Thread: Map.rwm question

Asia ton Barbaron mapper Member Pharnakes's Avatar

Smile Map.rwm question

Hi, can anyone tell me if you were to put in a map.rwm form someonelses campaign wheter or not this would affect your campaign or would the game just overwite it?

Thanks
    Asia ton Barbaron The new eastern mod for eb!

Laziest member of the team My red balloons, as red as the blood of he who mentioned Galatians.
    Roma Victor!

Yous ee gishes?

Axebitten Modder Senior Member Dol Guldur's Avatar

Default Re: Map.rwm question

The map.rwm would be identical and would work in both if it were generated from identical files...is this what you mean? The map.rwm does not change as you play or save campaigns.
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."

I've found out that that actually doesnt need to be the case (although it often is..) ...

I can ... er .. better said; my game will (randomly) generate 2 diff. type of map.rwm files
    sometimes it generates a map.rwm file from a good 3mb, other times, using the "exact" same map it generates one from high 12mb into the 13mb
    looks and feels the same in-game but its surelly not the same file though both work identical to one an other ...

(the files will however always be of the same size with the same map, if the maps generated are like 3.5 and 13.2 mb than when you generate them again they will again be 3.5 or 13.2 mb ...)

G

I did not understand that Red, you seemed to have contradicted yourself but perhaps I read wrong.

call it poor english on my side ..;)

anyway to try and explain by example;

I'm currently making a big map, when I make it generate a new map.rwm file it often picks the side of being in the 3mb size
    but there are times it ends up being in the 12 to 13mb size

when I use the exact same map, without editing a single file in between, to generate an other map.rwm file it might end up being of the size it wasnt before (if it was 3mb it could become 12/13mb and vice versa)

it seems that the map more often generates a map.rwm file in the 3mb size, but generating a new one using the same map can just as well be 12/13mb

in their use there is no difference, a 3mb or 12/13mb size map.rwm file seem to both work just as well

When I first noticed a map of 13mb and a bit I though I recalled the vanilla map generated a 3.5mb and a bit map.rwm file, so I checked up on that and it did generate a 3mb-ish size map.rwm, didnt pay much attention to it as I figured my map is 4 times as big and the map.rwm my map generated was 4 times as big as well
    but at a later stage I noticed that my map had again generated a 3mb-ish size map.rwm

So I did a bit more testing to find out what I tried to explain above, somehow the map.rwm can pick 1 of 2 scales, 1 in the 3mb-ish size or it goes to the 12-13mb-ish size

I'll try and upload a pic. of my bin .. shows that there are at least 2 ranges ..

G
    Last edited by Red Spot; 05-08-2007 at 01:30.

I've never known a map.rwm to generate at a different size with the same files, maybe a little less if something is wrong with the files but only by a few kb.

the next bit will do my believeability(?) much good ... :P

seems I've got influenced results Dol Guldur, I've had some issues with my map and since I've been able to iron out those issues my map only generates a 12mb-ish map.rwm wich always seems to be the same size it was before if he map isnt tempered with in between

what I said about a map able to generate a map.rwm file in 2 ranges still stands, as I'm 100% sure my findings are correct, though I have to change my statement about them a bit to say it is something that will tell you your map has issues ....

I apologize for ..er .. my littering ...

G