Thread: Please, Please, CTD Help!!!

Unhappy Please, Please, CTD Help!!!

Hi....

I am a faithful and grateful fan of EB and have been since day 1!

I currently have a CTD on my roman Campaign, and need some help.
    I have tried everything offered by the forum, and still no results.

I am playing on the latest update .81a and have updated with all of the currently offered fixes.

Therefore I am posting my savegame file so that anyone kind and interested to help can test and try to fix the problem.

May LORD have mercy on us...

Link to download savegame file:

http://uploaded.to/?id=2oz4i5

Last edited by Gladiator7; 04-28-2007 at 08:34.

Default Re: Please, Please, CTD Help!!!

Please, give this a look, and report back later: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=83728

Why? Because this helps the Anti CTD missiles to track your trouble down to something we can fix, or to something we can't fix and the sooner we know what's causing it the better - right?
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Please, give this a look, and report back later: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=83728

Why? Because this helps the Anti CTD missiles to track your trouble down to something we can fix, or to something we can't fix and the sooner we know what's causing it the better - right?

I have already tried everything in that thread and still no luck with the CTD!!!
    I am on the verge of a suicide!!!

Why me LORD?

Nah, I meant, the second part of it. And, come to think of it - that's what my whole 2nd remark thing was about. Allow me to quote:

Quote Originally Posted by bovi
    Many who ask for help give us very little information about what is happening at the time, and it makes the process of helping out ineffective. We will from now on just refer people to this post if we get too little information from you.

(...)

REALLY IMPORTANT INFO:

• On the same topic, do you have any unofficial mods installed?
    • Have you deleted map.rwm? Please see this sticky to know why this is really important. Note that you need to do this again when applying the permanent fixes.
    • Have you tried the temporary fixes in the sticky mentioned earlier? It didn't work? Please post a report. It worked? Great, your campaign is resurrected! Please post a report nevertheless, as we need it to find better, permanent fixes and to make the next version as stable as possible.
    • Does it still crash if you do not enable the background script?
    • Have you tried it 3 times or more, with consistent crashes?

IMPORTANT INFO:

Some of this can be hard to find out, but if you use the toggle_fow console command you'll be able to see it better. You can use console commands by tapping the key right below Esc on your keyboard.
    • What is happening when the crash occurs? Are you attacking someone, were you attacked, were you conducting diplomacy, was the AI doing its turn etc. Please have a look around the map for settlements about to rebel.
    • Where does stuff happen when the crash occurs? This makes us able to focus more on the area in question instead of looking around the map.
    • When does the crash occur? What year is it? What's the season? Have you had any reforms? Do you know if any other factions have had reforms?
    Ok, modified the colours and size a bit. But please, please, READ a thread especially when it's stickied.
    Last edited by Tellos Athenaios; 04-28-2007 at 14:18.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

This is not meant to offend you, btw. But I do hope that anyone who reads such a reply does react a bit like this:
    - Tellos Athenaios

This is not meant to offend you, btw. But I do hope that anyone who reads such a reply does react a bit like this:
    Your remarks do not offend me!!!

On the same topic, do you have any unofficial mods installed?
    Have you deleted map.rwm? Please see this sticky to know why this is really important. Note that you need to do this again when applying the permanent fixes.
    Have you tried the temporary fixes in the sticky mentioned earlier? It didn't work? Please post a report. It worked? Great, your campaign is resurrected! Please post a report nevertheless, as we need it to find better, permanent fixes and to make the next version as stable as possible.
    Does it still crash if you do not enable the background script?
    Have you tried it 3 times or more, with consistent crashes?
    1.I have no other mods installed! Only mod I am using is EB 0.81a full install.
    This mod was reinstalled clean and fresh on my machine after 35+ CTD's on the same savegame file!
    2.Yes I have deleted the map.rwm! I have tried this process about 10 times if you count all of the occasions before and after the fresh reinstall.
    3.Yes I have tried all of the previously mentioned permanent and temporary fixes. I tried them individually and as a combination. It took a whole lot of reinstalling things, but I desperately wanted it fix.
    4.Regardless of background script it crashes every time.
    5.I have literary tried each scenario more than 5 times. It took me 48 hours of research and trying different things before I decided to post. I pursued every avenue available to me before deciding to ask for help.

IMPORTANT INFO:

Some of this can be hard to find out, but if you use the toggle_fow console command you'll be able to see it better. You can use console commands by tapping the key right below Esc on your keyboard.
    What is happening when the crash occurs? Are you attacking someone, were you attacked, were you conducting diplomacy, was the AI doing its turn etc. Please have a look around the map for settlements about to rebel.
    Where does stuff happen when the crash occurs? This makes us able to focus more on the area in question instead of looking around the map.
    When does the crash occur? What year is it? What's the season? Have you had any reforms? Do you know if any other factions have had reforms?
    Yes I have used toggle_fow and follow ai_movement, however not much luck there in determening what the cause is, because the game is not always crashing at the same time.
    I am not attacking anyone at the time of the crash, and no one is offering any diplomacy options to me either.
    CTD happens after I press END TURN, and it comes to about Hayasdan, Sauromatae, or Eleutheroi. It varies every time. However, it is always one of those three factions.
    The year is 198 BC Summer, and I currently have Polybian reforms. I don't know of the others if they had any reforms.

Hope this info helps!
    If not, I would be happy to provide any additional info you might desire, just ask.
    I would also recommend to just simply download and try the game for yourself. That would probably offer you the most insight on what the problem is when the crach occurs.

Thank you for all of the help and effort, even if you don't fix it in the end.
    I will still love and be greatful for EB and its wonderfull community.

Ed Gracanin
    Gladiator7
    Mujo_Hrnjica

Thanks, that's a lot more helpful . The reason why we ask for all this information before downloading the game is because in many cases it's a waste of time; by answering the questions we ask people often find something that helps them out.

There's one question you've missed though, are there any cities about to rebel? A great number of CTDs come from this, and we've verified that our solution for the bug is not complete; it gets less and less adequate as the game progresses, and you're pretty far along in your game. The fact that it crashes at different times suggests that there are several cities that may rebel and some may not each time. You could try to temporarily use Fallen's adaptation for Marcus' rebellion CTD fix for 0.81(a?) to see if it gets you past the crash, it shoots broader than our own current solution. You'll find it in the unofficial mods section.

I'd try out your game myself but am not at a computer with the game right now.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

Question Re: Please, Please, CTD Help!!!

Thanks for the reply from all you guys!

I am not sure if any city is about to rebel, because I don't know how to look for that. Please guide me.
    (I do know that none of my cities should be rebeling, but not for other factions).

I also tried the mod you suggested but no luck so far.

Thanks for trying...

And thanks to everyone else who is willing to spend time resolving the issue.

I feel as if EB Community is one big support group.

Love you guys!!!

If you have fow disabled you can just double-click on every city and even w/o perfect spy enabled, you just need to look for the pitchfork symbol. No symbol, no rebellion.
    Balloons:
    From gamegeek2 for my awesome AI expansion -
    From machinor for 'splainin -

Please guide me on how to have a perfect spy enabled and I will go ahead and try to debug the savegame file.

Thanks so much...
    Please forgive my ignorance...

Good evening..or so..
    iam have the same problem...sorry for my worse english...iam from germany and to this point i love the mod but at the time ca 190 b.c the game crash...mostly by the eleuthroi...ist there a solve of the problem?

Ok. First thing to do: left click the hyperlink https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=83728 and do as told there.

EDIT Part 1: First thing to remember, always look for a solution, or a guide to fix your trouble among the stickies. These can be considered reliable, and are always supported by the team. Give anything even remotely related to your trouble a read: including this guide to which the hyperlink refers, which explicitly deals with describing your technical problems with EB. IF it's not listed there, well then most likely there's either no solution (yet) or you experience something (relatively) unknown or rare.

EDIT Part 2:
    @Keldroths:
    Do not respond to this post in this thread. Neither continue asking for help in this particular thread, because that's just threadjacking - and since this thread was meant as a call for help that wouldn't be exactly helpful, would it? Although your technical issues may seem the same as those of someone else, always create your own thread.
    @Anyone:
    Please, do not respond to this post or the one above, for exactly the same reasons.
    Last edited by Tellos Athenaios; 04-28-2007 at 22:16.
    - Tellos Athenaios

I downloaded the savegame in the OP for giggles, and here it crashes either in the Koinon Hellenon or Sauromatae turns. Both have no rebellious cities as far as I can see (no little pitchfork symbol). The next thing I would do is kill all Sauromatae stacks, maybe the OP tries it. IT can take some time, but it may save your game...

The method is described here (over multiple posts)

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=82881

Don't forget that the format for moving characters is

move_character "Firstnamemiddlename Lastname" x,y

Unlike pretty much every other recent report, this one is not fixed by the new (old) broader rebellion CTD fix. It'll probably take some time to find its cause.

Just to clarify Tellos' last post, anyone is of course free to contribute to solving Gladiator7's problem... Such as by trying to kill off the Sauromatae stacks like Cato suggests .

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

Now sporting a classic avatar! Member fallen851's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bovi
    Unlike pretty much every other recent report, this one is not fixed by the new (old) broader rebellion CTD fix. It'll probably take some time to find its cause.

Just to clarify Tellos' last post, anyone is of course free to contribute to solving Gladiator7's problem... Such as by trying to kill off the Sauromatae stacks like Cato suggests .
    Does the broader rebellion CTD fix anything? It seems it just makes universal recruitment...
    "It's true that when it's looked at isolated, Rome II is a good game... but every time I sit down to play it, every battle, through every turn, I see how Rome I was better. Not unanimously, but ultimately." - Dr. Sane

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6eaBtzqqFA#t=1h15m33s

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fallen851
    Does the broader rebellion CTD fix anything? It seems it just makes universal recruitment...
    There were cases of holes in the fix. The broader fix ensures no holes. Other than that it is the same EDB (with the exception being the pontus temple moral bonus fix).