Thread: New Laptop Issue

Default New Laptop Issue

hey, I got a new Vista laptop today and plugged it in and started it up at around 9ish. It says on the little notice thingy that it could take an hour or more to setup. Its been on a blueish greenish screen with the words "Please Wait..." for 3 hours, its now midnight. The notice also mentions that it may appear blank or inactive for sometime but its normal. It also says I should not turn it off or restart it. Im fine with waiting and if it is broke then I have no problem going back and demanding a new one. Does anyone know how much longer I can expect to wait?

Default Re: New Laptop Issue

When I installed Vista on my desktop, it took me about an hour from nothing to a full install including drivers and updates. Three hours sounds a bit long in that context, it either just crashed or something is broken. You may want to take it back the way it is now so noone can say you broke it by restarting when the instruction clearly was not to restart.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Why on earth would you have been given a laptop without Vista/XP preinstalled?
    From wise men, O Lord, protect us -anon
    The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of millions, a statistic -Stalin
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

Quote Originally Posted by Marius Dynamite
    ...a new Vista laptop...
    There's a laptop with Vista OS already??

Got it, you're trying to install Vista OS from a fresh laptop?
    Medieval 2: Total War Guide to Traits and Retinue
    "Tenderness and kindness are not signs of weakness and despair but manifestations of strength and resolution." - Khalil Gibran

World War 3 erupted in mid-1960's: NATO - Warsaw Pact Conflict multiplayer Interactive, choose one from several available countries

Quote Originally Posted by Tran
    I've seen quite a few some weeks ago in the local electronics store, Dell has them as well.

The screen could be some Vista preparation thing running at the first Vista start, for example it benchmarks your hardware and rates it accordingly.
    If you're unlucky, the laptop was just overheating during the benchmark, in that case I'd recommend a completely different laptop since that shouldn't happen with modern laptops.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Got it, you're trying to install Vista OS from a fresh laptop?
    The laptop is brand new, never been switched on. When I buy it it has Vista ready to boot on the HDD. So yes, a laptop with Vista OS. :-).

Anyway the laptop was buggered, must have been damaged in packaging or something. I went and got a replacement this morning and it works fine.
    I feel silly waiting all those hours for a laptop which was never going to work to work :P

I know alot of people say Vista is bad and things, but I don't see much wrong with the laptop so far. It plays Company of Heroes pretty good, although it has to be on lowest graphics to not lag. But then, on lowest graphics it looks like medium graphics on my PC, so I dont know.

Ah, thanks for enlightening me!

And Marius, while I can't really give help or concrete solution, I can only suggest (the first thing I often do) when got problem like this is return to the store you buy and complain then try to ask the IT people / tech stuff to fix it for you (I assume you bought it from an IT or computer store). Perhaps bring along the guarantee paper, if you have done it, then I'd like to know what those people do to your laptop?
    Medieval 2: Total War Guide to Traits and Retinue
    "Tenderness and kindness are not signs of weakness and despair but manifestations of strength and resolution." - Khalil Gibran

World War 3 erupted in mid-1960's: NATO - Warsaw Pact Conflict multiplayer Interactive, choose one from several available countries