Thread: Absinthe

Default Absinthe

So, I've heard many mixed things about the alcoholic drink, absinthe. Some tell me it makes you hallucinate, while others simply say it will get you drunk with other mild effects. I'm curious to know if anyone has tried it and how their drinking experience turned out?

I've also seen many different types of the stuff and was curious to know what's different about each one. Thanks.

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

Default Re: Absinthe

Sounds like a research experiment for the Euro trip is in progress .
    That's one poison I never tried, it's been outlawed in the States a long time. I believe there was a History or Discovery Channel program on it not long ago.
    Unfortunately, I can't recall much useful info, I was umm...very drunk at the time. I do remember they featured a guy who was reverse engineering the chemical composition of some old classic samples, in France I believe, and has started to manufacture his own.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

Member Member Beren Son Of Barahi's Avatar

im not really sure what happened to me when i was drinking it, as i was drinking Absinthe and tequila shots one after the other...it depends on where you get it as well, IMHO france has the best absinthe, that stuff did the job. i did space out a little...

here is a story i saw on tucker max... very funny indeed.
    [While this is a hysterically funny story, I feel regretfully that it may not be Frontroom material~BKS]
    Last edited by Big King Sanctaphrax; 05-01-2007 at 00:54.
    The true test of a man is not at his great moment, but at his weakest point. -me

Medical Welshman in London. Senior Member Big King Sanctaphrax's Avatar
    Cardiff in the summer, London during term time.

I believe the psychotropic effects were mostly dreamed up by temperance activists back in the 20s. It's perfectly safe, although it will get you absolutely ratted and give you a horrible hangover, in my experience. I've never liked it much, too aniseedy for my taste. The bit with the sugar cube on the slatted spoon is cool, mind.

I can't tell you too much about the different brands/varieties, I'm afraid. I've only ever sampled a few bottles that a friend brought back with him from Czech Rep., and the name of the distillery escapes me at the moment. Just give it a go and see if you like it.
    Co-Lord of BKS and Beirut's Kingdom of Peace and Love.

"Handsome features, rugged exteriors, intellectual chick magnets, we're pretty much twins."-Beirut

"Rhy, where's your helicopter now? Where's your ******* helicopter now?"-Mephistopheles.

Nec Pluribus Impar Member SwordsMaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It'll get you plastered alright. The strongest I've tried was 80%. Which was pretty strong. You can't drink shots of absinthe all night if that is your question, but it has no secondary effects - just like any other alcohol.

Just don't plan on operating heavy machinery next morning...
    Managing perceptions goes hand in hand with managing expectations - Masamune

Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

I thought the hallucination myth came from the fact that it was popular among artists.

No special effects, sorry to dissapoint you.

Apparently it did used to be dangerous, thanks to one of the chemicals used in its manufacture being, for lack of a better word, a poison

As for how it is today, though, to me it tastes bloody awful (very strong, as you'd expect, but lacking in any flavour at all), but I get the impression that after the first shot it'll all start tasting lovely
    From wise men, O Lord, protect us -anon
    The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of millions, a statistic -Stalin
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

Every alcoholic drink is dangerous as long as you drink enough of it, if you take only 1 glass you won't feel a thing ... unless you're weak when talking about alcohol.

Yeh, I understand that, but absinthe was actually dangerous above and beyond the massive alcohol content
    From wise men, O Lord, protect us -anon
    The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of millions, a statistic -Stalin
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

A very good site with an excellent FAQ on absinthe:

http://www.feeverte.net/faq-absinthe.html#B

It has answers to the common myths about absinthe, ie. the hallucinations, why it's banned, how dangerous it is, etc.

Absinthe is one of my favourite drinks, along with the Islay scotches. I LOVE the anis taste, to me, it goes down just as fast as milk. It's usually 80% though, to some people, that's a bit to strong. If you feel it's too strong for you, simply water it down a little, or get one of the softer ones, usually 55%, but I've seen some at 40%. It doesn't get you "high", but I've found it makes you drunk in a different way to other drinks. Kind of a like combining the happiness of wine and the coolness of scotch. Oh, and almost every time I've woke up at a place I don't know with no memory how I got there...

A piece of advice though: don't drink if you hope to get lucky that night.... It won't happen.
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Quote Originally Posted by SwordsMaster
    It'll get you plastered alright. The strongest I've tried was 80%. Which was pretty strong. You can't drink shots of absinthe all night if that is your question, but it has no secondary effects - just like any other alcohol.

Just don't plan on operating heavy machinery next morning...
    Nuts. Damn those myths!

Very Senior Member Gawain of Orkeny's Avatar

When I was staioned in Japan in 1971 we all drank that stuff in the local bars. In fact it was how we would initiate the noobs their first night out on the town They never knew what hit them
    Fighting for Truth , Justice and the American way

Amphibious Trebuchet Salesman Member Whacker's Avatar

The chemical in question that reportedly causes the psychoactive effects is called Thujone. It's still debated right now, whether or not Thujone in sufficient concentrations can produce the "high" effects. Chemically Thujone is similar to THC, which is the element in weed that creates the "high".

I drank absinthe once in europe, it was about 80% alcohol, unknown thujone content, and I didn't get a "high" feeling. Got pretty drunk, but not "high".

"Justice is the firm and continuous desire to render to everyone
    that which is his due."
    - Justinian I

Medical Welshman in London. Senior Member Big King Sanctaphrax's Avatar
    Cardiff in the summer, London during term time.

The amount of thujone is modern Absinthe is miniscule in any case.
    Last edited by Big King Sanctaphrax; 05-01-2007 at 22:18.
    Co-Lord of BKS and Beirut's Kingdom of Peace and Love.

"Handsome features, rugged exteriors, intellectual chick magnets, we're pretty much twins."-Beirut

"Rhy, where's your helicopter now? Where's your ******* helicopter now?"-Mephistopheles.

Standing Up For Rationality Senior Member Ronin's Avatar

modern absinthe is just alcohol....and it is sold over here....I don´t drink personally but friends of mine that have had the stuff describe it as nothing more than a pretty stiff drink.

in the old days apparently it did have hallucinogenic substances in it.....need proof? read some of Fernando Pessoa´s poetry the guy used to get plastered on the stuff for what is known.
    "If given the choice to be the shepherd or the sheep... be the wolf"
    -Josh Homme
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!"
    - Calvin

Vermonter and Seperatist Member Uesugi Kenshin's Avatar

Here in Germany I've only seen it in 66% or 80% but I've never tried it. I'm fairly sure I wouldn't touch the 80% alcohol version though. For me the 62% alcohol whiskey we drank one night was strong enough.
    "A man's dying is more his survivor's affair than his own."
    C.S. Lewis

"So many people tiptoe through life, so carefully, to arrive, safely, at death."
    Jermaine Evans

Lesbian Rebel Member Mikeus Caesar's Avatar

I once drank the 80% kind of absinthe.

Let's just say i couldn't remember much the next morning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranika
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

drank that too... its tastes like liquer... the candy one... drop in dutch... but anyways i thought it was disgusting... but my friend liked it and drank a bottle of it... a small one... she woke up in the middle of the night and claimed she heard churchbells ringing... and i was like... churchbells? in the middle of ****** Athens? I hear cars and other stuff... but Bells?

We do not sow.

Second-hand chariot salesman Senior Member macsen rufus's Avatar

It was outlawed for a very long while in most of Europe, and traditionally had a mix of herbs thrown in, including wormwood which I believe was the source of the thujone. Modern absinthe has little of the added stuff, but is a very potent spirit nonetheless. Very weird drink, the alcohol content is so high it tends to evaporate in your mouth before you can swallow it, and it gives a very strange sensation of warmth Czech and French absinthes are the two main varieties available, and I believe it's been re-legalised in the UK (so long as it doesn't have all the herby bits in it). Definitely worth trying, but don't faff around with the half-assed low alcohol varieties

A piece of advice though: don't drink if you hope to get lucky that night.... It won't happen.
    Funny, I heard that "Absinthe makes the parts grow stronger"
    ANCIENT: TW

A mod for Medieval:TW (with VI)

Discussion forum thread

Download A Game of Thrones Mod v1.4

Quote Originally Posted by macsen rufus

Yeah maybe stronger willed due to the lack of sex.

Quote Originally Posted by macsen rufus
    Might be true, but you're unlikely to impress any girls when you're rolling around in a ditch screaming about how large your penis is....
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban