Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: to size it up

ha ha your not a Member Caeser The III's Avatar
    in the middle of nowhere O_o(you can call it Rome)

Wink to size it up

ok, so like, what u people are tellin me, lets say i train a unit of Hastati in Segesta( i have unit size at large) will it add 80 poeple to Segesta?????
    Last edited by Caeser The III; 05-05-2007 at 04:06.
    old name was:Ilikethisgame5
    if you die on a elevator,make sure to press up

Default Re: to size it up

two more things, how do i unlock the othere countries after the one i got after the romans.2. how do i like egt my troops on the bottem no commandes and the map in the top right corner????also look this uptriariipilum
    Last edited by Caeser The III; 05-05-2007 at 04:19.

Use the edit button next time.

ok, so like, what u people are tellin me, lets say i train a unit of Hastati in Segesta( i have unit size at large) will it add 80 poeple to Segesta?????
    If you train a unit of 80 troops, the population will decrease by 80. This shows the men needed in the unit.

how do i unlock the othere countries after the one i got after the romans.
    If you want to unlock the either factions, you can either:
    1) Beat the game on short or long campaign as one of the Roman factions.
    2) Unlock the other factions. There should be a guide around here to figure that out.

2. how do i like egt my troops on the bottem no commandes and the map in the top right corner???
    Go to preferences folder, and open the preferences.txt
    Code:
    MINIMAL_UI:FALSE
    Find that line, and change it to this:
    Code:
    MINIMAL_UI:TRUE

Good luck and cheers,
    RM3

wheres the prefrances option????

^ you edit the line Roman_Man#3 told you to edit in Preferences.txt

Like he said, it's found in the Preferences folder of your game directory.

If you installed it in the default path, and you don't have Gold Edition, it would be in:

C:/Program Files/Activision/Rome - Total War/preferences/preferences.txt
    before you ask a RTW modding question make sure you have done these things:

1. At least read these two stickies in the Modding Questions forum: Introduction and Welcome
    2. used the search function (upper right corner of your screen) to know if your Q has been asked before.
    3. browsed the Modding Answers subforum, and the Scriptorium.

say it in human form please

I stole it from a stupid Iceni Member Shieldmaiden's Avatar

say it in human form please
    Being rude will not help you.

^ you edit the line Roman_Man#3 told you to edit in Preferences.txt

Like he said, it's found in the Preferences folder of your game directory.

If you installed it in the default path, and you don't have Gold Edition, it would be in:

C:/Program Files/Activision/Rome - Total War/preferences/preferences.txt
    You have been told precisely how. Twice. Reading that will help you.
    "Now, once more I must ride with my knights, to defend what was and the dream of what could be..."

- King Arthur, Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by ilikethisgame5

Here is how you would do it.

Take for instance a city with a good size population that you actually wish to reduce population, and don't need to concern yourself with adding troops. A Huge City with a population of 40,000 may be a priority to do just that.

Lets keep it simple, and say that you have Patavium with a population of 14,000 and you have upgraded to "large city", but are in no hurry to get it to Huge City. You want to increase population at Segestica, ok. Go into your recruiting que at Patavium, and train up 1unit of peasants, probably 120 soldiers. If Segestica needs say, 3,500 to reach the next level, and you wish, you may go ahead and que up a lot of units of peasants.

End turn.

Next turn, you will see one unit of your peasants at Patavium. Select them, and send them into Segestica, or wherever it is you want to increase your population. Once they are inside the city, right click on the peasant's unit card, and a page describing them will come up.

There will be an icon on the lower left of the page, "disband unit", or "discharge unit." Left click on that, and you will hear the sound of boots coming to attention, and the peasant's unit card will disappear. You will have successfully discharged the peasants into Segestica, and the population will have increased by 120.

Do that as often as you need. I'd also suggest that you recruit these peasants from "high loyalty" settlements as they may be less inclined to bring their negative "baggage" to another city to revolt there.

There have been times in which I've trained up a full stack of peasants, moved them to 2 or 3 adjacent cities and discharged them inside raising the population of each city enough to upgrade the city.

On the other hand, if you recruit a lot of peasants from a city which is usually one step from rebellion, such as Cordorba perhaps, they may stir up trouble at the city you send them to. I could be wrong on that last part, but it may be worth examining the possibilities. Cordoba is so volatile that I doubt it's value in holding.

Strength and Honor

Celt Centurion

How to Edit Preferences to Enable Old-Style User Interface a.k.a. "how do i like egt my troops on the bottem no commandes and the map in the top right corner????"
    If you have Windows XP installed, and installed Rome: Total War in its default path:

Click on My Computer.

This will open the My Computer window.

Click on the Hard Disk Drive entitled C:

This will open the contents of C: directory.

Click on the folder titled Program Files.

This will open the contents of C:/Program Files/

Click on the folder titled Activision.

This will open the contents of C:/Program Files/Activision

Click on the folder titled Rome - Total War.

This will open the contents of C:/Program Files/Activision/Rome - Total War

Click on the folder titled Preferences.

This will open the contents of C:/Program Files/Activision/Rome - Total War/Preferences

Click on the text file titled Preferences.

This will open the text data in Preferences.txt

Press and hold the Control Key (labeled Ctrl), and while the Ctrl key is still pressed, press the F key. Once this is done, stop pressing the Control and F keys.

This will bring up the search function.

Type in minimal_ui and press the Enter key (It may be labeled Return, do not be confused by this.)

This will search for the text "minimal_ui" in the preferences.txt file.

Click on the cancel button on the Find popup.

This will get rid of the search function's Find Popup.

Replace MINIMAL_UI:FALSE with MINIMAL_UI:TRUE This can be done in different ways. Do not be ashamed to get an adult to help you, if you can't.

This will change the value MINIMAL_UI from False to True.

Press and hold the Control Key (labeled Ctrl), and while the Ctrl key is still pressed, press the S key. Once this is done, stop pressing the Control and S keys.

This will save preferences.txt and next time you play Rome: Total War, you will enjoy "egt my troops on the bottem no commandes and the map in the top right corner"

The End.

Note: You may have to Double Click instead of Click, depending on your Windows Preferences.

@ilikethisgame5: If I have not met your expectations, I will try to "say it in human form" more.

edit: yeah, guineawolf, apparently it's necessary.
    Last edited by Kuni; 05-06-2007 at 13:35.
    before you ask a RTW modding question make sure you have done these things:

1. At least read these two stickies in the Modding Questions forum: Introduction and Welcome
    2. used the search function (upper right corner of your screen) to know if your Q has been asked before.
    3. browsed the Modding Answers subforum, and the Scriptorium.

is this necessary?

and...human form?????
    Last edited by guineawolf; 05-12-2007 at 12:59.
    In all warfare,speed is the key!

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

guineawolf:Look at the Kuni post edit.

Also, this thread should be closed.The Guild Rules.
    Last edited by Caius; 05-06-2007 at 18:42.

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    But when all is said and done
    It's you I love

i have somtin cool to tell you guys about Carthage(a tip)here it goes:=when yourCarthage apollnia i believe it is on the island of sicily, recruit a diplomat, end the turn,make the diplomat go to That real big town (i forgot wats its called)make a allince.then give them corodoba for a gift end the turn, Corodoba will become yours again and you have a whole bunch of units in the town free about 10 of em(good deal!)

Quote Originally Posted by Kuni
    How to Edit Preferences to Enable Old-Style User Interface a.k.a. "how do i like egt my troops on the bottem no commandes and the map in the top right corner????"
    If you have Windows XP installed, and installed Rome: Total War in its default path:

Click on My Computer.

This will open the My Computer window.

Click on the Hard Disk Drive entitled C:

This will open the contents of C: directory.

Click on the folder titled Program Files.

This will open the contents of C:/Program Files/

Click on the folder titled Activision.

This will open the contents of C:/Program Files/Activision

Click on the folder titled Rome - Total War.

This will open the contents of C:/Program Files/Activision/Rome - Total War

Click on the folder titled Preferences.

This will open the contents of C:/Program Files/Activision/Rome - Total War/Preferences

Press and hold the Control Key (labeled Ctrl), and while the Ctrl key is still pressed, press the F key. Once this is done, stop pressing the Control and F keys.

This will bring up the search function.

Type in minimal_ui and press the Enter key (It may be labeled Return, do not be confused by this.)

This will search for the text "minimal_ui" in the preferences.txt file.

Click on the cancel button on the Find popup.

This will get rid of the search function's Find Popup.

Replace MINIMAL_UI:FALSE with MINIMAL_UI:TRUE This can be done in different ways. Do not be ashamed to get an adult to help you, if you can't.

This will change the value MINIMAL_UI from False to True.

Press and hold the Control Key (labeled Ctrl), and while the Ctrl key is still pressed, press the S key. Once this is done, stop pressing the Control and S keys.

This will save preferences.txt and next time you play Rome: Total War, you will enjoy "egt my troops on the bottem no commandes and the map in the top right corner"

The End.

Note: You may have to Double Click instead of Click, depending on your Windows Preferences.

@ilikethisgame5: If I have not met your expectations, I will try to "say it in human form" more.

edit: yeah, guineawolf, apparently it's necessary.
    on step 6 i clicked on preferences after that the icon says advice???/

That clearly states what you need to do after opening the folder!! Read all the instructions

RM3

oh............so theres not two preferences icons to click on, only one?

in the "Preferences" FOLDER, open preferences.txt and proceed with his very in-depth guide.

RM3

i did that!typed in minimal_ui but is said"can not find minimal_ui"!

the oats that are mighty Member mightilyoats's Avatar

Meh... Dude, I really don't know what to say... Maybe leave the game alone. Play it like CA distributed it.

@Celt Centurion An interresting thing I noticed on increasing the pop in a town. You don't need to place the unit inside the town. It only needs to be within the borders of the region you wish to increase. So, just move them into the region, select all units (or the ones you want to disband) then press ctrl-D.
    S-U-C-E-S! That's the way you spell... suces?

Post Re: to size it up

Hi ilikethisgame5,
    Let's skip the search function. In your taskbar, in Windows Explorer, the program that opens when you click on "My Computer" type in the upper white bar either "C:\Program Files\The Creative Assembly\Rome - Total War\preference\preferences.txt" should you have Gold edition or "C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\preference\preference.txt" should you have normal edition, non-Gold.

In the great file which opens up you will find many amazing options which can change many aspects of your R:TW playing experience. If you wish to change an option change TRUE to FALSE in the files and the option will be changed for something else. However you do have to bear in mind that some settings do not change like that and change differently - yet those settings can often be changed elsewhere so they are not really needed in the file. Here is a short guide which hopefully explains what each one of these great functions, or at least the ones that stupid old me understands, does:

SUBTITLES - creates subtitles for general's pre-battle speeches and the messages shouted out during the cut-scenes.
    MORALE - turns morale on or off for non-arcade battles (for arcade battles this is off automatically).
    FATIGUE - turns fatigue, whether men tire or not, on or off for non-arcade battles (for arcade battles this is off automatically).
    LIMITED_AMMO - turns unlimited ammunition on or off for non-arcade battles (for arcade battle this is off automatically).
    EVENT_CUTSCENES - turns the event cut scenes which occur when a general has died or a wall has been broken down.
    VEGETATION - turns vegetation on the battlefield on or off.
    AUTO_SAVE - turns auto save on or off.
    SHOW_BANNERS - hides or shows the huge flying banners over the top of units.
    UNIT_EXPERIENCE_UPGRADE_EFFECT - turns unit experience increases or armour upgrades on or off.
    ENABLE_UNIT_SPEECH - stops or allows units from speaking when you order them to move or select them.
    DISABLE_ARROW_MARKERS - when set to TRUE, the green arrows underneath units when selected are turned off.
    LABEL_CHARACTERS - when set to TRUE it enables all characters to have their name shown on the strategic map like settlements are by default.
    LABEL_SETTLEMENTS - toggles whether settlement's names and other basic details, such as happiness, status (such as rioting, plague and siege) and settlement income, are shown underneath the settlement on the strat map.
    MINIMAL_UI - this is the great one you are looking for! It hides the large UI of the battle map and makes it more compact.
    MUTE_ADVISOR - in effect this does what we always have wanted to do - it gags that irritating advisor woman - Victoria - and her evil twin Brother - Centurion Marcus - and causes them to be totally silent.
    BLIND_ADVISOR - this handy tool removes the advisor's speech bubble from appearing when he/she wants to speak.
    MICROMANAGE_ALL_SETTLEMENTS - this turns of auto-manage for settlements without a governor.
    UNLIMITED_MEN_ON_BATTLEFIELD - this allows an unlimited amount of men on the battlefield at once - no longer do units have to wait their turn to fight with this great tool on TRUE!
    CAMPAIGN_MAP_CAMERA_SMOOTHING - this makes the campaign map camera move nice and smoothly.
    EDIT_SETTLEMENT_NAMES - this allows you to rename your settlements. It's a really cool tool - for example I once renamed Capua after my favourite Carthaginian general. This one is my personal favourite.

Hope this helps you ilikethisgame5, cheers!

BTW, you need R:TW 1.5 to do this correctly. For more information on the patching process, just ask.
    Last edited by Omanes Alexandrapolites; 05-11-2007 at 19:04.
    Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go back to bed

omanes, ive noticed you have yet another avatar.PS.i have my own signature now

Quote Originally Posted by mightilyoats
    Meh... Dude, I really don't know what to say... Maybe leave the game alone. Play it like CA distributed it.

@Celt Centurion An interresting thing I noticed on increasing the pop in a town. You don't need to place the unit inside the town. It only needs to be within the borders of the region you wish to increase. So, just move them into the region, select all units (or the ones you want to disband) then press ctrl-D.
    Thank You Mightilyoats. I didn't know that.

Strength and Honor

Celt Centurion

Yep I most certainly do, it's of my favourite M:TW Byzantine General who is an eight-star, nine-dread, six aumen, killing machine. Yet then again, he is of Byzantine (Commenus) Royal Blood which causes him to be born with stats similar to these, so really he cheated his way up to those levels.

BTW, your signature isn't to bad.
    Last edited by Omanes Alexandrapolites; 05-11-2007 at 19:11.

how do i mod???

Hi ilikethisgame5,
    Quote Originally Posted by ilikethisgame5
    how do i mod???
    Modding (from the verb mod) is a very wide range of things that you can do to your game. You can gain more information in the Scriptorum or by asking modding questions in the Modding Questions forum. Hope this helps, cheers!
    Last edited by Omanes Alexandrapolites; 05-10-2007 at 07:24.

whats this guy trying to do?

Please may I request civility within this matter. Although ilikethisgame5 may have been offensive to those who tried to help him, it is often better to treat the matter with neutrality, often ignoring it publicly, showing no bias on the matter, to prevent flame wars or similar large problems from arising out of a quite small and reasonably un-problematic incidents. Instead of publicly reacting to their provocations, pressing the button next to the offending post, should, hopefully, bring the moderators in to deal with any problems.
    Last edited by Omanes Alexandrapolites; 05-11-2007 at 19:10.

Nur-ad-Din Forum Administrator TosaInu's Avatar

Ja mata

TosaInu

Just your average Senior Member Warmaster Horus's Avatar
    Besancon, France: a stepping stone to greatness. I hope.

Omanes, you also forgot to mention the need for a lot of patience...
    The Throne Room: "Less a forum, more a way of life." Econ21
    Don't hesitate to visit the Mead Hall! A little more reading, a little less shouting, please.
    Join the latest greatest installement of mafia games: Capo di Tutti Capi!
    Check out the Gahzette!
    By the by, are you interested in helping out the Gahzette? Think you could be a writer, reporting on the TW or Org community? Then check the Gahzette Thread or drop me a PM!

Back.

Quote Originally Posted by Roman_Man#3
    in the "Preferences" FOLDER, open preferences.txt and proceed with his very in-depth guide.

RM3

my preference.text is beside preference folder not inside it,it is inside Rome:Total War folder............,is he reach it yet?
    Last edited by guineawolf; 05-12-2007 at 13:07.

me also cannot find minimal_ui too,and my RTW is version 1.1,is it relevant?

i think i show the content of my preference.text will be help...here it is:
    SAFE_REFRESH:TRUE
    USE_TRIPLE_BUFFER:TRUE
    USE_WIDESCREEN:FALSE
    SUBTITLES:TRUE
    MORALE:TRUE
    FATIGUE:TRUE
    LIMITED_AMMO:TRUE
    SUPPLY:TRUE
    FOG_OF_WAR:TRUE
    RESTRICT_CAMERA:TRUE
    DEFAULT_BATTLE_CAMERA:RTS
    SMOKE:FALSE
    DESYNC:FALSE
    SPLASHES:TRUE
    GLINTS:FALSE
    REFLECTIONS:TRUE
    SHADOWS:FALSE
    VEGETATION:TRUE
    DETAILED_UNIT_SHADOWS:FALSE
    GLOSS_MAPPING:TRUE
    STENCIL_SHADOWS:FALSE
    MULTI_TEXTURE:TRUE
    AUTO_SAVE:TRUE
    SHOW_BANNERS:TRUE
    UNIT_SIZE:160
    MASTER_VOL:100
    SPEECH_VOL:100
    SFX_VOL:100
    MUSIC_VOL:65
    CAMERA_ROTATE:50
    CAMERA_MOVE:50
    CAMERA_FOV:75.000000
    ENABLE_AUDIO:TRUE
    ENABLE_MUSIC:TRUE
    DISABLE_BACKGROUND_FMV:FALSE
    DISABLE_ARROW_MARKERS:FALSE
    AUDIO_3D_PROVIDER:Miles Fast 2D Positional Audio
    CLOUD_TRANSITIONS:TRUE
    GRASS_DISTANCE:20
    AA_QUALITY:AA_OFF
    STRATEGY_RESOLUTION:1440x900
    STRATEGY_32_BIT:TRUE
    BATTLE_RESOLUTION:1440x900
    BATTLE_32_BIT:TRUE
    UNIT_DETAIL:HIGH
    BUILDING_DETAIL:LOW
    TGA_CAPTURE_WIDTH:1024
    TGA_CAPTURE_ASPECT:1.333333
    TGA_CAPTURE_INPUT_SCALE:1
    TGA_CAPTURE_RESERVE_SPACE:FALSE
    LABEL_CHARACTERS:FALSE
    LABEL_SETTLEMENTS:TRUE
    CAMPAIGN_MAP_MAX_SCROLL_SPEED_MIN_ZOOM:30
    CAMPAIGN_MAP_MAX_SCROLL_SPEED_MAX_ZOOM:30
    FIRST_TIME_PLAY:FALSE
    ADVISOR_VERBOSITY:3
    MUTE_ADVISOR:FALSE
    BLIND_ADVISOR:FALSE
    CAMPAIGN_MAP_CAMERA:SKIP_AI_FACTIONS
    CAMPAIGN_MAP_SPEED_UP:FALSE
    CAMPAIGN_MAP_GAME_SPEED:50
    DISABLE_EVENTS:0
    MICROMANAGE_ALL_SETTLEMENTS:TRUE
    ADVANCED_STATS_ALWAYS:TRUE
    UNIT_USE_SHADERS:TRUE
    TERRAIN_QUALITY:HIGH
    EFFECT_QUALITY:MEDIUM
    VEGETATION_QUALITY:MEDIUM
    KEYSET:0
    UNLIMITED_MEN_ON_BATTLEFIELD:FALSE

i got a question to ask too,what will happen if i change UNLIMITED_MEN_ON_BATTLEFIELD:FALSE to TRUE?
    Last edited by guineawolf; 05-12-2007 at 13:15.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast