Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why is the currency the Florin?

Default Why is the currency the Florin?

All things considered, CA are being very nice to the English community by having the currency an English Medieval coin which was in circulation for absolute maximum 18 months, a gold coin which was overvalued by the Crown who minted it.

Why not have it the Ducat? A far more succesful coin which was first minted in 1180 by a Sicilian King, then became the standard currency of Italy AND, check this, was accepted and in high demand all over Europe. Perfect for the Medieval 2 Total War currency.

I am also highly surprised to find out that the Ducat only was retracted from circulation before World War 1. It has got to be the longest standing currency ever.

P.S. This is not a whine! I don't really care I just wanted to know.
    Last edited by Lorenzo_H; 03-05-2007 at 23:04.
    I support Israel

Default Re: Why is the currency the Florin?

It's the ubiquitous Italian florin, not the obscure English florin. If you are going to whine about historical accuracy please make sure you know what you are talking about beforehand.

Hear hear,

It's this one:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_coin_florin

Before adopting the Euro in 2002, the Dutch (we) denominated amounts of guilders as 'hfl 100,-' in which the fl still stood for florin. (I think the 'h' stood for Holland, not sure). So the influence of this old Italian coin lasted that long. There are still a number of national currencies (like the Hungarian Forint) named after this coin. The name Florin was even a candidate for the common European currency, but lost out to the much more drab 'Euro'. So all in all a pretty accurate choice.
    Hebban olla uogala nestas bigunnan hinase hic enda thu

Quote Originally Posted by Furious Mental
    It's the ubiquitous Italian florin, not the obscure English florin. If you are going to whine about historical accuracy please make sure you know what you are talking about beforehand.

Wow dude I wasn't trying to whine about anything! I'm not the type to worry about historical accuracy I don't mind!

Didn't know there was an Italian florin... sorry my Medieval History is not as strong as my Renaissance history.
    I support Israel

And the English florin was in circulation for a lot longer than 18 months. Dig through your father's drawers, find an old pre-decimal currency two-shilling piece, flip it over and take a close look at the name on the coin. You may be surprised by what you see.

Dyslexic agnostic insomniac Senior Member Goofball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Furious Mental
    Wow. You sure pwnd him! Thanks for your contribution. The Org is now a better place for it.

Not.
    "What, have Canadians run out of guns to steal from other Canadians and now need to piss all over our glee?"

- TSM

To tell you the truth, the florin just sounds natural. I like the sound of the word and its a lot better than Mark or some other foreign name. I am glad they didn't change it nor does it change on the faction that you play.
    Work, Girlfriend, Responsibilities, Reality, Kids, and MTW - all things in life make life worth living.

Edit October 17th, 2007
    Work-Still hate it but I appreciate having it more now.
    Girlfriend - ? - looks like I am helping Nga now. Miss sex though.
    Responsibilities, Too many bills to too little money
    Reality - (Censored)
    Kids - My son is improving a little bit each day, still far behind but I may have more kids in the future.
    MTW - Kingdoms installed but...Urggg, too soon.
    ----------------
    Conclusion, Life is worth Living now.

Amphibious Trebuchet Salesman Member Whacker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Budwise
    To tell you the truth, the florin just sounds natural. I like the sound of the word and its a lot better than Mark or some other foreign name. I am glad they didn't change it nor does it change on the faction that you play.
    I tend to agree with the first part at least, Florin just sounds like a good currency type to use. Plus as Diablo pointed out, it probably also has something to do with our devs being brits and ex-brits. And Budwise, I actually think that's a nifty idea there, having the currency name change depending on what faction you use. Just a thought.

@ Goofball:

"Justice is the firm and continuous desire to render to everyone
    that which is his due."
    - Justinian I

Quote Originally Posted by Whacker
    And Budwise, I actually think that's a nifty idea there, having the currency name change depending on what faction you use. Just a thought.

@ Goofball:
    Thanks, I didn't mean to imply that it was a bad idea. I just think of it more like we see the European Euro now. Even knowing that I am from the US, I still hear about that more than the British Pound or old style Marcs from Germany.
    Work, Girlfriend, Responsibilities, Reality, Kids, and MTW - all things in life make life worth living.

Edit October 17th, 2007
    Reality - (Censored)
    Kids - My son is improving a little bit each day, still far behind but I may have more kids in the future.
    ----------------

Senior Member Senior Member Forward Observer's Avatar

Personally, I would rather that they used something more creative such as scratch, g-notes, smackers, moola, smackaroos, buckaroos, pesos, denaro, shekels, greenbacks, cabbage, or my personal favorite--big-uns.

Just think how pleased one would be after sacking Milan and scoring 15,000 big-uns--I know it would certainly make my day.
    Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.

Quote Originally Posted by Forward Observer
    Personally, I would rather that they used something more creative such as scratch, g-notes, smackers, moola, smackaroos, buckaroos, pesos, denaro, shekels, greenbacks, cabbage, or my personal favorite--big-uns.

Just think how pleased one would be after sacking Milan and scoring 15,000 big-uns--I know it would certainly make my day.
    Scratch all that, this is teh winnar. Hands down. No contest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rai_stones

Edit:

I'd like to place all blame for this thread and any hilarity, insanity, etc squarely on diablodelmar's shoulders. That is all. Have a nice day.
    Last edited by Whacker; 03-06-2007 at 03:24.

that which is his due."
    - Justinian I

Florins are the de facto standard in MTW/M2TW because they were the de facto standard among many nations in medieval europe.

They are not made up, and they are not being turned into something they weren't. Most of the centers of merchant exchange and more importantly banking were in Italy. Therefore most rulers had bank accounts in Italy and the accounts were denominated in Florins. This is also why so many nations ended up calling one or another of their own currencies florins.
    propa·gandist n.

A person convinced that the ends justify the memes.

Welsh Cossack Member Czar Alexsandr's Avatar

I believe the medival currency was the Byzant for a good period of time. But then later.. thosse meddling Italians started minting the Florin, and around the same time the Byzantine empire really started to get ill it became the standard currency.

And of course other kingdoms did have coins and what not.. but Italy and the Byzantines were the only ones who could actually back their money. For a good amount of time anyhow.

(disclaimer. Czar Alexsandr really doesn't hate Italians. He's just a bit ticked they're not exactally helping his fellow bearded Orthodox friends. )

"Hope is the last to die." Russian Proverb.

what word did they use for currency in rtw and stw?

RTW was the denari, and STW was the koku.

PS: Greetings fellow RDU resident.

that which is his due."
    - Justinian I

Sorry if that came off rather rude. But it's not that uncommon in computer games to get people actually whining about something supposedly being inaccurate only for it turn out that it's not inaccurate it's simply counter-intuitive, and after a while those sorts of complaints get tiresome.

Yeah I have seen it too often myself.

My main question actaully was simply "why did they choose the florin?" And not "stupid people chose the florin why didnt they choose the thing that I wanted?"
    I support Israel

I am currently reading the famous "Frankenstein" by Mary Shelley, and I was most surprised to see in Chapter 5 the mention of "florins."

Was the florin still in circulation around 1818, the time of the publication?
    I support Israel

Just look it up in Wikipedia. It was based on the Bezant, and just about everyone copied it, and everyone had bank accounts in it. So as far as Western Europe is concerned, that was THE coin to trade in. Too bad we can't have multiple names for currencies in a game; Orthodox could have Bezants that were basically the same thing different name... just not sure what the Islamic factions would have.

There are STILL active currencies in the world the go by the name Florin. Aruba and Hungary at least.
    Last edited by JCoyote; 03-07-2007 at 23:43.
    propa·gandist n.

Well, it REALLY shouldn't be hard to change that and make an appropriate one for each faction. It's just changing the name really... However, that's 99,9% certainly hard-coded....
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Unfortunately as a change it would absolutely require programming code. Just a half dozen lines of if-then, but still, it would require code in the executables if there isn't already some in there to do it. Because the game has to recognize the faction and alter its text based on that.

It wouldn't be hard at all, anyone with a couple programming classes under their belt could do it easily, but it's not a change text files could make unless they already did it and haven't used it.

Though now I'm getting an odd desire to see a more robust economic engine... exchange rates and such... reflecting economics, influence, and merchant activity... But boy would that drive a lot of people crazy. Obviously whatever is in the bank would be at standard florins. But exchange rates would impact economic interactions on a smaller level.
    propa·gandist n.

as many foreign sentences and phrases go the words often times are switched around making it difficult for an english person to properly interpret some simple to understand words in a phrase.

the origin of the florin being something valuable, people would often times hide their precious money from the tax man by stashing it under the wood of the floor of their home.

after some time the said money was given a humerous nickname "in the floor" and by the time the nickname became a serious term it was corrupted to "florin" .

no need to thank me for the enlightenment.

Harbinger of... saliva Member alpaca's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Forward Observer

What, you mean like this? Weeeeird

Last edited by alpaca; 03-08-2007 at 00:19.

lol how did you change the currency to big-uns?

thats cool i wander if you could make it dollars. that way i only have to pay about 800 dollars to buy a crack unit of swiss guard and only 185 dollars every two years to keep them.

Member Member Chaos Cornelius lucius's Avatar
    Off in the woods with my longbow wondering where my arrow went...

Searching through the spare change jar yesterday I came up with a New Zealand 1964 florin, so they were still in use until fairly recently.

Default Wikipedia says

Florin
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Jump to: navigation, search
    Florin may refer to these modern currencies:

Aruban florin.
    Hungarian forint.
    Florin may also refer to any several obsolete coins:

Italian coin florin, minted in Florence in 1252 (origin of name "florin"), first gold coin minted in Western Europe (see also bezants).
    Guilder, used in the Netherlands from 1279-2002.
    Florin (English coin), a coin valued at six shillings, used only in 1344.
    German florin, used from 1680-1790.
    Florin (British coin), a two-shilling coin produced from 1849 to 1970.
    Austrian florin, used from 1857-1892.
    Australian florin, used from 1910-1966.
    Irish florin coin, another two-shilling coin produced from 1928 to 1968.
    Florin is also a name. People named Florin include:

Carl Rudolf Florin (1894-1965), Swedish botanist.
    In fiction, Florin may refer to:

A currency unit in the computer game Medieval Total War.
    A country in William Goldman's The Princess Bride.
    Florin is also the name of a neighborhood in unincorporated Sacramento County, California, adjacent to the cities of Sacramento and Elk Grove.

Edit October 17th, 2007
    Reality - (Censored)
    ----------------

Australian florins? There was nothing special about them. "Florin" was just a name for a two shillings coin.

Senior Member Senior Member Forward Observer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by alpaca
    What, you mean like this? Weeeeird

Thanks, Alpaca. That made my day--lol!
    Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.

why doesnt just each faction have different currencies?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast