Thread: Battle of Bibracte Beta

Default Battle of Bibracte Beta

Here is a link to the post with the download to the Battle of Bibracte. Please be aware that this is a beta and needs to be tweaked. Right now I think that it is too easy for the Romans, but let me know what you think. I would upload some screens, but my internet is being particularly terrible tonight.

Also, anyone who is a Celtic expert on the Helvetii, Boii, and Tulingi, any help would be appreciated.

Do not mind the proxy units as there were no Belgae at the battle; however, do let me know if the reinforcements do not arrive before the end of the battle.

Default Re: Battle of Bibracte Beta

Very glad to see progress on another battle being made abou!

Will try this out for sure.

Will all your battles be V. barbarians? I would like to see some Rome V. Pontus

Quote Originally Posted by K COSSACK
    Will all your battles be V. barbarians? I would like to see some Rome V. Pontus
    There's already Raphia, Antiochus vs. Ptolemy, so I'd expect a wide range of battles.

Reading about the battle below Delphi lately, that would be awesome. A combined greek army against a celtic one. Just seven years before our game starts - a joint army of KH forces (Aitolians, Athenians, Boiotians, Phokians, Lokrians, Megarians, and men from Patras) along with a contingent of Makedonian mercenaries and a contingent of Seleukid mercenaries as well. Epilektoi hoplites and cavalry were sent by the Athenians. Regular hoplites for many of the other greeks. Greeks were about 25,000 in number. I don't know as much about the celtic forces, but I bet Anthony could make a creditable arrangement. Just thinking out loud here. A better greek vs. celtic battle couldn't be found I think.

Well, I've uploaded a Beta2 of the battle. A number of tweaks have been made and so I will make a short changelog. Download link should be the same, but to indicate the difference a placeholder description has been added.

Edit: TA, I will look into Delphi. It actually sounds as though it would be a really cool battle from the perspective of the Celts as they fight against a multi-state alliance of Greeks.
    Last edited by abou; 03-20-2007 at 05:07.

I played the Bibracte battle, and only took one wing (I let the cpu AI control half the men). I wound up in a draw - not sure what triggered that. Their general had died, but my general was routing (AI charged him out too far following their routers, then he got surrounded). One big thing I noticed - that battlefield was huge! Also, the celtic wagon trains were arranged in such a neat way that it was almost like an oppida (some of the mounds of earth and their arrangement) to my uneducated in the topic eyes. Were there not rivers at Bibracte though? I think the Romans started in the low position - but this might be as they moved away from that. I saw a map for it somewhere.

Would really love to see more of these battles.

Quote Originally Posted by Teleklos Archelaou
    I played the Bibracte battle, and only took one wing (I let the cpu AI control half the men).
    So I take it that you're really digging that "one wing" thing from Raphia.
    One big thing I noticed - that battlefield was huge!
    Yeah, I don't know what it is, but it seems that every time I choose a location it is always as large as it can be. Oh well, just all the more fun.

Were there not rivers at Bibracte though? I think the Romans started in the low position - but this might be as they moved away from that. I saw a map for it somewhere.
    You might be thinking of Sambre. I actually read the Latin text and never came across mention of rivers. Also, Goldsworthy's Caesar gives a great account of the battle with a map and he doesn't mention a river... at least I don't remember... I should go look that up -->

Would really love to see more of these battles.
    I'll keep working. As long as I can get detailed accounts I should be in pretty solid shape. Now I just need to balance EB and school!

A question, can we start a historical battle with a ford (without bridges - where there is one of those little secondary crossings a little further down) with some of the army already across?

Sort of. Unless there is a button I am missing I have to resort to cheating.

By cheating, I mean raising the land under the river to above the water level. I can then create a deployment zone on top of the raised area and place units at will. I should be able to create T-shaped or I-shaped deployment zones and deploy units throughout.

Ok, I'll lay out a pretty detailed setup for teh battle on the Arius river then between Baktria and the Seleukids. There is a reinforcement army for the seleukids, and the baktrians probably should have a captain commanding one of their wings where the seleukids have gotten across the river first.

There were 10,000 cavalry for the baktrians, with probably only a very few light infantry units joining them. The seleukids had a mixed army but no heavy infantry themselves either - 2000 hetairoi also are included though. Is 5 to 1 too high a ratio? I've got about 3,540 Baktrians in my version (2020 cavalry, which is right at 5 to 1), and I should probably drop about half or a third of those light infantry that I'm including with them at this point.

Oh! That's the one where Antiochos III got a bunch of his teeth knocked out in the melee, right?

As far as size goes what you have looks fine. It wasn't a particularly big battle if I remember correctly.

Is abou going to get an historical battles sig?

Reading about the battle below Delphi lately, that would be awesome. A combined greek army against a celtic one. Just seven years before our game starts - a joint army of KH forces (Aitolians, Athenians, Boiotians, Phokians, Lokrians, Megarians, and men from Patras) along with a contingent of Makedonian mercenaries and a contingent of Seleukid mercenaries as well. Epilektoi hoplites and cavalry were sent by the Athenians. Regular hoplites for many of the other greeks. Greeks were about 25,000 in number. I don't know as much about the celtic forces, but I bet Anthony could make a creditable arrangement. Just thinking out loud here. A better greek vs. celtic battle couldn't be found I think.
    TA I am pretty sure one of us recreated that battle in a screenshot thread

Ok, I'll lay out a pretty detailed setup for teh battle on the Arius river then between Baktria and the Seleukids. There is a reinforcement army for the seleukids, and the baktrians probably should have a captain commanding one of their wings where the seleukids have gotten across the river first.

There were 10,000 cavalry for the baktrians, with probably only a very few light infantry units joining them. The seleukids had a mixed army but no heavy infantry themselves either - 2000 hetairoi also are included though. Is 5 to 1 too high a ratio? I've got about 3,540 Baktrians in my version (2020 cavalry, which is right at 5 to 1), and I should probably drop about half or a third of those light infantry that I'm including with them at this point.

What about the battle that Antiochus Soter had against the Galatians were 18 elephants saved the day.