Thread: Friendly of foe?

woo, think we touched a nerve with that multiplayer cheat thing (shut up now, it's closed) but anyways, i ask my fellow sword dojo-ists their opinion:

Competetive or Friendly?

frankly, i don't see any point in friendlies. lately i have been bemused at the "teenage chat" style fights in the stw multiplay lobby. but what has struck me more is the cause of such uproar: competetives. it seems, if someone loses a competetive, they can no longer live it down, but instead drive for vengeance, or at least another honour point. so i think "honour?", because there is no honour in some of the games i have played. now the victor has to brag and ridicule the loser, and the loser fight back with accusations of cheating and foul language. all over a couple, at tops, of measley points. which brings me back to my other point: friendlies. now i see no reason why i would want to fight a battle against someone and have no record of it listed on the stw site. people were afraid of an indignant loss, but with the scores being reset in a matter of weeks now, is there really any need for such fuss?

i believe honour is not won in point format, but in the true gaming valour of the player, prothetiic/pathetic as it sounds. i personally have enjoyed many of my losses much more than any win, no matter what the point difference was. if a player cannot stand to lose a point for a newbie's win, then that player does not deserve the point in the first place.

so i say, if you are to play online anytime in the next month, make it worthwhile for everyone. engage, teach and welcome newbies, for we were all like them once before, and openly drop points, because come the mongols, there will not be anymore points for you to offer.

now tell me why the hardcore clanners should not be open to this way of thinking. to real honour.

------------------
    The weakest weapon is not a blunt arrow,
    but the fool who uses it.
    TIGER LILY!!!
    TIGER LILY!!!
    check it out for yourself at: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/tom.surman/frames.html

sorry, heart-felt blabber
    TIGER LILY!!!
    check it out for yourself at: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/tom.surman/frames.html

Summa Rudis Senior Member Catiline's Avatar

Framkly when I play online I go for friendies precisely so i don't get involved in all this nonsense, and point don't matter there. People who know you will play friendly's anyhow, and people who don't are more inclined to. THere's no escaping, and no 2000+ points only nonsense. Comp games do add a bit of an edge, but I don't find them anymore fun. you can play much more interesting maps and people will join, experiment with different troop balances without worrying about points. If the scores are getting reset then I can't see why the points issue will matter at all, but to some people it will, and there'll be races to get those last few points in here and there before reset day.

Maybe a bit of a nerve got touched, but i really don't want cheating debates to get started, they pull forums to bits, and we're going to get alot of newbies in in the not to distant, so I don't think we need debates about the forum rules going on .

------------------
    It's not a bug, it's a feature
    Quo usque tandem abutere, Catilina, patientia nostra

Uhh...ok my topic made in furuious rage is closed. Better like that don't want the org finishing like a flaming blaze

On this topic; frankly I like both friendlies to play with mates and comps to put up some adrenaline in my blood.

------------------
    Honour to Clan No Fear.

Visit my resource centre at: http://terazawa.totalwar.org

[This message has been edited by Terazawa Tokugawa (edited 04-14-2001).]

haven't played online in a while.. but i went for friendly's more often than not

------------------
    Chaos is born from order.
    Cowardice is born from bravery.
    Weakness is born from strength.
    -Sun Tzu
    Chaos is born from order.
    Cowardice is born from bravery.
    Weakness is born from strength.
    -Sun Tzu

havent played Shogun online, i just god it 4 days ago or 5, im basically new to it.
    "P5334 M3!"

Had the game for at least 8 months, haven't played on-line mostly because win or loose, i'm in it for fun. Points, ranking, insults, cheating, camping, problems with the server, that's not for me. I have a lot of fun in the single game because of the "open-Endness" of it. A lot of room for imagination, trying different things. Maybe i'll try it once one day...

Southpaw Samurai Member Ii Naomasa's Avatar

When I first got Shogun when it came out, I played a dozen or so competitive games because the added bonus of seeing how you ranked was exciting (and competitive games were often more common back then). Between monk rushes (before we started implementing strategies against it), squatters, droppers, and the multi-person battles where you sometimes find yourself on the side of incompetence, I realized that fretting over stats wasn't worth it.

I've played mostly friendlies since and have had a lot more fun. People are more willing to play around and try things, no one bothers to cheat, and you can try fun things (a friend and I once played a 2 on 3 castle map where the three opponents playing defense versus us. Knowing we were at a disadvantage of sorts, we decided to play a 'Mongol attack' strategy (long before the add one was announced) and I loaded up on cavalry archers and he on spearmen. Suprisingly, we actually won, as I just played chaos with their lines). In addition, I've gotten to play against some really good players I would probably not have gotten the chance to as my low stats would've weakened them, even in victory.

I suppose it all comes down to what you want. If you thrive on competition and need a concrete sign of ability, Competitive mode is the way to go. For me, I but games for fun and friendly games give me that with absolutely no frustration (outside of the occassional online code quirks) and it has allowed me to play with strategies I would have avoided in a 'must win' mindset.
    Naomasa Ii
    Vices & Virtues:
    Verbal Diarrhea: This general can't ever say or write anything in less than three paragraphs. Can't even yell 'Charge' without a soliloquy. -3 to command.

Quote Originally posted by Ii Naomasa:
    When I first got Shogun when it came out, I played a dozen or so competitive games because the added bonus of seeing how you ranked was exciting (and competitive games were often more common back then). Between monk rushes (before we started implementing strategies against it), squatters, droppers, and the multi-person battles where you sometimes find yourself on the side of incompetence, I realized that fretting over stats wasn't worth it.

I've played mostly friendlies since and have had a lot more fun. People are more willing to play around and try things, no one bothers to cheat, and you can try fun things (a friend and I once played a 2 on 3 castle map where the three opponents playing defense versus us. Knowing we were at a disadvantage of sorts, we decided to play a 'Mongol attack' strategy (long before the add one was announced) and I loaded up on cavalry archers and he on spearmen. Suprisingly, we actually won, as I just played chaos with their lines). In addition, I've gotten to play against some really good players I would probably not have gotten the chance to as my low stats would've weakened them, even in victory.

I suppose it all comes down to what you want. If you thrive on competition and need a concrete sign of ability, Competitive mode is the way to go. For me, I but games for fun and friendly games give me that with absolutely no frustration (outside of the occassional online code quirks) and it has allowed me to play with strategies I would have avoided in a 'must win' mindset.
    [/QUOTE]

i thought the computer only allowed one defensive team for a castle map?

------------------
    "Failure is not an option"
    I will be Baron of the world.

Southpaw Samurai Member Ii Naomasa's Avatar

Brown Wolf Technically, it was one team versus another team. The offense just had two players and the defense three. And, yes, only one of those players was actually in the castle proper, although one of his teammates did manage to move some troops into the castle walls while we maneuvered (I had split my horse cavalry into three sections...it was a bit of micromanagement, but it was fun nonetheless...my teammate was overlooking my forces and deployed spearmen to backup any areas where it looked like my cavalry was being attacked and I wasn't actively moving them...worked out well).

Naomasa Ii
    Vices & Virtues:
    Verbal Diarrhea: This general can't ever say or write anything in less than three paragraphs. Can't even yell 'Charge' without a soliloquy. -3 to command.