Thread: Groundtypes

Default Groundtypes

Sorry if this is a dumb question but groundtypes are displayed ingame on a 2*2 grid, not the 1*1 you work at in the actual tga, correct?

What I mean is 2*2 pixels on the groundtype tga equals a single tile ingame?
    Last edited by Casuir; 05-02-2007 at 12:18.

Harbinger of... saliva Member alpaca's Avatar

Default Re: Groundtypes

Moved to modding questions.

In that regard, groundtypes is like the heightmap so each non-map-edge region tile corresponds to a total of 4 pixels, but is actually linked to 9 pixels (one center pixel and 8 neighbors that are shared with the neighboring region tiles).

I understand, so on a bit of map looking like this:

you'll get this ingame:

An overlay of the actual pixels that matter gives you this:

which shows only some of the forest is on a pixel that matters

Thats very useful to know and will save quite a bit of time and messing about, you should write it up in a tutorial along with the coastlines stuff on twc. I was getting confused by the ingame tile viewer, looked to be upping the groundtypes to the same scale as the regions for forests and peaks, but the textures were blending on a smaller scale.

Harbinger of... saliva Member alpaca's Avatar

Meh freaking post deletion didn't work properly
    Do the pixels that don't have a corresponding tile in regions change anything when you modify them (for example the direction of the sparse forest) or does the game discard all information?
    It's probably the same for the fog and climate tiles by the way.

Didn't notice this before, but then again I didn't edit groundtypes yet.

Nah doesnt look to do anything there. I think the engine just places a random model. It does effect where your ground textures go and its handy for working out the exact courses of your rivers though.