Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your opinions on MTW 2, version 1.02

Default Re: Your opinions on MTW 2, version 1.02

Quote Originally Posted by Lusted
    Well you'd be wrong then wouldn't you, as they do.
    Community doesn't count.

@ kyolic, rofl.

blaaaaaaaaaarg! Senior Member Lusted's Avatar

Community doesn't count.
    Who said anything about the community?

Your sarcasm detector is broken.

Senior Member Senior Member Cheetah's Avatar

Please check out the results of these polls before you continue. I think it explains it all. (Not that we did not know it already.)

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=84863
    Lional of Cornwall
    proud member of the Round Table Knights

"If you wish to weaken the enemy's sword, move first, fly in and cut!" - Ueshiba Morihei O-Sensei

That 6.2% for M2 multiplayer looks like the death knell for Total War MP. If Creative Assembly really works at it with the help of the SP community, I'll bet they can get that down to under 5%.

_________Designed to match Original STW gameplay.

Beta 8 + Beta 8.1 patch + New Maps + Sound add-on + Castles 2

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

As Cheetah has implied, not enough multi-player interest shown by this poll to warrant any effort to fix it.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

-two handed units get rolled by units with a shield
    -Lancers that benefited from the shield bug are now underpowered because they get rolled by AP units
    -turks are way overpriced and i laugh when people take them
    -pikes seem to be a little more balanced now but the pike militia should be more than 150

two handed units get rolled by units with a shield
    Lancers that benefited from the shield bug are now underpowered because they get rolled by AP units
    Somehow this doesn't bothers me that much.

That 6.2% for M2 multiplayer looks like the death knell for Total War MP. If Creative Assembly really works at it with the help of the SP community, I'll bet they can get that down to under 5%.
    If I'm not mistaken RageFury posted on STW forums that he did not find any other RTS comparable to TW series (at least not to that early one). In December expansion comes. XIII Century could be released at time as well. I will buy TW once more. Somehow I'm not interested in mmporg genre.

XIII seems to be entirely focused on battle. A short commentary on XIII century:

If you took the popular Total War strategy games, stripped out their overarching turn-based strategic layer, and kept the awesome real-time battles, the resulting game would look a lot like XIII Century: Death or Glory, a real-time tactical game from 1C and developer Unicorn Games Studios that's about the brutal era of medieval warfare.XIII Century is a game that's about battles, and nothing but battles.
    And then there is sentence which does not sound promising to me:

The scale of the action is comparable to that of Rome or Medieval: Total War, as you can easily have hundreds, if not thousands, of units on the screen at one time. The visuals are sharp and detailed, and there are subtle variations between each man on the battlefield. If you like medieval warfare tactics, then XIII century is a game worth checking out when it ships.
    Will it be all about graphic design again? I'm really wondering how game engine will be made. I will try this game for sure.
    Last edited by Fenix7; 05-11-2007 at 01:07.
    ''Constant training is the only Way to learn strategy.''

I have given up on TW altogether. Too many disappointments buying each release in the vain hope that there will be any improvements. I won't be wasting any more money, I've wasted enough

.......Orda

Quote Originally Posted by Orda Khan
    I have given up on TW altogether. Too many disappointments buying each release in the vain hope that there will be any improvements. I won't be wasting any more money, I've wasted enough

.......Orda

Here! here!

Well said Orda!

"A lamb goes to the slaughter but a man, he knows when to walk away."

Auspicious Interceptor Member YellowMelon's Avatar

Ok first off...I dont think any of the MP community voted on this poll, or knew about it...

Second...I am a little worried at the Fantasy poll...I was wondering for a while what the next TW game would be, and I thought that they might go so low as make a fantasy game to cater to the larger gaming market, following games such as Warcraft etc. Please dear god...I do not want to see Fantasy TW ever come out...

In this case, FTW does not mean for the win

blaaaaaaaaaarg! Senior Member Lusted's Avatar

I doubt they'll do a fantasy game yet, there are still plenty of interesting periods in history they can cover before they ever need to do a fantasy game.

Quote Originally Posted by Hosakawa Tito
    As Cheetah has implied, not enough multi-player interest shown by this poll to warrant any effort to fix it.
    That's what happens when the multiplayer experience deteriorates. The low level of interest is an indication that multiplayer would have to be improved to restore interest.

_________Designed to match Original STW gameplay.

Beta 8 + Beta 8.1 patch + New Maps + Sound add-on + Castles 2

Yes I didnt read through all of the questions, I thought it was just another joke by CA to make it look like they cared about the community. Now I think I shall spend a few minutes every day spamming votes favoring multiplayer.

-We do the impossible every day, miracles take a bit longer- Air Force Motto

its not exactly like mtw2 has 1500 games going at one time guys. its not made for multiplayer but CA has went to an unheard of effort to appease the mp folks in patch 1.2 regardless.

furthermore the poll does include a question as to how many times they have played mtw2 online. if everyone answers yes they have played over 50 games then im sure CA will move toward a mp gaming direction.

currently the buyer base is many times more for singleplayer than multiplayer i like historical accuracy and wish CA had made its previous titles more historically accurate then they are. but one fantasy game coming out isnt going to change their attempt for making historical games.

actually the split will appease to groups so CA can really concentrate on taking controversial spice units out of its history titles and vent it into the fantasy titles so the clients will get more of what they want.

currently the games are more historical but spiced up with some fantasy units.

im surprised CA is even showing any concern at all for the mp communty. you can jump on to halo and find upwards of close to a 1000 servers going at once and look how old the game is. the most ive seen on mtw2 at one time may have been 25 games. on rome i believe i saw up to 50 one time.

Ok some maths:

CA sold around 1 000 000 copies of MTW2 till now. They sold more than 1 000 000 copies of RTW and BI. Let us say 2 500 000 copies in total after VI.

How many less copies would be sold if all the MP players had left the game and refused to buy a CA product? 1000?

2 500 000 - 1000= 2 499 000

So...

2 499 000 X 60 (assuming they sell each copy for 60$) = 149940000

When they loose 1000 customers they are still making a profit of 149 940 000$ from the game.

Now do you think they have ANY reason to care about MP? They DID spent their resources on graphics and AI and now this way, TW makes them earn millions of dollars. It is only us fools who have got emotional ties to the game. In fact it is an industry and by nailing the SP, CA guarantees not only to survive but they also guarantee to make millions by every new release of Total War which was developed by them.

But they are not such bad guys. If those poor old MP veterans want to play a weird version of game which does not make any sense for SP, CA is ready to throw in an employee to help them modding the game and play it that way isolated from the rest. So either be thankful and continue digging for the next TW release like the fool you are or move away. That is all.

If these words do not make enough sense, just check the maths above again. It is simple. Yet real.
    Last edited by Wolf_Kyolic; 05-11-2007 at 19:39.

And if they can cater to a MP audience imagine how much more money they would make. If they want money, invest in MP, and turn that 1000 into 100 000 and make more money.

Every RTS being made caters to MP, I wonder why? Coh, SupCom, C&C all have good online platforms, are they missing something CA isnt?

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Puzz3D
    That's what happens when the multiplayer experience deteriorates. The low level of interest is an indication that multiplayer would have to be improved to restore interest.
    I agree. Apathy from the many disappointments for MP'ers more than likely are also reflected by the polls low MP-interest numbers. It's a shame. You MP fans are better off buying/renting your own servers and playing the modded version/versions. Or finding another game...
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

Its difficult...there is some force that binds us to TW. Its an emotional connection as Kyo put it.

CA keeps promising and promising and we fall into the trap. Hopefully Pala will follow through with what he told me regarding tournament mods that he will work on, meaning all competetive players will have their own version to compete on full of balances and such

but we have been fooled in the past...

the dilemma is that total war mp junkies like us are a minority elite. most people get into other types of online games. its not a bad thing there is just not very many people who get into playing a game like this in mp as we do. recruiting a freindly community is an excellent step to fostering more people who want to play.

instead of posting no noobs allowed games you should invite novice players into your games and teach them some introductory methods that will help and encourage them. in first person shooters and warcraft people put up with a lot of abuse. i dont. thats why i like total war is because if you act respectful hopefully you will be respected.

this has nothing to do with respect through your skill but how you conduct yourself on all lobbies and forums. i can only speak for myself and not for those who do not see it this way.

to encourage a community when it is a small fanbase you have to look at the battles and competitions this way. if everyone can keep it clean and respect one another and enjoy the battles, win or lose, to me everyone wins.

everyone wins

I agree, sometimes I really wish the community was larger, but at the same time its really nice to know everyone and such. Usually I try and show newbies what to do in games, but far too often I see players such as Trixter who just go crazy at people in the lobbies and really make it an unenjoyable environment. I hoped the .org would be a good place to build up a MP community from the bottom up, but alas it seems everyone here is about SP not MP

Just light the fuse... Member guyfawkes5's Avatar

To be fair I think Mech has hit the nail on the head. The current stagnation is more due to the attitude among a vocal minority in the community rather than the .org being biased towards the campaign portion of the game. If you want the community to grow and prosper, start in the lobby rather than the forums.

In my experience there are almost innumerable amounts of players who venture into the multiplayer lobby once out of curiousity and don't return due to the lack of hospitality and functionability (varying from a simple lack of help to outright abuse). The infunctionability of the lobby may be out of our hands, but certainly the aforementioned 'no noobs allowed' games and other aggressive acts of elitism are not.

Simple things like advising obvious newbies, being curtious, and maintaining a friendly atmosphere are the bedrock of most multiplayer communities. I'd recommend that we co-ordinate our activities in the lobby as well as in the forums, although I will admit there is only so much we can do with the cardboard cut-out lobby we're stuck with now.

Quote Originally Posted by mad cat mech

instead of posting no noobs allowed games you should invite novice players into your games and teach them some introductory methods that will help and encourage them. in first person shooters and warcraft people put up with a lot of abuse. i dont. thats why i like total war is because if you act respectful hopefully you will be respected.

During MTW I and VI, we did used to let them in late night 4v4 games and teach them necessary stuff during the game. The ones with attitude and respect used to find a chance to join the rematches and sooner or later they used to become a part of the community. But yes...This was only during late night games where we failed to fill in 8 veteran players. Normally they would not be allowed in where both teams had enough known players already.

Quote Originally Posted by YellowMelon
    And if they can cater to a MP audience imagine how much more money they would make. If they want money, invest in MP, and turn that 1000 into 100 000 and make more money.

Every RTS being made caters to MP, I wonder why? Coh, SupCom, C&C all have good online platforms, are they missing something CA isnt?
    Well said.

OK I did more tests.
    Sadly range bug is definitely not corrected. It makes pavs wery useful unit vs ha. It means that horse archers shouldn't be limited into 3vs3 - pavs have 4-6 times better range than ha.
    John Thomas Gross - liar who want put on Poles responsibility for impassivity of American Jews during holocaust

my point exactly...

are they missing something CA isnt?

Yes. They are missing lack of coding skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf_Kyolic
    Yes. They are missing lack of coding skills.
    RTW was the first tw 3D engine. They haven't had any experience in programming 3D engines and TW. The RTW engine was working, but I guess it is very difficult to balance the units in that engine. They invested alot of money in the RTW engine. The engine had to be reused. The second problem. New games must have a brillant graphics. Many gamers have a 8800GT and other strong hardware. The engine was extended and maybe through that extensions it was more difficult to balance the game. Only a new engine would bring back the old MTW VI feeling back.

But today is MTW VI day. The people come back and that is nice :) I don't need 100 noob players, that wants a TW C&C, if I can play with 40 good players. I know them. No spammers or other rude persons. It is a small and very honourable community.

M2TW rest in peace :D
    Last edited by |Heerbann|_Di3Hard; 05-12-2007 at 18:17.

Quote Originally Posted by |Heerbann|_Di3Hard
    No spammers or other rude persons. It is a small and very honourable community.

Yes. I have been there...for a while...

MTW 2 v1.02 does not feel that bad thought. It is similar to MTW for example still flanking issues remain. When you flank you opponent his units endure and it happens that you lose on the end.

I will decide after the expansion pack is released. XIII might surprise us after all.
    ''Constant training is the only Way to learn strategy.''

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast