Thread: The difficuilties facing Muslims in space

Default The difficuilties facing Muslims in space

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21656416-2,00.html

I saw this in the newspaper at work today and found it quite interesting. Muslims will need to find a way around this if we ever do begin colonising planets, or if they want to go on commercial space flights.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Default Re: The difficuilties facing Muslims in space

hehe that's hysterical, quite the dilemma indeed

Senior Member Senior Member English assassin's Avatar

And what do they do when they meet the Pigs In Spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaace?
    "The only thing I've gotten out of this thread is that Navaros is claiming that Satan gave Man meat. Awesome." Gorebag

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

Wow, I didn't see that coming. It is an interesting question though...
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    And what do they do when they meet the Pigs In Spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaace
    Thinks of Mel Brook's 'History of the world'... Or worse, jews in space!

I thought Allah is forgiving?
    Allah will surely know that the Astronaut cannot keep up with certain things, so what's all that about?

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Second-hand chariot salesman Senior Member macsen rufus's Avatar

Well, strict adherence is going to be impossible, isn't it? But I thought the final comment about halal food was bit of a copout. Imagine the derision if someone said "I'm a vegetarian but eat meat consistent with restraining hunger"???? I think it all goes to show that by the time you (as a species) get into space you really should have grown out of religion
    ANCIENT: TW

A mod for Medieval:TW (with VI)

Discussion forum thread

Download A Game of Thrones Mod v1.4

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Husar
    I thought Allah is forgiving?
    Allah will surely know that the Astronaut cannot keep up with certain things, so what's all that about?
    It's not about Allah but the fanatics that will chop your head off once you land. Maybe devout muslims should stay home barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen?

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Would the women have to wear a burka under their pressure suit, when they go for a spacewalk?
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Quote Originally Posted by macsen rufus
    I think it all goes to show that by the time you (as a species) get into space you really should have grown out of religion
    I don't think so since I don't see the issues of a christian in space, can you name one? I'm not sure about other religions, but christian pray whenever they feel like it and into whatever direction they feel like, they can also eat any kind of food, don't need a carpet etc.

Blog Entries

Yes, but I also think that by and large Christians tend to believe that Earth is the place of our origin, so it should be revered in some way. But not entirely the place of our future. Its a rather shallow view to believe that the all-knowing Allah, God, Jehova etc is confined within the limits of only one solar system.

In Futurama when Bender talks to God he says he wants to go back to Earth, and god replies "oh, which direction is that?" Had a good laugh after that.

Jillian & Allison's Daddy Senior Member Don Corleone's Avatar

Fundamentalist Christians believe Genesis literally. So that could cause a big problem, when they see that in fact stars are not 'in our sky', but just other solar systems. I'm pretty sure they reject the possibility of life on other planets, mainly because God created the chosen people here.

Interestingly, Ray Bradbury wrote a short story about the ramifications of life on other planets. Basically, the birth, ministry, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ would be an epochal event that is triggered by society reaching a certain level of accomplishment (think Golden Age in Civilization III). Jesus roams the galaxies, repeating this cycle on various planets as their societies progress to a point where they can even understand his ministry. There's a guy trying to catch up to him but always misses him, he always arrives closer and closer but always right after the ascension.

I don't think more rational Christians who take the Pentetauch as metaphorical, would have any issues along these lines.
    "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
    Don Vito Corleone: The Godfather, Part 1.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

If god created the universe, and that's what I believe, I don't see why he should be confined or anything. Concerning fundamental christians who believe that the stars are "in our sky"....I don't know what to say, it's how it's written down and we still use the phrase in love poems, but it's like saying any material not exactly mentioned in the bible doesn't exist, so just because the bible never mentions computers they either don't exist or are a thing of the devil or what? I mean such abelief is so unbelievable that I just don't know what to say.

Jillian & Allison's Daddy Senior Member Don Corleone's Avatar

I never said it made any sense. For a lot of fundies, yes, electricity and computers are indeed from the devil.

Personally, I think it's blasphemous to say try to limit God's power and say what He was and was not capable of. If He wanted to scatter life throughout the cosmos, who are we to come up with 'only-child' syndrome.
    "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
    Don Vito Corleone: The Godfather, Part 1.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

Come to daddy Member Geoffrey S's Avatar

These kind of things show just how pointless it is to take holy scriptures and apply them literally to everyday life. Christianity has for a large part progressed beyond such contradictory issues, but it is clear that the Islam has not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone
    Interestingly, Ray Bradbury wrote a short story about the ramifications of life on other planets. Basically, the birth, ministry, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ would be an epochal event that is triggered by society reaching a certain level of accomplishment (think Golden Age in Civilization III). Jesus roams the galaxies, repeating this cycle on various planets as their societies progress to a point where they can even understand his ministry. There's a guy trying to catch up to him but always misses him, he always arrives closer and closer but always right after the ascension.
    That was a good one, and I liked the point the author was making on belief.
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

AKA Leif 3000 TURBO Senior Member Leet Eriksson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hepcat
    http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21656416-2,00.html

I saw this in the newspaper at work today and found it quite interesting. Muslims will need to find a way around this if we ever do begin colonising planets, or if they want to go on commercial space flights.
    I think these have been already answered.

As mentioned in the article, already 2 muslims went to space, if you can't preform any rituals, you don't have to. However it should be noted that while travelling facing mecca is not obligatory, particularily if you don't know where meccas direction is. And if you are suspended in space you can usually just recite the ritual in your heart.

And if it so happens we colonise planets sometime in the far future, it wouldn't be a big problem becuase the prayers while travelling rule still apply.
    Texas is Gods country! - SFTS
    SFTS = The rest =

Medical Welshman in London. Senior Member Big King Sanctaphrax's Avatar
    Cardiff in the summer, London during term time.

In space, no-one can hear you pray.
    Co-Lord of BKS and Beirut's Kingdom of Peace and Love.

"Handsome features, rugged exteriors, intellectual chick magnets, we're pretty much twins."-Beirut

"Rhy, where's your helicopter now? Where's your ******* helicopter now?"-Mephistopheles.

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Schrödinger's Mecca?
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Senior Member Senior Member English assassin's Avatar

Ray Bradbury is teh bomb
    "The only thing I've gotten out of this thread is that Navaros is claiming that Satan gave Man meat. Awesome." Gorebag

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Good question.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts