Thread: Couple of questions

Default Couple of questions

Heya, I downloaded EB a couple of weeks ago (the first mod I've downloaded for RTW - did it at university as I've got a crappy 64k connection at home) and now that my exams are over have just booted up my first campaign as the Romani., Hard campaign difficulty, Normal battles.

Have to say the skins are lovely, and it runs quite smooth even though my specs are far from great (Radeon 9250 128mb card, 768mb RAM, 2 gighz processor). Sure I get a fair bit of memory leak after about an hour ('your virtual memory is getting low' etc - but no CTDs at all in about 3 or 4 hours of campaigning), but that's besides the point.

Just wondering if you guys are using a formations thingy like Darth Mod, or something that you guys have done yourself.

Also, I've noticed that rear charges don't tend to be as effective as I feel they should be. Now this could be because Roman cavalry is meant to 'sux teh bik one11', but I reckon that a well done cavalry charge into the rear of an enemy formation (large unit sizes) should kill a bit more than 6 or 7 men in the initial charge. This is not a complaint as such, it's just a question - there's probably some real cavalry that would do more damage and stuff.

I like how the battles have been slowed down as well - makes it feel more like MTW, just only a tad slower-paced.

Default Re: Couple of questions

The cpu is a core duo or centrino? I think you should have at least 1 GB ram...

A what?

Like I said, it's far from great and money being as it is since I'm a student I won't be upgrading for a long time yet.

We have our own formations, although certainly they are not as extensive as darth's or others. We haven't been able to spend much time on them, as more important parts of the mod have taken precedence.

We are happy with the current stats we use for cavalry, try using cataphracts if you want to see some carnage.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader
    Hayasdan Faction Co-ordinator

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

The most effective way to pull of a cav charge is to do a single click from a distance, the cav walks toward the target and charges the final stretch. You see this particually with kontos/xyston (two handed lance) armed cav because the lances don't lower until the final spint and often don't lower at all if you double click.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Cool, thanks guys. Like I said it was more along the questions, and I fully appreciate the fact that this is a work in progress, yet even so it breathes a whole lot of life into the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Philipvs Vallindervs Calicvla
    The most effective way to pull of a cav charge is to do a single click from a distance, the cav walks toward the target and charges the final stretch. You see this particually with kontos/xyston (two handed lance) armed cav because the lances don't lower until the final spint and often don't lower at all if you double click.
    Alt-doubleclick from a fair distance does this perfectly, and it does it faster. It also has them switch to swords (if available) once the charge is done.

Quote Originally Posted by Dyabedes of Aphrodisias
    Alt-doubleclick from a fair distance does this perfectly, and it does it faster. It also has them switch to swords (if available) once the charge is done.
    Although, having them charge the entire distance does cause more fatigue. I try not to do it, unless the battle is in the enemies favour and I need a decisive blow immediately.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader

Quote Originally Posted by Foot
    Although, having them charge the entire distance does cause more fatigue. I try not to do it, unless the battle is in the enemies favour and I need a decisive blow immediately.

Foot
    True, but I do it from a fairly close distance (just enough for them to lower their fancy sharpened sticks).

Quote Originally Posted by Dyabedes of Aphrodisias
    True, but I do it from a fairly close distance (just enough for them to lower their fancy sharpened sticks).
    I'm not very good at judging distance, so often I find them not having enough. This way I can just sit back and relax.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader

I like BOTH approaches to cavalry charges. Each to be used when the situation calls for it.

NOW HOW ABOUT THEM APPLES?!

Quote Originally Posted by NeoSpartan
    I like BOTH approaches to cavalry charges. Each to be used when the situation calls for it.

NOW HOW ABOUT THEM APPLES?!
    As i said, I use it when I need a cavalry charge 10 secs ago, but only then. If there is no urgency, I prefer to keep my cavalry fresh, rather than tiring them out. By just clicking once, you can be rest assured they'll get there in the end, and you can go and play with some other part of the battle, or line up the camera for a really nice shot of the charge. I prefer the latter. As a general, I think I would make manuevoures that would benefit my own aesthetic appreciation of the battle, rather than ones that would win the battle with fewer casulties. I'm a bad man.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

I'm definately a cavalry general, which is why I play the Macedonians. The phalanx only needs a little attention, that allows me to use my massed cavalry to best advantage and deliver proper charges, and retreats.

Walk-charge is definately more reliable, and more ordered and hence effective.

Typically I have 4 units of heavy cav, including my general, on the right then two units of Thrakians on the left. Eight phalangites, 2 peltasts, 3 slingers/kretans and one unit of Peraspidai on the right wing to hold the flank.

Proper use of heavy cavalry can leave the enemy dead and you with very few casualties.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]