Thread: Impressed but having problems

Default Impressed but having problems

Hi, new to this mod site forum.
    I am very impressed by the EB itself. Having started a Romanni and Sweboz campaign.

My problem with Romanni is trying to dislodge phalanx formations or simply anything that poke the crap out of my calvary. I tried those slingers, leves but they dont seem to clear up a large proportion of them. Hand to hand combat, hastati, prinpipes dont kick well either.

Sweboz, is that on my second turn I am like in debt of -4000+. On my third, -8000+.

Also to bring up abt those phalanx-type units. Why can they kill calvary when u charge your calvary from behind. Their long spears are like pointing the other way and yet my horsies go down like paper.

Default Re: Impressed but having problems

What battle difficulty are you playing on? You should be playing on Medium for battle difficulty, and hard or very hard for campaign difficulty.

As for debt, either disband your armies, or use your starting armies to take a couple of settlements, and the focus on economy.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader
    Hayasdan Faction Co-ordinator

Quote Originally Posted by leoforce
    I am very impressed by the EB itself. Having started a Romanni and Sweboz campaign.

My problem with Romanni is trying to dislodge phalanx formations or simply anything that poke the crap out of my calvary. I tried those slingers, leves but they dont seem to clear up a large proportion of them. Hand to hand combat, hastati, prinpipes dont kick well either.

Sweboz, is that on my second turn I am like in debt of -4000+. On my third, -8000+.

Also to bring up abt those phalanx-type units. Why can they kill calvary when u charge your calvary from behind. Their long spears are like pointing the other way and yet my horsies go down like paper.
    To counter phalanx slinger are very effective if you hit them behind. When you aim behind unit they can not use their defence skill and shield armor values. Use your horseman to draw their attention and aim their back with your slingers.
    Or after your melee units engage with phalanx units, move your slingers to shoot them behind.
    Hope this helps.

For phalanxs, flank them, if your still in the first era either Hastai*swords* or Triarii*a phalanx attacking the flank/rear of another one kills it super fast* would work best. If your going to use slingers/missile units vs them, make sure you attack either the right side or rear, where their shield bonus doesn't add to their defense. As for the charge thing, yea sometimes some of your own cavalry will die in the charge, doesn't matter what they are hitting.

As for the Sweboz debt thing, that happens to basicly every faction at the start except Ptolemaics, Rome, Carthage, and a few of the other rich big factions. This is old, but a good starting point for the Sweboz.
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=58719
    I shouldn't have to live in a world where all the good points are horrible ones.

Is he hurt? Everybody asks that. Nobody ever says, 'What a mess! I hope the doctor is not emotionally harmed by having to deal with it.'

Last edited by sgsandor; 05-06-2007 at 10:44. Reason: answered else where

Thnks for the replies, but just to check. Is pushing Epirios out of Italy a good move, or is it better to deal with the Rebels first?

Beta Tester, Emeritus Member Al-Masri's Avatar

Take Taras and then Segesta and so on and so on, but you dont want the Epirotes to take Rhegion and continue to build up strength in the boot.
    All Hail Our Lord of Chester,
    Prince of Aquitaine, Duke of Cornwall, Prince of Wales
    Edward of Woodstock,
    The Black Prince

Take Taras, then Rhegion.

After that go for Sicily, Sardinia, Corsica, Baleares.

Then southern Spain and then move north.

Kick them out of Italy as soon as you can, the earlier you do it the better chances you have of negotiating peace with them afterwards.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

Hey, the guides and AAR section is really cluttered, can anyone suggest to me a good romanni guide? I think I really need one.

Quote Originally Posted by leoforce

If you're attacking the phalanx from the front, it will ventilate just about anything you put in front of it. The trouble you are having with them why the phalanx was still around - it was damn hard to beat if the wielder knew how to use them.

The debt is on purpose. All barbarians pretty much end up in debt the first turn. Use your starting armies to take some towns, then hunker down and grow.

If you are leaving the cavalry in melee after the charge, they will die by the dozens, yes. You have to charge, pull out, recharge, etc.