Thread: San Jose/Bay Area

Default San Jose/Bay Area

Hi guys,

I just heard that Im going to be spending 4 months doing an internship in San Jose, California. Im really looking forward to it, cant wait infact, but I know next to nothing about the area. Do any of you know the area well? Im looking for info on accomodation (ive heard this is going to be expensive...), transportation, good places to eat/drink, general things to do or anything else that might help. Whats the "feel" of the area? Thanks in advance guys!
    Eppur si muove

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

Default Re: San Jose/Bay Area

I don't know if anyone here lives there. It should be fun though.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Cheers yeah, looks that way! Was worth a shot!
    Eppur si muove

This place called Mars... do you know of it?

I live in the Bay Area, about a 2-3 hour drive up the East Bay side in San Leandro. I only used to go there when the San Jose Earthquakes used to play there. I wish I knew more about San Jose, besides the fact it's one of the fastest growing cities in California. Obviously you should look around the downtown area for entertainment, and if BART runs through there you can take it all over the Bay Area. I know the San Jose Sharks are in the playoffs so you might want to try to get tickets(but they're probably hella expensive), but it'd be worth it! Here's a quick link to help you out:
    http://www.sanjoseca.gov/attract.html

BTW what kind of internship are you doing?
    "No one said it was gonna be easy! If it was, everyone would do it..that's who you know who really wants it."

All us men suffer in equal parts, it's our lot in life, and no man goes without a broken heart or a lost love. Like holding your dog as he takes his last breath and dies in your arms, it's a rite of passage. Unavoidable. And honestly, I can't imagine life without that depth of feeling.-Bierut

Jillian & Allison's Daddy Senior Member Don Corleone's Avatar

I've heard a lot of people compare Northern Californa, especially the greater Bay area, to Tuscany in terms of climate and appearance. I've not been to Tuscany, so I cannot confirm this assesment, but I have spent more than a few business trips in Silicon Valley. It's where my company headquarters are.

First, there is a light-rail train and an extensive bus service for getting around the area. There's also a train (the BayAreaRapidTransit) you can take to get up to San Francisco (40km) or Oakland (65km). You don't absolutely need a car, but it will make your life a lot easier. San Jose itself has a somewhat small downtown area and the rest of Silicon Valley sprawls.

That being said, the dining and bars in San Jose are actually quite good. There is a university there. There's a strong Asian influence (Indian/Pakastani as well as Chinese and Vietnamese) in addition to the contemporary American and Mexican influences.

I'm not too sure about the club scene (I'm married and have been since I started going 5 years ago) but I can vouch for the bar/pub scene. There's always a few good watering holes in downtown (I'm not sure if it's still in business but the Flying Pig was always one of my favorites).

There's lot of outdoors type activities (hiking, cycling, pick up games of soccer, football and softball). If you can get up into the mountains, there's some wilderness like terrain, but to get there you will most definitely need a car.

And if I have business taking me out there this summer, I'll give you a shout so we can enjoy a
    "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
    Don Vito Corleone: The Godfather, Part 1.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

This place called Mars... do you know of it?

I must warn you tho about using cars. Gas is a b*tch. Almost 4$'s! So BART to any distant spots in the Bay and then bus to travel around the local area. O yea, you really, must, and should have a look at San Fransisco's Pier 39 and the surrounding bay front, it is really cool. Also the Giants and A's are playing so if you feel like going to any Baseball games, you should go to them. Also Monterey is a very good place for a visit and check out its famous aquarium which is really cool and well worth the car ride. I think it has a golf course down there that is used for the PGA Tour, so if you like golfing you might want to check it out. There are some good beaches on the peninsula like Half Moon Bay which is really popular and also has a world famous big wave surfing spot.
    "No one said it was gonna be easy! If it was, everyone would do it..that's who you know who really wants it."

All us men suffer in equal parts, it's our lot in life, and no man goes without a broken heart or a lost love. Like holding your dog as he takes his last breath and dies in your arms, it's a rite of passage. Unavoidable. And honestly, I can't imagine life without that depth of feeling.-Bierut

Hey guys, sorry Im only replying now. I've been kept really busy with exams. Thanks for all the info! The internship I will be doing is with Cisco, really looking forward to it! :) The description of the climate sounds ideal, I dont like it when it gets too hot. Some of the people who I will be living with (there is a group of interns going over) have driving licenses so we're considering buying a bashed up old car. On a related point, how easy/difficult is it to pass a driving test over there? You guys mostly drive automatics right? Can I even do that on a student visa? How much is a beer in a pub/bar over there?

Definitely DC, if you're around, give us a shout and we can go for a pint or two!
    Eppur si muove

Quote Originally Posted by _Martyr_
    Hey guys, sorry Im only replying now. I've been kept really busy with exams. Thanks for all the info! The internship I will be doing is with Cisco, really looking forward to it! :) The description of the climate sounds ideal, I dont like it when it gets too hot. Some of the people who I will be living with (there is a group of interns going over) have driving licenses so we're considering buying a bashed up old car. On a related point, how easy/difficult is it to pass a driving test over there? You guys mostly drive automatics right? Can I even do that on a student visa? How much is a beer in a pub/bar over there?

Definitely DC, if you're around, give us a shout and we can go for a pint or two!
    I'm not from California, but I've obtained a driver's license in Michigan and Pennsylvania. In short, it's not very hard. If you know how to parallel park, you are fine. A lot of Americans drive automatics, but a lot also drive sticks. It just depends on what you want.

I'd assume, if you are here legally on a student visa, that you would be able to get a driver's license.

Not sure about beer in the pubs. I generally drink cheap crap that we get 21+ year olds to buy.