Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Samurai Warlords beta 8

Clan Takiyama Senior Member R'as al Ghul's Avatar

Default Re: Samurai Warlords beta 8

Have Fun Xehh II.
    Get the beta_8 for single player.
    In the not so far future I'll upload a sound add-on.

Last edited by R'as al Ghul; 03-11-2008 at 14:03.

Singleplayer: Download beta_8
    Multiplayer: Download beta_5.All.in.1
    I'll build a mountain of corpses - Ogami Itto, Lone Wolf & Cub
    Sometimes standing up for your friends means killing a whole lot of people - Sin City, by Frank Miller

I gave this mod a try yesterday, and I am quite impressed. It is probably the hardest campaign I have ever played, mainly because if you make one wrong move your toast. Thanks for the great mod .

Hi Tristrem,

glad you like it.
    It's generally considered to be challenging enough on "normal" difficulty.
    In this thread there're some posts which explain how the mod can be further tweaked in respect to economy, province income, etc. Those changes will be in the next version but that will take a while. Some of those changes can be easily implemented if you dare to edit a txt file.

R'as

Sometimes standing up for your friends means killing a whole lot of people - Sin City, by Frank Miller

I've changed the kensai to attack = 9 and defend = 7, and this seems to have brought the unit under control in the campaign. The unit may be too weak now. It's hard to tell.

The adjusted province incomes work very well in the campaign.

I'll be issuing a replacement set of castle maps and a new model damage file to go with them which will provide better balanced castle battles and remove the pathfinding problems inside the castles.

_________Designed to match Original STW gameplay.

Beta 8 + Beta 8.1 patch + New Maps + Sound add-on + Castles 2

Handler of candles Member Xehh II's Avatar

Awesome, awesome, awesome! This is awesome! Is fun and challenging, very, very good!
    A ha ha! Rainbows and unicorns! Rainbows and unicorns!

..fears no adversary Senior Member Jochi Khan's Avatar

Another happy warrior.
    R.I.P Great Warrior Ja mata TosaInu

sat at the..Nomad Alliance..campfire

Do your best and do it according to your own inner standard
    --call it conscience--
    not just according to society's knowledge and judgement of your deeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Xehh II
    Awesome, awesome, awesome! This is awesome! Is fun and challenging, very, very good!
    Glad you like it! I did win campaigns as Oda and Ashikaga on normal difficulty, so the campaign can be won. I have not won as Takeda after several attempts, and I'm having difficulty making rapid enough progress with Shimazu to actually win.

I am playing as Chosokabe, it is fun.

I have a question about naginata troops but maybe I should post this in the dojo instead.
    Why do naginata troops have low attack? They have the same weapon as the warrior monks, who have high attack, so it doesn't make sense that their attack is so low.

That's solely a gameplay decision.
    The difference between the units is the armour.
    The Monks don't wear any armour and are thus very agile.
    The Naginata Inf is the most heavily armoured unit of all.
    You could argue that the armour slows down the ability to attack for the NI while the Monks can move more freely but aren't that well protected.
    But in essence you're right. If you follow that line of argumentation, though you'd have to explain why sword always beats spear. That's not realistic either.
    If you read up on how Samurai armies (or generally armiesbefore the 18th century) were organized, you'll notice that there're no clear unit distinctions either.
    For example, an ashigaru squad consisted of gunners, archers (to fill in the reload times) and yari equipped spearmen. We can't model that in Samurai Warlords. The game makes many such allowances, it's not a simulation.

Nur-ad-Din Forum Administrator TosaInu's Avatar

Hello,

Not having a value larger than 0 doesn't mean the unit can't attack (even a negative value attacks).

The naginata is made a defensive unit. That doesn't mean he can't beat anything.
    The nodachi for example is offensive, it has high attack and charge values. The naginata will beat it normally though. Because it absorbs the blows and the nodachi can't keep up.
    Ja mata

TosaInu

Senior Member Senior Member Krasturak's Avatar

It works! It works! It works!

Lovely lovely lovely lovely lovely.

Krast happy, soup for all!

Thank you so much for hard work to make mod, now Krast has new coffin, new evil army, joyous yes yes yes.

*dances around shouting*

Hi Krast.

Hi,

I just downloaded this mod last week and gave it a try. I had fun. I played as the Mogami?? faction that has the orange color, and I played as expert only considering I've been a veteran with this game. There some thing that I noticed about this game that I want to point out here:

1)Other factions don't seem to be building a lot of troops like in the original shogun game, where they built tons of troops very quickly.

2)The AI is smart, and will attack me whenever chance they can find, and they usually do it gangly style (two or three factions take turns to attack).

3)NEVER do the auto battle resolve. You WILL lose every time, even if you have twice the amount of troops or have a much more superior force.

4)The heirs usually SUCKS. Rulers start out with 5 stars but most of his sons have like 3 stars or lower.

5)The game still needs a lot of fixing. It is still very buggy and crashes almost every time: after a battle or just crashes randomly.

6)I appreciate the hard work put in here. Hopefully in the future version it will be more stable. Game play is good so far.

Quote Originally Posted by R'as al Ghul
    That's solely a gameplay decision.
    The difference between the units is the armour.
    The Monks don't wear any armour and are thus very agile.
    The Naginata Inf is the most heavily armoured unit of all.
    You could argue that the armour slows down the ability to attack for the NI while the Monks can move more freely but aren't that well protected.
    But in essence you're right. If you follow that line of argumentation, though you'd have to explain why sword always beats spear. That's not realistic either.
    If you read up on how Samurai armies (or generally armiesbefore the 18th century) were organized, you'll notice that there're no clear unit distinctions either.
    For example, an ashigaru squad consisted of gunners, archers (to fill in the reload times) and yari equipped spearmen. We can't model that in Samurai Warlords. The game makes many such allowances, it's not a simulation.

Are you going to change the size of the units to reflect correctly like in the Medieval Total War, where the size of infantry is usually 100 and cavalry is 40 or less? I think also need to reduce the size of special units like the monk, no daichi...etc to about 40 to make it more realistic. It is kinda boring with almost all units of the same size.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugalu
    5)The game still needs a lot of fixing. It is still very buggy and crashes almost every time: after a battle or just crashes randomly.
    This is related to the computer hardware and software drivers for that hardware. MTW/VI may not run well or may no run at all on hardware that is newer or with software drivers that are newer than the game. For instance, I have never had the game crash with my WinXP + SP2 operating system and ATI 9800 Pro video card + Catalyst 4.6 video driver. If I update the video driver to one that is newer then the game doesn't work properly. Likewise, people with an GeForce 8800 series video card can't get MTW/VI to work no matter what video software driver they use. There is noting we can do within the mod itself to correct these computer compatibility problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugalu
    Are you going to change the size of the units to reflect correctly like in the Medieval Total War, where the size of infantry is usually 100 and cavalry is 40 or less? I think also need to reduce the size of special units like the monk, no daichi...etc to about 40 to make it more realistic. It is kinda boring with almost all units of the same size.
    The 60 man size is the correct size since the battle system was designed and balanced for that particular size. All units were 60 men in STW. If the unit size is changed for some units, the playbalance of those units will change. They would have to be rebalanced so that their combat performance is the same as the 60 man size, but due to the way battlefield upgrades work you cannot balance a non-60 man unit to have the same balance it would have if it were 60 men. You also introduce variable uncertainty into the combat result with variable size units. Also, there is no need for larger spear units because Samurai Wars spears do not use the rank bonus.

Possibly another era will be made where units have variable sizes, but it's not something that is being actively pursued at this time.
    Last edited by Puzz3D; 05-06-2008 at 11:06.

Thanks for clarifying. I think my comp probably crashes due to incompatibility. I had win Vista and I hear Vista does have some compatibility issues with software.

Hi,
    I downloaded Samurai Warlords beta 8 from mizus.com after following your link.
    However, the installation won't run:my computer says Samurai Warlords beta 8 is not a valid win32 application (whatever that means!)
    Please can you offer me some advice. Or is there another place I can download it from?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Obliqueattack
    Hi,
    I downloaded Samurai Warlords beta 8 from mizus.com after following your link.
    However, the installation won't run:my computer says Samurai Warlords beta 8 is not a valid win32 application (whatever that means!)
    Not a Valid Win32 Application

Possibly your virus scanner is preventing the install from running. Scan the downloaded file with your virus scanner, and see if it's reporting a virus. The file doesn't have a virus.

You could try downloading it again since a corrupted download could cause this problem.

There are a couple of other possibilities which seem to be related to Vista + SP1. You can read about possible fixes here in the post there by Ronnie Vernon about 3/4 of the way down the page. I'll quote the post here:

------------------
    Marco

Here is another approach to resolving this problem. Perform the following.

Clear the prefetch folder: C:\Windows\Prefetch.
    Delete all of the files in that folder, except the ReadyBoot folder.

This article was writen for XP, but works for Vista as well.
    How to Clear the Windows Paging File at Shutdown:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314834

*NOTE: Clearing the page file with every shutdown will result in a slight delay when opening some programs, the first time, immediately after a reboot.

Also, if you are using different versions of Microsoft Office on the same system, you may see this same behavior. The fix is the same.

Check to make sure that other 'exe' files are working OK on the system. If they are experiencing the same problem, the file association for that file type may have become corrupted. If this is the case, perform the following.

Go to the following website. You will see a box with many file extensions. Click the 'exe' box to download the file. Extract the contents of the zipped file. Double click the extracted file to merge with the registry. This will reset the EXE file association back to the default.

File association fixes for Windows Vista:
    http://www.winhelponline.com/article...ows-Vista.html

--------------------
    Last edited by Puzz3D; 05-06-2008 at 11:56.

Banned ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hey Guys,

You Guys still use Beta 5 for MP Correct? I'll be returning this Satruday Or Next Saturday to play (still do Saturdays correct?)

Thanks guys !

Nur-ad-Din Forum Administrator TosaInu's Avatar

Hello {BHC}AntiWarmanCake88,

Yes, beta5 is still used for MP.
    Ja mata

TosaInu

Hi,
    Thanks for your advice about Samurai warlords.

1 Virus programs can cause the problem
    (I've scanned the files and even turned off my anti virus; it makes no difference)
    2 The various things to do with .exe files I don't really understand.
    3 The download is corrupted; so try again.
    I've tried a hundred times to no avail.
    However I'm sticking with 3 as the problem for the moment for the following reasons:

I've noticed the file size for the Samurai warlords application is very SMALL, much smaller than other installers I've downloaded. (and I've downloaded many MTW mods). Either it's a 50kb file and I get "not a win32 application" or its a 0kb file that will not execute nor delete. Now, I'm no computer genius but this sounds to me like corrupted or incomplete download.

Anyway, I'm sure I've bored you to death with this by now, but perhaps you could help me to solve this problem. You have Samurai warlords, so I was wondering if you could check its file size for me - if its much larger than what I'm getting then I must have an incomplete or corrupted download.

Also, as I've downloaded this prog to no avail endless times, I was wondering if you could attach your Samurai warlords to an email and send it to me. That way I should get an uncorrupted version.

Many thanks!!!!

Beauty hunter Senior Member Raz's Avatar

Samurai Warlords Beta 8's installer should be around ~120 MB.
    As you've said that you've tried numerous times to download it, might I suggest getting a download manager for a more reliable download. Something like Free Download Manager would be perfect... if that doesn't work... hmm, well, try again.
    Quote Originally Posted by drone
    I imagine an open-source project to recreate [Medieval: Total War] would be faced with an army of high-valour lawyers.

Live your life out on Earth; I'm going to join the Sun.

is beta 0.9 due anytime soon?

Quote Originally Posted by Furunculu5
    is beta 0.9 due anytime soon?
    I would say no, but your question reminds me that I should finish up the new castle maps so they will be ready when R'as is ready to issue the next release.

cheers.

will your new castle maps be integrated into the 0.9 release along with the other recommended addons so we can have an all in one installer?

many thanks

Yes the new castle maps would be included in a beta 9 release. I don't know when that will be.

awesome, i could never get into S:TW after starting with M:TW, so i look forward to a medieval japan campaign in M:TW.

Hi guys,

here's the link for the Samurai Warlords patch 8.1. (222k)
    I'll post this in several threads to reach everybody.
    Features:
    • includes the fix by Techno_Mage_of_Shadows.
    • deletes all vanilla eras for easier access
    • features a new Main Menu title, so that people can check if the patch is properly installed.
    • the unit prod is still called "MP_11_unit_prod", the old will be overwritten by the patch, the stats haven't changed

R'as

this mod is very nice:)

just wondering when will the next version come out?
    Vote Republican! Join the military.
    God bless America! man made Global Warming is crap
    Al Gore dose not know what he is talking about
    Bomb Iran

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast