Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Videogame: Total War

Charge Men............Retreat! Member The Foolish Horseman's Avatar

Default Videogame: Total War

hey all.

Im hoping to recruit some people to help me with Videogame: Total war.

VG:TW is a game where all of your favourite video games characters are the units (mario riding yoshi= Super Mario Cavalry) and your fav developers (Nintendo, Sega etc) are the factions. It is only a basic idea at the moment, but it would be very original and entertaining for those who want a break from normal total war.

The Facts:

M2 and RTW mods
    Online campaign ( we hope)
    Campaign
    Historical Battles (battle of the consoles etc)
    Hopefully ready end of 2007/ early 2008 (give me time to recruit etc)
    Moderators - Ultrawar ( if we get it running),Me and Quintus of Pompeii
    Needed:

Skinners
    Coder
    Modellers
    2d Artist
    animators
    Mappers- Jkarinen (elevations)

anybody interested in helping this totally unrun of the mill game, post below, or PM me

Thanks

Before anyone says, copyright is sorted

It may be hard, but its not impossible
    Last edited by The Foolish Horseman; 03-07-2007 at 20:33.

IN Total War I Trust!!

The Foolish Horseman, previously known as GBB

The Ultimate Grand Inquisitor! Member UltraWar's Avatar

Default Re: Videogame: Total War

I doubt this mod will even get off the starting block mostly due to the amount of copyright infringements available

Copyright not an issue
    as long as i state in credits etc where the copyright lies

i have a m8 who is a lawyer so i did check with him first

IN Total War I Trust!!

If all is fine, use digression. Sometimes, copyrights can be a dangerous thing. I'll join as a moderator if this mod has the go ahead plus has a chance of survival.

Post Re: Videogame: Total War

Hi General Boreaus,
    May I suggest that you read this *very* long copyright file first before attempting to create this modification. On there I think there is a search function which should hopefully enable you to find the copyright for the characters you desire to use. Sorry to shatter your dreams for this modification, but I think that it could be a little risky and we don't want a fellow Org member getting sued because of a mod. Hope this helps you, cheers!
    Last edited by Omanes Alexandrapolites; 03-06-2007 at 21:17.
    Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go back to bed

Quote Originally Posted by Omanes Alexandrapolites the Idiot
    Hi General Boreaus,
    May I suggest that you read this *very* long copyright file first before attempting to create this modification. On there I think there is a search function which should hopefully enable you to find the copyright for the characters you desire to use. Sorry to shatter your dreams for this modification, but I think that it could be a little risky and we don't want a fellow Org member getting sued because of a mod. Hope this helps you, cheers!
    You would need to ask each company in turn to borrow their characters/property etc. for the mod

that is wrong because look at all the mario/ sonic etc sppofs on youtube

essentially all im doing is advertising their characters more and those spoofs are legally allowed to be their

Proved you wrong for once Omanes

IN Total War I Trust!!

Quote Originally Posted by General Boreaus Brittanicus
    that is wrong because look at all the mario/ sonic etc sppofs on youtube
    Sorry, yet I disagree. You can find all sorts of videos on YouTube, even films which you can only buy in the shops - sadly not everything on YouTube is legal.

Omanes, i wont be sued

end of

People needed!!

IN Total War I Trust!!

come on people.

New modders/skinners etc welcome. New mappers welcome. Need 1 more moderator (3 needed, me , Ultrawar and....you?)

IN Total War I Trust!!

Sorry to break the news to you, yet, our little talk about legal matters has probably driven everybody away. Sorry about that.

You may get more from dedicated modders in the Mod Discussion forum for R:TW, many experts pop by there. Good luck, cheers!
    Last edited by Omanes Alexandrapolites; 04-24-2007 at 21:16.

Hi General Boreaus,

you can get around all this stuff by slightly changing the names i think??

PS: I would like to join as a mapper though i can give elevation and the such not textures
    Last edited by Veho Nex; 03-07-2007 at 20:15.
    Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
    By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
    Quote Originally Posted by North Korea
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

Just your average Senior Member Warmaster Horus's Avatar
    Besancon, France: a stepping stone to greatness. I hope.

Just by curiosity, what do you imagine the campaign map to look like? Cos' it's kind of difficult to imagine Super Mario Cavalry attacking Elite Sonic Pikemen in the middle east, or in Mario Land, or any real/established fictional place.
    The Throne Room: "Less a forum, more a way of life." Econ21
    Don't hesitate to visit the Mead Hall! A little more reading, a little less shouting, please.
    Join the latest greatest installement of mafia games: Capo di Tutti Capi!
    Check out the Gahzette!
    By the by, are you interested in helping out the Gahzette? Think you could be a writer, reporting on the TW or Org community? Then check the Gahzette Thread or drop me a PM!

Back.

the campaign map will be europe, america, japan and there will be an expansion thing planned where you get super mario land etc

IN Total War I Trust!!

Hi Videogame: Total War team,
    I'm sorry to say that I may have got here a little late for this, yet may I suggest that you try and slow down a little. Creating two "clone" modifications for two games at once will be tricky and time consuming, so perhaps you could start with R:TW first, fully moddable to it's greatest extent at the moment, and then try your hand at playing with the great, currently only partially moddable, files of almighty M2:TW. I am sorry to be a dampener on your hopes and dreams yet I don't want to see your mod collapse because you guys have taken on a little too much work at once! I wish you the best of luck with your idea for a modification and gathering a team, good luck again, cheers!

Hi Videogame: Total War team,
    I'm sorry to say that I may have got here a little late for this, yet may I suggest that you try and slow down a little. Creating two "clone" modifications for two games at once will be tricky and time consuming, so perhaps you could start with R:TW first, fully moddable to it's greatest extent at the moment, and then try your hand at playing with the great, currently only partially moddable, files of almighty M2:TW. I am sorry to be a dampener on your hopes and dreams yet I don't want to see your mod collapse because you guys have taken on a little too much work at once! I wish you the best of luck with your idea for a modification and gathering a team, good luck again, cheers!
    Valid Point. May i say on Behalf of the VG:TW team that the RTW version will be the one we do first, as like you say, it is fully moddable. it will be time consuming, but we will somehow get through. Incidentally, we have an off site modder on team as well who can edit our script files for us.

The VG:TW team

IN Total War I Trust!!

an interesting Mod idea. As for copyright, each company will have its own rules regarding every piece of material they own the rights to. You obviously cannot make this Mod commercial in anyway as that would be copyright infringement.

You might also want to consider the fact that yes you think you will be advertising their product to the world so to speak, but perhaps they don't want you to do that, hence why they copyrighted the products.

Good Luck.

P.S. I agree with Omanes wholeheartedly on this thread. Don't set your sights too high, you cannot get to the Finish without crossing the Start line.

Handler of candles Member Xehh II's Avatar

The video game: total war idea is as bad as the narnia: total war idea.
    A ha ha! Rainbows and unicorns! Rainbows and unicorns!

I disagree, neither Mod is a bad idea. All creation is good!

However I do believe that both ideas entail a lot more work than the creators realise. I am working on a simple forum-based game, and it has taken a team some weeks to do. Still a llittle way to go. It was more work than I thought.

So I would suggest doing your Mod in stages. Start small and build from your original idea.

Beauty hunter Senior Member Raz's Avatar

Just as long as doesn't turn out like a certain other mod for Morrowind.
    TES: III fans would know what I'm on about. ~_^
    Quote Originally Posted by drone
    I imagine an open-source project to recreate [Medieval: Total War] would be faced with an army of high-valour lawyers.

Live your life out on Earth; I'm going to join the Sun.

Quote Originally Posted by Xehh II
    The video game: total war idea is as bad as the narnia: total war idea.
    There, you are joining the idea of what CA should do next! An engine, and lots and lots of differents "campaigns", therefore the videogame fans would have their game, but those who don't like it would have something else to nibble!

Member Member General Xtianus Elaxus's Avatar

Thumbs up Re: Videogame: Total War

Quote Originally Posted by General Boreaus Brittanicus
    Valid Point. May i say on Behalf of the VG:TW team that the RTW version will be the one we do first, as like you say, it is fully moddable. it will be time consuming, but we will somehow get through. Incidentally, we have an off site modder on team as well who can edit our script files for us.

The VG:TW team
    I agree with General Boreaus Brittanicus and the VG:TW team because the RTW version wont take as long and as he says it is fully moddable and it will be an easier starter for the team and when they have finished it they would have more experience on the matter and VG:TW will come out far better

Dragonforce ..................... Listen
    Total War ..................... Play
    Movies ...................... Watch

Total Conversions take months, sometimes even years! I doubt it will be done especially soon, perhaps a few years, that is, if they get permission from the companies.

lol great idea doubt copyright will be to much of a problem who wil rule where?

Member Member Captain Vulcan Firebird's Avatar
    Surrounded by fire in the depths of hell eating a cheese burrito

hi, i'm the artist for the game and to everyone worried about copywrite and the like, GBB has got it all covered. i know him in person, unlike you guys, and believe me-dont worry yourselves with the copywrite infringements.
    there, you can sleep well tonight(!)
    boo ya
    Cpt. vulcan FIREBIRD
    Veni.Vidi.Vici

Member Member General Xtianus Elaxus's Avatar

Dont worry sandrey knows some people and as long as he mentions everything on the credits he can get away with anything although he is having some trouble with movie charecters i have some incredible ideas that will blow minds i can get codes for plenty of street fighter charecters such as ninja vega and warrior ryu with guns that fire shyaddukken (Fireballs that he can make with his hands in the game). All these amazing fighters are for the godlike CAPCOM faction. Having trouble with movie charecters then just change them slightly such as superdude and batguy maybe if your feeling in a sick mood James Bondage

Dragonforce ..................... Listen
    Total War ..................... Play
    Movies ...................... Watch

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

I am an attorney licensed to practice in Virginia and Washington DC. I have studied IP law extensively and I even practiced it for a short period of time (though I do not anymore).

Yes, this mod will violate copyright. However, it appears like it will also be covered by the Fair Use doctrine. The Fair Use doctrine can be found at 17 U.S.C. § 107. In my professional opinion, this mod falls under Fair Use because it is (1) not being created for commercial purposes and (2) highly unlikely to have any impact on the sale of the original copyrighted works. As such, it is my professional opinion that, while this mod will violate copyright, it will fall under the Fair Use exception and thus is acceptable under US law.

Since this is a professional legal opinion, and I'm an attorney, I do of course need to state the following. I am not licensed to practice law outside the United States. This advice does not apply to international copyright law or to any national copyright law. I make no comment whatsoever about whether this mod will violate the laws of another nation or political entity. By giving this advice I am not consenting to represent you in any court of law or before any other legal entity. This advice is predicated on the information provided to me by the above posters. Any information which was not included in this thread before I posted has not been considered and may change the legality of the mod. I advise you to consult a licensed attorney in your place of residence before engaging in any activity that may violate a law of your locality, state, nation, or governing body.

Have a nice day.

Member Member Captain Vulcan Firebird's Avatar
    Surrounded by fire in the depths of hell eating a cheese burrito

Nobody listen to Xianus's ideas they all suck
    Cpt. vulcan FIREBIRD
    Veni.Vidi.Vici

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

As much as you might like bagging a friend, bagging anyone on this forum is a nono

Please refrain from publicly bagging him, just bag him in RL or in PM's.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast