Thread: Building Latifundia

Default Building Latifundia

I wonder if someone can point me in the right direction.

It's 219 in my Roman campaign and I'm looking to meet one of the Marian reform criteria by building Latifundia. However, opportunities to do so seem to be few and far between. I have a number of cities in Italy, and around my growing empire, that appear to meet (and indeed exceed) the minimum requirement for building them: small city - Type I or II government - farming - small market - Land Grant but so far I have only two places where Latifundia appear as a build option (Arretium, and a city on the south eastern tip of Iberia [can't remember the name]).

As an example, the attached thumbnail shows Ariminum, just to the east of Arretium, which as you can see, appears to meet all the necessary Latifundia building requirements.

But as you can also see, I am being told that it's not yet available.

Am I missing something really obvious?

Incidentally, I'm using .81a unmodified.
    Last edited by Grod Tepes; 05-08-2007 at 15:22.
    Watch out for them sharp pointy things!

Asia ton Barbaron mapper Member Pharnakes's Avatar

Smile Re: Building Latifundia

I've had a quick look in the EDB and can't see anyhting obvious, however, if I was you I would try for larger markets and see if that makes any difference. I'm about to go home from school now, so I will be able to look in my Romani game, and try to locate the problem. Sorry I wasn't much help
    Asia ton Barbaron The new eastern mod for eb!

Laziest member of the team My red balloons, as red as the blood of he who mentioned Galatians.
    Roma Victor!

Yous ee gishes?

Default Re: Building Latifundia

No worries, thanks for looking matey.

Misanthropos Member I of the Storm's Avatar

I can't answer your question right now, but if I had that problem, I'd do as follows.
    Make a note of your treasury and of the current development status of Ariminum (i.e. all the buildings you have built)
    Then give yourself a lot of money and build the buildings you suspect you might need via process_cq. This way you can figure out what you lack for the latifundia. If you found out then just destroy the buildings you had to cheat, rebuild them by cheat to the status quo ante and use add_money with a negative value until you reach your former treasury.
    I always do that when I suspect something strange with the building tree. After all, thats what the console was designed for in the first place, wasn't it?

Asia ton Barbaron mapper Member Pharnakes's Avatar

Smile Re: Building Latifundia

Did you manage to solve the problem this way, or do you want me to have another look at it

P.S. Its easier just to save tha game before making the changes.
    Last edited by Pharnakes; 05-08-2007 at 17:30.
    Asia ton Barbaron The new eastern mod for eb!

Laziest member of the team My red balloons, as red as the blood of he who mentioned Galatians.
    Roma Victor!

Yous ee gishes?

Misanthropos Member I of the Storm's Avatar

No I haven't tried that myself, since I didn't have your problem yet. But you're right, quicksave would do it too. But hey, why simple when you can have it complicated, eh?

I just described my standard procedure in such cases (like figuring out the way a tech tree works). You may want to give it a try.

Thanks for the ideas guys.

I used the "process_cq" cheat and found that you also need to build a Villae Rusticae (Agricultural Estate), as well as the other requirements. Once it's there the Latifundia just drops into the building queue.

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

The villa is the second level of the Land Grant / Villa / Estate(Latifundia) building tier.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusAureliusAntoninus
    The villa is the second level of the Land Grant / Villa / Estate(Latifundia) building tier.

With hindsight I can see that makes sense now, but its non-appearance in the building tree threw me - lol.