Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Faction Thread 2: Vampire Counts

is not a senior Member Meneldil's Avatar

Default Re : Faction Thread 2: Vampire Counts

From what I understood, you're going with the Von Carstein as the VC faction. If that's so, I guess using Imperial names for the characters is the best thing we could come up with, no ?

Default Re: Faction Thread 2: Vampire Counts

As far as recruiting goes the idea of mercenary units for the basic troops is a good one. This covers also that there are graveyards/battlefields all over the map.
    As for special units you could do these as buildings in a loose sense of association. Instead of building them it would mean that the burial mounds / graveyards where these units are normally recruited (re-animated would be a better word) are discovered by the faction.
    Probably a good building for choice would be the church as it is razed if a region is conquered by a different faction.

Just got an idea for these guys, would it be possible to recruit better units at the site of a famous battle. It would make sense due to the lose of lives there.

Not sure to what extent you can control the mercenaries in a particular area ... but it is an idea.
    Careless Orc Costs Lives!

It is possible to control what mercenaries can be recruited in one area but this has to be set at the start of the game and cannot be changed during it (unless a mercenary needs a particular event to occur before it can exist, such as gunpowder discovered).
    4 Seasons (6 Empires battle for supremecy); 3.0 version
    Total War Eras (start at 970, 1080, 1200, 1300, 1400, or 1500); 2.4 version
    Eras Total Conquest (start at 1230, 1346, 1547); 1.2 version

Annoying Warhammer know-it-all Member DrZoidberg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by uanime5
    It is possible to control what mercenaries can be recruited in one area but this has to be set at the start of the game and cannot be changed during it (unless a mercenary needs a particular event to occur before it can exist, such as gunpowder discovered).
    And I do think we should use this feature toward making the game more interesting rather than WH cannon correct. Just my personal opinion.
    Sorry you must have been boring. -Dr Zoidberg

Warhammer Canon is what we are aiming for, unless the game cannot function correctly with it applied. There is no reaosn to think Warhammer Canon won't be fun....and I certainly don't see why we should re-invent the Warhammer Universe when we don't need to. The intention is to make a Warhammer Mod, not a mod loosly based on Warhammer.

We will change what we have to, but we intend to stay as true as possible to the tabletop wargame.

I think we should just limit them to factions. I mean a vampire can raise dead(which are virtualy everywhere) out of his territory.

I'm curious... what's warhammer canon..? Is it like normal gunpowder canons you guys are talking about?

That had better be a joke Dogman .... or I'm going to climb on my soapbox and give a boring speech about the shocking state of education these days. Then I might resort to biting sarcasm and finish off with a suggestion that someone go out and buy a decent dictionary.

I'm turning into a grumpy old man .... and I'm not even that old!

Methinks you sound like an old man!

But lemme check...

Searching....

Aha!

Canon: A secular law, rule, or code of law.
    Hmm... didn't help much! Oh well!

Anything produced by Games Workshop staff is canon. There are different levels to it, for example all Warhammer Army Books may be the first level of canon, while website info, novels, and world wide campaigns are the next level down. The lowest form of canon would be things like a Warhammer computer game or MMORPG. These lower levels must have input by the creators of Warhammer, but in the end it wasnt actually made by them and so are less likely to be taken seriously.

Fanfiction is a perfect example of non-canon. It has no official relation to the official game world. I got in trouble in the Skaven section for using non-canon information, so it can be a problem.

Dogman ..this old man keeps his soapbox handy at all times

Nice smilies .... and a fine dictionary definition! A dictionary is such a useful thing to own. Paperweight...fly-swatting ... levelling a rickety desk...myriad of possible uses. Now define secular....

Ahh...how I laughed at the Life of Brian 'romans go home' scene.

But..alas...I am digressing and I have precious little time to waste... I got Dwarves to build

Aye Aye Captain! And thanks for helping explain Canon, Jargon!

Hey everyone !

first post here. I was looking for a nice fansite because i just recently got MTW2 and i saw this post about a warhammer mod. I really like warhammer and i have a good suggestion, but i dont know if it can be done gamewise.

Instead of having necromancers as units, why not make a priest be a necromancer. This way you could send a necromancer(priest) to one of your areas and make it so that as long as the necromancer stays in that certain area or city,that at each end of the turn a city or cities in a region would receive a group of undead. Or an army spawns for your faction in that area consisting completely from undead soldiers.

i hope you guys understand what im trying to say, english isnt my original language. (im Dutch)

anyways awesome you make this mod and i hope my suggestion helps

Annoying Warhammer know-it-all Member DrZoidberg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by overkill1991

Instead of having necromancers as units, why not make a priest be a necromancer. This way you could send a necromancer(priest) to one of your areas and make it so that as long as the necromancer stays in that certain area or city,that at each end of the turn a city or cities in a region would receive a group of undead. Or an army spawns for your faction in that area consisting completely from undead soldiers.
    I hate to rain on your parade but I'm fairly sure this isn't possible to do in the MTW2 engine.
    Sorry you must have been boring. -Dr Zoidberg

The closest thing to that is generals being able to recruit mercenaries. This costs money but requires no population to form the pool. If we are to have undead troops raised, then the only way to do it would be to have them as mercenaries.

Now...the problem there, is making sure that only those factions that should be using them are able to recruit them. I cannot imagine having an Empire army using skeletons as troops....

Mercenaries can be assigned to a particular religion. Therefore we just have to ensure that only the Vampire Counts, and possibly the Tomb Kings, belong to that religion while all other factions belong to a different religion.
    4 Seasons (6 Empires battle for supremecy); 3.0 version
    Total War Eras (start at 970, 1080, 1200, 1300, 1400, or 1500); 2.4 version
    Eras Total Conquest (start at 1230, 1346, 1547); 1.2 version

Bringer of the End Times Member alexader's Avatar

Did anyone said something about Mordheim? I think that is a place that fits to a vampire city because it is ''cursed'' city so it is intersted to be(for the von carsteins right?).What do you think?......
    "VAE VICTUS"

Warhammer: Total War Team Member Krazysigmarite's Avatar

Mordheim was destroyed by a two-tailed comet during the Imperial Civil War after it became corrupted in many different ways. Most citizens in the Empire saw this as Sigmar smiting the city for its sins. Mordheim no longer exists and is not in anyone's memory, as the city's ruins were utterly razed and destroyed by Magnus the Pious's armies after the victorious Great War against Chaos. After the destruction of the ruins, Mordheim was removed from all Imperial history. 'Modern' Empire citizens would have never heard of Mordheim.

The city/province you are thinking of is Sylvania, the cursed lands where the Von Carsteins first made their rise. Castle Drakwald is the specific center of terror and shun.
    Last edited by Krazysigmarite; 06-14-2007 at 18:15.

the campaign that game workshop had realesed with the name mordheim city of the damned says that many warbands go their to search for treasures and for wyrdstone and in the city have been found many undead and stranger creatures wandering the streets.I think mordheim still exist and it's very common to be an undead city,it's only my opinion and Bwian decides (but many shops that i go and play say that mordheim still exist because GW tells)
    "VAE VICTUS"

Warhammer: Total War Team Member Krazysigmarite's Avatar

The game Mordheim takes place before Magnus the Pious razed the city. It's a pretty fun little skirmish game, you put together a warband and battle it out with other gangs, search for treasure, etc. The hunt is based around finding pieces of warpstone. The ruins of Mordheim were tainted by chaos because of the large amount of warpstone in the comet that leveled the city - hence why Magnus destroyed the ruins.

I know the story,i am playing this game recently,but the only thing i didn't know is that it takes place before magnus the pious razed the city beacuse i didn't find it anywhere in the sourcebooks or even the rulebook of mordhiem ,so have anyone alse an opinion about mordhiem? Ok if Bwain don't want mordheim i will not insist.The end
    "VAE VICTUS"

If the Vampire Counts faction are in desperate need of another city, then Mordheim seems like it could fit the bill. Make it a weak city with a few skeleton units as garrison, representing it rising from the ashes with the undead in control. If VC dont need a new city that badly then maybe its too much of a stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by alexader
    the campaign that game workshop had realesed with the name mordheim city of the damned says that many warbands go their to search for treasures and for wyrdstone and in the city have been found many undead and stranger creatures wandering the streets.I think mordheim still exist and it's very common to be an undead city,it's only my opinion and Bwian decides (but many shops that i go and play say that mordheim still exist because GW tells)
    The important thing is to look at the timeline. In some point of time, Mortheim did exist as a regular city, at another point as the ruined city and finally it didn´t exist anymore at all. And not all Warhammer universe scenarios are placed at the same point in time, it´s just an impression you tend to get because there´s not much in the way of technological progress in the Warhammer universe. Much like the Lord of the Rings, people there are rapping each other over the head with swords for three Ages, almost nine thousand years, and no progress at all. As a comparison t the real world, that´s somewhere in the Stone Age.

I was thinking about Ghouls and their poisoned attacks. I guess it can't be mimicked in the engine like it works on the tabletop, where certain hits automatically wound or whatever it is, been too long since I played FB... If I remember correctly you're thinking of solving it by just increasing attack rating?

Would it be possible for poisoned attacks to induce the rotting cow effect? I have a feeling it's been discussed before so sorry if it's already been ruled out. I searched but didn't find it...

I don't think there is any way we can fairly recreate the poison effects, other than by upping the combat power, and giving them a 'dread' factor so they cause fear in other units.

I managed to fool RTW into letting me use a human skeleton in an elephant unit ( with invisible riders due to the lack of a saddle bone ) and this worked well for me. It greatly reduced the size of the unit. There were some issues...and I could not make the archers on the back fire ... but it's an avenue I can explore for magic firing units.
    How did you do this, out of interest?
    Mod leader of Warhammer; Total War

RTW animations used a system which I could mess about with...and M2TW is the same ..but far more obvious to play with!

Each 'movement' in the descr_skeleton text file is linked to an action. I found that RTW human skeletons had all the movements that an elephant did. Horses and camels lacked an attack set...but the elephant had this. As a result, you can put an elephant unit in but give it a human model. The human model uses a human animation set ... but you could put each corresponding human animation movement into a new folder, and make it a skeleton set for the elephant.

It's much easier in M2TW, since you can just edit the skeleton file to point a set at the animations you want.

The only thing I don't understand is how the link to the rider units actually works. I know what happened in that instance... but I don;t understand why the riders did not display! I figured the units must be positioned relative to a certain bone ... but I don't know how it happens.

If you're going for a sylvanian vampire counts faction, what about adding something like a unit Sylvanian Levy and Sylvanian Levy Archers to villages as living units?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast