Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Gratuitous Eye Candy Thread

Default Re: Gratuitous Eye Candy Thread

Just how could I have missed out the Zombies, they´re great. I wonder how the greenies will turn out...

Quote Originally Posted by ellydog
    nice screen shots, i really like the the looks of the skelitons in the first pic. About the second pic is it just me or do those sheilds look a little big for skelitons?
    I like the coffin lids idea, nice touch.
    Last edited by Didz; 05-18-2007 at 12:12.
    Didz
    Fortis balore et armis

Just a few work in progress shots of the Chaos Warrior. I am going to pinch the shoulder pads and a few other bits to make some veteran marauders as well :D
    Careless Orc Costs Lives!

Simply amazin! No other way to describe it! Awesome Work guys!

Man, I am reallyu excited about this mod.

Bwian awesome mod! truly looking forward to downloading it.
    also how do you add the skin to the model?

Eufarius ... I'm not sure what you mean. The model is UV mapped, and the material applied. Standard 3D modelling practice. Then...in game, you tell the game what texture to use on the model, and it is applied to the mesh as dictated by the UV map.

Question Bwian:

Will captains be different for every faction as well, or can they not be modified?

Different factions will have different captians. You can't have a unit of Dwarves commanded by an Orc ......

Since it has been days since our last gratuitous showing off with lovely eye candy, I figured it was time to unveil the next finished product. You've seen it in development...now feel the joy of

CHAOS!

Chaos belongs to Denmark? But seriously great job Bwian.

Also Bwain will each Chaos faction have units with different uniforms or will there just be one set of uniforms for the Chaos factions?
    Last edited by uanime5; 05-20-2007 at 14:53.
    4 Seasons (6 Empires battle for supremecy); 3.0 version
    Total War Eras (start at 970, 1080, 1200, 1300, 1400, or 1500); 2.4 version
    Eras Total Conquest (start at 1230, 1346, 1547); 1.2 version

I can go to bed happy tonight. Great work on the map and models.

Uanime5 ... have you ever BEEN to Denmark? I have. If you are querying whether or not we will have Chaos as seperate factions with unique colour schemes for each faction... well...I think this should answer your question

The plain black colours I have assigned to 'slave' to use as rebels not aligned to any of the declared factions

Wow. Friggin' ay man. They look great!

is not a senior Member Meneldil's Avatar

Default Re : Gratuitous Eye Candy Thread

Well, quite frankly, I think they're a bit too thin. Chaos Warriors are like fantasy Space Marines. They wear huge ornemented armors, that make them literally look like robots.
    Helmet, shoulder and chest armors are fine, but then they have their slim arms and legs, and somehow that look weird.

As for their colors, I think some of their are too bright. The Nurgles one especially.

The game workshop US site has some nice colours scheme, that look more realistic IMO.

I know criticizing is easier than actually modelling and texturing, but well, I had to give my opinion

The thickness of limbs is relative...and I think the later versions of GW miniatures just went way too far. These are humans after all! To make the bodies thicke is possible...but then you get real issues with makign them bend smoothly. The animation distorts the mesh a lot more, and you get very poor joints. They look OK to me, and move and flex nicely. Some things you just have to live with! I am more worried how I am going to do the elite Champion type units. They MUST be bigger and chunkier than the Warriors

I can try and tone down the green easy enough, but the red I like....
    Blue and purple are spot on for me as well.

and...just for fun ... I have mounted the Marauders and given them spear primary weapons:

what i meant Bwian was when i'm trying to change imperial knight( HRE) i add the texture for it it comes out a huge mess. BTW im using milkshape.

Bringer of the End Times Member alexader's Avatar

bwian,these lads are awesome(from my point,i didn't like little those how hadn't had helmet,not because i want everyone to have a helmet but for the reason that the head are the same,also i think it's good to make a little difference on the horns)but it is still awesome,i can't wait.keep it up..
    "VAE VICTUS"

bwian,will you include shields for them?i want to add something for the end,these weapons that you've made for the are awesome.keep walking men,you rockkkkkkkkkkk....................
    "VAE VICTUS"

i think you should make a litlle more armor in the legs and arms,also afur-coat would be good./.........
    "VAE VICTUS"

To have another head texture means another head model and some more texture space. I was running out of space on the texture and had to limit how many head variations I had. This is still better than RTW, when ALL the models looked the same!

Shields are going to be added for the upgrade models.

Eufarius ... if you are trying to add a skin for a model that was never meant to have that skin, then the UV map will be all wrong. You can't do it and expect it to work. Do a google search and look up UV mapping.

thank you very much YOU ROCK WARHAMMER!!!

Is the helmetless chaos warrior using a head texture made by you? Whenever I think of a chaos warrior I imagine someone bald with pale skin. Not that big a deal really, the current guy just looks a little normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Bwian
    The thickness of limbs is relative...and I think the later versions of GW miniatures just went way too far. These are humans after all!
    Sorry to disagree but they're not actually, the fluff says that their armour is fused to their bodies and cant be removed, sortof an exoskeleton if you like. That'd be my main gripe with these guys, they look too much like normal guys wearing armour. Its the helmets I think, they look a little oversized compared with the rest and faces shouldnt be visible through the visor, a black slit would be much more menacing.

true they do look thin maybe making them buffer will help?

Quote Originally Posted by Eufarius
    true they do look thin maybe making them buffer will help?
    The thing is Bwian says that if they look buffer, annimations and joints begin to look sloppy, I think. But this also leaves me to think, what will you guys do with creatures like orcs and Lizardmen that are either much taller, buffer, or both more then a man? Can you rework skeletons to make it less sloppy?

OK .... reality check time:

1) Yes ..we can make the skeleton change to broaden the shoulders and make the model look beefire. Downside is... you would need a COMPLETE set of animations for the movements. I will be doing this for the greenskins and will re-use the change for the Lizardmen and a few others with some scdaling. I will also do it for the Dwarf race, since there is no other way to do Dwarves. I have already planned to treble the number of animations in the game, and this has a resource overhead....both in terms of the size of the mod, and of the speed of gamepley. I don't want to further up the size of the animations file unless I absolutely have to.

2) If you make limbs too thick, they do not bend well on a skeleton like the game has. The subtlety of movement goes unless you ramp up the polygon count and sculpt the msucles to hide the effect. I have gone for a compromise that allows us to get something workable without looking too bad.

3) The head is already underscale to give the illusion of a bulkier body. I can take that a bit further ... but again....there are limits before things start to look a little odd when seen against the other models in game.

So...where does this leave us:

First off, I can change the face texture of the helmetless variant easy enough. Something more pale and unhealthy will be the order of the day. I wanted the faces to be visible on the ordinary warriors, but not on the more elite units. These guys would probably want to keep their faces hidden! The upgrades will also be featuring mutations on some of the visible bits.

Secondly..I have some ideas how I can bulk up the arms and legs with some added plates to uncrease the size of the pieces, but leave the knee and elbow joints untouched. There will be some issues ... but I think I can hide most of it. Whatever I do here, I must work with the stock skeleton for now. If it is possible to introduce a scale factor without the need for multiple versions of the animations, then I would fiurther decrease the size of the head and up the overall scale by about 5-10% ... but only if I can do it without animation pain!

thirdly ...don't worry about the greenskins or the Lizards ... they are sufficiently non-human to need a rebuild anyway. I just don't want to overdo the new skeletons ... there are limits if we are to keep it playable.

Casuir raised an issue about the armour on a Chaos Warrior. I double checked the text, and the ordinary Warriors are definitely human. They are the best of the warrior Northmen, who survive long enough to rise in the ranks. The Champions have the Chaos Armour that never comes off ... not the ordinary guys.

Finally ... we are constrained by some of the game mechanics and underlying hard-coded features and functions. There will inevitably be comproimises, and we will do what we can to work around it .. but there will be times when we can't do exactly what we want. For those of you familiar with modding this game, I am sure you have been there! For those of you who have never tried to mod an TW game ... welcome to reality!
    Last edited by Bwian; 05-21-2007 at 14:12.

Quote Originally Posted by Bwian
    Uanime5 ... have you ever BEEN to Denmark? I have.
    I mentioned Denmark because one of the Chaos soldiers is carrying the Danish banner.

4 Seasons (6 Empires battle for supremecy); 3.0 version
    Total War Eras (start at 970, 1080, 1200, 1300, 1400, or 1500); 2.4 version
    Eras Total Conquest (start at 1230, 1346, 1547); 1.2 version

yeah ..I am using that faction for one of the Chaos factions ... seemed to fit Copenhagen is a pretty chaotic crazy place. The others are slotted into Hungary, Sicily and Milan ... for no reason at all.

Annoying Warhammer know-it-all Member DrZoidberg's Avatar

I only have one comment...or two. 1) is that I think Slaaneesh chaos warriors should have bright pink armour and not purple. It's a matter of taste. 2), great work. These are fucking awesome. This mod will kick so much ass. Good work.
    Sorry you must have been boring. -Dr Zoidberg

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast