Thread: bribing

Default bribing

Is it only me, or are the AI factions over-wealty?
    So far I got 7 settlements 4 generals und numerous armies bribed - even big ones.
    Mostly it were the Cartaginians. They even bribed Carthago back 2 times
    If you think that it takes very much money to bribe, how did they get it? The Money-script I read somewhere?

btw: I'm at 233BC, what is this event with new unit types? Only eastern armies, and nothing I (Roman) get to see at the moment?
    And when do I get the ballistas I see in custom battle? (I really miss the "5 scorpions against a whole army of phalangites" from Total Realism )

Default Re: bribing

Carthage is usually the wealthiest one.
    Try this, it might help: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=83349

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

I once had a great general and a half legion get bribed.
    I sent his brother with another legion after him and killed him. Too bad it was just the general and a couple gallic auxilias. It would have been cool to fight a legion on legion battle, especially since it was brother against brother.

Default AW: bribing

Not if you have to fight against your hard-trained silver principes defending a town with just recruit units as attackers. Trust me.

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

Default Re: AW: bribing

Quote Originally Posted by LennStar
    Not if you have to fight against your hard-trained silver principes defending a town with just recruit units as attackers. Trust me.
    But it would be a neat twist. You have to cancel your plans in another part of your empire and send a legion home to defend against a traitor. The harder the fight the better, more glory to the victor.

Of course if this happened more than once, I would be really pissed.

In my Romani campaign I try to out-bribe the Carthaginians. They purchased Tolosa from me against my will, so I strolled over there with a diplomat. About 5 years later Hannibal was leading my brand new Polybian army over to take Iberia off their hands. It was a good feeling, that irony.

And Qarthadast usually eats, drinks, craps, sleeps on and bathes in gold, particularly with the script. Fortunately I never lost too much that was worthwhile to their endless pockets.

Default AW: bribing

Well, at the moment they have only 3 towns left. Not a very big opponent any more. Yust waiting to get the conquered towns quite enough to move the legions out. I'm currently fighting against Lusotanien - its a long way from Rome. And the ugly Barbarians that attack every turn in the North.

But its funny - I had to conquer Carthage 3 times. It were not the Punic Wars, but funny in a way.

Yes, it sucks when they bribe your settlements. In my current campaign as Seleuceia: Ptolemy bought 3 towns from me and three generals from Petra to that town south of Antioch. So now I am actively searching out their diplomats and killing them off whilst sending a large army of Thureophoroi, Thorakitai, Pheraspidai, and Hypaspistai to take my towns back.