Thread: Problems when exiting the game

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Default Problems when exiting the game

(Note to Sasaki: Feel free to move this thread to the Apothecary if you think it's appropriate. I just wanted to post here first since I figure the odds are better someone else has experienced this phenomenon.)

Okay, so Shogun seems to work just fine on my new computer. [*knocks on wood*] I haven't suffered any CTD's, music problems, issues with the Throne Room, etc. Everything seems to work just fine. (At least so far!)

Except.... Whenever I quit the game from the main menu, it always locks up on me. Sometimes I can get back out to my desktop by doing Ctrl+Alt+Del, but often times I have to shut down and restart my computer entirely. It doesn't seem to affect Shogun's performance or anything, but it sure is annoying.

So has anyone else had this problem? And if so, does anyone have an idea as to how to fix it (assuming it *can* be fixed, that is)?
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Default Re: Problems when exiting the game

Is there a way to quit without using the main menu that doesn't make you restart? alt+f4?

Hey, that seems to have done the trick. (I just to make sure I hit alt+f4 before I exit out of the game.) Thanks Sasaki!

Weird Organism Senior Member Drisos's Avatar

I have it too, most of the time. As you, it occured when I switched to a new computer.

I usually just CTRL+ALT+DEL to desktop, and exit Shogun from task manager. Or I forget it, and have to rest

- Chu - Gi - Makoto - Rei - Jin - Yu - Meiyo -

Hey Drisos! Haven't seen you in a little while.

My problem with CTRL+ALT+DEL is that it doesn't always work for me -- sometimes nothing happens at all when I use it. Sasaki's suggestion of using ALT+F4 seems to have solved this issue, however, so hopefully it will stop being a bother now.

Second-hand chariot salesman Senior Member macsen rufus's Avatar

Same problem here - and I always forget until it's too late. I find Alt-Ctrl-Del doesn't work, though, and I can only get out of the mess by hibernating my machine and restarting it. I think it's related to the graphics card - the one other problem I have is that Shogun won't work with any other battlescreen resolution but 600x800.

I shall try and remember the Alt F4 trick next time, thanks for the tip
    ANCIENT: TW

A mod for Medieval:TW (with VI)

Discussion forum thread

Download A Game of Thrones Mod v1.4

If CTRL+ALT+DEL isn't working, try setting your screen resolution and colour depth for the windows desktop to the same as in the game and use the same resolution in game for battles and the campaign map. Also try ALT+TAB, CTRL+ESC or the left or right windows keys and see if any of those work. I have this same problem myself with MTW, the lock up on exit, but for me CTRL+ALT+DEL does work. When I do CTRL+ALT+DEL the desktop appears with the task manager, though the display is 800*600 because this is the resolution of the menu system. When I end the task the desktop reverts back to 1024*768 which is the resolution I use with my modest CRT monitor.

If it still doesn't work then I'm not sure what you can do. I am 99% sure the problem is related to graphics card / graphics card drivers. It was when I bought a Radeon 9800 Pro from ebay to replace my Radeon 9000 Pro that the problem started. Prior to that I didn't have this problem at all. I have since had a new hard disk drive and reinstalled windows. The driver I installed was the Catalyst 4.8 driver, an old driver version, and I still have the problem. This seems to confirm that it is something to do with newer graphics cards. I've tried many different options to no avail.

It would be interesting if people would post their specs, that way we could analyse the data for commonality to better pinpoint what is causing this.

Well my monitor's native resolution is 1024 x 1260, but I'm not sure what I've got it set to in the game. Unfortunately, I can't check that at the moment as my new PC is down right now (I need to replace a bad power supply). I'll try and check that out once I'm back up and running, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Martok
    Well my monitor's native resolution is 1024 x 1260, but I'm not sure what I've got it set to in the game. Unfortunately, I can't check that at the moment as my new PC is down right now (I need to replace a bad power supply). I'll try and check that out once I'm back up and running, though.
    I'm sure that's not your monitor's native resolution as that would be portrait orientation. Perhaps you mean 1280x1024?

Which resolution were you using? Try using 1024*768, it may look uglier, especially on an LCD where it is not the native resolution, but it might work.

Bad luck with the power supply then?

Quote Originally Posted by Cambyses II
    I'm sure that's not your monitor's native resolution as that would be portrait orientation. Perhaps you mean 1280x1024?
    That's what I actually meant, yeah. (Excuse my dyslexic moment there.)

Which resolution were you using? Try using 1024*768, it may look uglier, especially on an LCD where it is not the native resolution, but it might work.
    I honestly can't remember what the in-game resolution is set at. I think I had it maxed out, but I can't say for certain.

Bad luck with the power supply then?
    I'm in the process of returning it so I can get it exchanged for a new one. Probably going to be at least a couple weeks before I get the replacement, however.

I honestly can't remember what the in-game resolution is set at. I think I had it maxed out, but I can't say for certain.
    Setting all resolutions to the native resolution might do it - well it'll rule out the resolution being the problem anyway.
    I'm in the process of returning it so I can get it exchanged for a new one. Probably going to be at least a couple weeks before I get the replacement, however.
    You didn't flick the red voltage switch on the back of the PSU did you?

You didn't flick the red voltage switch on the back of the PSU did you?
    I'm afraid not -- would that it had been that simple! I was in the middle of playing a game when everything just suddenly shut down.

I'm afraid not -- would that it had been that simple! I was in the middle of playing a game when everything just suddenly shut down.
    Flicking that switch blows up your PSU, so I'd avoid it. It may not be present on your PSU anyway as they're not always on the newer ones, and it could be covered over.

I've never heard of a PSU dying like that before though.

I stole it from a stupid Iceni Member Shieldmaiden's Avatar

I've had this exact problem with MTW freezing my PC on exiting - changing Desktop colour depth to 16-bit worked for me, bearing in mind my Desktop and MTW were identical (1024x768) eesolution too.
    Last edited by Shieldmaiden; 05-21-2007 at 23:08.
    "Now, once more I must ride with my knights, to defend what was and the dream of what could be..."

- King Arthur, Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Shieldmaiden
    I've had this exact problem with MTW freezing my PC on exiting - changing Desktop colour depth to 16-bit worked for me, bearing in mind my Desktop and MTW were identical (1024x768) eesolution too.
    It's good to hear some more confirmation that this does indeed work in certain cases.

Weird Organism Senior Member Drisos's Avatar

Hey Martok,

Really busy in real-life, but I'll keep trying to visit now and then. The game and the community have a permanent place in my heart.
    - Chu - Gi - Makoto - Rei - Jin - Yu - Meiyo -

Hey Drisos! Good to see you're still around, man.

Don't worry about the real-life thing; I understand all too well, believe me.