Page 8 of 236 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858108 ... LastLast

Thread: News of the Weird

Default Re: News of the Weird

You want weird? I'll give you weird....

According to his Toronto lawyer, Daniel Brodsky, Rosato was arrested after repeatedly complaining to police that, in a scenario reminiscent of the film Invasion of the Body Snatchers, the actor's wife and their infant daughter had gone missing, having been replaced by imposters.

Brodsky explains that the Crown's expert prison psychiatrist, Dr. Duncan Scott, has told him and the Crown "that Tony Rosato is certifiable." Scott's diagnosis, says Brodsky, is a mental illness called Capgras syndrome.

Named for its discoverer, French psychiatrist Jean Marie Joseph Capgras, the syndrome is characterized by the delusion that a person or people have been replaced by doubles or impostors.
    http://www.thestar.com/News/article/213298

OK. Weird enough?
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

L'Etranger Senior Member Banquo's Ghost's Avatar
    Hunting the Snark, a long way from Tipperary...

Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Hmm? Is making coffee out of cat poo weird?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle1801189.ece

(Not when you can sell if for $50 a cup)
    I'm feline sick now, but it does give one paws for thought. I assume the Tea Rooms provide stools?
    "If there is a sin against life, it consists not so much in despairing as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this one."
    Albert Camus "Noces"

Quote Originally Posted by Banquo's Ghost
    I'm feline sick now, but it does give one paws for thought. I assume the Tea Rooms provide stools?
    The way I figure it, you've only got 7 lives left after those first two (bad!) puns BG. However, the last one is brilliant - you definitely do not need kitty litter for that one.
    This space intentionally left blank

This is very sad....and yet strangely weird at the same time......

A window cleaner drowned in his bucket of water after suddenly collapsing while he worked, an inquest heard.

Mark Fairhurst, 35, of Wigan, Greater Manchester, was found by customer Elizabeth Bebe in June 2006 with his head submerged in water.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/m...er/6667043.stm

There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

I can't help thinking that if he had kicked the bucket then he wouldn't have kicked the bucket...
    "If there is a sin against life, it consists not so much in despairing as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this one."
    Albert Camus "Noces"

Quote Originally Posted by Banquo's Ghost
    I can't help thinking that if he had kicked the bucket then he wouldn't have kicked the bucket...
    I would have said so meself, only I thought I'd let one of our resident wags have the pleasure.

Death by in pailing - what a terrible way to go.

I saw this a couple of weeks ago, and then I lost it. Now I've found it again.

Fancy a curry?

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Wife put excrement in man's curry

Jill Martin pleaded guilty to culpable and reckless conduct

A disgruntled wife has admitted feeding her estranged husband a curry containing dog excrement after their relationship broke down.

Jill Martin, 47, pleaded guilty at Paisley Sheriff Court to culpable and reckless conduct against husband Donald Martin.

During the hearing, defence solicitor Terry Gallanagh likened the case to "an episode of Desperate Housewives".

Sheriff G.W.Sinclair deferred sentence on Martin until 1 November.

Depute Fiscal Margaret Dunnipace told the court that on 13 March, after placing the dinner in front of her husband Donald and watching him start to eat it, Martin had burst out laughing.
    At that time, she believed he had started an affair although those fears turned out to be unfounded
    Terry Gallanagh
    Defence agent

At first she claimed she had laced the dish with arsenic but then confessed she had added dog excrement instead.

The court heard that the couple had been married for 21 years but in recent years their relationship "had hit an all time low".

Mr Gallanagh claimed that his client had endured "continued mental abuse" over a period of about five years which had taken its toll on her.

Divorce proceedings

He said Mr Martin had routinely questioned his wife's parental skills and had started a new business venture without her knowledge.

He added: "At that time, she believed he had started an affair although those fears turned out to be unfounded."

Following her arrest for the incident, Martin was banned from going anywhere near her husband or the matrimonial home in Langrig Road, Newton Mearns.

The couple have now begun divorce proceedings.

Deferring sentence until 1 November, Sheriff Sinclair said that he felt it would be wise to allow more time for matters to be resolved and ordered Martin to be of good behaviou

Kanto Kanrei Member Marshal Murat's Avatar

"Nietzsche is dead" - God

"I agree, although I support China I support anyone discovering things for Science and humanity." - lenin96

Re: Pursuit of happiness
    Have you just been dumped?

I ask because it's usually something like that which causes outbursts like this, needless to say I dissagree completely.

Hand Bacon Member ShadeHonestus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marshal Murat's article
    Swedish historians speculate the ship was deliberately wrecked as an insurance fraud, and believe the Captain and ship's owner sold the cargo in London.
    Best part of the story right there...
    "There is a true glory and a true honor; the glory in duty done and the honor in the integrity of principle."

"The truth is this; the march of Providence so long, that of the individual so brief, that we often only see the ebb of the advancing wave. It is history which teaches us to hope."

Medical Welshman in London. Senior Member Big King Sanctaphrax's Avatar
    Cardiff in the summer, London during term time.

Oh man, I cannot believe I missed that.
    Co-Lord of BKS and Beirut's Kingdom of Peace and Love.

"Handsome features, rugged exteriors, intellectual chick magnets, we're pretty much twins."-Beirut

"Rhy, where's your helicopter now? Where's your ******* helicopter now?"-Mephistopheles.

Blog Entries

Brush Your Teeth With AntiFreeze!

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/19/wo...rssnyt&emc=rss

How do I set up a Link without all the gibberish??
    Last edited by Samurai Waki; 05-20-2007 at 10:01.

[url=full link to website]text you want displayed[/url]
    From wise men, O Lord, protect us -anon
    The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of millions, a statistic -Stalin
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

Weirdest one yet.

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

The Chinese are coming for Panama. Oh noes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

It is ironic that a toothpasted called Mr. Cool has anti-freeze accidentally(?) put in it.

Air stewardess curries favour with terrorists.

Exploding curry menaces 747

£20k of damage in microwave mishap
    By Lester Haines
    Published Monday 21st May 2007 10:43 GMT

Forget binary liquid explosives, a British Airways stewardess has shown how it's really done by popping her curry ready meal into a 747's club class microwave, with explosive results.

The spicy blast - caused by the supermarket-bought nosh's inability to withstand the might of the double-strength airborne microwave - provoked crew on the Heathrow to Miami jaunt to deploy a fire extinguisher "to douse the blazing oven".

The jumbo subsequently needed days of repairs totalling £20,000, The Sun notes. This prompted BA to circulate details of the incident in a secret email memo to long haul crews, chillingly entitled "Microwave incident". The missive notes that food intended for high-altitude reheating needs "special packaging" since the aircraft's ovens have twice the power output of your ground-based domestic model.

Accordingly, staff are now banned from preparing their own tucker in 747s' club class microwaves. One BA employee lamented: "Many cabin crew like to bring their own meals to eat. At first we thought the microwaves were a godsend. But this unfortunate incident has left us with egg on our faces."

BA stressed that at no time during the curry-based emergency were passengers or the aircraft at risk.
    Albert Camus "Noces"

Got to wonder why they didn't just put in normal microwaves
    From wise men, O Lord, protect us -anon
    The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of millions, a statistic -Stalin
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

He beats me, but I love him.

Woman still likes gorilla despite attack

Mon May 21, 2007 8:41AM EDT

AMSTERDAM (Reuters) - A 57-year-old Dutch woman who was attacked by a gorilla at a Rotterdam zoo said the ape was still her favorite even though she felt she was going to die when he bit her.

"I go to the zoo almost every day with my husband, and we're always going to see Bokito. I even have pictures and videos from Berlin when he was only four months old," the woman told Dutch mass-circulation daily Telegraaf.

"He is and remains my darling," the paper quoted the woman as saying from her hospital bed, where she is being treated for bite wounds and a broken arm and wrist. The 11-year old male gorilla burst out of its enclosure on Friday and went on a rampage in the zoo's cafeteria before being recaptured.

"I stood by the small apes in the Africa section when I heard a thud behind me. I turned around and there was Bokito. I had nowhere to go. He gripped me, sat on me with his full weight and began biting me," the woman told the Telegraaf.

"I could only think 'O God, I'm going to die, I'm going to die'."

The Telegraaf said people had since come from across the country to Rotterdam Zoo to see the gorilla.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Hmmm....can't send her to a Battered wife shelter, but she clearly needs some help.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Novel legal defense: Mom blames Satan for putting baby in microwave.

May 20, 2007, 1:10PM, Associated Press

Mom blames Satan for burning baby in microwave

GALVESTON — A woman blames the devil and not her husband for severely burning their infant daughter after the 2-month-old was put in a microwave, a Houston television station reported.

Eva Marie Mauldin said Satan compelled her 19-year-old husband, Joshua Royce Mauldin, to microwave their daughter May 10 because the devil disapproved of Joshua's efforts to become a preacher.

"Satan saw my husband as a threat. Satan attacked him because he saw (Joshua) as a threat," Eva Mauldin told Houston television station KHOU-TV.

A Galveston County grand jury indicted Joshua Mauldin last week on child injury charges after hearing evidence that he placed his daughter in a motel microwave for 10 to 20 seconds.

The infant, Ana Marie, remains hospitalized. She suffered burns on the left side of her face and to her left hand, police said.

Eva Marie Mauldin, the girl's 20-year-old mother, told the television station that her husband is "not the monster people are making him out to be."

"That was not my husband; my husband is a wonderful father," she said. "Satan was working through his weaknesses."

Eva Maudlin described those weaknesses as an undisclosed mental disability, and that her efforts to get help for him have failed.

Police said Joshua Mauldin told them he put Ana Marie in the microwave because he was under stress. The family had arrived in Galveston the day before.

Eva Maudlin, who met her husband in an Arkansas church, denied those claims by police.

"He would never do anything to hurt her. He loves her," she said. "When she cries he is the one who comforts her. When she is sick, he is the one that takes her to the doctor."

Joshua Mauldin, of Warren, Ark., came to Galveston with his wife and mother because he was called to be a preacher, his wife said. While Joshua Mauldin's mother has returned to Arkansas, Eva Mauldin remains in Galveston.

She is hoping to be reunited with her daughter, but Child Protective Services is working to have her and Joshua Mauldin's parental rights severed. A custody hearing for the infant is scheduled for later this week in a Galveston district court.

Joshua Mauldin faces a charge of injury to a child causing serious bodily harm, which carries a possible prison term of five to 99 years, as well as a fine of up to $10,000.

Eva Mauldin has set up a MySpace page, "Joshua Mauldin is not a Monster," in hopes of defending her husband and making pleas for people to help her.

Jillian & Allison's Daddy Senior Member Don Corleone's Avatar

It's a miracle!! It's an honest to goodness Act of Divine Mercy!!! Men around the globe can breathe a little more easily tonight

Pill ends women's periods.
    Last edited by Don Corleone; 05-21-2007 at 22:19.
    "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
    Don Vito Corleone: The Godfather, Part 1.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

Jillian & Allison's Daddy Senior Member Don Corleone's Avatar

Who's your Daddy?

Hopefully, neither of these cretins. And the mother doesn't sound like the paragon of virtue either. Apparently, she nailed not one, but both identical twin brothers in the same day, virtually guaranteeing that the identity of her daughter's father will never be known.

And how do these fine upstanding gentleman behave? Agree to split the child support? Do the noble thing and pay the entire amount, with the 50% chance they may actually be supporting their child, with the hopes of getting the money back from their twin brother down the road, should they ever be proven to be wrong? Nope. These two pieces of walking excrement are allowing their daughter or niece to grow up alienated and broke.

Capital punishment is too good for some people.
    Last edited by Don Corleone; 05-21-2007 at 23:03.
    "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
    Don Vito Corleone: The Godfather, Part 1.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

Quote Originally Posted by "Who's your Daddy" article
    "Look, she had a bunch of girlfriends to the rodeo and they got drunk and she went banging on Raymon's door trying to have sex," Copeland said.
    I think Raymon's door is the father...

I do not know if this is exactly weird but it shows that some category of population can have some difficulties to satisfy their phantasms.

Egypt cleric retracts 'nursing' edict

http://www.metimes.com/storyview.php...1-030414-2684r

Egypt cleric retracts 'nursing' edict
    AFP

May 21, 2007

CAIRO -- A professor at Egypt's Islamic Al Azhar university Monday retracted a controversial religious edict which states that a woman can only be left alone with a strange man if she breastfeeds him.

Ezzat Attia, president of the university's Hadith department which studies traditions based on the Prophet Mohammed's words and deeds, withdrew his fatwa and apologized for any inconvenience he caused, in a statement distributed by Al Azhar, Sunni Islam's main seat of learning.

Attia's edict, which sparked an uproar in the media, stated that a woman can only be alone with a man to whom she is not related - such as an office colleague - if she nurses him "directly from her breast" at least five times.

In his retraction, Attia said the fatwa had been a result of his personal analysis of Islamic texts and was in fact "a bad interpretation of a particular case" during the time of Prophet Mohammed.

According to Mabruk Attia, a professor of theology at Al Azhar, the Prophet had advised a woman to nurse her adult adopted son, to become his wet nurse, following an Islamic ban on adoption.

The woman gave the man her milk from a bowl, and not directly from her breast, Mabruk Attia said.

The fatwa sparked a furore in Egyptian and Arab religious circles and in the press.

"If the country's top cleric himself had made the same statements, he would not be considered respectable," Malika Yussef, a professor of theology at Al Azhar told the weekly Al Karama paper. She said even debating the issue was "insane."

"When you walk into a government building, you should not be shocked to find a 50-year-old civil servant suckling his colleague," the independent daily Al Dustur said ironically after the fatwa was issued.

Senior Member Senior Member English assassin's Avatar

"I want to go to the Supreme Court," Raymon told ABC News. "If they can't prove it's me then they should throw it out of court." And as for the child support, he said, "The state should eat it."
    Nice. Reeeally nice. Raymon is quite the family man, eh?

This would be a lot easier in the old testament. Solomon would have them both paying, in full, until they decide who the father is.

And in happier news:

Museum offered head for shrinking
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/6679697.stm

An artist is offering to donate his own head to an Oxford museum - if a collection of shrunken heads has to be returned to South America.
    Ted Dewan has written to Oxford University's Pitt Rivers Museum to offer his own head for shrinking.

Mr Dewan says that he hopes that any posthumous display of his head would have a "family friendly" appeal.
    Last edited by English assassin; 05-22-2007 at 14:53.
    "The only thing I've gotten out of this thread is that Navaros is claiming that Satan gave Man meat. Awesome." Gorebag

Quote Originally Posted by BBC
    Mr Dewan says that he hopes that any posthumous display of his head would have a "family friendly" appeal.
    Where's his sense of self-preservation? Clearly he's no shrinking violet.

Apologies to the pun masters.

In other news, gay flamingos have successfully adopted.

Gay flamingos pick up chick

Mon May 21, 12:03 PM ET

LONDON (AFP) - A pair of gay flamingos have adopted an abandoned chick, becoming parents after being together for six years, a British conservation organisation said Monday.

Carlos and Fernando had been desperate to start a family, even chasing other flamingos from their nests to take over their eggs at the Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust (WWT) in Slimbridge near Bristol.

But their egg-sitting prowess made them the top choice for taking an unhatched egg under their wings when one of the Greater Flamingo nests was abandoned.

The couple, together for six years, can feed chicks by producing milk in their throats.

"Fernando and Carlos are a same sex couple who have been known to steal other flamingos' eggs by chasing them off their nest because they wanted to rear them themselves," said WWT spokeswoman Jane Waghorn.

"They were rather good at sitting on eggs and hatching them so last week, when a nest was abandoned, it seemed like a good idea to make them surrogate parents."

Gay flamingos are not uncommon, she added.

"If there aren't enough females or they don't hit it off with them, they will pair off with other males," she said.

Indian train stops in "neutral zone":
    http://www.stuff.co.nz/4062956a4560.html

PATNA: Hundreds of Indian rail passengers got more than they had bargained for when the driver of their train asked them to get out and push.

It took more than half an hour to move the stalled electric train 12 feet (4 metres) so that it touched live overhead wires and was able to resume its journey, officials said on Wednesday.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Where's his sense of self-preservation? Clearly he's no shrinking violet.
    That's true Lemur, but clearly the guy needs to see a shrink.

Quote Originally Posted by Indian train article
    PATNA: Hundreds of Indian rail passengers got more than they had bargained for when the driver of their train asked them to get out and push.
    To which the passengers replied: "He wants us to do watt?"

Page 8 of 236 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858108 ... LastLast