Poll: Renaissance Generals Bracket

Thread: Summer Campaign-Renaissance Bracket

Kanto Kanrei Member Marshal Murat's Avatar

Default Summer Campaign-Renaissance Bracket

The Renaissance Bracket is here with your suggested Generals.

Rules
    There are 16 generals to be offered.
    You vote for eight to continue on.
    I am trusting that you will honor this system of voting for eight.
    Choose your favorites.
    This poll will be open for 7 days.
    (Sorry, not locked for 7 days. Could a moderator wave his magic mouse and make this better?)
    Last edited by Marshal Murat; 05-01-2007 at 02:59.
    "Nietzsche is dead" - God

"I agree, although I support China I support anyone discovering things for Science and humanity." - lenin96

Re: Pursuit of happiness
    Have you just been dumped?

I ask because it's usually something like that which causes outbursts like this, needless to say I dissagree completely.

Default Re: Summer Campaign-Renaissance Bracket

Where is Charles V?

He was by far the most successful Renaissance General - look at his Empire when he died.
    I support Israel

Quote Originally Posted by Lorenzo_H
    Where is Charles V?
    Does a king count as general?

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Bringing down the vulgaroisie Member King Henry V's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lorenzo_H
    Where is Charles V?

He was by far the most successful Renaissance General - look at his Empire when he died.
    His empire was mostly the results of his grandfather's political machinations in arranging so many marriages which resulted in the fabulous inheritance of Charles.
    www.thechap.net
    "We were not born into this world to be happy, but to do our duty." Bismarck
    "You can't be a successful Dictator and design women's underclothing. One or the other. Not both." The Right Hon. Bertram Wilberforce Wooster
    "Man, being reasonable, must get drunk; the best of life is but intoxication" - Lord Byron
    "Where men are forbidden to honour a king they honour millionaires, athletes, or film-stars instead: even famous prostitutes or gangsters. For spiritual nature, like bodily nature, will be served; deny it food and it will gobble poison." - C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Husar
    Does a king count as general?
    He stood in as a General as well as the leader of a nation.
    I support Israel

Going to the land where men walk without footprints.

Quote Originally Posted by King Henry V
    His empire was mostly the results of his grandfather's political machinations in arranging so many marriages which resulted in the fabulous inheritance of Charles.
    That said, he didn't lose his empire to his enemies like France or the Ottomans. He fought many campaigns (they drained his treasury), was often victorious, but never managed defeat his opponents crushingly.

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well, no big shocker here. Gustavus and Oda are one-two, as they were in my list. However, I had Oda just ahead of Gustavus.

And it just figures, the only one poll I managed to get a vote in on is the one my history is worst on(with the exception of Gustavus and the Japanese, I simply didn't know enough about the other generals)
    Last edited by seireikhaan; 05-15-2007 at 14:16.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Crusading historian Member cegorach's Avatar

OK I took my eight.
    Primary choices would be Sobieski (for fluid, aggressive warfare in any place) and Wallenstein for more methodical, slower approach.

What I cannot understand is why Zolkiewski is rated higher here than Chodkiewicz ? OK. Zolkiewski took Moscow defeating 6-7 times larger army before, but Chodkiewicz was probably (at least I don't remember it happening) NEVER defeated which cannot be said even about Sobieski who lost two battles from 40 or so he fought.
    Chodkiewicz even won a NAVAL battle with improvised fleet he put together in few days - that cannot be said about too many land commanders after all.
    Last edited by cegorach; 05-17-2007 at 08:09.