Thread: Baktrian at the Olympic games

Question Baktrian at the Olympic games

Is there really an evidence about partecipation of baktrian athletes at the olympic games?

Default Re: Baktrian at the Olympic games

There is perfectly good evidence of a Baktrian from Ai Khanoum (Alexandria Oxiane) going to Delphi, returning and writing some inscriptions for all to see. Oxianes' gymnasion ( also known as gym nowadays) was one of the largest found in ANY greek city. This means that there must have been good athletes, able to compete at the Olympics

Thus, the possibility is there. Whether actual evidence was found, I don't think so. Still, EB is about what was 100% plausible to happen, but for one reason or other didn't. In that sense, Olympic participation for a Baktrian would be assured. Had a Baktrian made the long and arduous trip to Olympia, nobody would deny him participation to the games.

You like EB? Buy CA games.

I think we made the possibility much less likely than even Greeks in the Seleukid or Ptolemaic empires. But there was still a slight chance. It's too bad that there is not a way to toggle generals into a "diplomatic" mode or something, where they can travel to distant places and conduct diplomacy themselves or visit temples held by other factions or do things like participate in the olympics only then.

Asia ton Barbaron mapper Member Pharnakes's Avatar

Smile Re: Baktrian at the Olympic games

I had a bactrian win the olympic games, and about half of my younger genrals ussualy participate.
    Asia ton Barbaron The new eastern mod for eb!

Laziest member of the team My red balloons, as red as the blood of he who mentioned Galatians.
    Roma Victor!

Yous ee gishes?

Quote Originally Posted by Pharnakes
    I had a bactrian win the olympic games, and about half of my younger genrals ussualy participate.
    I was talking about historical evidence, not about the game...

Quote Originally Posted by keravnos
    There is perfectly good evidence of a Baktrian from Ai Khanoum (Alexandria Oxiane) going to Delphi, returning and writing some inscriptions for all to see. Oxianes' gymnasion ( also known as gym nowadays) was one of the largest found in ANY greek city.
    Good to know. I think i will buy a book about Baktria (one suggested here) from Amazon

Come to daddy Member Geoffrey S's Avatar

Would it be possible to increase the chance of participation as provinces closer to Greece are conquered?
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr