Page 236 of 236 FirstFirst ... 136186226232233234235236
Results 7,051 to 7,070 of 7070

Thread: News of the Weird

Coffee farmer extraordinaire Member spmetla's Avatar

Default Re: News of the Weird

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    Well this was unexpected.
    lol, guess the Duck has decided on the negging approach to courtship!

"Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?"
    -Abraham Lincoln

Four stage strategy from Yes, Minister:
    Stage one we say nothing is going to happen.
    Stage two, we say something may be about to happen, but we should do nothing about it.
    Stage three, we say that maybe we should do something about it, but there's nothing we can do.
    Stage four, we say maybe there was something we could have done, but it's too late now.

Member thankful for this post:

Austrian man mummifies dead mother to keep receiving her social security
    https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/10/europ...ntl/index.html
    CNN)Austrian police have found the body of a woman who, they say, was mummified by her son so he could keep claiming her social security.

The 66-year-old man confessed to keeping his mother's body in the basement of a property in the Innsbruck-Land region of western Austria after officers visited the house on Saturday, according to a police statement sent to CNN on Friday.
    The 89-year-old woman is thought to have died in June 2020, police said, but the man kept her body in order to continue receiving her pension and care allowance.
    Why is it when there's weird news from my birthland that it's always the creepest shit?

-Abraham Lincoln

Stage two, we say something may be about to happen, but we should do nothing about it.
    Stage three, we say that maybe we should do something about it, but there's nothing we can do.
    Stage four, we say maybe there was something we could have done, but it's too late now.

Turkey: 'Missing' man joins search party looking for himself
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-58746703

A missing man in Turkey accidentally joined his own search party for hours before realising he was the person they were looking for, local media reports.

Beyhan Mutlu had been drinking with friends on Tuesday when he wandered into a forest in Bursa province.

When he failed to return, his wife and friends alerted local authorities and a search party was sent out.

Mr Mutlu, 50, then stumbled across the search party and decided to join them, NTV reported.

But when members of the search party began calling out his name, he replied: "I am here."
    He was taken aside by one of the rescuer workers to give a statement.

"Don't punish me too harshly, officer. My father will kill me," he reportedly told them.

Police then drove Mr Mutlu home. It is not clear if he was given a fine.

-Abraham Lincoln

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Just a bit of local news: Officials hope to capture loose zebras with new plan involving even more zebras

Prince George's County officials have revealed a new plan that they hope will lead to capturing two zebras that have been on the loose since the beginning of September.

Three zebras escaped from a farm in Upper Marlboro and the group has been roaming around the area ever since. Unfortunately, one of the zebras died when it was caught in an illegal snare trap on September 16.

According to a press release from Maryland's Department of Natural Resources, the new plan involves using more zebras. [...]

Officials say the owner and caretaker have taken two zebras from the herd and are keeping them in an enclosure in the center of a corral. The hope is that by utilizing food and the other zebras, the loose zebras will return to the corral and the herd.
    My money is that the other zebras free the two in the enclosure and the herd will grow. Fast forward to 2050, and the zebras have taken over Maryland.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    My money is that the other zebras free the two in the enclosure and the herd will grow. Fast forward to 2050, and the zebras have taken over Maryland.
    Can zebras ford the Potomac? Be a shame if they break into the fancy Middleburg pastures and start cranking out zorses...
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

I dont know, but that would be hilarious. Zebras are good swimmers according to google so Im sure theres a place for them to cross it.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

American Jews visit Syrian Jews in Damascus, but the biggest news is that healthcare tourism in Syria is booming:
    One group member said the visit was partially to receive dental care, which is far cheaper in Syria than in the United States.

One group member said the visit was partially to receive dental care, which is far cheaper in Syria than in the United States.
    Damn, you know he must be up to some funny business with a pretext like that. Almost all countries on the planet have cheaper dental care than the United States, most of them not Syria - including, uh, Canada and Mexico.

They should have called Operation Gideon a medical-tourist excursion to Venezuela for the lulz.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Meanwhile in Colombia...The warplane was super cute.

During illegal pushbacks (our prime-minister becomes super mad, when you mention them), an Italian interpreter working for Frontex, was beaten up, robbed and expelled to Turkey by the Greek police, which took him for a fellow immigrant.

At last...

SUICIDE MACHINE THAT CAN BE CONTROLLED BY BLINKING FACES ‘NO LEGAL ISSUES’ IN SWITZERLAND

A coffin-shaped capsule that allows occupants to kill themselves has passed legal review in Switzerland, according to its creators.

The Sarco machine can be operated from the inside –conceivably just by blinking if the person suffers from locked-in syndrome – and works by reducing the oxygen level in the pod to below a critical level.

The process takes less than a minute and death occurs through hypoxia and hypocapnia, which is intended to allow a person to die relatively peacefully and painlessly.
    “Gas may never be an acceptable method for assisted suicide in Europe due to the negative connotations of the Holocaust,” Dr Nitschke told The Independent in a 2018 interview. “Some have even said that it’s just a glorified gas chamber.”
    Bruh what it's veritably the opposite of a gas chamber.

I agree there should be alternative models available however:

In all seriousness, from a certain point of view this is the pinnacle of human ingenuity.
    Last edited by Montmorency; 12-09-2021 at 06:23.
    Vitiate Man.

Vitiate Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    "We do nothing wrong, on the contrary, we are super patient, please don't indulge in inflammatory rhetoric."

It's written perfectly. A few months ago, when Netanyahu tried a similar trick, he messed up and the tweet ended up being self-contradictory.
    Last edited by Crandar; 06-22-2022 at 17:36.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/goat-acci...5BiOCSIRspUwSx
    Goat accidentally neutralises several invaders in Zaporizhzhia Oblast
    Ukrayinska Pravda
    Mon, June 20, 2022, 11:30 AM?1 min read
    Mykhailo Zagorodniy ? Monday, 20 June 2022

A nanny goat has injured several Russian servicemen by triggering their tripwires with pinned grenades in the village of Kinski Rozdory in Zaporizhzhia Oblast.

Ukraine?s Chief Intelligence Directorate has shared a curious incident that happened at a local hospital.

A total of 40 invaders have been stationed at the medical institution in Kinski Rozdory.

The Russian military installed a "circular defence" and placed tripwires around the perimeter of the hospital.

The aggressors regretted this decision after a goat from a neighbouring farm decided to pay a visit to the hospital.

As the frightened animal moved chaotically around the area, she accidentally "disposed of" several grenades.

The unexpected "guest?s" actions triggered a chain reaction, wounding several Russian soldiers to varying degrees.

It is not currently known whether the goat survived the incident.
    Not sure if true or Ukrainian propaganda but believable anyhow, trip wire devices are usually pretty sensitive.

-Abraham Lincoln

U.S. funeral home owner who sold body parts pleads guilty to fraud
    https://www.reuters.com/legal/govern...ud-2022-07-05/
    July 5 (Reuters) - A former Colorado funeral home owner pleaded guilty on Tuesday to a federal charge of defrauding relatives of the dead by dissecting their family members' corpses and selling the body parts without permission, a practice exposed in a 2018 Reuters investigative report.

Megan Hess, who operated a funeral home called Sunset Mesa and a human body parts business called Donor Services from the same building, entered the plea to the charge of fraud at a hearing before U.S. Magistrate Judge Gordon Gallagher in Grand Junction, Colorado. Gallagher scheduled Hess, who had previously pleaded not guilty, to be sentenced in January, with the prosecution calling for 12 to 15 years in prison.

Hess, 45, admitted on Tuesday that through her funeral home, located in the town of Montrose in the western part of the state, she defrauded at least a dozen families seeking cremation services for deceased relatives. Instead of cremating the bodies, court records show, her body broker company harvested heads, spines, arms and legs and then sold them, mostly for surgical training and other educational purposes.

Hess had been scheduled to go on trial in three weeks along with her mother, Shirley Koch, who also previously pleaded not guilty. Koch's change-of-plea hearing is set for July 12.

After Assistant U.S. Attorney Jeremy Chaffin made his sentencing recommendation, the lawyer for Hess, Dan Shaffer, urged a lighter sentence of about two years in prison. Hess has been free on bond since her arrest.

During the hearing, the judge asked Hess to describe in her own words the crimes she committed. Hess initially called the whole affair a "legal travesty." When prodded by the judge, Hess agreed with the prosecution that she defrauded her victims, though she declined to go into detail.

Two family members and one friend of deceased people whose body parts were sold without permission by Hess spoke at the hearing. They told the judge that while they were still emotionally reeling from the episode and wanted to learn more details about what occurred, they welcomed the news that Hess had decided to plead guilty.

To increase sales, Hess targeted poor and vulnerable families as they grappled with a relative's final days, according to government court filings.

"Meeting with hospice on the 4th ... opening the floodgates of donors," Hess wrote to a prospective body-part buyer in 2014. "They have four or five deaths a day. Get ready!!!! ... How about a deal on full embalmed spines ... $950?"

Selling organs such as hearts, kidneys and tendons for transplant is illegal in the United States. But the sale of cadavers and body parts for use in research or education, which is what Hess did, is not regulated by federal law.

Few state laws provide any regulation, and almost anyone, regardless of expertise, can dissect and sell human body parts. After the Reuters 2018 investigation, Colorado's legislature strengthened the state's oversight.

Hess charged families up to $1,000 for cremations that never occurred, prosecutors said, and she also offered others a free cremation in exchange for a body donation. Many families received ashes from bins mixed with the remains of different cadavers, authorities said, and one client received concrete mix instead of a relative's ashes.

FBI agents found that Hess forged dozens of body-donor consent forms. In court documents, a former employee accused Hess of earning $40,000 by extracting and selling the gold teeth of some of the deceased, an allegation first revealed in the 2018 Reuters report.

The Reuters series uncovered the actions of Sunset Mesa and Donor Services. Former workers told Reuters about questionable practices at the facility, including the dismembering of bodies without the knowledge or consent of families.

About a month after the Reuters stories, the FBI raided the site and state regulators shuttered the funeral home and crematory. A federal grand jury indicted Hess and Koch in 2020.
    What an absolute sick person, find it weird too though how apparently unregulated selling body parts is to various institutions. If someone had given me cement mix instead of the ashes of my loved ones I don't think I'd deal with it that well or civil.
    Last edited by spmetla; 07-06-2022 at 02:50.

-Abraham Lincoln

selling body parts
    Very common 200 years ago, albeit in less civilized fashion.
    Vitiate Man.

Israel will now require foreign passport holders in a romantic relationship with a Palestinian resident of the West Bank to inform Israeli security authorities in writing at a dedicated e-mail address within 30 days of the relationship’s start.

@Hooahguy
    Vitiate Man.

That proposed law didnt end up being enacted btw.

Anyways, I present this without commentary.

Armed PA man in wig trying to ‘restore Trump as President’ arrested at Dairy Queen
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

For some mysterious reason, I can't access any news site mentioning the arrest.

Meanwhile, (again?) in Oklahoma.

Thanks for sharing

Page 236 of 236 FirstFirst ... 136186226232233234235236