Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Other Historical Battles (Ideas, Etc.)

Default Other Historical Battles (Ideas, Etc.)

Didn't want to start a new one for just thinking about a battle, but I've been reading about Sellasia and thought it might be a good one. Here is a sketch of it:

http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~warfare/L...6_sellasia.jpg

222 BC, in Peloponnesos
    Makedonia: Antigonos Doson (king)
    28,000 soldiers - two wings, cavalry in middle, good reinforcements behind

Koinon Hellenon: Kleomenes (Spartan king)
    20,000 soldiers - two wings, cavalry in middle, no reinforcements but holds better ground.

There is a river in the middle (not the way you think, but vertically down the map), but it might be able to be represented by a ditch - and before the KH lines there should also be a ditch too. The ones I saw on the Bibracte battle (back behind the gauls on the hillside) would be good - ridges of earth. They could probably work for a mostly dry river bed also. Having cavalry in the middle and a divided line on both sides is very interesting too. It would be hard to win as KH, but not so bad if you are Maks.

Default Re: Other Historical Battles (Ideas, Etc.)

Where you get that maps and stuff?

Can you find me one for Telamon? I wanted to do that, but give it out when didnt understand what Polybius was saying.

I just google searched it. Plus I found an article on it on jstor.org through my university. There's a wikipedia entry for telamon. But no map.

ok thanks =)

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

As I have a few days free, maybe I'll try it TA.
    How would you like the units?

I'll try to get that down a little later, but doing some other stuff right now. I've got it mapped out on paper, but am trying to figure out what sort of units would best represent the numbers and descriptions I've seen. The biggest problem would be that the 6000 spartans in 222 were probably phalangites by that time. Can't remember when the switch happened. We'll have KH phalangites on our next release, but we might could just use regular spartans for now.

The other thing I'm thinking about is since the line was split so clearly, I was feeling like the cavalry in the middle and the spartan phalanx and light troops in front of them, that they'd be the only units controlled by the KH player, and the wing on the other hill would be captain led (AI). Maybe same for maks too. The battle is clearly split in two like that.

i'd say the right flanks of each might be the most fun. the Spartans on their hill is a great setup, and the blocks of medium and heavy infantry on the right would be a lot of fun.
    "The mere statement of fact, though it may excite our interest, is of no benefit to us, but when the knowledge of the cause is added, then the study of history becomes fruitful." -Polybios

I like the historical battles, and would love to see some more done, unforuneally I don't know enough about a single battle to make it.

Making an accurate location of this map with the hills, the river, the roads, and the fortifications can really be frustrating. I will admire who can do this very accurate. This is one of the hard landscapes like many ones in the Greek region.

Now sporting a classic avatar! Member fallen851's Avatar

Pharsalus is what we really need.
    "It's true that when it's looked at isolated, Rome II is a good game... but every time I sit down to play it, every battle, through every turn, I see how Rome I was better. Not unanimously, but ultimately." - Dr. Sane

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6eaBtzqqFA#t=1h15m33s

There were numerous battles between the Roman and the Parthians

Pharsalus is impossible in EB, I think so...

Carrhae is my next project

Quote Originally Posted by Eduorius
    Pharsalus is impossible in EB, I think so...

Carrhae is my next project
    Not only Carrhae, but there were battles that Trajan fought, Mark Antony, other battles that are less known.

Quote Originally Posted by K COSSACK
    Not only Carrhae, but there were battles that Trajan fought, Mark Antony, other battles that are less known.
    Trajan is not the timeframe as well as Corbulo, but I have a lot of simpathy with Mark Antony so if you find info about that battle I will be glad to do it. I think that maybe in the life of Plutarch.

Quote Originally Posted by Eduorius
    Trajan is not the timeframe as well as Corbulo, but I have a lot of simpathy with Mark Antony so if you find info about that battle I will be glad to do it. I think that maybe in the life of Plutarch.
    Ah! right I forgot there is no lorica degmenta

But mark antony's can be done, if i can read it in a magazine, its on the internet.

Actium, perhaps?

Come to daddy Member Geoffrey S's Avatar

That would be difficult.
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

Quote Originally Posted by Constantine the Great
    Actium, perhaps?
    Actium is a naval battle

What about a defense of Sparta against Pyrrhos? How hard is it to get a town in there? Without a pallisade around it, but with some ditches around it? Granted, we don't have units of women, but a few spartans and then other low level units. It would be almost impossible to defend, with Pyrrhos' army being a lot superior, but defending is always easier against RTW AI anyway.

Actually, not too hard. You can add settlements through the object menu just as I had added the wagon laagers in Bibracte.

Come to daddy Member Geoffrey S's Avatar

I'd love to see a battle of Carthaginians against Iberians, or the battles of Adys and Tunis.
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

Quote Originally Posted by Teleklos Archelaou
    What about a defense of Sparta against Pyrrhos? How hard is it to get a town in there? Without a pallisade around it, but with some ditches around it? Granted, we don't have units of women, but a few spartans and then other low level units. It would be almost impossible to defend, with Pyrrhos' army being a lot superior, but defending is always easier against RTW AI anyway.
    I was thinking of that battle also because I think it would be the first battle in EB timeframe, but when I read the description about the Spartan defense, in Plutarch life on Pyrrhus, with wagons, trenches, etc I tought it would be hard to represent.

You know that Xanthippus may have been present during the battle? Seeing the elephants used by Pyrrhus, he learned the techniques that he would later used against Rome.

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by abou
    Actually, not too hard. You can add settlements through the object menu just as I had added the wagon laagers in Bibracte.
    indeed shouldn't be hard.

that would be a devilishly hard battle to win, but i suppose that would just make it more challenging?

Sellasia seems a good idea, and while Phrasalus would be difficult, might there be a better (ie, more tactically troublesome, but smaller) battle elsewhere in the civil wars? You could also go back to the Social Wars for some good, smaller battles, especially in Spain.

What about the Battle of the Elephants in 275, or the siege of Babylon in ~247? Both of those could be big and fun, but lack detailed info, or a really significant tactical dimension. Sorry to be thinking out loud...what about Panion in 200? Four distinct wings between the two armies, elephants, kataphraktoi, etc.
    "The mere statement of fact, though it may excite our interest, is of no benefit to us, but when the knowledge of the cause is added, then the study of history becomes fruitful." -Polybios

Carrhae is ready. Not my best battle. I used some placeholders for the cavalry and the terrain is not the best.

Well is a beta but I dont want to continue working with this battle for some time. At least until I can make it a lot better with new units.

I just wanted to make a tribute to Crassus and his courageous son Publius.

Quote Originally Posted by paullus
    what about Panion in 200? Four distinct wings between the two armies, elephants, kataphraktoi, etc.
    I was about to respond that if it includes Antiochus III, then I'll do it. I wanted to jump on this, but unfortunately Polybius's account is just him deriding Zeno's telling. If you know where I could find a direct account that would be great, but in skimming Bar-Kochva the only numbers I have are in that 10,000 of the Ptolemaic army escaped.

What about the Battle of Watling Street(Battle of Paulerspury)?

I know it's outside of EB's timeframe, but it would be good to give the Casse a historical battle(even though it was really the Iceni).

Ekklesia Mafia: - An exciting new mafia game set in ancient Athens - Sign up NOW!
    "Oh, how I wish we could have just one Diet session where the Austrians didn't spend the entire time complaining about something." Fredericus von Hamburg

Celtic Cataphracts!!!! Member The Celt's Avatar

What about the Siege of Rhodes by the Seleucids?
    Achtungaz!!! You vill all zavmit to zeh Svveboz!!!!

Currently rising to power as:

Now sporting a classic avatar! Member fallen851's Avatar

Boudiccas revolt.
    "It's true that when it's looked at isolated, Rome II is a good game... but every time I sit down to play it, every battle, through every turn, I see how Rome I was better. Not unanimously, but ultimately." - Dr. Sane

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6eaBtzqqFA#t=1h15m33s

I'm suprised Cannae hasn't been suggested

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast