Thread: Mercenary, Regional & Foreign units

Default Mercenary, Regional & Foreign units

GREEK MERCENARIES

Greek Hoplites

I modelled a separate part for the "linotorax" cuirass; the shape of the new part allows to set the pteruges (the lower fringes) in the actual right position to cover the abdomen and the pelvis, and not over the legs.

Greek Ekdromoi (light) Hoplites

I provided also a new part for the "perizoma" (abdominal protection) which is now separate from the tunic and has a more rigid look than the draps of the tunic.

Greek Peltastai
    The shape and the decorations of the shield are in the style of the Thracian pelte wich become very popular among the Greek light troops.

Rhodian Slingers
    I added also a kopis to the equipment of these light missile troops, since I supposed that well payed mercenaries like the Rhodians could afford some effective weapons to defend themselves if attacked in close combat.

Cretan Archers
    What distinguished the Cretan archer from his common counterpart was the bronze round shield. Shielded archers are depicted but rarely in Greek art, sometimes the shield looks as large as the hoplon, other times just smaller as the pelte. Often these archers have also the helmet, like the Chalcidian one used in our model that I drafted from a vase of the "Altamura painter". Following the hypothesis advanced by N.V. Sekunda I provided black tunics for our Cretans.

SPARTAN HOPLITES

Ekdromoi Hoplitai Lakedaimonoi - Spartan lower class light hoplites (perioikoi, neodamodeis, hypomeiones)

Hoplitai Lakedaimonoi - Spartan lower class hoplites (perioikoi, neodamodeis, hypomeiones)

Hoplitai Spartiatai - Spartan full citizens hoplites.

Models & skins by Luciano B. Thanks to Topus Magnus who provided his wonderful leather cuirass used in our "Hoplitai Lakedaimonoi".
    Last edited by Luciano B; 06-06-2007 at 14:47.

project creator & director

Default Re: Mercenary, Regional & Foreign units

SICULI

Sicel spearmen

Sicel light infantry

Sicel cavalry

SICANI

Sicanian Infantry

ELYMI

Elymian Peltasts

Elymian Hoplites
    Last edited by Luciano B; 06-06-2007 at 14:49.

CAMPANI

Campanian light spearmen

Campanian heavy spearmen

Campanian cavalry

Campanian heavy cavalry
    Last edited by Luciano B; 06-06-2007 at 14:50.

ILLYRIAN WARRIORS

Northern Illyrian spearmen, with Negau type helmet and oval shield

Northern Illyrian light infantry, with light axe, squared shield, and helmet reinforced by metal studs and disk, often referred as the "Smarteja" type

Northern Illyrian cavalry, equipped with javelins, axe and pot helmet, as depicted in the Vače belt; leather corslet reinforced by metal studs.

Southern Illyrian swordmen, with the typical curved sword and a late version of the "Illyrian" helmet; detail of the curved sword and of the scabbard

Southern Illyrian spearmen, with Greek greaves, Macedonian-style round shield and early type "Illyrian" helmet

Southern Illyrian cavalry; weapons and shield form the Gradista relief; helmet of Macedonian Type with a flat metal crest (similar to the one found in Lake Ochrida on the Illyrian-Macedonian border, inscribed with the name of the Ilyrian king Monunios)
    Last edited by Luciano B; 06-06-2007 at 14:50.

PICENTES

Heavy Infantry

Light Infantry

Cavalry
    Last edited by Luciano B; 06-06-2007 at 14:51.

FRENTANI

Spearmen

Light Infantry

Horsemen
    Last edited by Luciano B; 06-06-2007 at 14:52.

wow. beautiful looking units. i hadn't realized y'all had a subforum here, now i need to go look around!
    "The mere statement of fact, though it may excite our interest, is of no benefit to us, but when the knowledge of the cause is added, then the study of history becomes fruitful." -Polybios

Quote Originally Posted by paullus
    wow. beautiful looking units. i hadn't realized y'all had a subforum here, now i need to go look around!
    Thanks Paullus ...have a good time with our previews :)

Member Member Naughteous Maximus's Avatar

Tis not the work of mere mortals, but that of the Gods! Fantastic stuff; I had to pick my jaw up off the ground when I saw all the rich details and work involved. I look forward in greedy anticipation to the release of this masterpiece. How close are you guys to completing it?

Thanks Naughteous. We are currently working on a beta version of the mod. I can't give any release date, however...

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

Brilliant units! Looking forward to playing this one.

About how complete is this? It's looking prettyc lose to release to me!
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Quote Originally Posted by CountArach
    Brilliant units! Looking forward to playing this one.

About how complete is this? It's looking prettyc lose to release to me!
    Thanks ...again, I can't give a release date ...it depends upon what we decide to include or leave out in the first version.

You seems to have some incredible moders, here !

I'm impressed and now you can be sure I will stay there until I can get a beta !

Thank you Pelopidas! That's the kind of fan our team needs

BRILLIANT! I love the way this Mod is shaping up. Can't wait to play it. So much detail with the rise of Romani that gets left out when you have to give equal time to other factions all over the old world. I just love the zoomed in idea and the time period is perfect to show the eventual domination of the whole map by Rome. Great...just bloddy great! Keep it up and heres wishing for a release asap.
    Slainte!!

Yeah, count on me to kick your ass until I get something ! :D

The heavily scripted path you choose is full of promises, and let open large possibilities, such as " additionnal campaigns " for the players, like the action of Archidamos of Sparta or Alexandros of Epeiros, in wich you begin with a huge army but just one town.

This mod is gonna be great! more ships, more mercanaries, more (interestin) faction, greater units, a lot of regions... I see you put a lot of thaught in it

Are these skins 256x256 or 512x512?
    Those who would give up essential liberties for a perceived sense of security deserve neither liberty nor security--Benjamin Franklin

512x512 :)

Team Member
    Invasio Barbarorum modder