Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Estonia's Decision to Remove Soviet WWII Monument Sparks Protest

Default Estonia's Decision to Remove Soviet WWII Monument Sparks Protest

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/europe...eut/index.html

TALLINN, Estonia (Reuters) -- Estonia spirited away the controversial statue of a Red Army Soviet soldier from the Centrex of the capital in the early hours on Friday after violent riots against its removal in which one man was killed.

Russia reacted furiously to the move and its upper house of parliament voted to ask President Vladimir Putin to sever relations with the small Baltic state.

Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said Moscow would "take serious steps" against Estonia, Russian news agencies reported.

The statue was taken away in the early hours after the worst violence seen in years in Estonia, including vandalism and looting by mainly Russian-speaking protesters.

"The aim of the government decision was to avoid further possible actions against the public order," Estonia's government said in a statement.

Russia, which has had troubled ties with Estonia since it won independence from the Soviet Union in 1991, has protested against the plan to move the World War Two monument as an insult to those who fought fascism. It has also angered local Russian-speakers, a large minority of around 300,000 in the country of 1.3 million.

Estonians tend to view it as a reminder of 50 years of Soviet occupation.

"Yet again, we can qualify the actions of official Tallinn as sacrilegious and inhuman ...," Interfax news agency quoted Russian Foreign Ministry spokesman Mikhail Kamynin as saying. "We are working to formulate a concrete reaction towards what has happened," he added.

He said the move was harsh ahead of the May 9 anniversary of the end of World War Two, a popular public holiday in Russia.

By mid-morning the area around the statue was calm and traffic was flowing freely. Estonia said the statue was now somewhere under police control. People continued to clean up the streets and windows in many residential and office buildings nearby were smashed.
    Russian anger

The vote by Russia's upper house of parliament on severing diplomatic ties with Estonia reflected Moscow's anger.

"We've seen enough of this mocking the dead and scoffing at the victory in World War Two," Russian news agencies quoted Federation Council Speaker Sergei Mironov as telling the chamber.

The senators then backed the non-binding decision. Mikhail Margelov, head of the foreign relations committee at the Federation Council, said the events in Tallinn showed that "the war against fascism did not end on May 9, 1945."

"This fight goes on and it will continue as long as there are grave-diggers who are ready to throw out from the graves those who defeated fascism," he told Russian television.

The violence came amid strong feelings about the 2-meter (6 1/2 ft) high bronze statue of a World War Two Red Army soldier, set in a large stone wall in a park, which was erected in 1947.

The government said one man died in the disturbances, which began after more than 1,000 people gathered to protest on Thursday, after being stabbed in the subsequent violence.

The government said 44 of the protesters and 13 police were injured and 300 people were arrested. Looters smashed windows, fires were started and cars overturned.

Estonia has said the monument is a public order problem as it attracts Estonian and Russian nationalists. It has also said it is more respectful to the dead to be buried in a cemetery.

The authorities had fenced off the area around the monument and the statue itself and erected a long white tent as they prepared to dig for the remains of any soldiers.
    I have mixed feelings about this. Part of sees this as a bad idea because you it really isn't a good idea to piss off the Russians if you are Estonia. Part of me also says it is good because it shows that Estonia has enough guts to do so.

Default Re: Estonia's Decision to Remove Soviet WWII Monument Sparks Protest

I say let them piss off the ruskis. 50 years of Soviet occupation is a long time. Anyway, now that they are in NATO, you guys can always ride to the rescue, ala 7th cavalry, if Putin gets his sabre out.

It's their country, they can do what they want. It's got bugger all to do with Moscow.

Just my tuppenth worth.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

Does Estonia even need Russia? I was under the impression that they were one of the "Baltic Tigers" whose economy was growing rapidly.

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Gas supplies? I imagine they need them as well as the rest of Europe. And since when have (European) NATO had the guts to do anything apart from argue?

It has only been moved elsewhere, not scrapped, so no biggie.

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Monument should stay, screw post-war resistance heroes. It's for dead soldiers not for politicians.

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rory_20_uk
    And since when have (European) NATO had the guts to do anything apart from argue?
    Afghanistan.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander the Pretty Good
    Does Estonia even need Russia?
    Yes, if they wish to recieve thier natural gas.

"Gazprom is also increasingly becoming an owner of natural gas utilities in the Baltic region. Gazprom holds a 25% stake in Latvia's Latvian Gaze and a 37% stake in Estonia's Eesti Gaas (along with other major foreign shareholders, Germany's Ruhrgas and Finland's Fortum). Most recently, in January 2004, Gazprom finalized its acquisition of a 34% stake in Lithuania's natural gas company, Lietuvos Dujos. With the three Baltic states scheduled to join the European Union in May 2004, Gazprom's growing influence in the Baltics could serve as a staging ground for greater exports to the countries of the European Union." Source

the baltics are major distribution points for energy from Russia, both via the sea and pipeline.

Other then national intrests (of Estonia) I dont see how this helps them diplomatically.
    There are few things more annoying than some idiot who has never done anything trying to say definitively how something should be done.

Sua Sponte

Very Senior Member Gawain of Orkeny's Avatar

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Monument should stay, screw post-war resistance heroes. It's for dead soldiers not for politicians.
    One mans hero is another mans army of occupation. Screw the Russians. All this over a stinking statue? Imagine if they had burned Russian flags.
    Fighting for Truth , Justice and the American way

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gawain of Orkeny
    One mans hero is another mans army of occupation. Screw the Russians. All this over a stinking statue? Imagine if they had burned Russian flags.
    Living in the USSR wasn't nice, but do you think a prolonged German occupation would have been any better? I agree with Frag on this one.

If the monument is seen as a sanctuary for certain extremists they should crack down on those instead of trying to remove the symptons.

Can't really see why they want to do this.... The Red Army was made up of Estonians as well... Kinda looks like they want to spit at their own citizen who fought and died in ww2...
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Living in the USSR wasn't nice, but do you think a prolonged German occupation would have been any better? I agree with Frag on this one.
    Whats the difference. Brutal occupation is brutal occupation. I guess we better put that statue of Saddam back up. Look these people dont look at the Russian soldiers of WW2 as liberators. And in that view they are correct. People burn american flags everyday yet we dont sanction them for it. Big deal they moved a statue that was errected by anothor nation on thier soil. They have the perfect right to.

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gawain of Orkeny
    Whats the difference. Brutal occupation is brutal occupation. I guess we better put that statue of Saddam back up. Look these people dont look at the Russian soldiers of WW2 as liberators. And in that view they are correct. People burn american flags everyday yet we dont sanction them for it. Big deal they moved a statue that was errected by anothor nation on thier soil. They have the perfect right to.
    It's a statue commemorating soldiers who died over 50 years ago, pure and simple. Of course they have every right to remove it, though that doesn't mean I agree with the decision itself. The Estonians share their country with a sizable Russian minority, what good is this going to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Fenring
    It's a statue commemorating soldiers who died over 50 years ago, pure and simple.
    isnt it also a burial site for war dead?

thats whats put me off to it (if thats true) I dont care how people run thier affairs but why move a memorial to war dead and exhume thier bodies in the process? That seems real antagonistic to me.
    There are few things more annoying than some idiot who has never done anything trying to say definitively how something should be done.

Sua Sponte

Great news!

They should replace it with a statue of a German soldier, representing the thousands that fought and died with the Estonians trying to wipe communism off the face of the earth.

There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Handler of candles Member Xehh II's Avatar

Why would Russia care about the statue, it's not like they're Soviets anymore.
    I mean if I was the leader of Russia I would try to get rid of everything that had anything to do with it.
    A ha ha! Rainbows and unicorns! Rainbows and unicorns!

Quote Originally Posted by Xehh II
    Why would Russia care about the statue, it's not like they're Soviets anymore.
    I mean if I was the leader of Russia I would try to get rid of everything that had anything to do with it.
    Just as well you are not, then.
    Putin has proclaimed that the collapse of the Soviet Union was a disaster for his
    country, has he not? Distancing wouldn't be foremost on the agenda, and rightly
    so.

The statue should've stayed; as a memorial it's only right that it remain
    undisturbed.
    it's the **** that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come

Handler of candles Member Xehh II's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rdeče.jabolko
    Just as well you are not, then.
    Putin has proclaimed that the collapse of the Soviet Union was a disaster for his
    country, has he not? Distancing wouldn't be foremost on the agenda, and rightly
    so.
    Why was it a disaster? It would've been the best thing to happen to them.
    A ha ha! Rainbows and unicorns! Rainbows and unicorns!

His higness, the Sultan Member Randarkmaan's Avatar

The way it happened was a complete disaster...
    And to Panzerjager: you are just confused... And the german uniforms looked stupid.

Anyways I would just like to say that millions of Red Army soldiers fought and died in WWII, a good deal of them were not Russian, it is not their fault that their bravery was used to enslave countries rather than liberate them. They deserve to be remembered, perhaps for that reason.
    Last edited by Randarkmaan; 04-27-2007 at 20:48.
    "One of the nice things about looking at a bear is that you know it spends 100 per cent of every minute of every day being a bear. It doesn't strive to become a better bear. It doesn't go to sleep thinking, "I wasn't really a very good bear today". They are just 100 per cent bear, whereas human beings feel we're not 100 per cent human, that we're always letting ourselves down. We're constantly striving towards something, to some fulfilment"
    -Stephen Fry

Philologist Senior Member ajaxfetish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Randarkmaan
    ... And the german uniforms looked stupid.
    Ooh . . . careful!

Them's is fightin' words with PJ around.

Ajax

edit: I vote they donate the statue to 'Stalin World' in Lithuania.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stalin_World
    Last edited by ajaxfetish; 04-27-2007 at 21:08.

"I do not yet know how chivalry will fare in these calamitous times of ours." --- Don Quixote
    "I have no words, my voice is in my sword." --- Shakespeare
    "I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it." --- Jack Handey

And to Panzerjager: you are just confused... And the german uniforms looked stupid.
    I believe most people find the German uniforms of WW2 to be their favorites.

Anyways I would just like to say that millions of Red Army soldiers fought and died in WWII, a good deal of them were not Russian, it is not their fault that their bravery was used to enslave countries rather than liberate them. They deserve to be remembered, perhaps for that reason.
    What reason is that? Russia was no better than Germany in WW2 if not worse. If the germans had erected a statue to their war dead in France would you complain if the French took it down?

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore
    Can't really see why they want to do this.... The Red Army was made up of Estonians as well... Kinda looks like they want to spit at their own citizen who fought and died in ww2...
    You jest? Estonia attempted to remain neutral as I recall - but, were invaded by the Nazis. A friend of mines Mom is Estonian (was), her father was a German General that was "purged" for his involvement in the first assassination attempt on Hitler. The Nazis then went after his family - the King of Sweden rescued her step-Mom and step-sister (she was at school) - they git them to Switzerland. She on the other hand was captured and sent to a concentration work camp. After the war, the Soviets invaded Estonia (which had proclaimed their independence) and sent her and a majority of the populace to work camps. The Soviets then replaced the populace with their loyalists. That is who the 300,000 russian speaking populace is - the decendents of the Soviet invaders.

I had a friend in the army that was Lithuanian - he said the Lithuanians in that country today (1968) are Russians - the Lithuanians were enmass walked off to Soviet work (concentration) camps. That was the Stalin plan throughout Eastern and Western Europe, to replace the indigenous populaces with Russians. Look what happened in Poland and Hungry when the populations revolted.

The Koreans tore down every Jap pagoda, war memorial, and building that reminded them of their occupation. Why not in Estonia? Or, anywhere.
    To forgive bad deeds is Christian; to reward them is Republican. 'MC' Rove
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
    ]Clowns to the right of me, Jokers to the left ... here I am - stuck in the middle with you.

Save the Whales. Collect the whole set of them.

Better to have your enemys in the tent pissin' out, than have them outside the tent pissin' in. LBJ

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

What reason is that? Russia was no better than Germany in WW2 if not worse. If the germans had erected a statue to their war dead in France would you complain if the French took it down?
    I'm not saying that they were better or worse, though honestly I would say the Germans were worse, though I would have preferred neither, who would want to have their country occupied anyway? What I was trying to say was that we can remember if, if we want, how many brave peoples' lives have been wasted.

That is who the 300,000 russian speaking populace is - the decendents of the Soviet invaders.
    So what? They live there now. It's just as with the Israelis; most of them now are not the occupiers who drove the Palestinians away, but people born in the country.
    Last edited by Randarkmaan; 04-27-2007 at 21:16.
    "One of the nice things about looking at a bear is that you know it spends 100 per cent of every minute of every day being a bear. It doesn't strive to become a better bear. It doesn't go to sleep thinking, "I wasn't really a very good bear today". They are just 100 per cent bear, whereas human beings feel we're not 100 per cent human, that we're always letting ourselves down. We're constantly striving towards something, to some fulfilment"
    -Stephen Fry

What I was trying to say was that we can remember if, if we want, how many brave peoples' lives have been wasted.
    Being brave for a bad reason dosent make you a hero. The point is this is a statue dedicated to occupiers. How can you blame the Estonians for wanting it gone? Im sure there are lots of statues to brave english soldiers erected in Scotland and Ireland How about a nice staue of Longshanks in the middle of Glassgow?

Being brave for a bad reason dosent make you a hero.
    No, but it doesen't mean they should be forgotten.
    -Stephen Fry

No, but it doesen't mean they should be forgotten
    Let the Russians remember them in Russia then. Why should the people of Estonia want to honor an invader?

Good point, but not all Soviet soldiers were Russian, and there are some Russians in Estonia. But lets leave it at that, they've taken away the statue now and the Russians are pissed. Good for them that they are in NATO, but then again they are dependent on Russian gas.

Anyway as in many situations like this, I would suggest a compromise, but I do not know what kind of compromise.
    -Stephen Fry

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

.... maybe return the statue so that the Russians may honor their fallen heros from the "Great Patriotic War."

The preferences of 300k ethnic Russians will not outvote those of the 1M ethnic Estonians. Estonia could have been more "politic" as to process, however.

I walked in front of the Dublin P.O. and saw no monument to the British soldiers who took it from the rebels in 1916. The Irish, apparently, do not feel the need for one.

There is a monument marking the burial spot of T.J. Jackson's arm which the government of the USA has not felt the need to remove.

Guess it's up to the locals.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Im sure there are lots of statues to brave english soldiers erected in Scotland and Ireland

As it happens there are.....so your point was ???????

As it happens there are.....so your point was ???????
    The ones who invaded these countries? Would Britain sanction them if they removed them? Or are you all British citizens and subject to their rule? Who exactly are the Britains nowdays anyway. Its all so confusing. As has been said earlier. Its up to the locals , and in this case they clearly didnt want the statue there any longer. They dont want to honor them and its their country. It shows who was the real god guys in WW2. Even the French havent thrown out our memorials and still honor the allied soldiers who died LIBERATING their nation. They can be thankful they werent "liberated" by the Russsians.
    Last edited by Gawain of Orkeny; 04-28-2007 at 01:17.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast