Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Young girl prevented from leaving the country for an abortion

L'Etranger Senior Member Banquo's Ghost's Avatar
    Hunting the Snark, a long way from Tipperary...

Default Young girl prevented from leaving the country for an abortion

We usually have our discussions on abortion policy in the US context - which might fairly be described as being at the extreme pro-choice end of the spectrum.

Here in God's good Catholic Ireland, we may fairly be described as being at the other end.

Here's a lovely example to wrangle over.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Girl seeking abortion challenges HSE

A 17-year-old girl who is four months pregnant and whose child cannot survive outside the womb has gone to the High Court to challenge a decision by the Health Service Executive to stop her leaving the State for an abortion.

The girl is in the care of the HSE and is challenging its decision to contact gardaí and not to let her travel for the abortion unless she presented as a suicide risk.

The girl, known only as Miss D, is from the Leinster area.

She found out a week ago that her baby has a condition called anencephaly, which means the baby's brain is not developing properly.

The condition means the child will live a very short time, if at all, after it is born.

After hearing this news, the girl made a decision to travel to the UK for a termination but the HSE asked gardaí not to permit her to leave the jurisdiction.

The High Court was told an order was made in the district court in February putting the girl into the care of the HSE because of the conduct of her mother towards her.

The court heard her father was 'absent from her life'.

She is challenging the district court order in so far as it restricts her leaving the State.

She is also challenging the HSE's decision to ask gardaí to stop her and she is challenging the HSE's decision to refuse to let her travel to terminate the pregnancy unless there was a risk she would commit suicide.

Mr Justice Liam McKechnie ordered that the HSE and the State be notified of the girl's application and the case has been listed for mention tomorrow morning.

See how much fun it is when the state tells you what to do with your body?
    "If there is a sin against life, it consists not so much in despairing as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this one."
    Albert Camus "Noces"

Default Re: Young girl prevented from leaving the country for an abortion

I wonder how long they will drag out the case through the courts this time .

Dyslexic agnostic insomniac Senior Member Goofball's Avatar

Maybe she should have thought about this possible problem before she decided to have sex.

I mean, if you are not willing to carry a baby in your belly for four months, become emotionally attached to it, then be told it's going to die when it's born, then have to carry it for another 5 months, then risk your life giving birth, then watch your baby die, then you really don't deserve to be having sex in the first place.

Silly little hussy...
    "What, have Canadians run out of guns to steal from other Canadians and now need to piss all over our glee?"

- TSM

Quote Originally Posted by Banquo's Ghost
    We usually have our discussions on abortion policy in the US context - which might fairly be described as being at the extreme pro-choice end of the spectrum.

In this specific case it is. I'd approve of an abortion for something like this.

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

That is truly dispicable

Could you give some more background info? Like, on what formal grounds are they refusing her to leave the country? Are you obligated to state your reason for temporarily leaving Ireland?

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Banquo's Ghost
    She's not an adult.
    Her parents obviously haven't had her best intentions at heart when she was put into state care.
    So I think this is to specific a scenario.
    In the general sense the state has a duty of care to a citizen and a citizen has liberties. Liberties are rights within the law... so if the law of the land is bad, change them.

The HSE are the guardians of her... which then raises the question how she got pregnant under their auspice? Can she sue them for lack of duty of care.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tribesman
    I wonder how long they will drag out the case through the courts this time .
    36-40 weeks.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

American since 2012 Senior Member AntiochusIII's Avatar

I'd be amused in a this-world-is-sad kind of way if the courts of Ireland will drag the case so long that the girl died giving birth or something.

Abortion abominagination!

Quote Originally Posted by Papewaio
    The HSE are the guardians of her... which then raises the question how she got pregnant under their auspice? Can she sue them for lack of duty of care.
    If they tried stopping her from having sex, they should have been sued...
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Errrrr... isn't THIS the most important factor, which none of you cared to take into account when pronouncing your verdicts - especially against the girl ? :
    Quote Originally Posted by The Article
    She found out a week ago that her baby has a condition called anencephaly, which means the baby's brain is not developing properly.
    The condition means the child will live a very short time, if at all, after it is born.
    I would say that makes all the difference in the world - regardless of the state's wishes...
    Therapy helps, but screaming obscenities is cheaper.

American since 2012 Senior Member AntiochusIII's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blodrast
    Errrrr... isn't THIS the most important factor, which none of you cared to take into account when pronouncing your verdicts - especially against the girl ? :
    I'd say all of us know that actually, hence why those usually anti-abortion supports this case as well as my own vitriolic comment about the situation.

so if the law of the land is bad, change them.
    Its been tried and tried , unless it can be proved that the woman is going to commit suicide or is going to die there is no case The fetus under the law has an equal right as the mother has .
    A threat to the health of the mother or possible child is not a case , only a direct and provable threat to the mothers life overides the other .

The HSE are the guardians of her... which then raises the question how she got pregnant under their auspice?
    She is 4 months pregnant and under HSE care for 2 months .

Master Procrastinator Member TevashSzat's Avatar

Well, if she is that desperate, why don't she start acting suicidal.

Seriously though, that is kinda arbitrary refusing an abortion for a baby that will die regardless and which may prove to be a health hazard for the mother
    "I do not know what I may appear to the world; but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me." - Issac Newton

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Sounds to me like the child is already irrevocably brain dead and has no hope of survival outside the womb. At that point, it seems silly to keep up the charade.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Its been tried and tried , unless it can be proved that the woman is going to commit suicide or is going to die there is no case The fetus under the law has an equal right as the mother has .
    A threat to the health of the mother or possible child is not a case , only a direct and provable threat to the mothers life overides the other .
    Is it a 'possible child' if it has no brain?

She is 4 months pregnant and under HSE care for 2 months .
    Fair enough, HSE is left having to go by the way of the law of the land I presume... I assume they can't just decide not to... or do they have some ability to decide on a case by case basis on what is best for their charge?
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Well, this is really tricky.

I'm almost tempted to come out and say she should have the abortion but as Tribes pointed out the fetus has equal rights to the mother (as it should be) so I think we need to find an analogous state in a child or even an adult and compare.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Thread killer Member Rodion Romanovich's Avatar

Damn, if the fetus have equal rights to the mother, I should have sued for being involuntarily kept in confined space for 9 months!
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

This is the definition of the term 'exercise in futility'.

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Philipvs Vallindervs Calicvla
    Well, this is really tricky.

I'm almost tempted to come out and say she should have the abortion but as Tribes pointed out the fetus has equal rights to the mother (as it should be) so I think we need to find an analogous state in a child or even an adult and compare.
    It is non viable tissue, with no hope of becoming a human bieng. It should have no rights whatsoever.

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

Any of you people see pictures of what children with it look like?

Lesbian Rebel Member Mikeus Caesar's Avatar

I personally find this to be a disgusting violation of her human rights, for all the pro reasons stated above by countless people.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Fox
    Any of you people see pictures of what children with it look like?
    Fire away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranika
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

I don't want to look at them again, just google the term. Like the top of their heads have been caved in.

Medical Welshman in London. Senior Member Big King Sanctaphrax's Avatar
    Cardiff in the summer, London during term time.

A lot of you have probably seen it before, anyway. Remember Nepalese frog-baby? The one in the dish? There was a thread on it here a while back.

Anyway, that baby had anencephaly.
    Co-Lord of BKS and Beirut's Kingdom of Peace and Love.

"Handsome features, rugged exteriors, intellectual chick magnets, we're pretty much twins."-Beirut

"Rhy, where's your helicopter now? Where's your ******* helicopter now?"-Mephistopheles.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Fox
    I don't want to look at them again, just google the term. Like the top of their heads have been caved in.
    The tops of their heads were apparently never there to begin with.
    Requesting suggestions for new sig.

-><- GOGOGO GOGOGO WINLAND WINLAND ALL HAIL TECHNOVIKING!SCHUMACHER!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WHY AM I NOT BEING PAID FOR THIS???

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Well, thankyou for enlightening me.

I vote for an abortion as well then.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Bringing down the vulgaroisie Member King Henry V's Avatar

Despite my usual anti-abortion stance, I believe in this case an abortion should be performed for medical reasons, which just goes to show that abortions should be decided on a case-by-case study and not some blanket proclamation in favour or against abortion.
    www.thechap.net
    "We were not born into this world to be happy, but to do our duty." Bismarck
    "You can't be a successful Dictator and design women's underclothing. One or the other. Not both." The Right Hon. Bertram Wilberforce Wooster
    "Man, being reasonable, must get drunk; the best of life is but intoxication" - Lord Byron
    "Where men are forbidden to honour a king they honour millionaires, athletes, or film-stars instead: even famous prostitutes or gangsters. For spiritual nature, like bodily nature, will be served; deny it food and it will gobble poison." - C. S. Lewis

Friend of Lady Luck Member Mooks's Avatar

My curiosity was piqued, so I googled it. The babies are like something out of a horror movie. I would kill myself if I looked like that, without a second thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furunculus View Post
    i love the idea that angsty-teens can get so spazzed out by computer games that they try to rage-rape themselves with a remote.

RIP Tosa, my trolling end now Senior Member Devastatin Dave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by King Henry V
    Despite my usual anti-abortion stance, I believe in this case an abortion should be performed for medical reasons, which just goes to show that abortions should be decided on a case-by-case study and not some blanket proclamation in favour or against abortion.
    I agree, sometimes common sense should trump "law".
    RIP Tosa

Dyslexic agnostic insomniac Senior Member Goofball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by King Henry V
    Decided by whom, exactly, on a "case by case" basis?
    "What, have Canadians run out of guns to steal from other Canadians and now need to piss all over our glee?"

- TSM

The court also heard that the girl was told a court order had been granted preventing her travelling when she was taken to see a psychiatrist by the HSE. No such order existed.

This morning, the court was told that garda&#237; informed the HSE last week they had no power to stop the girl leaving the State for an abortion.

The High Court also heard this morning that the garda&#237; did not intend to try to stop her without a court order.

Mr Fitzsimons said the HSE wrote to garda&#237; on 26 April to ask them to prevent the girl from travelling.

Garda&#237; wrote back the same day, and told the executive that they would not and could not stop the girl without a court order.
    So, realising there was feck all they could do about it, the HSE just lied to her to stop her going and then blamed the Garda&#237;. Classic.

Linky

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast