Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Summer Campaign-The Expanded Generals Version

Kanto Kanrei Member Marshal Murat's Avatar

Unhappy Summer Campaign-The Expanded Generals Version

I'm bringing out the new series here with the
    Summer Campaign

While it isn't summer yet, I'm thinking this won't be over until then.
    I'm going to have 5 brackets with generals in each. There will be repeats from the previous series.

Rules
    There will be a poll for each bracket.
    You can pick 4 generals in each poll, a different general for each duo. This rule is subject to adjustment if there is an alternative.
    You are picking the general based on his qualifications, that if you were to give command of your army to a general from history, this would be it. You would entrust the command of your army to this man. Simple as that.
    The poll will be open for 7 days after a 2 day lieu between the opening and closing of the polls.
    The rules are subject to adjustment, until the 30th, when the first polls will be opened.

Ancient Bracket
    Alexander the Great
    Hannibal Barca
    Julius Caesar
    Sulla
    Gaius Marius
    Pompey the Great
    Antiochus III
    Scipio Africanus
    Cyrus the Great
    Qin Shi Huang
    Chandragupta Maurya

Middle Ages Bracket
    Genghis Khan
    Jan Zizka
    Edward of Woodstock
    Saladin
    Richard the Lionheart
    Belisarius
    Khalid ibn al-Walid
    Subutai
    Frederick Barbarossa
    Vanislaw Jageillo
    Charles the Bold
    William the Conqueror.

Renaissance Bracket
    Gustavus Adolphus
    Tilly
    Wallenstein
    Jan Sobieski
    Stanislaw Zolkiewski
    Chodkiewicz
    Oda Nobunaga
    Totoyomi Hideyoshi
    Tokugawa Ieaysu
    Oliver Cromwell
    Spinola
    Maurice of Nassau
    Charles XII
    Piccolomini
    Turenne
    Duke of Marlborough
    Prince Eugene

Napoleonic Bracket
    Napoleon Bonaparte
    'Stonewall' Jackson
    Robert E. Lee
    Wellington
    Frederick the Great
    Maurice de Saxe
    George Washington
    Simon Bolivar
    Sherman
    Grant
    Kutuzov
    Suruvov

Modern Warfare Bracket
    Guderian
    Manstein
    Zhukov
    Rommel
    Patton
    Montgomery
    Slim
    MacArthur
    Hindenburg
    Ludendorff
    Vo Nguyen Giap
    Mao
    O'Connor

Naval Warfare Bracket
    Nelson
    Nimitz
    Yamamoto
    Togo
    Spruance
    Halsey
    Cunningham
    de Ruyter
    Jellicoe
    Beatty
    Scheer
    Yi Sun-Shin
    Don John of Austria
    Themosticles
    Drake
    Duncan
    Doenitz
    Jervis

Any more suggestions for the lists, name edits, or other, more specific brackets?
    Any suggestions will be evaluated and either accepted or thrown out.
    Open until the 30th.
    Good Luck, and may the best man win.

I hope to get as much participation as possible, and make this an enjoyable experience for all.

Requested Edits
    Renaming Renaissance to Early Modern
    New Additions:
    Ancient-
    Middle Ages-El Cid, Alfred the Great
    Renaissance-
    Napoleonic-
    Modern-
    Naval-
    Last edited by Marshal Murat; 05-02-2007 at 21:21.
    "Nietzsche is dead" - God

"I agree, although I support China I support anyone discovering things for Science and humanity." - lenin96

Re: Pursuit of happiness
    Have you just been dumped?

I ask because it's usually something like that which causes outbursts like this, needless to say I dissagree completely.

Default Re: Summer Campaign-The Expanded Generals Version

One of the more famous generals of the 18th century was Charles XII. Also you can't forget the master of Siege Vauban although he would be a hard to compare against a field commander. Perhasp Pershing for modern times.

Also you may want to consider a medevil bracket, or at least more midevil canidates such as Gangus Kahn, Salidan, Richard the Lion heart (my knowlege about the middle ages isn't the best. I'm sure their are patrons who can just rattle off names.
    When it occurs to a man that nature does not regard him as important and that she feels she would not maim the universe by disposing of him, he at first wishes to throw bricks at the temple, and he hates deeply the fact that there are no bricks and no temples
    -Stephen Crane

Yeah, a medieval bracket would be nice. Thus we could actually have such famous generals as Belisarius, Khalid ibn al-Walid, Subutai, Jan Zizka etc. Additionally you definately want to add Suvorov to the Napoleonic list.

For the naval warfare; both Mahan and Tirpitz don't belong there. Not sure if they commanded any battles all together. Instead you'd better bring in admirals like A.B. Cunningham, de Ruyter, Yamamoto, Togo etc.

As to Modern Era, it might be interesting to divide it in two between WWI and WWII.
    Friendship, Fun & Honour!

"The Prussian army always attacks."
    -Frederick the Great

Well I would like to make a change to the periods. Placing generals ahead of Napoleon himself in the Napoleonic bracket is just wrong. Napoleon set the standard for Napoleonic warfare. Marlbourough for instance should most certanly not be there and since you have included him you would have to include Charles XII.

Id rather see you took away "renaissance bracket" and replaced it with "Early modern bracket", approximatly from the end of the middleages until Napoleon.

Since im Swedish ill give you some must have Swedes in that bracket;

Gustatvus II of course (u allready have him)
    Charles X
    Charles XI (possibly but more of organiser then fieldcommander)
    Charles XII
    Johan Banér
    Lennart Torstensson
    Carl Gustaf Rehnshiöld

There are a few more but all of the above would be very competitive. There are also missing some from other countries but (Turenne for instance). ill let it rest here.

Kalle
    Playing computer strategy games of course, history, got a masters degree, outdoor living and nature, reading, movies wining and dining and much much more.

Professional Cynic Member Innocentius's Avatar

For the Early modern bracket, don't forget Matthias Gallas

Also, I insist you add a medieval bracket. There are plenty of famous medieval military commanders (Genghis Khan, Nur al-Din, Saladin, Richard Coeur de Lion, Charles the Bold, the Black Prince, Edward I, Betrand du Guesclin to name a few!) and they shouldn't be left out.
    It's not easy being a man, you know. I had to get dressed today... And there are other pressures.

- Dylan Moran

The Play

Quote Originally Posted by Kalle
    Charles X
    Charles XII
    Johan Banér
    Lennart Torstensson
    Carl Gustaf Rehnshiöld
    To not make the list all too long I suggest it's reduced to those three as they had the greatest impact. Gustav and Charles for their achievments and Torstensson for his development and creative use of artillery.

And Ottavio Piccolomini simply must be in the list!
    It's not easy being a man, you know. I had to get dressed today... And there are other pressures.

- Dylan Moran

The Play

Thread killer Member Rodion Romanovich's Avatar

Might as well add Spinola and Maurice of Nassau to Rennaissance, Kutuzov and Sherman to Napoleonic era, and O'Connor to modern generals.
    Last edited by Rodion Romanovich; 04-19-2007 at 19:03.
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

To not make the list all too long I suggest it's reduced to those three as they had the greatest impact. Gustav and Charles for their achievments and Torstensson for his development and creative use of artillery.
    I dont know really what you mean with achievement and impact but I dont think Charles X can be overlooked, (ask the Polish and Danes if he had an impact), neither do I know if Torstensson was a better commander then Baner and Rehnshiöld was the tutor of Charles XII and many think a better commander (planner of Narva and other battles, winner at Fraustadt, the Cannae of the Great Northern war) but I dunno, of course there gotta be some limits or a finer division of brackets.

Kalle
    Playing computer strategy games of course, history, got a masters degree, outdoor living and nature, reading, movies wining and dining and much much more.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalle
    Well I would like to make a change to the periods. Placing generals ahead of Napoleon himself in the Napoleonic bracket is just wrong. Napoleon set the standard for Napoleonic warfare. Marlbourough for instance should most certanly not be there and since you have included him you would have to include Charles XII.

Id rather see you took away "renaissance bracket" and replaced it with "Early modern bracket", approximatly from the end of the middleages until Napoleon.

Since im Swedish ill give you some must have Swedes in that bracket;

Charles X
    Charles XII
    Johan Banér
    Lennart Torstensson
    Carl Gustaf Rehnshiöld

There are a few more but all of the above would be very competitive. There are also missing some from other countries but (Turenne for instance). ill let it rest here.

Kalle
    set the standard? that is a matter of debate, he did end up a crippling failure.

Yes looks like you forgot about Medieval era.
    There should be some mongol generals, black prince, maybe Vladislav Jagiello, of course Zizka.
    John Thomas Gross - liar who want put on Poles responsibility for impassivity of American Jews during holocaust

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

I would like more variety. Current selection seems too much western.

Ancient era - Cyrus the Great

Renaissance Bracket - There should definately be some ottomans in there.
    Mehmed II and Suleyman I for example...

You seem to have too many Romans in the Ancient bracket. Might I suggest removing Marius and Sulla and replacing them with Cyrus the Great and Chandragupta Maurya?

Also, depending on whether you think the 500s to be ancient or medieval (perhaps a whole new 'Dark' Ages bracket), maybe Justinian I deserves a spot?
    Last edited by CaesarAugustus; 04-20-2007 at 00:56.

MARMOREAM•RELINQUO•QUAM•LATERICIAM•ACCEPI

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

For Naval, please consider:

Don John of Austria, Themosticles, Drake, Duncan, Doenitz, & Jervis.

For Moderns, please consider:

Bradley, Konev, Schwartzkopf, Rabin, Giap, Kitchener & Allenby.

For Ancients, please consider:

Cao Cao, Belisarius (I'd rate him too early for med), Fabius, Ramses

For Napoleonic, please consider:

Grant, Wolfe, Forrest, Gallieni, & Shaka

For Medieval, please consider:

El Cid, Alfred the Great, Brian Boroihme (Boru)
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

set the standard? that is a matter of debate, he did end up a crippling failure.
    Umm, I cant really see how his ending has anything to do with him setting the standard. Germans invented a "new" standard called blitzkrieg still they ended up also a crippling failure.

If Napoleon did not set the standard of Napoleonic warfare then who did? Why not call it something else then?

Kalle

Quote Originally Posted by Marshal Murat
    Charles the Bold
    That's what I wrote wasn't it?

The real name of the Black Prince is Edward of Woodstock, Prince of Wales. Also, I noted you removed Bertrand du Guesclin from the list, which I find unfair.

More medieval generals to be taken into consideration:

Alexander Nevskij, Ulrich von Jungingen (capability debatable) and Vytautas the Great.

Götz von Berlichingen is also an interesting person, although he'd fit in none of the available categories. Possible in the Renaissance Bracket, but since the Renaissance Bracket contains nothing but post-renaissance generals I don't know...

- Dylan Moran

The Play

This is a decision, not time to expand your sense of national pride with your hundred of generals (coughSwedescough), nor a time to showcase every, single, glorious leader.
    Well, you listed three Polish generals already from the beginning, each of them comparable to the Swedish generals that Kalle mentioned, while only Gustav Adolf made it from the Swedish side

- Dylan Moran

The Play

Well, you listed three Polish generals already from the beginning, each of them comparable to the Swedish generals that Kalle mentioned, while only Gustav Adolf made it from the Swedish side
    Agreed indeed, and not so few Japaneese were listed either I think...

All of those Swedes deserve a place in the correct bracket, national pride has little to do with it, I take not very much pride in people who caused so much pain wether they are Swedes or anything else but great generals they were, they were either the best or among the best when they were active. If you choose to give them a spot or not is up to you of course since its your topic.

In my first post I also give example of Turenne and say that more are missing clearly indicating Swedes are not all I think of.

So marshal Murat, perhaps you should take a closer look at Swedish history during early modern time and you will see it is not nationalistic pride to mention these generals among the best.

Kalle

I see also you have both Tilly and Wallenstein mentioned, arguing then that it would be wrong to include more swedish generals from 30-year war seems rather strange...
    Last edited by Kalle; 04-20-2007 at 17:02.

Ancient Bracket
    Alexander the Great
    Hannibal Barca
    Julius Caesar
    Sulla
    Gaius Marius
    Mithridates the Great
    Antiochus III
    Scipio Africanus
    Cyrus the Great
    Rather than Sulla or Marius, solidly competent but not exemplary, I'd say you'd be better off with Pyrhus, Aetius, and/or Belisarius. Qin Shi Huang, Sun Bin, Sun Wu (aka, Sun Tzu), Chandragupta Maurya, and/or Ashoka would break up the Mediterranean monopoly of the current list. In particular, Qin Shi Huang and Chandragupta Maurya, as actual empire builders, should be on the list ahead of talented wannabes like Mithradates.

Renaissance Bracket
    Gustavus Adolphus
    Tilly
    Wallenstein
    Jan Sobieski
    Stanislaw Zolkiewski
    Chodkiewicz
    Oda Nobunaga
    Totoyomi Hideyoshi
    Tokugawa Ieaysu
    Oliver Cromwell
    Maurice of Nassau
    Not sure if they belong here or in a Middle Ages bracket, but the Aztec emperors Itzcoatl, Moctezuma I, and Ahuitzotl deserve consideration, as does Pachacuti Inca Yupanqui of the Inca.

Napoleonic Bracket
    Napoleon Bonaparte
    'Stonewall' Jackson
    Robert E. Lee
    Wellington
    Frederick the Great
    Maurice de Saxe
    Duke of Marlborough
    Prince Eugene
    George Washington
    Benedict Arnold
    I think Louis Davout and/or Simon Bolivar are more deserving of a spot than Benedict Arnold, competent yet essentially insignificant.

Modern Warfare Bracket
    Guderian
    Manstein
    Zhukov
    Rommel
    Patton
    Montgomery
    Slim
    MacArthur
    Hindenburg
    Ludendorff
    von Runstedt (OK, enough of the Wehrmacht) and Koniev easily more deserving than Hindenburg who, with Ludendorff on the list, is redundant (and both Hindenburg and Ludendorff should perhaps make way for Max Hoffmann). For more modern representation, you should consider Vo Nguyen Giap.

Naval Warfare Bracket
    Nelson
    Nimitz
    Sun-Yi
    Jellicoe
    Beatty
    Scheer
    de Ruyter and Togo are musts here. Also, it should be Yi Sun-shin; Sun-Yi is Woody Allen's wife.

Whoops!

New Edit, generals have been added to the list, others taken away.

"I agree, although I support China I support anyone discovering things for Science and humanity." - lenin96

I ask because it's usually something like that which causes outbursts like this, needless to say I dissagree completely.

Requested Edits
    New Additions:
    Ancient-
    Middle Ages-Alexander Nevskij, Betrand du Guesclin
    Renaissance-
    Napoleonic-
    Modern-
    Naval-

Suggestions are still being taken.
    Thank you, and keep a keen eye to this leader as more men are suggested and removed from the list.
    Renaissance: to be renamed as what it really is (early modern).

- Dylan Moran

The Play

Ancient Bracket adds:
    Sun Tzu
    Zhuge Liang (Kongming)

Way too many good guys in ancient bracket lol.

my picks:

Ancient - Zhuge Liang. In fact I'd pick this guy thru all time periods.

Middle Ages - Subedei Bahadur. Modern military commander back in time.

Renaissance - Should Marlborough be in this bracket instead of Napoleonic? Anyhow, I pick Gustav Adolph from the selection available.

Napoleonic - a young Napoleon (the Italian campaign Napoleon). You can't go wrong picking the guy who the period is named after lol.

Modern Era - Rommel, more loyal than Manstein (if I'm gonna give this guy my army he had better be loyal correct?), and aggressive, did not see battles in linear fashion.

Kalle - polish commanders mentioned here were really highly skilled. Even into XVII century whole Europe agreed that they are one of the best commanders into history. They were crushing every enemies, Swedens too. Their biggest battles vs Swedens are Kokenhausen,White Stone, Rewel, Kircholm and Kluszyn (big number of swedish mercenaries).

Żolkiewski lost only one battle into his over 73-year life. His 6.000 soldiers were crushed by 60.000 Turks because of treason commited by nobles.
    Than man won several campaings vs Russia (Kluszyn - 5500 Poles vs 30000 Russians and 5000 Swedens), Tatars, Sweden (Rewel), Moldavia (Bukova) and polish rebels (Guzowo).

Chodkiewicz - into his over 81-years life he NEVER lost a battle.
    His most important victories were Swedens - Kokenhausen, Defense of Riga and reconquering Dorpat, White Stone [Biały Kamień] - (2.000 Poles vs 7.000) Swedens, Kircholm (4.000 Poles vs 14.000 Swedens).
    He won battle after his death - CHOCIM 1621 - 48.000 Poles and Cossacks held 120.000 Turks, killing 40.000 and defender Republic. After first assaults Turks had such a big loses that even Chodkiewicz name was lowering morale.

Sobieski - grandson of Żółkiewski. In my opinion not as good commander and Żółkiewski and Chodkiewicz, but his situation was much harder. I don't have to mention Vienna battle or Parkany.
    He won at Chocim into 1673.

So Kalle - don't tell me that these 3 guys did not deserved on place here.
    John Thomas Gross - liar who want put on Poles responsibility for impassivity of American Jews during holocaust

Krook, allthough I could say a lot to you I will only say this (most other things have allready been said in other threads); if you do not understand what I have written then ask before you jump to any conclusions. Where did I say those Polish commanders should not be on the list??

Maybe the marshal should cough a bit about Poles nationalism too?

Kalle

I agree with Kalle here. While we were accused for silly nationalism (a common misconception about Swedes I've learnt) there's plenty of Polish nationalism around...

Quote Originally Posted by KrooK
    Kalle - polish commanders mentioned here were really highly skilled. Even into XVII century whole Europe agreed that they are one of the best commanders into history.
    Please bring some evidence of all of Europe agreeing that Polish commanders in the 17th century were the greatest in history.

Żolkiewski lost only one battle into his over 73-year life. His 6.000 soldiers were crushed by 60.000 Turks because of treason commited by nobles.
    Are you talking about Tutora here? The battle where ~10 000 Poles stood against ~13 000 - 22 000 Turks? Not exactly 6 000 vs 60 000

Than man won several campaings vs Russia (Kluszyn - 5500 Poles vs 30000 Russians and 5000 Swedens), Tatars, Sweden (Rewel), Moldavia (Bukova) and polish rebels (Guzowo).
    Again, you're exaggerating the numerical superiority of the Russians. Not as much as above though.

Chodkiewicz - into his over 81-years life he NEVER lost a battle.
    I assume you're talking about Jan Karol Chokiewicz (the victor at Kircholm), a man who lived to be 61, not 81.

Kircholm (4.000 Poles vs 14.000 Swedens).
    You're exaggerating the numbers quite a lot here. The Swedes had about 12 000 men of which about half participated in the battle, the Poles on the other hand had less than 4 000 men, rather a bit less (3 800). Indeed it was a great victory, but it had no tactical consequences in the long run.

So Kalle - don't tell me that these 3 guys did not deserved on place here.
    He never did.
    Last edited by Innocentius; 04-21-2007 at 14:33.

- Dylan Moran

The Play

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MilesGregarius
    deserving than Hindenburg who, with Ludendorff on the list, is redundant (and both Hindenburg and Ludendorff should perhaps make way for Max Hoffmann).
    At least according to Hoffmann.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

You should consider having Charles XII and the duke of Marlbourough (unless you mean some other duke of Marlbourough then the one I think is famous) in the same bracket, afterall they were active at the same time and even met and spoke to eachother and it should definitly not be the Napoleonic bracket, they were active almost a century before Napoleon.
    Kalle

I think it might be worth it to place Helmuth von Moltke in the napoleonic section. As a strategist and organisator there are a few who can match him in my opinion.
    Friendship, Fun & Honour!

"The Prussian army always attacks."
    -Frederick the Great

Quote Originally Posted by AggonyDuck
    I think it might be worth it to place Helmuth von Moltke in the napoleonic section. As a strategist and organisator there are a few who can match him in my opinion.
    Well, I'll assume your referring to Sr. and not Jr.

Not sure if he's in Napoleonic for 1867 or if 1870/71 shoud put him in with the moderns -- but I agree he'd be a worthy addition.

Pre-1900 will be placed in Napoleonic

There are now 3 commanders mentioned from the loosing side in the 30-year war in the Early modern bracket in spite of them having the odds on their side and almost constantly being outwitted, outsmarted, outmanouvered and outblasted by the resourcelacking winning side

If you could give a reasonable explanation of including them (Wallenstein, Tilly and Piccolomini) and not Banér and Torstensson I would be surprised.

Not including Charles X in the same bracket is also beyond belief. Not only did he have supreme command of Swedish forces at the end of 30-year war, he also crippled Poland and made one of the most daring and surprising military manouvers in history when he forced the treaty of Roskilde on the Danes.

Kalle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast