Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Europa Barbarorum FAQ

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

Default Re: Europa Barbarorum FAQ

Yangtzee14, MIC (military industrial complex) is the name for the building that replaced barracks, archery ranges, and stables. Simply put, it is the barracks.

gran_guitarra, you have Sicily? And, have you activated the script every time you start a new game and every time you load a saved game?

Quote Originally Posted by gran_guitarra
    Hey, guys.

I am having a slight problem with the Polybian Reforms. According to the FAQ I just need to hold two of the four settlements in Northern Italy and two of the three Sicilian settlements.

In my game I currently hold all the Italian Settlements except Mediolanum, along with the coast opposite Italy up to Epidamnos, Alalia, and Karali. Even so, I am still not getting the Polybian Reforms, or the option to upgrade my MIC's.

I have a few Characters which are sharp/charismatic/vigorous, but none of them have the requisite command (though with the Legion, Alae, and Mercenary army I have ready to kick Macedonian behoockey it shouldn't be a problem (especially as the Makedonians hold everything except the Peloponesus and the cities I hold). I have one character (besieging Pella) who has two Command Stars and two Influence, and the traits Vanquisher of Makedonians/Carthaginians.

The above was to explain my current situation in-game. It is currently 241 B.C., and I am about to begin a campaign of destruction against the Makedonians and Koinon Hellenon. I am hoping that at least part-way through that campaign I will be able to bring in my polybian Principes/Hastati/Equites to aid my Triarii (Camillan), Extraordinarii, and Mercs (which are mostly Hellenic, except for an Alae composed of Lucanians and Samnites).

Have you been running the script? Check your cities for the Polybian marker. If you have it you will see an option in your build menu to upgrade your MICs, do it and you will get polybian troops. If you don't have and you have achieved all the conditions you have not been running the script for a lot of the time or at all. You will likely need to restart your game and read the FAQ before starting a new campaign.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader
    Hayasdan Faction Co-ordinator

Hi!

I have a new problem.
    By starting a new campaign (with the romans) i click the "show me button" and the date change from 272 BC to 14 AD. What is the problem???

Quote Originally Posted by Yangtzee14
    Hi!

I have a new problem.
    By starting a new campaign (with the romans) i click the "show me button" and the date change from 272 BC to 14 AD. What is the problem???
    Script did not activate fully. Just click another city, and the advisor will pop up again. Click "show me button" , and the date should be correct.

Hi and thanx first of all. I used only to play total realism but now i'm just in another world full of wonders with barbarorum.

I just have a question about skins and music. I used to play with unrealistic spartan hoplites skin and really love it (sorry ), i just wonder how i could replace skins in this mod?
    Same goes for the music if i could put my own music files, it would just be so perfect.

Yes, I activate the Script every single time I play, and I always make sure by clicking another city. I rarely play more than one turn without the Script, and those times its because I saved in another faction's turn because of a battle.

I have checked and there is no option to upgrade to Polybian MICs, and my cities still say, Camillan Military Era.

I have all fo Sicily, Karali, Ajaccio, all of Northern Italy except Mediolanum, and the Coast opposite Eastern Italy.

Well, that shouldn't be. If you have all of Italy and Sicily and it is past 242BC then you should have it. Maybe play another year or so and see if the script is just late due to midenemyturn battles. (Btw, the Camilian building won't go away, there will just be a Polybian one at the end of your building list as well.)

Great, I got the f***ing Polybian Reforms (no announcement though), but they gave me a CTD.

For some reason the only two units of Camillan Triarii I had had blank unit cards, and when I ordered them to move the CTD happened.

Sorry I cannot send you the save file, but I had to delete them all, since the CTD affected all my save games for some random reason, and my browser would not access the forums.
    I ended up deleting them all and starting over, though this seems to have worked quite fine.

Anyway, you were right Marcus, it apperently slowed down because of the enemy turns without the script on.
    Sorry to bother you.

No need for profanity. Oh yes, an EB CTD will screw up all your savegames, block your browser from the forum, delete all picture files on your hard drive and put sugar in your gasoline.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

Exclamation Re: Europa Barbarorum FAQ

Hey guys i downloaded EB .81 and whenever i load a custom battle or a campaign the first seconds my computer freezes.
    I've been lead to 2 reasons
    1. Computer does not recgonize Direct X though i doubt this.
    2. The reagistry.
    Please help i really want to play this mod i think its the greatest i ve seen out of all of them in its feild of Rome total war and having these errors just pisses me off.

Please visit the tech help subforum.

================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

For filing in the FAQ potentially (just posted this in an unstuck thread below - so it will disappear below in time):

De Nominibus: As for faction naming in general, it's very difficult to come up with a single system. We sometimes use a "people's name" (like Romani, Aedui, Lusotannan, Getai, Sauromatae, Saka Rauka, Sweboz), sometimes the name of the land/kingdom (like Makedonia, Epeiros, Baktria, Pontos), sometimes the name of the dynasty that is in control of the area (like Ptolemaioi), sometimes the name of a political entity that controls the area (like Arche Seleukeia, Koinon Hellenon). One is not always clearly superior to the other. We fought over Pontos' name for quite a while - longer than any other one I remember. Sometimes one "format" ("peoples" vs. "land" vs. "political entity" vs. "dynasty") is much better than others though. In our opinion, Makedones or Antigonidai are worse than just Makedonia, but Ptolemaioi is better than Aigyptos. It's pretty easy when dealing with ethnic groups or tribes, but harder with regional kingdoms where there is some flux in ruling groups. Each name was discussed quite a bit and voted on (or had unanimous consent). We're pretty happy with the results. There are some that could be really close to other ones, and some that were clearly easy to pick. I think we've shown also that we are willing to reconsider when we have something that really is much more accurate, even though it's not a fun thing to do to go back and change it all. We've done it with the Carthaginian faction, twice!

Default The gameplay difficulty

Hi folks,
    I have one question. How is the best play of EB. There is written in the FAQ gameplay answers - Very hard/Medium. It means: Very hard (battles)/ Medium (strategy map) or is my meaning wrog?
    Thank you for advice!
    My name is Pius, Pius 007 Curus

Default Re: The gameplay difficulty

Vh campaign map, Medium battles.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader

Hello everyone. I hope I#m posting at the right place, i'm even not sure wether i'm really having a problem or not. It just seems like local mics are totally useless for lusitanians. I made numantia my capital, using type 1 gouvernment. after building all mic (factional/local) i can build 2 types of iberian (not lusitanian) standard weakling infantry . on the other hand, even in my type 3/4 gouvernments, im building iberian units in my standard barracks, not the local ones. Could this be a bug or did i just get something totally wrong?
    By the way: where and how do i recruit iberian scutari and those iberian cataphractoi?

The local mics probably have nothing if anything at all to offer in your homeland provinces. I haven't played Lusotannan yet, but I guess there won't be much in the Iberian peninsula. You'll get heavier units at higher-level factional mics, but don't expect very many of them. The Lusitanians were adept at skirmisher/ambush stuff and their light infantry is excellent at it.

Iberian units you can train on the east coast in your factional mics. Check this thread for some handy stuff.

Yeah, for some factions we call local MIC's "Local Non-native Barracks" or some variant of that. They really won't do much for your homelands, that's why it's very bad judgement to ally with your homeland territories. Build type1 or 2 govts in them, and ally with them "furiners" where you can't get your good faction troops.

So i just need 90 settlements regardless of year for Marian reforms?

No, the year still counts for the requirement of 90 settlements.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader

Another question: What about the elephants? With Arche Seleukeia, i didn't find a single place where i was able to recruit elephants in the beginning (actually i tried looking for them with cheating, building up several factional and regional mics in 1st turn in Syrian and mesopatamian areas - yes i would have started a new game afterwards). On the other hand Epirotes can build them in greece. Wouldn't it be a nice idea to re-introduce those tuffy little elephants on the campaign map, just to show where they might be recruitable? Or a hint where i might look it up?

Eriklos, planless traveller from the land of stupid questions

Quote Originally Posted by Eriklos
    Another question: What about the elephants? With Arche Seleukeia, i didn't find a single place where i was able to recruit elephants in the beginning
    In Baktra, a city which is rightfully yours. Before you've conquered that, you probably won't be able to afford them expensive bastards anyway.

That may or may not change, but I'll say we are thinking about it right now also (elephant recruitment).

Actually, Seleukids will get Indian Elephants in Syria in next release.
    "Debating with someone on the Internet is like mudwrestling with a pig. You get filthy and the pig loves it"
    Shooting down abou's Seleukid ideas since 2007!

Ok, thanks for the quick answers.
    Actually I just started a game with epirotes. Armored Elephants in greece, hehehe. Hope the romans make it round in time.

Salute,

I have two questions:
    1. Why is EB best played on VERY HARD on the strategic map?
    2. How can I make (force) another fraction to became my PROTECTORATE?

Thank you very much for your answers!
    My name is Pius, Pius 007 Curus

EB is best played on the difficulty of your choice. The AI performs marginally better on VH, which is why we recommend it.

The force diplomacy mod can make a faction your protectorate, search the forum for it. There's absolutely nothing that can make them stay your protectorate though; they'll attack you soon enough.

================
    ================

What does getting a Protectorate actually DO (both in Vanilla and EB)? Do you get to choose what buildings they build etc.?

Also, what happens if someone become your Protectorate (i.e. they own you)?

A protectorate is just an alliance with trade rights and military access (both ways [which seem odd to me, if I subdue someone I should be able to march on their lands but I don't want them on mine]). The AI is less inclined to break the alliance/protectorate state also. There is a thing about them paying a hidden tribute to you for being your protectorate, but I have heard it is bugged and both sides lose money with it.

I've never been a protectorate, myself. I used to think you would lose the campaign if you accepted. I now assume you just are forced into the same situation the AI is in and you can break it at your wim.
    Last edited by MarcusAureliusAntoninus; 08-01-2007 at 09:11.

Interesting - in BI once as Alemanni WRE asked me to become a Protectorate (i.e. go under them, not vice versa) but I refused :(

I'll try to get one and report back to you.

I played SPQR once and was constantly attacked by Sweboz along my upper Danube border. I didn't wanted to destroy them so I used a force diplomacy minimod and made them my protectorate. Next turn I received a 70 k income from diplomacy. Next turn it was considerably lower and finally settled at about 5k a turn - can't say that i was unhappy and they stopped their attacks for a very long time. Another time I tried the same with Carthage, but they didnt gave me any income. I'm almost sure that they were in the red all the time because when they attacked me they had huge treasury and recruited a lot of mercs and other units next turn - propably too many and it crippled their income.
    I read somewhere that the income you get from a protectorate is related to it's income.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast