Thread: Units! ... Warcry!! ... YAAAARGH!!

the oats that are mighty Member mightilyoats's Avatar

Default Units! ... Warcry!! ... YAAAARGH!!

Ah... My new favorite faction, the Gauls.

In the past I have always had problems playing as barbarian factions. However, in my latest campaign as Gaul, I realized that I was using the wrong approach in the battles.

Instead of playing defensively (like I usually do), I decided to rush the Roman infantry with my warbands, using a short battle line, but three units deep. i.e. I have three warbands in front, followed by two swordsmen units and again followed by three warbands. Cav only flanks from one side.

The real trick is: Use the warcry! I always ignored it, now I never will again.

Does anyone else have a similar experience, where you were struggling until you found a neat special ability in a unit that wins the day?
    S-U-C-E-S! That's the way you spell... suces?

Default Re: Units! ... Warcry!! ... YAAAARGH!!

Barbarians in general and special abilities like warcry have never appealed to me - but perhaps I should give them another shot.
    When and how do you use the warcry effectively? Do you have to press the button the second before the units make contact, or the second after? Or does the effect last for a while?
    ---
    Now comes the hour when we taste ROMAN CURRY!!!

You should press the button before charging the enemy. After pressing it the unit doing the Warcry will spend about 5 seconds taunting...during this time it can't move and will suffer heavy losses if attacked, after that order it to attack. The effects of the Warcry lasts for about a minute, I think.

Chief Biscuit Monitor Member professorspatula's Avatar

The thing with warcry is you don't need to taunt for long, and you can actually pull a unit back from combat just a few feet and do the warcry again. If you get attacked during the taunt, just attack the enemy. You still get some if not all the warcry ability.

I usually use just 2 rows of infantry units. Warband centre, couple of sword/axe infantry on either side of them, then a couple of my best infantry units behind them on the flanks. Occasionally behind the warband I have a chosen swordsman unit or other tough unit to hold the centre just in case the warband break. To get the best out of the warcry armies, you need to get all the units attacking quickly so that their brief warcry ability isn't wasted. Having multiple rows means fewer units will be able to get involved with their warcry at once. I usually have my front row taunting as soon as the enemy get within a few seconds of their charge. Then I charge them into the enemy, sending my best infantry around the flanks to taunt then charge into the pinned enemy (sometimes it's best to taunt before flanking if you don't think your front row will hold out). Within half a minute of the initial clash, virtually all the infantry with warcry ability are fighting it out. Throw in the cavalry to finish off the enemy and it's jobs' a good'un.

Playing as a barbarian faction and not using warcry is like playing the Romans and not switching on the 'fire at will' command for Hastati, legionaries and the like.
    Improving the TW Series one step at a time:

BI Extra Hordes & Unlocked Factions Mod: Available here.

I agree with the Professor's analogy about the fire at will for Hastati. Many times I have seen enemy infantry rout before any melee action, just because of the pila thrown by the Hastati.

The warcry just needs to be initiated, after that the unit can be ordered to attack, though they will not move until they've finished it. To be honest, without the war cry the Gallic units are no where near as effective. They are also mainly attackers, and good ones, though they can hold a defensive line a lot better when set to defensive mode and with war cry on. I have just started a campaign as the Britons, with their Woad Warriors, Warbands and Swordsmen. My last campaign was as Gaul. I by far prefer the "barbarian" factions to all other factions, while not in the least historically accurate, they are much more challenging than say, the Greek Cities or the Julii.
    Last edited by caravel; 03-28-2007 at 17:07.

Anyone have any ideas on how to use the Druid chant and the screeching women? Can these abilities turn the tide of a battle?

Post Re: Units! ... Warcry!! ... YAAAARGH!!

Hi mightlyoats,
    The "Chant" feature is very handy in causing enemy units to flee and run from your forces! It increases the morale of nearby allied units and redices the morale of the enemy fools who dare stand nearby! Hope this helps you, cheers!
    Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go back to bed

I have often taken a unit of those druids to battle simply to chant - not fight. They do make a difference. They are probably the stupidest looking and sounding unit there is though.

Pincushioned Ashigaru Member Poulp''s Avatar

Have your battle line shout out loud their warcry while druids chant behind them; and when the melee is joined and your opponents begin to crumble, unleash your war hounds. Rout (almost) guaranted.
    With cavalry flanking the rout is even quicker.

I am almost sure that druids don't keep chanting when they are in melee, and I don't know if they chant while they are moving (not that important for me, I stick them somewhere and NEVER move them). It seems too that their chant grows with time, sometimes, when the melee is long, I can hear them chanting over the noise of the battle.

Wish I could test it...
    but first I have to re install RTW

Well as the Britons I use warcry, and have a unit of chanting Druids behind the scenes and attack, then... I drive a chariot or two straight through the lot (frightened by chariots penalty).

Works every time. It seems very very cheesy though.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    It gets worse though. Throwing heads into their midst...
    Last edited by caravel; 03-29-2007 at 15:29.

Warhounds... yes. I almost forgot about those lovelies. The babarians really do have access to alot of frightening units. I think the most frightening of all is the Brits. There are so many of their units that give morale penalties to the enemy.

I've grown weary of my Gaul campaign though, I think will alternate this campaign with a campaign as the Brittons.

Some of those babaric factions are just great in terms of warcry, scaring etc. Take the Allemani in BI... I mean they start out in the woods (initimidating when your forces suddenly appear+combat bonus) and have the dogs and above that night raiders right at the start (intimidate enemies). It's fun to use this as a tactical advantage for your strategies. Just imagine a hostile army wandering lonely around in the woods.... poor fellas.

It's been a while since I played Gaul, but my recollection is that druids who chant, then move, are markedly ineffectual. Much better to place them where you want them, then chant. And once they get into melee they stop chanting altogether. The longer the chant goes on, the better it is, so if you've got some time, let it build.