Thread: How the hell can you get El Cid?

Default How the hell can you get El Cid?

there's no way to actually bribe him. I heard that in original medieval, the strategy of spain is basically get him over to be on your side. However, it's almost impossible to get him in medieval 2.

Default Re: How the hell can you get El Cid?

Quote Originally Posted by Taiwan Legion
    there's no way to actually bribe him. I heard that in original medieval, the strategy of spain is basically get him over to be on your side. However, it's almost impossible to get him in medieval 2.
    Well in the origianl MTW that was a viable option, but there were far more generals in MTW every unit commander had the ability to command an army and since you created them you could keep going until you got a good one with command stars.

I find in MTW2 I lack alot of good generals, it takes many turns to get them a nice compliment of them.

Anyway EL cid? I put in the money cheat as Spain got 100k florins tried to bribe him with a 3star diplomat, he wouldnt bite. I asked in the spain strat guide if anyone had actually done it, no answer.

Id love to know to.
    There are few things more annoying than some idiot who has never done anything trying to say definitively how something should be done.

Sua Sponte

lol if your in iberia you should have no problem getting a few 10 star generals....why u want cid besides for novelty?

i was the moors one time and i got the starting faction heir to 9 stars before he was 30, cid was a stepping stone
    And when the brazen cry of achilles
    Was heard among the trojans, all their hearts
    Were troubled, and the full-maned horses whirled
    The chariots backward, knowing griefs at hand...

Quote Originally Posted by sabutai
    lol if your in iberia you should have no problem getting a few 10 star generals....why u want cid besides for novelty?

i was the moors one time and i got the starting faction heir to 9 stars before he was 30, cid was a stepping stone
    Hey thanks man that was really helpful.

Do you know the answer to the question?
    There are few things more annoying than some idiot who has never done anything trying to say definitively how something should be done.

Sua Sponte

its bad enough trying to buy rebels, try a million dollars

doubt u can buy him

Quote Originally Posted by sabutai
    its bad enough trying to buy rebels, try a million dollars

doubt u can buy him
    I agree with you dude, I along with the original poster are just curious as to what it does take?

I mean why have the feature in the game if it dosent work?

I dont like to moan to much about games not my think, i get how things go in producing games, but this bribing thing is particularly annoying.

Sua Sponte

i prefer you cant buy him, makes the already agonizing spanish area more conflicted in the beginning

Master Procrastinator Member TevashSzat's Avatar

This impossible to bribe thing came from early versions of RTW where whole stacks with multiple generals could be bribed for under 20k making it literally possible to conquer the whole world with nothing but an army of peasants, couple of high level diplomats, and a huge treasury.
    "I do not know what I may appear to the world; but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me." - Issac Newton

Quote Originally Posted by Odin
    I agree with you dude, I along with the original poster are just curious as to what it does take?

I mean why have the feature in the game if it dosent work?

I dont like to moan to much about games not my think, i get how things go in producing games, but this bribing thing is particularly annoying.
    I think the objective here is different than in MTW. In this game, the Cid is set up as an obstacle to early expansion by Spain, which is already one of the easiest factions to win the game with. You'll bleed a bit, in the early game, taking him down.

There was an old post from someone who modded a cheat that got him (you might want to search for that), but I don't think there's a way to do it without cheating.
    Feaw is a weapon.... wise genewuhs use weuuhw! -- Jebe the Tyrant

Master Procrastinator Member TevashSzat's Avatar

To get him, someone I believe gave himself an uber diplomat with console containing all of the good traits and then took all loyalty away from El Cid as well as gave him all of the traits that decreased cost to bribe or increased chance of being bribed
    "I do not know what I may appear to the world; but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me." - Issac Newton

Quote Originally Posted by Zenicetus
    I think the objective here is different than in MTW. In this game, the Cid is set up as an obstacle to early expansion by Spain, which is already one of the easiest factions to win the game with. You'll bleed a bit, in the early game, taking him down.

There was an old post from someone who modded a cheat that got him (you might want to search for that), but I don't think there's a way to do it without cheating.
    I concede that the objective is different from MTW. Okay he is an obstacle, yet I have the option to bribe him, there are more then one way around obstacles and bribing is certainly one of them.

Yet in MTW2 its nearly impossible, El Cid is the more prominent example but I have walked into rebel towns with good diplomats and 20k+ florins, and they wont take the bribe. (not to mention i had a considerable army i could bring to bare against them at any time)

Sua Sponte

I tried repeatedly to buy El Cid and all I got for my efforts was an enfeebled emissary and a more famously incorruptible adversary. So there he sits with his large army and all of those enticing command stars, awaiting the day when, having vanquished the Moors, I pound him to dust in turn.
    Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like bananas.

Is the Cid married at the start of the game? If not maybe you could snare him with a charming princess? Can't think of any other way bar cheating.

Relentless Bughunter Senior Member FactionHeir's Avatar

Afaik you cannot marry rebels

If you really want him, you can try putting a tiny stack of peasants or so in the Valencia region and hope for him to storm out and attack you (do not place right next to castle).
    Then he is an easier bribing target
    Last edited by FactionHeir; 03-21-2007 at 16:22.
    Want gunpowder, mongols, and timurids to appear when YOU do?
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Click here to read the solution
    Annoyed at laggy battles? Check this thread out for your performance needs
    Got low fps during siege battles in particular? This tutorial is for you
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

I am a huge El Cid fan and so I would make sure he joins my faction every time I play as Spain or the Moors. Sometimes I even send a diplomat across the world to bring him into my service outside of Iberia and away from the ungrateful rulers there. Just as you can do the add_money you can also do force_diplomacy when trying to bribe him and acquire his army or city. You can do anything really, even force a win on any auto resolve if you truly wish. Unfortunately, I may be 15 years too late with this reply for some but perhaps it will help others now that medieval 2 gained a little popularity again when the mobile version came out. There are many other ways that involve going into the games files if you wish to as well but I am by no means an expert as my experience only goes as far as a few things with SF Editors for the new total wars. Lastly, the best way to get El Cid to lead your armies to glory is to harass CA until they come out with a medieval 3 total war lol
    Last edited by TireBandit; 09-16-2022 at 02:19.

Also, for some you may not be able to use the force diplomacy if you downloaded the game online. Now that I think about it I had the CDs as this was before I had a steam account years ago. To work around this simply give yourself the money you need and also knock down his chivalry, loyalty, and command so that he won’t be so reluctant. You can of course give him the traits back after as well as get rid of your excess cash if you so chose using the same commands. I can vouch that this works as well as this is how I do it with the steam version