Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Magna Carta

Default Magna Carta

This is the out of character thread for the MTW2 English PBM, “Magna Carta”, the brother of “King of the Romans PBM”. This first post will outline current players and rules.

We’ll have a brief period to receive more sign-ups and finalise what mods we will use. Since the 1.2 patch is out, no major mods are necessary, however, if there are any that people are particularly interested in we can work something out. Please post any comments or rule changes before 6pm Friday AEST(Australian Eastern Standard Time).

I’m assigning initial avatars based on previous PBM experience, and those who haven’t had as much of a go in King of the Romans.

Other players can still participate fully as unnamed barons. They will be assigned avatars in due course by me based on their level of activity in the King of the Romans thread; the time they sign up for this PBM (post in this thread) and especially how active they are in voting and speaking as a (nameless) baron in the Parliament Deliberations. Eventually, every player will get an avatar, although there will be a wait at the beginning.

*****************************FAQ ****************************************

Players and avatars

See:

Other players please sign up and declare which family - Rufus, Curthose, or Beauclerc - you want to be a baron of. Note Henry has not yet come of age. You will be named Baron of X etc in the order in which you sign up in this thread. The three families will be equally privileged to start with, so please do not all sign up for the same family. If the computer spawns many more avatars in a particular family, I may reassign players to family to avoid them waiting too long (subject to their consent).

Where to post:

All out of character discussion in this thread.

When the game starts, I will create more threads, so that:
    All in character discussion in the Parliament deliberations thread.
    All in character stories in the stories thread.
    Kingdom records in the Kingdom reports thread.
    All battle reports in the Battle reports thread.

RULES

How to play – in brief

All players are “barons”. Unlike KotR, they are not affiliated with any particular House, unless they especially choose to associate with a Count or Duke. Eventually all players will be represented by an in-game character or avatar who will represent them.(This may take a while, as experienced in KotR)

The King(The actual in-game faction leader) will play the game(like the Chancellor in KotR). However, the King and the Prince will not get the lion's share of the fun.

Collectively, the barons form the Parliament. This has two functions - to set tax rates in cities and to declare war. The King will be the “reigning player” and play the game. He will move all loyal generals, authorise any buildings and train any units/agents in crown lands.

The King can grant crown lands to a baron, thus promoting him to a Count. Counts will be alloted a set ammount of florins to spend from the treasury each turn. Counts can decide what to build and what soldiers to recruit from their settlements from their available funds.

The King can promote a Count to a Duke by granting him more than one crown province. Dukes, along with Bishops(Priests that have the "Bishop" trait) collectively form the House of Lords. They vote on all business passed by the Commons(The barons). Dukes have the added privilege of attending the King's Privvy Council, and advising the King.

If a Count or Duke feels disloyal to the King(whether due to disagreement to his management, fear of tyranny, discontentment, or ambition), he can raise his standard and revolt against the Crown. He then leads his settlement(s) into rebellion with him, as well as his retainers and garrisons.

Battles between disloyal and loyal generals will be fought out via multiplayer. The armies will be as close as possible to the armies on the campaign map, and the battlemap will be as close to the terrain of the location of the battle.
    Once the battle is fought, the losses will be disbanded as close as possible from the corresponding armies on the campaign map, and the loser shall retreat a short distance if possible. If a general dies in the battle, his avatar shall be killed by the console command.

Disloyal generals can throw themselves at the King's mercy, and shall deicide whether the Parliament or himself will decide their fate.

Game settings

*Patched MT2TW
    *Hard campaigns, very hard battles.
    *Large unit size.
    *Battle timer on. Show CPU Moves, Manage all Settlements
    Standard victory conditions (45 provinces, including Jerusalem).

The only mod we will use initially is Medifix 1.2:

http://files.filefront.com//;6476123;;/

This fixes vices and virtues, as explained here:

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showpo...37&postcount=1

Hard restrictions on play: * only two land units (including a general) may travel on each ship.

How to play - detailed rules

1. The role of players.

*1.1 Each player will roleplay a “baron” of the England. There are no defined “Houses” as such, but “houses” may form out of collections of barons Players are born into a noble family. It is in their blood and cannot be changed. It is determined by which of the four lines on the family tree their avatar falls under (except for the three starter Generals, for whom it is determined by their initial geography). [Note - if avatars spawn disproportionately in certain Houses, Electors of one House may be offered an avatar of another, but then they effectively role-play a new character.]
    1.2 Over time, all players will be assigned an avatar (typically a general) by Ignoramus to represent them. They should roleplay their traits.
    1.3 Players whose avatars lead in a battle will be expected to fight that battle. This will involve downloading the savegame of the battle, playing it and then uploading the resulting savegame. Uploading the post-battle save must be done within 24 hours of the pre-battle savegame being uploaded. If the deadline expires, the battle is autoresolved.
    1.4 Players whose avatars are counts or dukes receive 600 florins per turn for unit recruitment and building construction.
    *1.5 Players whose avatars are counts or dukes are entitled to set the unit and build queues of their settlement(s).
    1.6 Each baron will periodically vote in Parliaments the taxes granted to the King. They will also vote on declarations of war.
    1.7 Players are encouraged to write in-character stories in the stories thread; to discuss matters of state in the Parliament deliberations thread; to write-up battle reports; to PM each other in character for role-playing etc. [Note: when posting screenshots, we could keep them full size but put them under spoiler tags.]

2. The role of the King.

*2.1 The King will be the “reigning player” and play the game. He will move all loyal generals, authorise any buildings and train any units/agents in crown lands.

2.2 However, he delegates battles to the player whose general leads the English force. And he follows the build queues and unit queues of counts and dukes.

2.3 He also must obey Parliament and the constitution (these rules) or face political consequences.

*2.4 The player whose avatar is the “in-game king” is the King. He rules until his death.
    *2.5 The King grants crown lands to generals creating them Counts or Dukes.

3. The role of the Parliament

3.1. The Parliament will meet at the will of the King. Out of session, there can be open debate and deliberations. Each session lasts 3 days of real time.

3.2 The Parliament is divided into two houses – the House of Commons and the House of Lords.

3.3. At each session, nobles can present petitions. These require two seconders to be put to the vote. Petitions are requests made to the King to what he should do. Failing to follow these petitions could result in resentment by the barons

3.4. Any declaration of war must be authorised by Parliament. The King or any Duke is empowered to declare war on a non-allied army entering its lands.

*3.5. The rules of the game can be changed by a Noble Charter Amendments (2/3 majority required) except those marked with a *. They only come into force with the approval of the King.

3.6. Tied petitions fail. If contradictory petitions are passed, the one with the most votes takes priority.

3.7. Petitions can last until the next Parliament.

*3.9. The Parliament tries those guilty of treason who have appealed to its judgement.

3.10. The Parliament is presided over by the character controlling the King. His rulings are final. The Prince can preside in the absence of the King. The King can call a session of the Parliament - freeze the game - at will.

*3.11 Influential players get bonus votes. (maximum +5 bonus).

civil influence
    +1 if player is a Count of a settlement
    +2 if player is a Duke of a settlement
    +3 if player is the Prince
    military influence - cumulative
    +1 if player has over 5 command
    +1 if player has won more than 3 heroic victories.
    titular influence – cumulative
    +1 for each office held.
    The player who is Emperor gets bonus votes differently, being equal to his authority.

4. The role of the four families - Dukes and Counts

4.1 There will be four families representing the four main branches of the family tree: Rufus, Curthose, Beauclerc, or (Cecilia’s husband’s).

4.2 All lands at the start of the game are crown lands. Lands conquered by Royal Armies and Counts belong to the crown; lands conquered by Dukes are added to their ducal demesne.

4.3 Dukes can then grant a settlement to a player, making him Count of that settlement. The settlements remain nominally within the relevant Duchy. There are no Counts at the start of the game.

4.4 Counts who are not the natural sons of a Duke (e.g. adoptees and sons in law) may be lose their titles at the whim of the Duke. They are referred to as bonded Counts and are expected to act according to the wishes of their Duke. Natural sons of a Duke may not lose their settlements - they are referred to as freehold Counts. Counts stripped of their title by Dukes may appeal to the King.

4.5 Dukes and Counts should name a successor, who will take over their titles and settlements when they die. If no successor is named, the oldest natural son inherits, (if none, oldest adopted son; if none again, then the oldest son-in-law).

5 The role of the King and Prince

5.1 The King presides over the Parliament as in 3.9. He is the sovereign of England. He will keep order in Parliament and try to make things run smoothly.

5.2 Once in his reign, typically when crowned, the Emperor can automatically assume the post of Chancellor.

5.3 The King can allocate crown lands to barons, counts or Dukes..

5.4 The King adjudicates on rules disputes.

5.5 The Prince succeeds the King and can deputise in his absence.

5.6 Kings do belong to families - if crowned, their lands are added to the Royal demesne. They are expected to act for the good of England and be impartial, above petty regional politics.

5.7 The King decides which player-controlled avatar, if any, a Princess should marry.

5.8 The King decides who the Prince shall marry.

5.9 The King decides the fate of traitors who throw themselves at his mercy.

6. The role of posts - military commanders and governors

*6.1 The King may grant one of these titles to loyal barons of the crown: Lord Great Chamberlain, Lord Privy Seal, Lord High Constable, Lord High Admiral, Lord High Steward, Lord High Chancellor, Lord High Treasurer, and Lord President of the Council.

*6.2 Armies may only be led by the King, Prince, Dukes, or Counts.

7. Crusades and missions.

7.1 The King must endeavour to follow missions from the Pope and Council of Nobles, unless exempted by the Parliament. Missions from guilds and foreign powers are optional.

7.2 Crusades must be authorised by the King, unless announced by another faction.

7.3 When a crusade is called, if the King desires to go on Crusade, he can ask all generals if they wish to join. He must include at least one volunteer who replies within 48 hours. If there are more than one, he may pick at his discretion. The noble will take as many of his retainers as wishes on Crusade. If the King does not desire to go on Crusade, other nobles may take the Cross, with or without the King’s blessing.
    8. Historical armies

The following rules apply for field armies of 15+ or more units.

Generals - max 2 units
    Knights - cavalry or foot, max 7 units inc. generals
    [The class of knights is therefore: Dismtd Feudal knights; Dismtd Imperial knights; Dismtd Gothic knights; Mailed knights; Feudal knights; Imperial knights; Teutonic knights; General’s bodyguard; Gothic knights; plus any mercenary knights included those great dismounted knights you get in the Holy Land.)

Total cavalry - maximum 7 units, inc mounted knights and generals
    [Non-knightly cavalry includes: Mounted crossbowmen ; Reiters; Merchant cavalry; Hobilars]

Artillery - maximum 2 units (5 in a siege - if caught in a field battle immediately withdraw excess of over two)
    Foot missiles - maximum 7 units including artillery
    [Foot missiles include: Peasant archers; Archer militia; Longbowmen; Yeomen Archers; Retinue Longbowmen; Arquebusiers; Handgunners ]

Total elite heavy infantry - max 6
    [Elite infantry comprises Zweihander; Forlorn Hope; Landsknechts; dismounted knights and equivalent mercs - e.g. Galllowglass?]

Other spears & feudal foot - unlimited
    [This includes: Peasants; Town militia; Bill militia; Spear militia; Sergeant spearmen; Armoured spearmen; Crusader sergeants; Billmen; Heavy Bill militia]

For armies of size 7-14, the above limits are halved.

No more than half an army can be mercenary. Crusader mercenaries (crusader sergeants, crusader knights, pilgrims, fanatics) can count as natives.

What is everyone's opinion?

Players:
    Ignoramus
    Warluster
    Cecil XIX
    Ichigo
    gibsonsg91921
    Last edited by Ignoramus; 06-15-2007 at 08:12.

Ekklesia Mafia: - An exciting new mafia game set in ancient Athens - Sign up NOW!
    "Oh, how I wish we could have just one Diet session where the Austrians didn't spend the entire time complaining about something." Fredericus von Hamburg

Master Procrastinator Member TevashSzat's Avatar

Default Re: Magna Carta

The idea is good, but it may be hard coordinating the multiplayer battles due to that everyone is on different time zones and that some people either have dial up or can't get onto multiplayer.
    "I do not know what I may appear to the world; but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me." - Issac Newton

I know, and that would be the greatest challenge. However, I still think it can be managed, although, I grant it wouldn't be easy.

Ekklesia Mafia: - An exciting new mafia game set in ancient Athens - Sign up NOW!
    "Oh, how I wish we could have just one Diet session where the Austrians didn't spend the entire time complaining about something." Fredericus von Hamburg

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

I think the basic idea is sound. It would definitely be slower, but doable. However, I think this part is problematic:

Quote Originally Posted by Ignoramus
    The King can grant crown lands to a baron, thus promoting him to a Count. Counts will be alloted a set ammount of florins to spend from the treasury each turn. Counts can decide what to build and what soldiers to recruit from their settlements from their available funds.
    This encounters the same problem that we did in the HRE Test game and which TROG is skirting around: keeping track of florin expenditure for each individual territory. This becomes a major pain in the ass and I don't think it's really possible to run a game like this. It's a great idea, but the game isn't designed to handle it and as a result it requires way too much number crunching every turn.

I was thinking that they could be given a set ammount each turn. (For example: Let's say they are given 500 florins. That means that over 10 turns they are allowed to build buildings and hire soldiers up to a total of 5000 florins.)

It may be too problematic, but something like this has to be put in place. Otherwise, the King is in effect paying for his enemies' forces.

Any suggestions of yours, TinCow, or indeed, any previous PMBer would be most welcome.

I think a better option would be to forget about trying to do a normal PBM with the ability to battle other players and instead come up with a workable system for a true multiplayer game. Off the top of my head, the best solution to that would be something like a hybrid between Risk and MTW, using M2TW to run the battles. Have each player be one faction, and they give orders each turn for their various lands. This 'campaign' level of the game is played totally without any TW game. We simply use a map that represents the in-game territories and work from there. We develop a system that allows for construction queues, army recruitment, etc. Players can ally and betray each other at will for whatever reasons they want. When a battle occurs, it is fought using M2TW multiplayer.

An experimental system for construction and finance modelling could be as follows:
    All useful buildings will be given a set price and set benefit for constructing them. For most, this could be as it is in-game: for instance, building a stables can cost whatever it does in-game and it gives the ability to recruit whatever units it allows in-game. For some, especially financial buildings, it might be better to alter them a bit for simplicity. For example, a market could cost whatever it does in-game, but instead of boosting trade in whatever manner it does in-game, we simply say that a market will increase the income of that territory by +100 florins per turn.

I would say ignore religious buildings, all agents, all unhappiness, etc. and keep it to a simple build-and-conquer style game. We would have to do our best to make the rules as simple as possible to keep it from being tediously slow and unplayable.

I think that's too complicated. Besides, it is much more fun doing this all in a MTW2 campaign.

I hope that enough people are interested.

Right, I'll be signing up players. The initial avatars will be handed out based on previous PBM experience and sign-up times.

The game won't start until 1.2 has been released.

Surely there are some KotR players out there who are willing to give this a go?

Still warlusting... Member Warluster's Avatar

I will sign up.

The Count of Bohemia Senior Member Cecil XIX's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Having missed out on the KotR trial, I would dearly love to give this a try. Full autonomy for the players, no matter how awkward it is to implement, is something I have to try for myself.
    Last edited by Cecil XIX; 06-17-2007 at 06:28.

Welcome aboard, Cecil XIX!

We could start it now, but I'd prefer to wait until we get one or two more people, especially seeing that Henry will come of age very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ignoramus
    We could start it now, but I'd prefer to wait until we get one or two more people, especially seeing that Henry will come of age very soon.
    Wait a bit longer. I have included an notice saying this PBM needs players in the Throne Room article of the next Gahzette. I expect it will be out this weekend or early next week, so you may get one or two more people from that.

Sadly, it appears that no one has noticed or is interested. Well, I suppose we could start, but it will be a very sorry game with only 3 players.

Once again, if any of the KoTR players wish to join as full playing or non playing barons, please do.

Blog Entries

I'm with ya, Ignoramus. I'm sure it will pick up speed once we get going.

Ok, I'll just codify the rules first(like the "Constitution of KoTR")

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

Could I join?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

Peter von Kastilien - RIP Member gibsonsg91921's Avatar

ill join, but how do u know how much each duke can spend on his armies?
    The late Emperor Peter von Kastilien the Tyrant, Lamm der Wahrheit.

Join Capo de Tutti Capi II! It's totally amazing!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonsg91921
    ill join, but how do u know how much each duke can spend on his armies?
    From what I read of the KotR trial, each lord could spend as much money as was being made by his provinces, minus tribute to the sovereign. But that was very time-consuming and difficult to implement. I think he's considering a simple flat fee.

Yes, both of you can join. I'll expect full participation for avatars.

Each count and duke will have a flat fee.

Right, the rules are codified. Declare which family you wish to join.

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

Do we need to do the Medifix? Or are we just using the 1.2 patch? Cause I'm confused.

Still warlusting... Member Warluster's Avatar

I will join the Rufus Family please.

Oh and Beauclerc for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichigo
    Do we need to do the Medifix? Or are we just using the 1.2 patch? Cause I'm confused.
    We'll actually use FactionHeir's KOTRfix as well as the 1.2 patch.

Where do I find that?

It's in his signature.

Should probably add that to the first post.

When do we begin?

Well, I was going to ask Cecil _XIX to be William the Conqueror, so if he's ready and willing, Parliament will open by next week.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast