Thread: Xiphos, Dory, Sarissa and all that

She pushed me ... Member Arkatreides's Avatar

Default Xiphos, Dory, Sarissa and all that

It seems that the lethality of a unit is entirely linked to the weapon it is using (correct me if I am wrong) so I am planing to remove the lethality from the cards altogether and instead write down the explicit name of the weapon used.

So far I managed to idenitfy the following:

Phalanx units:
    Sarissa: 0.17
    ("shorter sarissa"): 0.15

Spearmen:
    Dory (Hoplite spear, overhand): 0.13
    Standard spear, underhand: 0.125
    Germanic spear (?) : 0.135

Swords:
    Longsword: 0.225
    Shortsword (Gladius/Xiphos): 0.13
    Kopis/Falcata: 0.1(1) AP
    Knife: 0.04

Axes:
    Axe: 0.165 (AP)
    Falx: 0.26 (AP)

Cavalry Lances and Spears:
    Lances(not sure about names): Ranges from 0.3 to 0.4 AP
    Xyston: 0.4 AP
    Spears: 0.15

I would be grateful if someone could confirm that I am thinking along the right lines and maybe fill in the gaps.
    Last edited by Arkatreides; 04-03-2007 at 12:21.

We can clone a sheep but we cannot clone a single photon.

Ming the Merciless is my idol Senior Member Watchman's Avatar

Default Re: Xiphos, Dory, Sarissa and all that

Shortswords are mostly 0.1, the 0.13 ones being better specimen like gladius hispaniensis I know that much.
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

-Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

I urge you to leave the lethality rating still in, even if you decide to add the weapon names. It doesn't take too much space on the cards and if it isn't there, there would have to be some kind of list or reference card to check if the kopis had lethality of 0.13 or whatever. Also, the whole concept of lethality could go unnoticed by some users and would make the cards less useful. I think the lethality is maybe the most useful value in the cards as they are now.

Well, just my 2 cents the choice is of course up to you Arkatreides. Love your cards!
    Call me Ruma. Puupertti Ruma.

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

I second keeping lethality. After all, those things are great for comparing units and I want a number :-p Numbers are your friends.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Quote Originally Posted by antisocialmunky
    After all, those things are great for comparing units and I want a number :-p Numbers are your friends.

But you'll have to admit that having terms like Xyston, Sarissa or Kopis on the cards sound far more 'historicallyaccurate' than 'lethality: 0.13'

BTW, Watchman, how can it be that Gladii are better than ordinary shortswords? I understand they are probably made of superior steel, but does that make a difference? Isn't that a bit odd, especially if the stats of the longswords of the (for instance later) Celtic warriors that are stated as 'higher quality' by the unit description', are equal to the stats of the swords of lesser quality?
    Last edited by Enguerrand de Sarnéac; 04-04-2007 at 19:19.
    -Hige sceal þe heardra, heorte þe cenre; Mod sceal þe mare þe ure mægen lytlað

Those sick claymore-type swords carried by the Kluddargos have a lethality of 0.285. Couple that with AP...

In my Casse campaign I keep a couple of them in each army, as they make general killers par excellence. Heacy cavalry dont stand a chance, they are better at dealing with the pesky immortal generals than any spearmen. They are fast too, and are handy for chasing down fleeing enemies and slaughtering them.

I think they are probably my favorite units in EB!

Edit: on topic, I vote keep the lethality on the card. Its very handy to have, and easier than cross-referencing, like PR said...
    Last edited by Kugutsu; 04-04-2007 at 16:38.

Quote Originally Posted by Enguerrand de Sarnéac

But you'l have to admit that having terms like Xyston, Sarissa or Kopis on the cards sound far more 'historicallyaccurate' than 'lethality: 0.13'
    I agree.

BTW, Watchman, how can it be that Gladii are better than ordinary shortswords? I understand they are probably made of superior steel, but does that make a difference? Isn't that a bit odd, especially if the stats of the longswords of the (for instance later) Celtic warriors that are stated as 'higher quality' by the unit description', are equal to the stats of the swords of lesser quality?
    You'd really have to ask the EB team experts on the matter and about their judgement, but AFAIK the reason is very simple - plain better design and workmansip. That's why the Romans ditched their earlier Italian short swords for the Iberian ones, after all, and never looked back.

I don't quite see what the longswords have to do with the issue though. Those things have lethality at a whopping 0.225 (the highest any normal one-handed weapon gets AFAIK) regardless of whether they're Celtic, German, Scythian or Iranian (EDIT: or Arabian; just remembered the Browncoats use them too). The Celtic short swords are unceremoniously stuck with the standard 0.1 though, although the Cwmyr as their description mentions have a bit longer type worth 0.13.
    Last edited by Watchman; 04-05-2007 at 00:35.
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

But you'll have to admit that having terms like Xyston, Sarissa or Kopis on the cards sound far more 'historicallyaccurate' than 'lethality: 0.13'

Couldn't Arkatreides just replace the weapon name with that and keep the lethality? I would think that generic names like 'spear' or 'sword' are more bland than a useful stat like lethality. Maybe also to clarify, make a small weapon(sword, spear, nun-chuk.. etc) type icon to the left of the weapon name?
    Last edited by antisocialmunky; 04-05-2007 at 00:27.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Quote Originally Posted by antisocialmunky
    Couldn't Arkatreides just replace the weapon name with that and keep the lethality? I would think that generic names like 'spear' or 'sword' are more bland than a useful stat like lethality. Maybe also to clarify, make a small weapon(sword, spear, nun-chuk.. etc) type icon to the left of the weapon name?
    Icons would be hot, but I dunno if he can fit that in. I guess we'll just have to see what happens.

But Ark, whatever you do, don't remove the Lethality, that's the reason I check the cards roughly 87.34 per cent of the time
    Hi, doctor Nick! - Everybody

She pushed me ... Member Arkatreides's Avatar

I will almost certainly keep the lethality value on the cards. As for the names I will see how things go. Icons might be a bit tricky but I will look into it.

We can clone a sheep but we cannot clone a single photon.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchman
    I don't quite see what the longswords have to do with the issue though. Those things have lethality at a whopping 0.225 (the highest any normal one-handed weapon gets AFAIK) regardless of whether they're Celtic, German, Scythian or Iranian (EDIT: or Arabian; just remembered the Browncoats use them too). The Celtic short swords are unceremoniously stuck with the standard 0.1 though, although the Cwmyr as their description mentions have a bit longer type worth 0.13.
    I meant that gladii are better compared to other, lower quality shortswords, which was probably like that too, which is all reflected in their lethality value. However, all longswords seem to have the same lethality (0.225 as you state), even though it'd be regardless whether they're Celtic, German, Scythian or Iranian, or regardless quality (Botroas vs. Rycalawre longswords for instance)
    Shortswords get a lethality different following their quality, however longswords apparently not.
    Seemed odd anyway that there's such a difference only because of the way a sword was made; I thought it'd only prevent quickly becoming blunt or break. Which is a significant advantage, but does it mean that much on the battlefield in 'lethality'? I mean, does it make a difference if you're stabbed by a high quality Gladius Hispaniensis, or a silly shortsword of the likes the Kluddobro carry? Both were most probably sharpened before the battle...
    -Hige sceal þe heardra, heorte þe cenre; Mod sceal þe mare þe ure mægen lytlað

It would make a difference if you were the second (or later) person to be stabbed. If the sword is blunted after the first attack, it will be less lethal. A higher quality sword will be lethal for longer, as it will suffer less wear and tear, and keep that killing edge for longer.

Check out the bending gallic swords in Polybius...

As for the longswords, I'd hazard a guess EB just goes by the assumption that the actual units using them are made up of people who can and will get good swords, not that bendy crap junior warriors might buy to show off (early "Rolex knock-off" phenomenom). After all, all the longsword users are either members of dedicated warrior classes (eg. the Celts), prosperous citizen-soldiers or elite guard units (various Greeks and Hellenics, some Sabaeans), or outright aristocracies warrior or not plus their personal retainers (steppe types, some Sabaeans, Goidils etc.).