Thread: increase tradeable goods or law bonus?

Default increase tradeable goods or law bonus?

increase tradeable goods or law bonus?

which 1 is better to cover more income for your faction?
    increase tradeable goods increase your trade income,law bonus take out corruption from your cities,that make sure more denarii is safely go back to your coffer..
    what would you guys do to get more denarii for your faction?

example: for Greek cities,in capitol,of coz we can build Pantheon of Hermes coz no corruption,but how about those cities got distance to capitol(corruptions) 80%,Pantheon of Athena or Pantheon of Hermes? (even we got Collossues of Rhodes(increase Naval trade by 40%)

which 1?any suggestion?
    In all warfare,speed is the key!

the oats that are mighty Member mightilyoats's Avatar

Default Re: increase tradeable goods or law bonus?

I tend to always go for the law bonus, regardless of what the other temples offer. To me it is important to keep order (the anti corruption is just a by product). The law temples also has no adverse effect on your governors as far as I know. (Temples of fun and fertility can sometimes ruin a perfectly good family member.) Plus, the roads, markets and ports seems enough to me.

You make the most cash from conquering more teritory anyway.
    S-U-C-E-S! That's the way you spell... suces?

i just try to SQUEEZE out any denarii from my limited resources!

just like chinese said that try to squeeze the oil out of the stone...
    Last edited by guineawolf; 05-02-2007 at 16:45.

the oats that are mighty Member mightilyoats's Avatar

Well... (ooo, I can feel a headache comming...) You will have to calculate it. How much money do you lose from corruption (and corruption can go the other way too.) How much will you have to pay in upkeep for extra units to keep the peace... How much will you gain from one more tradeable resource...

I can honestly say that I really feel incapable of answering this question. For me, building a temple of law gives me a clear increase in the settlement order. So I will stick with law so I know what I am getting.
    S-U-C-E-S! That's the way you spell... suces?

Misanthropos Member I of the Storm's Avatar

In the long run I'd always go for the law bonus. It lowers corruption, thus you lose less money in that city. IMO the trade goods bonus of the temple of hermes will soon be eaten up by corruption and the need for bigger garrisons once a city has hit the 12000 mark. Plus your governors get this refined tastes trait thread more easily in Hermes cities and you don't want that.

Anyway, war has to feed itself I say, so conquer and loot. Good for the mens morale also...

Edit: damn, too slow
    Last edited by I of the Storm; 05-02-2007 at 14:35.

Post Re: increase tradeable goods or law bonus?

I, like many others, always go for the law temple, unless I'm close to the capital, within two provinces. This is mostly to prevent nasty old corruption and to increase public order. I have found that, in most cases, however, it may be better to, nearer the capital, not bother with law temples and go for the trade instead - this is due to cities near the capital not having any large corruption problems or happiness issues.
    Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go back to bed

Quote Originally Posted by Omanes Alexandrapolites the Idiot
    I, like many others, always go for the law temple, unless I'm close to the capital, within two provinces. This is mostly to prevent nasty old corruption and to increase public order. I have found that, in most cases, however, it may be better to, nearer the capital, not bother with law temples and go for the trade instead - this is due to cities near the capital not having any large corruption problems or happiness issues.
    then,it just support me to run new plan,build those temple base on different situation(more flexible),i will build HERMES at capitol and cities with 5-15% distance to capitol,then NIKE at cities with 20-30%,rest build ATHENA at cities with more than 30% distance to capitol........

many thanks to you guys........yours opinion help me to decide!

RTW V1.5 & BI V1.6 Member Severous's Avatar

Before you make the building choice you should open the detail city screen. Then add a building. You will see the icons of law/income/corruption change as you add the building to the que.

Greyed out icons show the new income once the building is complete. Look at the values. Easy to work out which is better in the short term.

I tend towards the law bonus temples. I run very high tax regimes and need the better public order such temples provide to offset the unrest caused by the high tax.
    Regards
    (RTW Eras: RTW V1.5 and BI V1.6 No Mods)

Currently writing a Scipii AAR (with pictures)
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=91877

Barbarian Invasion. Franks hold out against the world.
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=77526

I only build Trade Temples if their distance to the capital is 25% or less and if the city gets most of its income from trade. AFAIK, the money you save from reducing corruption is generally more than the amount you'd make from increasing trade outside high-trade areas like Greece, Asia Minor, Carthage, and all the islands, but it's easy enough to check like Severous said.

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

I use Increase tradeable bonus in some places that I have a really negative income.

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    But when all is said and done
    It's you I love

Hi Caius Flaminius (and happy B-day BTW),
    It may seem terrible a settlement being in negatives, yet it is not especially terrible at all. Surprisingly, if a settlement is in minus figures then it is not actually losing you money at all - instead it is preventing other cities from taking the strain of your empire's expense problems! Unfortunately, in R:TW the income of each individual city is almost irrelevant as it does not represent the income that it the settlement is actually providing - this is because the income that the game calculates includes military expenditure which increases the larger the population become. Instead, I have found that the financial scroll is a much more accurate depiction of what is going on within one's empire. Should anybody desire to work out a more reliable income of a settlement then it often is best to just add up the positive side of the complex settlement details scroll and then subtract the negatives from the end result excluding military upkeep costs. Good luck with understanding this complex post which even I cannot understand, hope this helps you, good luck, cheers!

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

Hi Caius Flaminius (and happy B-day BTW),
    It may seem terrible a settlement being in negatives, yet it is not especially terrible at all. Surprisingly, if a settlement is in minus figures then it is not actually losing you money at all - instead it is preventing other cities from taking the strain of your empire's expense problems! Unfortunately, in R:TW the income of each individual city is almost irrelevant as it does not represent the income that it the settlement is actually providing - this is because the income that the game calculates includes military expenditure which increases the larger the population become. Instead, I have found that the financial scroll is a much more accurate depiction of what is going on within one's empire. Should anybody desire to work out a more reliable income of a settlement then it often is best to just add up the positive side of the complex settlement details scroll and then subtract the negatives from the end result excluding military upkeep costs. Good luck with understanding this complex post which even I cannot understand, hope this helps you, good luck, cheers!
    Of course it does.

How can I have a better income then?

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    But when all is said and done
    It's you I love

Hi,
    The increase in trade-able goods and building farming upgrades is one way of doing this, yet further away from the capital increasing law optimizes it more too by reducing expenditure through corruption. Another way of increasing your income is going on a disbanding spree - disband all military units that you don't need and your income should increase drastically - in R:TW that's the major drain on ones resources. You can also reduce the regularity of games/races, should you be holding any, within your settlements to further optimize the income. Also, if your feeling evil, you can send your family members, on boats, into pirate/enemy infested waters to get them killed and off your pay roll. Hope this helps, cheers!

BTW, also increasing the population size optimizes income through having more people paying taxes within your settlements.
    Last edited by Omanes Alexandrapolites; 05-04-2007 at 08:43.

Also, if your feeling evil, you can send your family members, on boats, into pirate/enemy infested waters to get them killed and off your pay roll. Hope this helps, cheers!
    If you have too many family members,use them as cavalry then,they are quite powerful though since they got 2 hitpoint.And their personal bodyguards will spawn by itself without retraining,that would be useful....

for me,i use those family members as the commanderof my support army(secondary army that support my regular army to assault a city,mostly they will get killed in action coz of their "bravery",that's how i use up those extra family members.Then you will adopt new "son" from quality officers since your empire is quite big enough...(that means you will get unlimited supply of command officers,a recycle,you see....)
    Last edited by guineawolf; 05-04-2007 at 15:25.

Hi guineawolf,
    I'm sorry to say that I beleive that you may have misunderstood me. I was talking more about family member upkeep - their wages are of epic proportions and are the second largest treasury drain after your military. However, I do agree with you in what you have said - they are useful heavy cavalry, but, if your empires funds are struggeling, then it's often best to, if disbanding your military doesn't work, getting rid of them.

i know exectly what you are saying ,coz i used to conquered a whole map,and the number of family members is base on empire size(number of your cities),then i do experiencing that having too many of family member,they are too many even i place them all in 3 cities still got to find new home for them(as Seleucid Empire)

Since i got that many family members,that means expenditure for these family members will be more than 10k denarii.Yes,i do know what you are talking about .It just those AI won't send more stacks of army to do huge battle with me(perhaps it is becoz this is version 1.1?Anyone got experience that AI would kind to sending plenty stacks of army to doing huge battle with you?I mean in what version ?)

Perhaps disband those regular cavalry,use those family members personal bodyguards instead will be better?

wait ...are you saying that gonna killed them to let your financial temporary get loose up so ....then......