Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for games with good AI

Thread killer Member Rodion Romanovich's Avatar

Default Looking for games with good AI

I'm looking for some new games to get for the summer. What I'm mainly looking for is a game with clever AI, no matter which genre. RTS, TBS, action, tactical, sports (mainly ice hockey), and maybe also RPG. I would like to find a game with AI that is varied, difficult to predict, where the AI skill isn't achieved through AI cheating or something simplistic like giving the AI godlike aim in a shooter. Alternatively, if the AI isn't that complex, it should at least take long before I discover exactly how it works and how to exploit it systematically.

Some games I've been thinking about: Histwar, ArmA, full spectrum warrior, one of the many ww2 strategy game released in the latest 5 years (which one is the best?), STALKER, some combat flight simulator. I'm also considering getting some very old games, if they're strategy/tactical and feature very good AI, even if the graphics are bad.

What are your experiences with these suggested games? And where I have mentioned a broad genre, which particular games would you recommend?
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

Robot Unicorn Member Kekvit Irae's Avatar

Default Re: Looking for games with good AI

I would suggest Company of Heroes. If you've played Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War, you know what to expect.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

F.E.A.R. has be far the best AI I have ever seen, there is currently nothing that can claim to be even half as advanced, nothing like it.

Well, I'm not a shooter person usually, but I think the Stalker AI isn't bad and I didn't find a way to really "expoit" it yet.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony
    F.E.A.R. has be far the best AI I have ever seen, there is currently nothing that can claim to be even half as advanced, nothing like it.
    It's also boringly repetitive, so the OP should keep that in mind.
    From wise men, O Lord, protect us -anon
    The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of millions, a statistic -Stalin
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

Quote Originally Posted by sapi
    It's also boringly repetitive, so the OP should keep that in mind.
    True that, it's pure shooter at heart, but if you like that kind of thing it's just the thing you like. F.E.A.R. isn't without it flaws, level design feels almost randomly generated at times, but the insane combat and thick atmosphere kept me going. Bit of a one trick pony, but that suits me just fine; I got a gun and I want to shoot it, and nothing does it better at the moment. Great in short bursts at least if you can't forgive it's shortcommings.

The Close Combat games have the best AI I've ever seen. I think anyone who played them can agree to that.

In my albeit biased opinion I would recommend

FAR CRY

That is If you haven't tried it yet, excellent ai, graphics and gameplay. The only downside is the low quality voice acting and the lack of a coherent plotline.

And the icing on the cake is that by the time you will be done with it, it's successor crysis is due to be released in the the third quarter of this year.

I would even recomend the the orignal precursor to ArmA, the Operation Flashpoint series.
    In the three years of war, necessity gave birth to invention. During those three years, we built bombs, we built rockets, we designed and built our own delivery systems. For three years, blockaded without hope of imports, we maintained engines, machines, and technical equipment. We spoke to the world through a telecommunications system engineered by local ingenuity. In three years of freedom, we had broken the technological barrier. In three years, we became the most civilized, the most technologically advanced black people on earth."
    - General Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu

Yeah Far Cry (pc version) has excellent AI as well, the only shooter where you feel like being hunted. Not too shabby a game either.

Galactic Civilisations 2 is a turn based space empire building strategy game with impressive AI. More impressively still, it doesn't cheat. The first few difficult levels have its income slashed by massive amounts and many of its algorithms disabled. If you have a good CPU you can make it more intelligent still by turning on the 'advanced AI algorithms' option.

Civ 4 is generally considered to have a good AI and to be very challenging on levels above noble. The caveat I add to that is that the AI cheats outrageously; IMO that disqualifies it from honestly claiming to have a good AI.
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

Civ4 is worth considering. True, a lot of the challenge at higher difficulties is due to cheating, but even on a fair playing field, the AI is surprisingly good given the incredible complexity of the game.

The most amazing example I had was in an early war with the Japanese. They launched two offensives - one amphibious - into my lands, that I was eventually able to despatch. Only when the dust settled, did I realise that they had pillaged my only two copper mines, leaving me unable to recruit any troops.

More generally, just seeing massive AI stacks loom out of the fog of war to attack your defenceless cities can be humbling. Especially when you consider they must have marched half way around the world for scores of turns - before war was even declared - just to come and see you.

The AI can be inept at tactics - it does not bring enough siege engines, for example. But the programmers have said that if they made it smarter, it would be less fun to play and I believe that. Some modders have tweaked it to make it nastier, but it does not sound fun at all.

Imperialism 2 also has formiddable AI, although you can exploit it more than Civs.

Jagged Alliance 2 can give you a good fight, especially if you are masochistic enough to fight in daylight. It is an awesome game too.

Do RPGs need an AI? I think they need character above all (which, incidentally, the AIs do have in Civ4, Imp2 and JA2). System Shock 2 and Vampire Bloodlines are the two games that I have found myself most enthralled by the AI: it oozes character, whether it is good at killing you or not, I am not sure but you are prepared to suspend disbelief and accept that it does most definitely want to kill you (or, even more fun, use you).

Thanks! For now I think I'll get Company of Heroes and STALKER.

Are there any opinions on the other games I mentioned in the first post?
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

One note: Character != AI. AI = Intelligence and the capacity to think for themselves and the ability to hunt you down. Vampire: Bloodlines has pretty bad AI, and at many times you'll bang your head at the stupidity of the enemy.

Estratega de sillón Member a_ver_est's Avatar

A bit old, but Operation Flashpoint has one of the best AI I have seen.
    uh ?

Default AW: Looking for games with good AI

To add to the excellent suggestion for CoH, I'd recommend getting the Advanced AI Mod: http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?t=137865

If you play Skirmish with that baby the computer is RUTHLESS, even on Easy.
    Emotion, passions, and desires are, thus peace is not.
    Emotion: you have it or it has you.

---

Pay heed to my story named The Thief in the Mead Hall.
    No.

---

Check out some of my music.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Default Re: AW: Looking for games with good AI

Quote Originally Posted by Bijo
    To add to the excellent suggestion for CoH, I'd recommend getting the Advanced AI Mod: http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?t=137865

If you play Skirmish with that baby the computer is RUTHLESS, even on Easy.
    Dawn Of War also has a AI mod, Dawn of Skirmish. They just released the latest version for Dark Crusade.
    http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?t=146830
    They have versions available for DoW/WA as well.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

I definitely do not suggest Company of Heroes if you like games that are fun, only games that have a challenging AI. It was getting such high praise from everyone about being a truly unique strategy game, and you can imagine my surprise (and disgust) when I found out it was just a Dawn of War reskin.
    Last edited by Kekvit Irae; 05-07-2007 at 20:11.

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

I definitely second Froggy's recommendation of Galactic Civilizations 2; the AI is actually pretty brutal. It does admittedly get cheats at difficulty levels higher than "Tough", but most players find the AI a sufficient challenge long before they get that far. (As it is, the computer currently smacks me around just when I'm playing on Normal difficulty. )
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Quote Originally Posted by Kekvit Irae
    I definitely do not suggest Company of Heroes if you like games that are fun, only games that have a challenging AI. It was getting such high praise from everyone about being a truly unique strategy game, and you can imagine my surprise (and disgust) when I found out it was just a Dawn of War reskin.
    i didnt play Dawn of War and i found CoH VERY fun. gameplay is just great, sound, music, voice acting is amazing, and very good graphics (an RTS that actually has HDR) and very challenging AI. im still struggling with the AI on expert.

Medieval 2: Total War anyone? With patch 1.2 and AI enhancer mod of course...

Or perhaps Battlefield 2?
    Medieval 2: Total War Guide to Traits and Retinue
    "Tenderness and kindness are not signs of weakness and despair but manifestations of strength and resolution." - Khalil Gibran

World War 3 erupted in mid-1960's: NATO - Warsaw Pact Conflict multiplayer Interactive, choose one from several available countries

Quote Originally Posted by Kekvit Irae
    Phew....I'm not alone....
    From wise men, O Lord, protect us -anon
    The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of millions, a statistic -Stalin
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

Default AW: Looking for games with good AI

It doesn't matter to people who haven't played DoW and it doesn't matter in general: they're playing CoH and they like it. In any case, the OP will have challenging AI if he plays CoH with that AI mod.

I also suggest Far Cry, though I think a person can quite easily detect predictable patterns in enemy behaviour after some time.

Another is Sniper Elite: a WW2 sniper game where stealth, quick effective shooting, carrying out a mission, fast redeployment and sneaky traps are vitally important. The AI is surprisingly and refreshingly effective, up to a point it's not even funny, due to the slow and pressing nature of the gameplay.
    You can add and remove realistic concepts such as wind, holding breath, gravity, and so on to make it more difficult. Not only can the AI be ruthlessly effective, you'll be sneaking as much as possible, and a distant headshot into an enemy soldier is then very satisfying.
    Walk slowly through a building as you set aside your sniper rifle and grab your picked up MP40 to clear it out or use your silenced pistol. Hide in the dark and give that enemy soldier walking by to investigate the darkness a quick bullet in the head. Or stay outside the building, place a trip wire grenade, and lure out anybody who's in there.
    But even better if an enemy sniper has spotted you: he'll pick you off quickly :)

---

No.

---

I haven't played DoW, so perhaps I will have a good time with CoH despite it being a reskin of DoW?

Too bad I've already played Vampire, OFP and some of the other great games suggested here
    Under construction...

Another vote for GalCiv2, I get smacked around too, on the levels where the AI has no cheats. Best strategic AI I've seen in a game, so far.

About Far Cry... I didn't get the impression that the AI was all that great. It worked well enough, but it was more the starting positions and programmed reactions (i.e. level design) than AI. I think that's true of most FPS games, although I haven't tried F.E.A.R. yet. That's on my list when I get some free time.
    Feaw is a weapon.... wise genewuhs use weuuhw! -- Jebe the Tyrant

Quote Originally Posted by Bijo
    It doesn't matter to people who haven't played DoW and it doesn't matter in general: they're playing CoH and they like it. In any case, the OP will have challenging AI if he plays CoH with that AI mod.

I also suggest Far Cry, though I think a person can quite easily detect predictable patterns in enemy behaviour after some time.

Another is Sniper Elite: a WW2 sniper game where stealth, quick effective shooting, carrying out a mission, fast redeployment and sneaky traps are vitally important. The AI is surprisingly and refreshingly effective, up to a point it's not even funny, due to the slow and pressing nature of the gameplay.
    You can add and remove realistic concepts such as wind, holding breath, gravity, and so on to make it more difficult. Not only can the AI be ruthlessly effective, you'll be sneaking as much as possible, and a distant headshot into an enemy soldier is then very satisfying.
    Walk slowly through a building as you set aside your sniper rifle and grab your picked up MP40 to clear it out or use your silenced pistol. Hide in the dark and give that enemy soldier walking by to investigate the darkness a quick bullet in the head. Or stay outside the building, place a trip wire grenade, and lure out anybody who's in there.
    But even better if an enemy sniper has spotted you: he'll pick you off quickly :)
    Sniper Elite seems interesting. I looked a bit at reviews, but the reviews complained a lot about the controls. What do you think? The gameplay seems incredibly promising. Also, how are saves handled?
    Under construction...

Quote Originally Posted by Stig
    The Close Combat games have the best AI I've ever seen. I think anyone who played them can agree to that.
    From what I have understood, there are many Close Combat games. Which one would you recommend the most for someone who will buy only one of them?
    Under construction...

Default AW: Re: AW: Looking for games with good AI

Quote Originally Posted by LegioXXXUlpiaVictrix
    Sniper Elite seems interesting. I looked a bit at reviews, but the reviews complained a lot about the controls. What do you think? The gameplay seems incredibly promising. Also, how are saves handled?
    The controls are a bit... annoying, probably. With a mouse-and-keyboard setup it'll work well enough, but could take a little time getting used to (and I specifically mean scrolling through inventory and stuff like that, or setting up certain non-standard devices like trip wires or throwing grenades, but it's not too big a deal).
    Movement controls are a bit like Splinter Cell, where you have the standard AWSD, the mouse for camera control and aiming, and the middle mouse button for specifying the movement speed of your character by turning it. Not bad. But the overall controls could be better.

The saves are handled differently depending on what you choose. If you take a higher difficulty level -- if I recall well -- you have less saves, and maybe in some cases no saves at all.
    But there's also this thing that you can just save anyway even if you're through all of 'em, but in that case you'll get a lower score in the end when you finish a level. (Been a while since I played it, but I guess that's how it went.)

The gameplay is handled well enough, and it urges you to be very careful and sneaky. Example: you have a nice spot to pick off some heads, but as soon as you squeeze off a couple shots they will immediately search for you, and they will get you if you're not fast outta there. Or you could place trip wire grenades to protect your position from assault, to warn you if anything comes close. If you take a couple bullets up-close, you're gone.

You can also pick people off without lethality to use them as sniper bait as they call out to their buddies for help. If you're really good you can make a one-shot kill (or hit(s)) through TWO heads (or bodies) if two enemies are lined up.

Well, it's becoming a long story, but I tell you.... this game is really worth picking up, though I must warn you it requires lots of patience :)
    Last edited by Bijo; 05-09-2007 at 20:07.

---

No.

---

Quote Originally Posted by LegioXXXUlpiaVictrix
    From what I have understood, there are many Close Combat games. Which one would you recommend the most for someone who will buy only one of them?
    I prefer A Bridge Too Far myself

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stig
    I totally disagree with this. I am a huge fan of the Close Combat games, but the AI is ridiculously easy to beat. The only challenge in the games comes from using the various "Vetmod" versions which give the AI far more men than the player, and even then it can be beaten pretty easily. I can see the games being hard for people who are new to it, but that's more due to figuring out the game mechanics than the AI. The Close Combat games are (IMO) the best multiplayer strategy games in existence, but that has nothing to do with the AI.
    Last edited by TinCow; 05-09-2007 at 20:22.

Well in that case I'm mostlikely worse then the AI

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast