Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Samurai Warlords beta 8

Default Re: Samurai Warlords beta 8

I played an Ashikaga campaign last night on normal difficulty. By 1611 Ashikaga had only 7 provinces with about 5500 income per year, Mori had all of the provinces to the south and Satomi had all of the provinces to the north. However, a short time later Mori and Satomi went to war. I remained allied to Mori since they would loose that war, and I moved against Satomi just as Mori was disintegrating from attrition with rebellions and re-emergence of Amako. By 1636 I had won 3 battles vs Satomi taking Owai, Mikawa and Mino, and they had stripped their provinces of troops causing numerous rebellions. I'm now in a position to possibly win the game.

_________Designed to match Original STW gameplay.

Beta 8 + Beta 8.1 patch + New Maps + Sound add-on + Castles 2

Quote Originally Posted by barocca
    Bonfire, if you email me
    barocca_x@
    hotmail.com

about middle earth files

cheers
    B.
    yeah no prob i will send the link where you can get the files for middle earth total war.
    "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness"

mournin everybody .

i was wondering after i have finished making the middle earth total war mod..

if i might join the samuari warlord develop team .

my strength lies in editing and altering txt files.

im not a graphics junky.
    "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness"

Clan Takiyama Senior Member R'as al Ghul's Avatar

Thanks for the offer.
    I don't think we need any help editing the txt files or modding the game.
    The current team works very well together.

R'as

Singleplayer: Download beta_8
    Multiplayer: Download beta_5.All.in.1
    I'll build a mountain of corpses - Ogami Itto, Lone Wolf & Cub
    Sometimes standing up for your friends means killing a whole lot of people - Sin City, by Frank Miller

warning- plot loss in progress Senior Member barocca's Avatar
    (*disclaimer* - reality may or may not exist, in some societies reality is a crime, punishable by life)

new samurai princess campaign map piece.
    OLD princess piece becomes Honganji princess piece.
    enjoy
    B.
    The winds that blows -
    ask them, which leaf on the tree
    will be next to go.

nice work barocca. good job.

hey ras when can the the guild forum community see samurai warlord beta 9 with a new era (possibily) the mongols. and all this new feautres your team is finding and deveolping.

The new princess piece looks great and it is way more fit for the role than the older one - the three statics of the animation with the ombrella closed and with using and without using the fan are excellent.

Congratulations! - having posted on the matter sometime ago, i am particularly happy to see the new piece.

Many Thanks

Noir

Quote Originally Posted by Bonfire
    hey ras when can the the guild forum community see samurai warlord beta 9 with a new era (possibily) the mongols. and all this new feautres your team is finding and deveolping.
    We're working on it but I can't tell you a date yet.
    beta_8 was only just released 5-6 weeks ago.
    Have a little patience.

Sometimes standing up for your friends means killing a whole lot of people - Sin City, by Frank Miller

Beauty hunter Senior Member Raz's Avatar

Probably not for quite a while, say two, most likely more, months.

Also, I was playing around with the dead pages in \Textures\Men\. I added the deaths from deadpage 2 to the one the game uses and got some strange results. <_<

Screenies soon. I seem to be missing a lot of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by drone
    I imagine an open-source project to recreate [Medieval: Total War] would be faced with an army of high-valour lawyers.

Live your life out on Earth; I'm going to join the Sun.

Actually, I'll be posting them a tad later. I seem to be having troubles with my imageshack account. -_-
    I imagine an open-source project to recreate [Medieval: Total War] would be faced with an army of high-valour lawyers.

You don't have to use your account to upload images.
    .Org even provides a tool to upload from here.
    It's available under "additional options"when you click "Reply".

I know but I like keeping them on Imageshack since I often delete the originals or lose them somehow over time through the masses of folders I make to try and 'sort' them.

Take your time, I'm just curious about the strange results.
    We've had a discussion about the deadpage a couple of months ago and I want to pick that issue up again.
    Have you edited the deadpagecoords.txt file, too?

Slightly, not much though. What I did was replace the the bodies in the deadpage, that the MTW engine uses, with the STW bodies, resizing slightly, due to me not knowing quite how the deapage coords.txt works.

For my ease I grabbed the cavalry bodies from STW, and just slapped them onto the MTW one, overwriting the KHorse bodies (The units that use the KHorse casualty picture) using Ultimate Paint to open it and GIMP to edit it. I noticed that there were two exact same deadpages, a .tga file and the .lbm file. I overwrote both of them after editing.

I ended up with things that looked similar to these (these are of less quality for easier access):

(Note: Directly after editing them, I tested it in a custom battle, they didn't have this green background first off, instead they had a black background, just think of the green in it to be black instead.) I noticed this black box around the bodies, so I went straight back to editing them, this next time, I thought why not try the green that CA seems so fond of. The 0 R, 128 G, 0 B, 'Transparent' green. That's when I came across these (above).

I sort of gave up after that as it was late. I did have many more pictures, but I seem to have lost them. I know that this may seem all a tad confusing, just ask away at any points you want me to explain in more detail. Sorry about any grammar mistakes, this is probably rife with them. ^_^

Eventually, I only ended up editing the cavalry.

Thanks for posting.
    I know what you did wrong. I'll explain later when I've more time.

I did try several times repeating the process. I'm pretty sure that I made the background colour completely black (0 R, 0 G, 0 B) at least once.

If it's something other than that I'll probably have to read it tomorrow.

Raz,

it's not only important to have the right RGB values, like 0,128,0, but also to have the right index number. You can use the 0,128,0-green all you want, if it's not indexed correctly, you'll see the green instead of having it transparent.
    Same with the black values. You can check out the post-battle miniflags for Takeda or Amako in beta_8 and you'll realise that they have some errant black pixels that are transparent. I made a mistake there.
    Another issue is that the corpses are "cut off", don't show in their full size. That's due to the coordinates in the deadpage. They need adjustment to show the full corpse.

R'as

Default New Incomes - Campaign feedback

ok, some feedback on the workings of the newly proposed province incomes by Barocca:

I am in the finishings of an Uesugi campaign in Hard difficulty using the new province incomes.

I picked the Uesugi on purpose, in order to check how much the "take Dewa then Mutsu then the world" strategy works. I tried to play as aggressively as possible until i became large (until beating the Satomi), that is as little turtling as necessary. After that i turtled more. I used the 120% loyalty level for rebelliousness that is the default one.

These are the events until 1654:

I initially had an interesting war with Satake and Date for Mutsu (after destroying the Mogami) and later on with Satomi that occupied all the Kanto (1530-1575). The Satomi were a tough opponent and the battles were very good and played very balanced including some multifaction mayhems until they brought forward a general with 8 stars. He invaded Etchigo and sieged me there. When i invaded from Dewa to relieve the garrison, we played a river battle where notable... individuals played a significant role like 3 NAs and 13YS of level 9 from his army (that gave rise to the legend of the 13 spears of Nagano : ).

This seems to be happening from time to time on a per (strong) faction basis (i was playing with .matteosartori. on). I guess is when an able hero is crowned with Offices and has a command virtue or two, but other than that (after that general died that is) there were not such incidents, due to the nerfing of the default command stars. IMO there is some space for nerfing the command starts a bit more, but as they are at the moment they only create folkstories rather than interfering with playbalance, i think.

After that i wedged between a strong Hojo and a strong Satomi, and took advantage of their fear for each other to recapture Dewa (that i had lost in order to save Etchigo), Mutsu and eventually Shimotsuke, Kozuke and Hitachi and finally destroy the Satomi in Shimosa.

At 1585 i was making 5000 per turn and had stored 100,000 koku. It seems the game is won at this stage, as i had already more men than my future competitors and i was the richest for a solid decade.

Eventually i took over the Hojo (1610) and now the Oda (1650). Now (1654) i am preparing for the final showdown with Mori, having large stacks and 250,000 koku stored. The Mori have been getting the richest faction message for about 10 turns.

Elsewhere on the map:
    The Hojo got rid of the Takeda (1560) and the Oda expanded all the way from Yamashiro to Mikawa (1575). The Otomo conquered Kyushu but they got a Shimazu reappearance (1590). Subsequently the Shimazu were put down by an ever-expanding Mori. The Mori conquered the Hiroshima pensinsula and were claiming part of Kyushu too, but were slow as they were plagued by civil wars, however eventually they got parts of Shikoku and almost all Kyushu and now are expanding in Etchizen and Kaga taking their share from a collapsing Oda.

Occupying Ecthigo, Dewa and Mutsu was hard but once accomplished firmly is difficult to prevent the holder-player taking on the Kanto and completing conquest of the richest overall area in the map (Dewa-Mutsu-Etchigo-Kozuke-Shimotsuke-Hitachi-Musashi-Shimosa-Kazusa). IMO Dewa and Mutsu still make a lot of koku to provide an advantage . They are difficult to lose too if one holds Etchigo and allow for very effective turtling. Etchigo is powerful, but its ought to be IMO.

Another reason that area of the map is more "suscepible" to produce this effect is that the overall province number is lower than at the "other end". That is the whole can be conquered with "less moves" and to "greater benefit" at the same time.

I'll try a new campaign after i complete this one with the new incomes and a Kyushu clan, and see what the AI clans make of it.

Another interesting thing is that the battles become somewhat easier once guns are introduced in the game for the player as the AI is slower to produce them and most importantly uses them with skirmish on.

In order to account for this it would be perhaps good to introduce the teppo ashigaru units as the default gun units to all clans and make the tech tree for importing large scale teppo warfare more complicated or more expensive or more hard to get (mainly for the sake of keeping teppo off the player's hands). Currently only iron having provinces can make japanese teppo and coastal provinces Portuguese teppo (if i'am not mistaken and this is working well for the player but unfortunately the AI seems slow to make them - i guess because he completes all his other military buildings first).

In order to cut the disadvantage to the AI factions the ability may be restricted to certain clans only (SP only). To counterbalance that, other types of units/units may be emphasised to certain other clans (SP only).
    These can be put forth with new units for the SP game.

Generally the incomes seem to work ok IMO, particularly in Kyushu, as all provinces make money now and the Shimazu can compete better with the Ryuoji/Otomo. I would suggest though that Dewa and Mutsu are further nerfed.

Relative to Kaga - i also think nobody wants to take anything from Hoganji. The Oda had a lump of Hoganji in Yamashiro whithin their territories that they didn't touch at all for many turns. They simply allied with Hoganji and concentrated to other opponents. Perhaps its the different religion that causes it. However, after i started fighting with the Oda the Hoganji allied with me and Oda destroyed them shortly afterwards.

Many Thanks

Noir

Edit: the reason why battles become easier when guns become available is that a campaign can be won by what i call "aggressive defence strategy". essentially, after you establish yourself you turtle and wait for the other "major" opponents to attack first (or you provoke thme into doing it after you ar ready). You have a couple of cheap stacks behind a stack that sits in a very defensible province as bait (other borders overgarrisoned). The "victim" attacks only to be chopped down in Nagashino style in mountains and bridges with very little casualties. After that the cheap stacks advance to occupy his now undefended provinces that fall with little to no resistance.

Players that play SP exclusively, tend to play like this often (consciously or unconsciously) as it is a guarantee for victory. After a couple of other clans/factions fall in this way the player is rich enough to storm the remaining opponents with tones of troops. Effectively this means that with 3 or 4 smart chosen defences a campaign can be won - this is all the more true in MTW that factions suffer civil wars after major defeats.
    Last edited by Noir; 05-14-2007 at 14:21.

I'm playing Oda at normal difficulty and loyalty:180 using the new province incomes. It's 1575 and I have 5572 koku with 9146 income and 8929 expenses (217 profit). I have 5979 troops, and control 11 provinces: Yamashiro, Kawachii, Kii, Yamato, Ise, Iga, Omi, Owari, Makasa, Mino and Shinano.

To the north, the Satake are my main opponent. They have 10749 income and 5406 troops. They control 11 provinces: Etchu, Echigo, Dewa, Mutsu, Hitachi, Shimotsuke, Shimoza, Kazusa, Musashi, Sagami and Izu. Totomi and Suruga are being contested between us. Kozuke, Kai and Hida are all independently owned.

To the south, there is no single faction that dominates the region due to faction re-emergences. Clearly if I can defeat Satake which is now just a matter of inflicting more casualties than I sustain, the game is strategically won which seems reasonable since I'll control most of the map. Satake will strip its provinces of troops to reinforce the front line provinces which is how the AI plays, and this will eventually lead to revolts, faction re-emergence or civil war.
    Last edited by Puzz3D; 05-15-2007 at 13:14.

Banned ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Samurai Games on MP still on Sundays? Anyone new showing up?

Quote Originally Posted by {BHC}KingWarman888
    Samurai Games on MP still on Sundays? Anyone new showing up?
    We play every Sunday. Noir and Silvan are new, but we lost players to the valor 1 mtw/vi tournament and they haven't come back. As a result, we play 2v2 or sometimes 3v3 battles.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Puzz3D
    We play every Sunday. Noir and Silvan are new, but we lost players to the valor 1 mtw/vi tournament and they haven't come back. As a result, we play 2v2 or sometimes 3v3 battles.
    Cool. to bad some players were lost, but they come back after the tounrment. Why don't you guys do 1 on 1's to? they can be fun as well.

Blog Entries

Hey,

yeah, I also stuck a little thing on my website about Samurai Warlords Beta 8

http://khanwarman8.tripod.com/

Hey,

yeah, I also stuck a little thing on my website about Samurai Warlords Beta 8

http://khanwarman8.tripod.com/
    Thanks Warman. We do play 1v1 as well, but we try to get everyone in the same game if possible since it's a bit more fun.

Blog Entries

Thanks Warman. We do play 1v1 as well, but we try to get everyone in the same game if possible since it's a bit more fun.

I'll add some more stuff about it later (be coming back for a bit on Samurai Sunday starting next week).

Yeah, just saying about the 1v1's, because say if there 2 people that show up late, like, You and some newer person, you 2 could do a 1v1 instead of sitting there waiting, or if there 3 people, you get my point, but yeah.

I am for a good 1v1 on this mod but.......

I downloaded it, and when I set it to install in my Main MTW folder, it always hangs (freezes, stops, whatevr you like to call it), on me, and I have to end task. :-(

I downloaded it, and when I set it to install in my Main MTW folder, it always hangs (freezes, stops, whatevr you like to call it), on me, and I have to end task. :-(
    I don't know. If the path to MTW was wrong, you'd get the message "the required folders couldn't be found" when you clicked the install button. The problem might be a compatibility issue with the visual basic library on your machine if it's an old version.
    Last edited by Puzz3D; 06-02-2007 at 14:44.

Blog Entries

I don't know. If the path to MTW was wrong, you'd get the message "the required folders couldn't be found" when you clicked the install button. The problem might be a compatibility issue with the visual basic library on your machine if it's an old version.

it's the right folder, and it worked fine with the last beta, so I dunno. I updated my driver few weeks back when I had Battefield 2 Ploblems, but.

Warman,

Try turning off your anti-virus program. The latest version of AVG is falsely identifying the beta8 as containing a virus, and might be preventing it from running. This suggestion came from CBR.

Blog Entries

Warman,

Try turning off your anti-virus program. The latest version of AVG is falsely identifying the beta8 as containing a virus, and might be preventing it from running. This suggestion came from CBR.

Hey,
    K thanks m8, I'm in my online class now, but I'll try it when I get done, since I do have AVG. I know my Comodo Firewall been giving me ploblems, but it ain't the firewall lol..

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast