Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lands to Conquer v2.3

Asia ton Barbaron mapper Member Pharnakes's Avatar

Smile Re: Lands to Conquer v2.3

Thanks alot
    Asia ton Barbaron The new eastern mod for eb!

Laziest member of the team My red balloons, as red as the blood of he who mentioned Galatians.
    Roma Victor!

Yous ee gishes?

Member Member 5 Card Draw Champion, Mini Pool 2 Champion, Ice Hockey Champion, Mahjong Connect Champion Northnovas's Avatar

Default Re: Lands to Conquer v2.3

Quote Originally Posted by D Wilson
    I am having a little trouble with this- it plays and runs fine, except that the only place there is any sound, at all, is the thunder and wind track on the main menu. Anywhere else- nothing. Not a sound.

Any ideas what could be causing this?
    I have the same issue I do get the sound for events otherwise it is pretty quiet. Is there a file that has to be changed?

Hey I was wondering is it possible to incorporate the Ultimate AI mod (the newest one for patch v1.2) with the LtC? I know you don't have it in the v2.3 but I want to have that AI instead of the vanilla one, so I just wanted to see if its possible as I don't have a clue on modding (new to the game). Thank you. :)

Member Member 5 Card Draw Champion, Mini Pool 2 Champion, Ice Hockey Champion, Mahjong Connect Champion Northnovas's Avatar

I think I was able to resolve the issue. I just copied the MTW2/data/sound into the LTC and now appear to have all the sound during game play. It is a big file that you are duplicating.

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceUnion
    Hey I was wondering is it possible to incorporate the Ultimate AI mod (the newest one for patch v1.2) with the LtC? I know you don't have it in the v2.3 but I want to have that AI instead of the vanilla one, so I just wanted to see if its possible as I don't have a clue on modding (new to the game). Thank you. :)
    Just extract this archive into your landstoconquer folder.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showp...8&postcount=45

Regards
    Mesut aka GrandViZ

Quote Originally Posted by mesut
    Just extract this archive into your landstoconquer folder.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showp...8&postcount=45

Regards
    Mesut aka GrandViZ
    Thank you very much. :)

I had a Portuguese family member born with no name today. Well, he had the de Portugal last name or whatever you programmed in.
    That's a shame.

Village special needs person Member Kobal2fr's Avatar

I noticed you include ancillaries and traits files in your mod folder, would you care to detail what changes you made to them, if any ?
    Anything wrong ? Blame it on me. I'm the French.

blaaaaaaaaaarg! Senior Member Lusted's Avatar

None atm that's just to replace the one i had in previous versions of the mod because of the changes 1.2 makes. In future versions there will be changes to the turns required for certain ancilliaries given the change in timescale.

wow Lusted the content sounds great!! ill get it as soon my friends gets me the 1.2 patch. (takes too long for me) i promise helpful feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by Lusted
    None atm that's just to replace the one i had in previous versions of the mod because of the changes 1.2 makes. In future versions there will be changes to the turns required for certain ancilliaries given the change in timescale.
    Then you'll probably also have to tweak most of the "settement building completed" triggers to make up for the increased building times as well, methinks.

I'd been working on a 1.2 CherryVanilla traits file for the vanilla game before trying out your mod, and I really like the changes you've made both on and off the battlefield, so I'll probably end up working on them in the context of your mod to try and balance them to the new settings anyway, I'll send you the files and changelog once I'm satisfied with them if you want.

Some feedback :

- I really looooove the increased movement for agents and generals. Makes it far easier to use them, and in the case of governors to train them. Plus it's obviously historical/realistic as a lone rider is much faster than a whole army of them. The only thing is that it makes it quite harder to track down princesses to marry, but that's inevitable I guess.

- When he says that "archers have been toned up", he's not kidding. Even mere peasant archers, and even if they fire in an arc over buildings will devastate soft targets, killing up to 10 militia per volley on even ground. I swear, it's bloody murder. Longbowmen must be death incarnate :). On the down side, it means that archer duels are usually decided by who gets to shoot first, all other things being equal.

- I don't know what or how you did it, but the spacing of melee fighters is much, much less of a problem than it was in vanilla. Except in cramped streets, I've yet to witness the "everybody 5 meters apart, 3 people slugging it out in the middle" thing. Hurray !

- battle fatigue is perhaps a tad overdone. Soldiers didn't tire enough in vanilla, but now I think they tire a bit too fast and especially when they're fighting - but maybe it's done to slow down the pace of battles ?

- City and castle towers are fricking deadly as well. A mere wooden wall type 2 (the one you can use siege towers on) torched no less than 4 rams in a row, with only the two towers on each side of the gate firing at them. Which means that attacking without siege engines is a desperate move usually. Me likes.

- I liked them at first, but now I don't and use a modified version of your buildings.txt file : increased building times and costs. I can see what the intent behind them is, but I don't really like being only able to build in 1 or 2 cities in my empire at a given time. Plus a side effect of the longer build times is that it plays merry hell with both traits and ancillaries balance.

What I did was keep the walls and castles at their current costs and build times (which, combined with the upper pop thresholds, slows down tech levels enough, which I assume was the point of upping all values and durations), same for military buildings and armorers, but give "civilian" ones their original costs and build times back (or maybe 1.5x the cost, to account for the increased cash flow. But 1000 for dirt roads is definitely too much.).
    This should keep technology levels at their current slow pace, but allow your cities and gov to do something with their time. I just switched over to this so further testing is needed on my part obviously.

- Unrest is maybe a tad too high. Dunno if it's religious unrest or distance to capital, but unless you slaughter the target city, crusade conquests are almost impossible to hold and revolt instantly unless you make them your capital (and then it's your homelands that revolt :) ).

- Love the rebalanced economic model.
    Last edited by Kobal2fr; 05-30-2007 at 20:21.

practitioner of Съ Нами Богъ Member phunkbot's Avatar

hey,

again great work Lusted, you deliver as expected

i love archers its just so much better right now, if only there was a way to get them to shoot at the peeps i want them to without that much hassle it would be awesome.... man if the timing gets going for you that last crossbow volley can decimate any charge coming at you

I am also getting nameless princesses and family members, i also got this wierd wierd thing about Manage all cities getting suddenly turned off after 20-30 turns into a camplaign, happened with Scotts and Portugal already.... meh, i can live with that

also, i had a couple of merchants just dissapear, they just vanished from timbuktu with no reason whatsoever... reloaded a slightly earlier save and they are there and some 10 turns or so after that .... i turned fow off and saw no assassins or anything, not sure what happened there

i dont know if i got a bad installation or anything, should i unpack my game?
    Last edited by phunkbot; 05-31-2007 at 13:30.

- When he says that "archers have been toned up", he's not kidding. Even mere peasant archers, and even if they fire in an arc over buildings will devastate soft targets, killing up to 10 militia per volley on even ground. I swear, it's bloody murder. Longbowmen must be death incarnate :). On the down side, it means that archer duels are usually decided by who gets to shoot first, all other things being equal.
    They're being toned down in the next version.

- battle fatigue is perhaps a tad overdone. Soldiers didn't tire enough in vanilla, but now I think they tire a bit too fast and especially when they're fighting - but maybe it's done to slow down the pace of battles ?
    It's just cause movement speed over all terrain types has been reduced slightly.

- City and castle towers are fricking deadly as well. A mere wooden wall type 2 (the one you can use siege towers on) torched no less than 4 rams in a row, with only the two towers on each side of the gate firing at them. Which means that attacking without siege engines is a desperate move usually. Me likes.
    That's because of the improved arrows.

- I liked them at first, but now I don't and use a modified version of your buildings.txt file : increased building times and costs. I can see what the intent behind them is, but I don't really like being only able to build in 1 or 2 cities in my empire at a given time. Plus a side effect of the longer build times is that it plays merry hell with both traits and ancillaries balance.
    What im aiming for the next version is more of an emphasis on the differences between cities and castles. So castle military buildings will be much cheaper than their city counterparts, and the low level barracks/stables/ranges in castles will be quick to produce. Also tax income is being redone a bit so the market line of buildings is more valuable.

Also expect to see an announcement relating to the next LTC in a few days or so.

Agreed, archers need toning down. I tried a campaign as the English, just for kicks and giggles. Can anyone say "machinegun of cheese" ? Even firing at inf hidden behind their crenels are doomed when facing these lads.

On an odd note, crossbows don't seem to be affected by this, or much less. Could be because of their slower shooting ?

Quote Originally Posted by Lusted
    What im aiming for the next version is more of an emphasis on the differences between cities and castles. So castle military buildings will be much cheaper than their city counterparts, and the low level barracks/stables/ranges in castles will be quick to produce. Also tax income is being redone a bit so the market line of buildings is more valuable.

Also expect to see an announcement relating to the next LTC in a few days or so.
    Won't that make distance to capital/unrest even more of a problem ? Correct me if I'm wrong but from what I understand of your work, you've considerably toned up the law bonus given by walls, barracks, and most importantly town halls, and made those more expensive as well (well, except for barracks, but you've already adressed that), which coupled with the increased unrest, corruption etc... leads me to assume you want to make conquests very costly affairs, rather than the pushover they are in vanilla ; and only profitable on a mid-term basis because you have to finish all those order buildings before you start thinking about the cash boosting ones.

Yet with even the most basic town hall taking 4 turns to build, it's impossible to build them on a crusade before the city revolts, and that's even with 80% order from the army, and the chiv/loyalty bonus from a Grand Crusader gov. If you make barracks take longer to build as well...
    Unless the whole point is to "force" crusaders to exterminate in the Middle East, in which case I'll stand corrected.

I think a good balance for town halls would be 2 turns (as in vanilla) and same 4000 price, making those far flung conquests just as costly yet manageable. The increased barrack build time will offset the difference.

I have the same problem with the market line, more specifically the grain exchange : as of now, it's a must-have building if you ever intend to put a governor in, since without it they get huge penalties to trade over time. But if it takes 3 turns to build + 2000 florins, it's problematic in the early stages of the campaign when 2000 is a whole lot and you *need* those Good Taxmen to get a fledgling economy going.

Of course, deleting the bad taxman trigger (or making it 5/10% instead of 100%) would solve that problem, but that's only the visible part of the iceberg : longer build times across the board mean good traits/ancils triggers happen a lot less often as 80% of them check for building completion, while most bad traits are triggered every turn. Balancing all that tripe would be a lot of work, and I find my edited version of your buildings.txt works well enough that I don't need to rewrite the whole vnv code from scratch .

Yet with even the most basic town hall taking 4 turns to build, it's impossible to build them on a crusade before the city revolts, and that's even with 80% order from the army, and the chiv/loyalty bonus from a Grand Crusader gov. If you make barracks take longer to build as well...
    City barrack construction times won't be effected, just castle barracks low level ones will take less time to build, and higher level ones slightly longer so the entire line of barracks takes the same amount of time to build as in 2.3.

I have the same problem with the market line, more specifically the grain exchange : as of now, it's a must-have building if you ever intend to put a governor in, since without it they get huge penalties to trade over time. But if it takes 3 turns to build + 2000 florins, it's problematic in the early stages of the campaign when 2000 is a whole lot and you *need* those Good Taxmen to get a fledgling economy going.
    The market line is going to get a boost to its trade income so to make the outlay more reasonable.

I like the mod but im sufferring numerous CTD's always in battle also. Its a clean install patched to 1.2 so I can't blame myself for a faulty install. It just says Medieval total war has encountered an unspecified error and will now quit. Idk sad i really want to play this mod!

It's not caused by mod, i can say that for certain.

EDIT: have you unpacked the data files?

I used the installer provided by the download, I don't see what your talking about with the data files I can't find a readme file either. The battles start even allow some deployment but about 20 seconds later I get the crash and the message.

Have you run the unpacker? The readme for my mod is in the installer.

Also:

MWUHAHAHA!!!

Expect announcement of a change of plan for LTC and a preview within a few days.
    Last edited by Lusted; 06-01-2007 at 13:14.

Sounds like some great updates are coming! Any chance of adding more territories or do we need to add something like the Big Map mod for that? Assuming it works with LtC.

Atm no plan for new territories on the main map yet.

The hundred years war minicampaign will be zoomed in though right? It won't be just a small section of the normal map, like in the custom campaigns mod I hope.

The hundred years war minicampaign will be zoomed in though right? It won't be just a small section of the normal map, like in the custom campaigns mod I hope.
    Wait and see.

Just a small heads up :

I just found out that your descr_campaign_db.xml doesn't include the 1.2 lines

<inquisitor_turn_start uint="20"/>
    <inquisitor_target_crusades bool="false"/>

meaning that inquisitors can still bounce crusade leaders in LTC 2.3 (well, with even less than 1.2 inqui efficiency, so very very limited, but still). Is that intentionnal ?

EDIT : lines

<inquisitor_target_leaders bool="false"/>
    <inquisitor_target_heirs bool="false"/>

are also missing further down the file
    Last edited by Kobal2fr; 06-04-2007 at 07:18.

Yup i know, that'll be fixed in 1.2. It's one of those things that got changed between leaked 1.2 and official i think.

It's me again, with another detail (but come on... give me some real huge glaring bugs to find already, I'm sick of these small pickings ) : The 3 starting Polish family members lack ReligionStarter 1 in descr_strat.txt

Love the LTC mod. Encountering a problem with the game crashing when I hit the hourglass to start a new turn.

The AI animation plays out then crashes to desktop. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

(Year is 1299 incidentally, playing the Egyptians. Have repelled two crusades and wiped out the Mongols twice as well. Now working my way up through the Balkans. Bugger if I can't finish this campaign...)

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Please disregard my previous post.

I read in the LTC v2.3 bugs thread that others have been having the same problem, (something to to with Portugal's character names) and that v3.0 should fix.

Cheers.

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've been playing a campaign with the mod and there are one or two things that could do with fixing; whether they are the mod or the game engine I don't know:

It seems the AI likes to attack castles / towns as soon as it has one ladder, one siege tower and a ram. The tower dies, the ram takes the gates and the ladders get one attacking unit routed from the walls. Sometimes ballistas and catapults mobilise up to the walls.

The AI needs more equipment before assaulting. Siege for an extra turn?
    Is it possible to stop the rest of the army standing in range?

If one misses the alliance-fest at the start of the game no one never seems to be friendly - even defending against catholic aggression will upset the aggressor's mates if you win. And will the AI every cease to fight a war? Not that I've seen.

Could the map be expanded so more fights occur in the open as opposed to generally being siege driven (which the AI is pretty poor at)?

I find castle walls and city walls to be quite similar. Sure, there is the extra layer of walls in the castle, but perhaps it is my inability to know how to make use of this properly. I find that everyone manning the outer walls works. This might be different if the AI had a proper siege train to reduce towers and smash several holes in the outer wall, creating a need for a secondary line of defence.

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast