Thread: could we get some bettr movies please!

not that they were bad but the orginals movies looked pretty cheesy, repeitive textures and other things like that. In the game over movie are those ninja buring the daiymo because they are wearing ninja colors, cloths and are standing like ninja. What i'd like to see is big battle movies and better beginning intro. It seemed more like a history show rather than an incredible intro.

Senior Member Senior Member Shiro's Avatar

Well IMHO the movies were excellent. Rare is the game that includes as many movies as Shogun. Can you imagine playing the campaign without them? The movies break things up and make it more interesting.
    "Everything Shiro said sounds good to me."
    -Solypsist
    "Catiline is the one with the black rag and Shiro is erm...the other one..."
    -Tosa

It would be cool if they played a movie when you becoming Shogun. I forget what they currently show you but it is not impressive. I actually like most of the movies in the game. I wish there were more.
    All your base are belong to us

yeah they did include alot of movies but what i'm saying is there could have been more movies on battles instead of assianation because after playing for hours it gets repeitive and annoying. what they need is an intro for every one to remember and want to watch over and over again.when you finish the game the cutscene that shows the statue really doesn't make me feel like i've become shogun, and their wrong for taking cheesy textures from the dayimo pictures and turning them into statues because they look plain ridiculous! and the other cutscene has nothing to do the with the game! What they need is more cutscenes of higher quailty and suspense and more battles!!

Summa Rudis Senior Member Catiline's Avatar

But the assassinations are what the movies are there to show. THey've knida got something already sorted for battles in the tactical engine itself, i'd rather have my disk space taken up with improvements to that where they can be made than with more cutscenes. What they've done is great, but any new movies would seem just as repetitive after a bit, and they take a huge amount of effort to make.

------------------
    It's not a bug, it's a feature
    Quo usque tandem abutere, Catilina, patientia nostra

I will have to side with Cataline(sp?) on this one. Why have a battle movie if YOU control the outcome of the battle. I think the assassinations are really cool, i just hope there will be some new ones with the old ones in the expansion.... just a question, are the movies made with motion capture.?

------------------
    Chaos is born from order.
    Cowardice is born from bravery.
    Weakness is born from strength.
    -Sun Tzu
    -Sun Tzu

Senior Member Senior Member The Daimyo's Avatar

Hmm, good question. I dunno. The movies that are done using the animated characters are done using 3D Studio Max. The ingame portions that show all the little guys fighting can easily be made using a couple common and free programs and your own efforts. The movie segments, well you how those are made I hope.
    I dunno which program they used to slap it all together with, but I am sure there are at least a dozen applications out there that one can use to do it themselves.
    A challenge to all of you arthouse types, including Soly, but I wouldn't call him one of those...

------------------
    The Daimyo
    Miaowara "Kakizaki" Tomokato
    @ http://www.planettotalwar.com

Senior Member Senior Member Dark Phoenix's Avatar

They should of made a movie for when you take the province the emperor is in (I dont play campaign much)and have him declare you as Shogun or whatever he does.

------------------
    DoragonPhoenix of the Clan Doragon
    DP is correct - Shiro

What you on about the movies on the game or on the net?

Senior Member Senior Member Dark Phoenix's Avatar

We are talking about the ingame movies.

------------------
    DoragonPhoenix of the Clan Doragon
    DP is correct - Shiro

It seems like the emperor always ALWAYS backs the Oda clan. Does his opinion change anything, because it sure doesn't seen so.

------------------
    -Sun Tzu
    -Sun Tzu

i don't mean movies after a battle i mean a better endgame movie and a better intro and each clan needs their own endgame scene rather than have the same statue scene over and over again. I have no promblems with the assassin films, they just need a wider varity

karoshi Senior Member solypsist's Avatar

The Emperor backs whoever currently has control oh province, and since Oda is closest and has easiest access to it, it just seems he always backs the Oda clan.

The movies are fine with me. For the last few months of campaign-play, I've had them turned off, just to speed things up. There is a movie when you become Shogun: it's called the End of the Game and runs about three minutes. Th beginning intro is also great, I think. These movies rival those of Pharaoh, which to me were excellent.

I agree. The intro movie is great. It really gives you a sense of what is going on during that period and why you are really fighting for.

------------------
    -Sun Tzu
    -Sun Tzu

I like the endgame movie, too, although more for the music and the narrative than the actual 3D bits. It recycles a bit of stuff from the other movies, but that's fine, since those things take an awful long time to make. We know STW's graphics artists have their hands full otherwise, and a full 3 minute movie for each clan separately would take a ludicrous amount of space and time.

But have no fear, Seppu-san: the expansion pack / Warlord Edition is going to have a new intro movie, with extracts from Kurosawa's classic Ran, as well as other new material.

------------------
    "Daddy, where what were you doing during the Mongol Invasion?"
    "Well, I was shoveling $#!+ in the Shameful Spam thread..."
    "It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this".
    - Yamamoto Tsunetomo: Hagakure

Senior Member Senior Member FwSeal's Avatar

I was wondering whatever happened to the promised 'Ran' cut-scenes. It's too bad they didn't make it onto the original game but at least they will be there on the expansion (in theory, at least).

DAMN! i want see ran but i can't find it anywhere!

Seppu, I'd recommend "Seven Samurai" (also by Akira Kurosawa) over "Ran". You can really see the tactics in the small scale battle in "Seven Samurai". There are some big battles in "Ran", but not as much as I had hoped, and there weren't much detail on tactics.

Sorry I'm getting off topic now. :-P

ok.. what is Ran?? a movie, i am guessing

------------------
    -Sun Tzu
    -Sun Tzu

Yes, "Ran" is a movie by Akira Kurosawa (spelling?). The STW developers draw a lot of inspiration from this movie. I have heard that "Ran" is like "King Lear" of Japan, but I have not seen / read "King Lear" so I am not sure. "Ran" has some grand war scenes.