Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Samurai Warlords beta 8

Banned ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Samurai Warlords beta 8

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    Hello {BHC}KingWarman888,

Better than it was some years ago, but still a bit of a jungle indeed.

This is what I downloaded I think. Yes, looks like it.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en

What is your problem? If you have a newer DX, you can't just install.

This is a more recent one
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en

Edit: for me the MS server pops up can't find pages at times, but the provided URLs are correct, just try a few times again.
    I think with my VI copy (mind you, I been using it since December 04), I think it is DX 9.0C or something... Or mabye it a older version..

It causes the lag in the SW Beta 8 Games I'm always in, thus is why I get drop, and I get those error messages (posted one pic of one of them eariler I think), dunno why I get them. I got a 256MB Radeon X1300 card ( I think) and can't find the right drivers for it (unless I downloaded them months ago, cause I remember I downloaded something).

With my ATI 9800 Pro, I get very bad lag only in multiplayer games larger than 1v1 if I use a new video driver. I have to use the Catalyst 4.6 driver which is about 3 years old. Unfortuntely, you can't use that video driver with your ATI X1300.

Try lowering your AGP memory to 16 MB in the game options. That may have been suggested before, and you've already done it.

_________Designed to match Original STW gameplay.

Beta 8 + Beta 8.1 patch + New Maps + Sound add-on + Castles 2

Nur-ad-Din Forum Administrator TosaInu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by {BHC}KingWarman888
    I think with my VI copy (mind you, I been using it since December 04), I think it is DX 9.0C or something... Or mabye it a older version..

The DX that was shipped with VI, was DX 9.0a or b. It's one that caused some trouble iirc. Install the DX 9.0C Dec 06 revision (first link). It will surely work. Are you sure you still use that old DX from 04? Most modern games update your DX or they won't play. I recall BF wants a more updated DX than even the first DX 9.0 c.
    Ja mata

TosaInu

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Puzz3D
    With my ATI 9800 Pro, I get very bad lag only in multiplayer games larger than 1v1 if I use a new video driver. I have to use the Catalyst 4.6 driver which is about 3 years old. Unfortuntely, you can't use that video driver with your ATI X1300.

Try lowering your AGP memory to 16 MB in the game options. That may have been suggested before, and you've already done it.
    Screen Reslouitn I did, but not my VI AGP...... Intersting Puzz! I'm on VI now, I do a test 1v1 or 2v2 and see...

Default Re: Samurai Wars Unit vs Unit Chart

Hi Guys,
    Can anyone tell me where the tech tree is for Sam Wars, thanks.

Clan Takiyama Senior Member R'as al Ghul's Avatar

Hello Flaxmac,

I've moved your post here because it was OT in the other thread.
    We don't have a dedicated techtree for Samurai Warlordsbut our techtree is very similar to the Shogun one, which can be downloaded from this site.
    You can access all downloads via the "Files" link at the top of this forum.
    Here's a direct link to the STW section:
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=82292
    Download "officialtechtree.zip" for Shogun.
    That should tell you the basics.

R'as
    Last edited by R'as al Ghul; 08-31-2007 at 09:10.

Singleplayer: Download beta_8
    Multiplayer: Download beta_5.All.in.1
    I'll build a mountain of corpses - Ogami Itto, Lone Wolf & Cub
    Sometimes standing up for your friends means killing a whole lot of people - Sin City, by Frank Miller

warning- plot loss in progress Senior Member barocca's Avatar
    (*disclaimer* - reality may or may not exist, in some societies reality is a crime, punishable by life)

at this time there is still some polish to add to the tech tree ,
    once that is done perhaps we'll make a proper neat tech tree.

I am almost set back up here, once i am i'll finalise the hero names lists

cheers
    B
    The winds that blows -
    ask them, which leaf on the tree
    will be next to go.

Any news on the Mongol front yet?

.....Orda

Blog Entries

may return this SUnday to Beta 8 (or 5?....) if school permits.. BF2 is killing me.

you guys making a mongol army??

STW MI had Mongol units. The plan from years back was that these may be added too.

It depends a bit I think. Time and really wanting to add it, but also whether the storage of units works (beta5 differs from beta8). It may be responsible for sync problems, maybe not.

Balancing the Mongols was hard in MI, for various reasons. It will be nice to give it another go with the VI stats. In STW there were only 2 bow slots. That's not enough really: footarchers, mounted Japanese and Mongol archers. The Mongol archers are very different from the other two.

The Mongol army is also supposed to be totally different from the Japanese. The Japanese army has strong infantry and strong cavalry. The Mongols have stronger cavalry and weak infantry (Korean forced to fight -> unwillingly).
    Unfortunately the honorsellback allows to buy lots of cheap H0 mongol cavalry and mostly forget about buying infantry, the cavalry already performs great and will become even better during the battle due to battlefieldupgrades. So, instead of having a 40/60 cav/inf Mongol army where the more powerful cav and less powerful infantry balances the Japanese army, you end up with a more powerful Mongol mostly cav army. Naturally you couldn't cripple the Mongol cav too much.

VI should make it possible to get it right.
    Ja mata

TosaInu

The gameplay changes if the Mongols are introduced with better cav but weaker inf. The Japanese are limited to playing defensively in every battle because their cav is beaten by the Mongol cav. The Japanese have to rely on their inf, but after the ranged units have finished skirmishing, the Japanese inf cannot catch the Mongol cav, so they have to wait for the Mongols to attack them. The Japanese also cannot use cav to protect their ranged units, so they are at a disadvantage when skirmishing. Since the YS is the only Japanese threat to the Mongol cav, all the Mongols need is a single sword inf unit that can beat it, and the Japanese become completely nullified tactically. Japanese sword units will be easily defeated by the Mongol cav. Japanese archers and guns will be either outranged or equal in range to Mongol archers.
    Last edited by Puzz3D; 09-18-2007 at 13:04.

In the old 103 mod, the exact opposite was achieved, the Mongols were pitifully weak. I did a little tweaking with the stats to the point where it was possible to win with either a Mongol or Japanese army. Given that VI has more options, it should be achievable

.....Orda

Quote Originally Posted by Orda Khan
    In the old 103 mod, the exact opposite was achieved, the Mongols were pitifully weak. I did a little tweaking with the stats to the point where it was possible to win with either a Mongol or Japanese army. Given that VI has more options, it should be achievable

.....Orda
    Hello Orda,

The Mongol was very strong in 1.0 and 1.01. They were supposed to be fine in 1.02. And yes, they were weaker, but the battlefieldupgrades and honor sellback were still a problem. Some still considered them too strong.

103 mod made them even weaker, too weak perhaps. You had to work very hard for a win, quite the opposite from vanilla. The music is still great :)
    Ja mata

TosaInu

In the old 103 mod, the exact opposite was achieved, the Mongols were pitifully weak. I did a little tweaking with the stats to the point where it was possible to win with either a Mongol or Japanese army. Given that VI has more options, it should be achievable.
    It can be done, but the Japanese will have to play defensively in every battle.

Clan Takiyama Senior Member R'as al Ghul's Avatar

Any news on the Mongol front yet?

.....Orda
    No, I'm sorry Orda. barocca and I are both pretty busy.
    It's still planned, though. (not much comfort probably?)

R'as

Singleplayer: Download beta_8
    Multiplayer: Download beta_5.All.in.1
    I'll build a mountain of corpses - Ogami Itto, Lone Wolf & Cub
    Sometimes standing up for your friends means killing a whole lot of people - Sin City, by Frank Miller

Hello Yuuki,

Isn't that typical and supposed to be how it should?
    Ja mata

TosaInu

103 mod made them even weaker, too weak perhaps. You had to work very hard for a win, quite the opposite from vanilla. The music is still great :)
    Against a player of equal skill it was all but impossible to win. I agree about the music, it really created the mood. I had that music on my VI...Probably the best of the battlefield music scores.
    I can't recall the exact changes I made but they were based on Korean Guardsman/Naginata, Korean Spearman/Yari Samurai. The MHC and JHC were same and MLC were slightly better than JCA to account for the Mongol lack of light spear cav and (worst part of MI) lack of archers. The Korean Skirmishers evened out the deficit between the KS and YS but were pretty helpless in melee.
    The final stats worked very well in the tests I ran and it was possible to win with both factions, the Japanese certainly did not need to play defensively. If the HA units could fire on the move then this would be different of course but backing up JCA with YC was a viable tactic and with Nodachi, with no real counter other than cav made for some very good battles

......Orda

If MHC = JHC, then you could make a stat which balanced Mongol/Japanese offensive/defensive chances. You couldn't make MHC = JHC in MI because the MHC were much more expensive than the JHC, and there was no way to change unit costs. In Samurai Wars, Mongols would get some additional cav types and archer types, and the MLC could be as fast or almost as fast as JYC. They had a javelin unit in MI which could be retained. While their best inf would be worse than the Japanese best inf, their low end inf units could be better to compensate. There is a space in the middle of the combat range of the Japanese inf units between no-dachi and naginata which would allow for that.
    Last edited by Puzz3D; 09-18-2007 at 17:43.

If MHC = JHC, then you could make a stat which balanced Mongol/Japanese offensive/defensive chances. You couldn't make MHC = JHC in MI because the MHC were much more expensive than the JHC, and there was no way to change unit costs.
    You can make a clone where both armies have the same stats but different sprites. And you can try to make two different types of armies. The Mongol army was supposed to have stronger cavalry and weaker infantry. The idea was that the Mongols purchased certain amounts of cavalry and certain amounts of infantry so that the combined forces would equal the Japanese army in strenght. The second was that it should still be quite a challenge for the Japanese to beat the Mongols. A steppe like map and the right deployment favours the Mongols indeed (isn't that authentic for a mounted army?).

My tactic of choice is 50% infantry and 50% cavalry. The cavalry consists of 50% heavy (MHC) and 50% light (MLC).

The brittle infantry is deployed deep south and the MHC (one of them is general) is deployed behind them.

The MLC is split in two groups and setup North-West and North-East. The forward position allows me to see the opposing forces and the MLC will harass where possible. Harassment is missile attack, charges, tiring Japanese cavalry, anything. It doesn't matter much what happens. That's the RSI stage of the battle.

When the Japanese decide to stand, the Korean infantry/MHC will slowly close in at some point (usually when the MLC can't really harass anymore) and the spearthrowing skirmishers will erase some sprites. The rest of the infantry will make contact and the MHC will move to either the right and/or left, then behind the opposing army and charge. Surviving MLC will capture routed units.
    Ja mata

TosaInu

Blog Entries

Yea, but provides more of a challage.

Yea, but provides more of a challage.
    No it doesn't. The Japanese will have a stategic gameplay limited to camping with corner camping providing the best result. The Mongol cav has nearly complete freedom of movement since it cannot be challenged by the Japanese cav. The Japanese player might as well take no cavalry.

A gameplay where attacking and defending chances are balanced provides the most challenge because the initiative can shift back and forth several times during a battles as a result of relatively small mistakes.
    Last edited by Puzz3D; 09-19-2007 at 20:57.

Blog Entries

No it doesn't. The Japanese will have a stategic gameplay limited to camping with corner camping providing the best result. The Mongol cav has nearly complete freedom of movement since it cannot be challenged by the Japanese cav. The Japanese player might as well take no cavalry.

A gameplay where attacking and defending chances are balanced provides the most challenge because the initiative can shift back and forth several times during a battles as a result of relatively small mistakes.
    Mongol armies aren't invinable. Just because you would be taking a all horse army doesn't mean you run off and camp in a corner, get kill faster that way.

Just like someone who gets all Port Teppos, compared to his enemey who gets all Jap Teppo. His Jap Teppos have longer range, and can't be challaged but the guy's Ports unless they in close range. So does that mean he just doesn't get the cheaper Port teppos anymore Puzz or does he just corner camp?

Hello,

It is supposed to be difficult for the Japanese to defeat the Mongol army. I think it's authentic for a strong cav army to have the cards (especially when the terrain is right).

I don't think cornercamping is the only stategy for the Japanese, not the best even. What is important is to keep the units close together (the highly mobile MC will quickly eliminate lone units). To counter above tactic, I'ld move up to the Mongol inf/MHC army and engage that before the MLC weared me out.

Spears and lsam would be at least 50% of the army. You need some cav (not to fight duals with MC right on, but to flank, deal the final blow and chase) and HTH infantry too (such as nods. ni will work too, but their low speed defeats the other goal: reach the Mongol army in time. You'ld probably need wm, it's the right period, odd they are removed).
    Last edited by TosaInu; 09-20-2007 at 16:56.
    Ja mata

TosaInu

To counter above tactic, I'd move up to the Mongol inf/MHC army and engage that before the MLC weared me out.
    That didn't work in STW/MI, and it won't work in SW either. The Mongol ranged units will inflict heavy losses on the Japanese infantry as they advance. Once engaged, the Mongol cav will backstab the engaged Japanese units.

Mongol armies aren't invinable.
    Right if the Japanese play defensively.

Just because you would be taking a all horse army doesn't mean you run off and camp in a corner, get kill faster that way.
    I said no cav not all cav. You won't get killed faster in a corner because there are no teppos in the Mongol era.

Just like someone who gets all Port Teppos, compared to his enemey who gets all Jap Teppo. His Jap Teppos have longer range, and can't be challaged but the guy's Ports unless they in close range. So does that mean he just doesn't get the cheaper Port teppos anymore Puzz or does he just corner camp?
    Portuguese teppo are the same range as Japanese teppo. If you give the Mongols longer ranged archers, then camping won't work of the Japanese. All they will have left for a strategy is an infantry rush.

That didn't work in STW/MI, and it won't work in SW either. The Mongol ranged units will inflict heavy losses on the Japanese infantry as they advance. Once engaged, the Mongol cav will backstab the engaged Japanese units.
    But when the Japanese camp, the MLC will have time to release all their arrows and they'll also charge when possible.

I didn't say it's easy, but when you manage to reach the Mongols while keeping your units together, so deny the MLC effective charges, you'll end up with more surviving units (because the MLC haven't released all the arrows yet) and you have a bigger chance to defeat the inf/MHC.

Not that I become speechless, but camping Japanese, that's what I hope for when playing.
    Ja mata

TosaInu

But when the Japanese camp, the MLC will have time to release all their arrows and they'll also charge when possible.
    The Japanese archers can shoot back when not moving, and foot archers beat mounted archers.

I didn't say it's easy, but when you manage to reach the Mongols while keeping your units together, so deny the MLC effective charges, you'll end up with more surviving units (because the MLC haven't released all the arrows yet) and you have a bigger chance to defeat the inf/MHC.
    If you manage to reach the Mongols because the Japanese have no speed advantage.

Blog Entries

Right if the Japanese play defensively.

I said no cav not all cav. You won't get killed faster in a corner because there are no teppos in the Mongol era.

Portuguese teppo are the same range as Japanese teppo. If you give the Mongols longer ranged archers, then camping won't work of the Japanese. All they will have left for a strategy is an infantry rush.

Really? from what I seen, Japanese teppos always shoot my Portuguse guys from a longer distance. Learn something new today.

I don't know what stats you are referring to with your Mongol/Japanese discussion and neither v1.02 nor Mod 103 were particularly balanced.
    As I stated above, I altered the 103 Mongol stats to a point where your arguments are not valid. The Japanese were quite capable of cav manoeuvres, JCA were not completely overpowered by MLC, only in melee and a covering YC could easily protect them. The Japanese have SA with greater range than KSk and better accuracy than MLC. KG and NI were about equal but YS would still defeat KS. That still leaves Nodachi that really had to be taken out by cav or javelins. I believe my MHC only had superiority over JHC because they were slightly faster, melee etc was the same. Considering the much lower cost, unit for unit, the Mongols were compelled to field significant infantry units, they simply could not afford too many expensive cav.
    Since Toda made a Mod version 105 and another that really changed unit sizes and a host of other things, I named mine 107. I was very happy with the MP tests. I wish I still had the stats so you could see for yourselves

.....Orda

Toh-GAH-koo-reh Member Togakure's Avatar

the 47s played 1.05 Mongol games amongst ourselves often and had great fun. We used 1.05 pretty much exclusively for Mongol battles because we found it to be superior to 1.03 and especially 1.02 in regard to balance between the Japanese and Mongol units.
    Be intent on loyalty
    While others aspire to perform meritorious services
    Concentrate on purity of intent
    While those around you are beset by egoism

misc kanryodo

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast