Thread: Faction Thread 1: Tomb Kings

Annoying Warhammer know-it-all Member DrZoidberg's Avatar

Default Re: Faction Thread 1: Tomb Kings

Quote Originally Posted by Casuir
    Lahmia's not on the map.
    Both Lhamia and Khemri is south of it.
    Sorry you must have been boring. -Dr Zoidberg

Lahmia is east of Khemri, on the far side of the worlds edge mnts and isnt covered on the map.

Correct, as I understand it, bearing in mind I don't really have a clue, Lahmia isn't likely to be on the map.

Annoying Warhammer know-it-all Member DrZoidberg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bwian
    We are definitely NOT scrapping the Tomb Kings.
    I like a man with clear motives. So this is all about you wanting to play the Tomb Kings? Cool.
    Sorry you must have been boring. -Dr Zoidberg

One of the benefits of being Mod Leader is that you always get to play your favourite faction ;)

But... on a serious note... you can no more leave out such a distinctive faction as you could leave out the Orcs or Elves. Doubly so now that KE and GOM have managed to verify that the animation files and underlying skeletons can be re-written, and that opens to door to ALL the wierd and wonderful creatures I always hoped. Ushabti, Bone Giants, Tomb Scorpions and such.

They are colourful, they are ...well...OK...they are my favourite.
    Careless Orc Costs Lives!

Yo, thinking about the undead cities and castles, how about instead of castles the undead get their pyramids? The cities WOULD have walls, but the pyramids wouldnt.....and well according to what I read on the book....correct me if I'm wrong....the pyramids are where the major players for the tomb kings reside...settra and the others etc. Maybe give the pyramids the more unique units and the cities the normal skeleton warriors???

And about the big ol sphinxes....good idea...just that...place em on the entrances to the city center....thats the only way it will work....besides that....

Also an idea for the sphinxes would be to have them spawn every time there is a battle at the castles......instead of making them a big ol immovable unit.

The wall levels would just add a spawned sphinx at the castle.

What yall think?

Also, about the barracks and junk...instead of having a diverse amount of things....skeletal militia and junk like that , make each barrack upgrade improve the armor/weapons OR the experience level....just like one of the other members posted earlier.

If I'm not mistaken warhammer is about making your armies strong and beefy, not a massive amount of troops eH? Correct me if im wrong, I dont play the game but I like to read the codexes

And about magic, have it be a trait for the generals, like things that would cause the tomb kings to do nasty morale damage to enemies...have the magic be a trait that increases the dread of the general....and since the undead are already supposed to be scary....that would make them a bit more formidable to face in the battlefield...

What yall think? Just my 2 cents

We do intend to use the generals traits to achieve exactly that. The Tomb King's will already be inducing fear, but the more advanced the general the more fearful they can become.

I dont understand how can you make them more fearful??? i guess

is not a senior Member Meneldil's Avatar

Default Re : Faction Thread 1: Tomb Kings

Well, yeah, apart giving them more dread, I see little way to make a general fearful

I just had a strange thought regarding the skeletons: are they going to have any special attributes making them harder to kill in certain ways? I mean, stabbing them with swords and pikes would look a bit strange with them just going through the ribs, and it would be strange seeing them get shot down by arrows too when arrows should logically just shoot right through them. Maybe give them a highish armour rating or something so they aren't as easily killed by thin pointy things, but more vulnerable against thick smashy things like hammers and axes?

It's probably irrelevant, but I thought I'd bring it up. I know nothing can be done about the death animations, which is a shame, as it would be weird seeing skellies killed by stabbing (at least weird when you're raised on Jason and the Argonauts ).

"Know, O Prince, that between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities, and the years of the rise of the Sons of Aryas, there was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world, like blue mantles beneath the stars...
    Is fhearr fheuchainn na bhith san duil.

Fact of MTW2 life I am afraid ... If there is any way t make them more resistant to piercing weapons that would be nice ..but I think we will just have to do that through armour stats.

Yes, too bad the old pavise shield function of MTW isn´t around any more (if you recall, some units had shields that only protected them from missiles, but not in melee).

I dont understand how can you make them more fearful??? i guess
    If I recall correctly there is a unit attribute "scares infantry" and "scares mounted". I think the elephant units have it.

Well, if I remember right, Camels have the "scare mounted" ability. I also saw yesterday that Aztec warriors have the "scare infantry" attribute.

ooohhh ok thank you very much

and also for the skeletons i think its better if you just raise their armor attributes.
    Last edited by Eufarius; 06-05-2007 at 01:33.

ooohhh ok thank you very much

Hooray

Small thing in the grand scheme of things, but something I had not done before. Just created a unique building for the Tomb kings, with a series of Pyramids to build, which produce Tomb King warriors. 3 'levels' of Pyramid, with varying warriors to recruit.

This faction will have a pretty simple build tree, with most of the other buildings providing bonus stats rather than actual troops. Will be a seperate archer and cavalry tree arrangement.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciaran
    Yes, too bad the old pavise shield function of MTW isn´t around any more (if you recall, some units had shields that only protected them from missiles, but not in melee).
    Are you sure about this?
    Pavise crossbowmen in vanilla are tough cookies when it comes to missile duels...

The "scare_Infantry" atribute is used much more in kingdoms, The Viking factions and teotonics use it alot. Its a realy good attribute too, if you time the charge right, the opposing army run whidout a fight. (even with better quality troops)

Scare Infantry is certainly something that should apply to Undead units!

Quote Originally Posted by Bwian
    Small thing in the grand scheme of things, but something I had not done before. Just created a unique building for the Tomb kings, with a series of Pyramids to build, which produce Tomb King warriors. 3 'levels' of Pyramid, with varying warriors to recruit.
    Do you mean unique building model, or just a unique building in the coding? Either way, good stuff!

"Know, O Prince, that between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities, and the years of the rise of the Sons of Aryas, there was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world, like blue mantles beneath the stars...

are guys going to be remoddeling all of the buildings? some of them? or none and just changing the text?

dosent bother me which way but evryone loves building covered in skulls
    For Middenheim & The Empire!

Right now, we can't create new buildings. KE has a script that reads the settlement files and dumps out some mesh.... but it doesn't read them all, and doesn't re-assemble the file. That will come later. IF we can mod it, then we will make new buildings.

What I did was to code a new building...unique to one faction... to build the tomb kings units. I wanted to re-do the build trees and use some unique new buldings, so I needed to get a fix on how to do it. This was my 'test' piece. Did all the icons and text too... Was easier than I expected!

Even if modding building models can't be done, you could always retexture them to make 'em a bit more warhammerish. Stick a bunch of skulls and eight-pointed star engravings on cathedrals or something.

What I did was to code a new building...unique to one faction... to build the tomb kings units. I wanted to re-do the build trees and use some unique new buldings, so I needed to get a fix on how to do it. This was my 'test' piece. Did all the icons and text too... Was easier than I expected!
    Groovy, so I guess this can be applied to all factions that have unique troop setups?

Awesome Cold One Knight Member Goncalou's Avatar

Post Re: Faction Thread 1: Tomb Kings

If u guys still havent figured out how the tomb kings will be able to get better units here's a suggestion: The tomb king player should need to build heirophant palaces, ya no since the heirophant summon and maintain the army. So they'll research new summoning spells there, allowing them to summon and maintain more soldiers. I think its a good idea tell me what u think.
    It's a fool's race to be run, if all is lost if it be won.

I like the idea of a simple tech tree, very cheap troops, very minimal economy. I suggest trade should be near zero, farms should be non-existant, and indeed, the main income should be mines. This has the advantage of making the faction very predictable. Your income will not vary depending on harvest or trade blockades. It will roll in so long as you have the mines.

I also like the idea of a simple tech tree. These troops are all already there, they died millenia ago.

Edit: Another thought has occurred to me.

How will Tomb King succession work? More importantly, what could possibly increase the Tomb King family tree? I think this might have to be fudged a bit for the mod. Maybe they recruit new Tomb Princes for the empire?
    Last edited by Caradrayan; 04-21-2008 at 17:02.

Maybe you could have it as new tomb princes are awakening from their long lumber.

Awesome Cold One Knight Member Goncalou's Avatar

Salnted good idea, for the coming of age type message it should be "One of the many Tomb Princes has at last awakened from his long rest, he may prove a worthy heir if our true lord ever dies." something like that. And nobody has yet commented on my suggestion please tell me if it's good or bad, PLEASE!!!
    It's a fool's race to be run, if all is lost if it be won.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12