Thread: To the AUSSIES out there!

Hi,I just wanted to see how many Aussies out there are playing STW since it seems to be a big hit in the strategy gaming community. Oh yea, one question I'd like to ask, (directed at Australian STWers)how is the latency when playing on the EA servers or do you guys use some other method of multiplay (LAN, different servers)?

And how about clans? Is there a specifically Australian STW clan out there?

Very nearly an off-topic post there, but you win a reprieve for asking about multiplayer latency

I know there are plenty of Australian STW players out there so there should be plenty of people to play against with reasonable latency.

------------------
    MizuRob Hojo
    Honour to clan Takiyama

Hello Bushido, I am not an aussie but the Clan I belong to has mostly aussie members.
    Go to www.Geocities.com/totalwarshogun and check thier communty links. There is a link to Clan Doragon and you can just go there. Hope to hear from ya.

When I play my clanmates their lats is around 600 to 800 in EAplay. If you go 1v1, there shouldnt be much problem.
    We live in a world of Disclaimers

Honor to Clan Doragon
    www.doragon.cjb.net

Not off topic at all considering the game's Australian!

Whilst I don't play via the net yet and won't until patch 3 is out I can't help directly re server specs.

But being a Melbournite too I was just curious, did you pay full price for the game like me or did you wait until it was reduced?

A demo at EB Chadstone sucked me into taking the game the first day it hit the shelf (!) and I was having fun until I met the Hojo hoarde bug at normal difficulty level.

Senior Member Senior Member Dark Phoenix's Avatar

Well here is the direct link to the clan site http://clandragon2.homestead.com/Dragon01.html

There is also a pommie and a couple of americans. As you could guess the pommie gets a hard time isnt that right Yabu.

Drop by any time and that goes for anyone looking for a clan.

------------------
    DoragonPhoenix of the Clan Doragon
    DP is correct - Shiro

Yep I'm the token pommie and Sword Master. The clan are nearly all ozzie (or Bruces and Sheilas if u like), and a few Yanks. Feel free to drop by and read our forum, you'll soonn see that we are a pretty light hearted clan, not to formal.
    Hope to see you soon.

------------------
    DoragonSama Sword Master of
    Clan Doragon
    DoragonSama Sword Master of
    Clan Doragon

Thanks for the replies people! I hope to see u all online as soon as I've got the latest patch.

To answer Advocates question, I was recently introduced to the Battle Trainer Demo, and absolutely loved it! Before being infected with the realistic/wargame strategy genre I was into tactical shooters and all that stuff (I still occassionaly load up a game of SWAT3:EE), so it is only recently that I have acquired STW from Pulsar Computers (Cnr Bourke St and Elizabeth St) for $50AUS.

C U all soon online!

Bushido, you invested well! I'm not giving up on those patches though. Eventually one'll come along that'll give value for my money.

As for strategy gaming, if you really want to taste the true grit of war gaming hang out for later in the year and try some of the turn based "traditional" fair like Russo-German War due out soon. You'd probably like Lords of the Realm 2 (a turn based/real time hybrid like STW) also.

Hey ..Devil;s Advocate !!..I was told there was a Mexican playing STW ..but had to come see for myself !

Cheers

------------------
    PSYCHO HOJO / PSYCHO SO
    PSYCHO V

PROUD SUPPORTER OF 'EUROPA BARBARORUM'

Oh by the look of the shelves at EB I'd say a few Aussies took the plunge at full price last year!

warning- plot loss in progress Senior Member barocca's Avatar
    (*disclaimer* - reality may or may not exist, in some societies reality is a crime, punishable by life)

The online latency times when we play against other aussies are usually aornd 300 to 400,
    for the US we see 700 Plus, and our overseas members usually see similar if we host from here.
    Frankly, 750 is not considered bad latency from a game hosted in the USA,

Sadly from asia we see latency up to 4000!
    no joking!

Usually we find 'lag' problems are caused by someones machine, even with local latency around 300 severe lag can creep in!

I would recommend everybody have a look at Erado's site for tips on improving performance, and natuarally one of the easiest is turn off smoke and birds!

------------------
    DoragonBarocca of Clan Doragon
    The winds that blows -
    ask them, which leaf on the tree
    will be next to go.

Yep there are a few Aussies playing including this Novacastrian...

Good to see you've come over to the .org Psycho...

DoragonWidda Daidoji .

comon thre has got to be more aussies playing STW than this, so far I count about 15 including the Doragon Clan!

Quote Originally posted by Bushido_Bandit:
    comon thre has got to be more aussies playing STW than this, so far I count about 15 including the Doragon Clan![/QUOTE]

hi, have been playing online for 6 weeks and have met at least 6 Aussies in that time. Perhaps we need someone here to organise us better and host an Aussie competition eg. 2v2.Perhaps the largest clan could undertake this task.
    website for CO-OP SP Campaign is : http://www.totalwar.org/maltz/SP_Campaign/.

Senior Member Senior Member Rath's Avatar

Hiya fellow Australians,

What the above guys have said about the lat is spot on....and yes i too payed full price for the game...but not in Chadestone..i only went to Dandenong where it prolly fell off the back of a truck if u know what i mean

Senior Member Senior Member Dark Phoenix's Avatar

IF you drop by the Doragon website where about 8 or 9 Aussies post or used to and read still I think we could discuss it there this is the address http://pub7.ezboard.com/bthegreathall92696

We are not very active at the moment from work commitments but I am sure we could make time for this.

------------------
    DoragonPhoenix of the Clan Doragon
    DP is correct - Shiro

Senior Member Senior Member Shiro's Avatar

The Aussies take over! It really is interesting to see that there are so many of you.

[This message has been edited by Shiro (edited 04-11-2001).]
    "Everything Shiro said sounds good to me."
    -Solypsist
    "Catiline is the one with the black rag and Shiro is erm...the other one..."
    -Tosa

That competition sounds really good. Could someone post here to let us know. Good to see there's some aussies around.
    "Writers in an attempt to be profound sit and think upon life, pondering newances while trying to find their niche. However it is this search that in itself is profound. Is it not profound that we as people look for meaning in our life when meaning can be found within. We look too far away from ourselves." FF

I'm in Tassie, and I get pretty good lats, 300-600. However, I'm on a T3 server at Uni. I've had some really fast games with various people, around the world.

I haven't signed up for a clan, as I've got too much else to do, but I usually sign on about 5-7 Tassie time, unless I'm busy downing a Boags, that's beer to the rest of you poor bastards drinking anything else.

Add one to the count. I haven't played for a while, but I started reminiscing earlier this week (hence my presence here). Hopefully I can get some online games in before I go to the states next week.