Thread: HELP: HRE Tech Tree

Guardian of the Fleet Senior Member Shahed's Avatar

Lightbulb HELP: HRE Tech Tree

Hi All !

I'm thinking of something (when I'm supposed to be working) but I never got the tech tree with my game. I don't want to launch the game (mod the file for insta-gunpowder) and browse through the building browser (for the 1000th time).

Does anyone have it uploaded somewhere ? or is it D/L able somewhere ?

Does anyone know which HRE units are NOT available in campaign ?

Many thanks for your help !

SALUTE !
    If you remember me from M:TW days add me on Steam, do mention your org name.

http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/__shak

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

Default Re: HELP: HRE Tech Tree

If you're talking about units which appear in the multiplayer selection, but not in the campaign, you can find that info in the incredibly well-done "FUSIL":

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=84650

Doh! Thanks (or should I say MOOOO !) TinCow.

Do you have a link on how to insert these units into the SP campaign ?

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

Nope, never tried to nor read about it. Your best bet is to post that in the Modding Questions forum.

Thanks.

It's surely be answered before. I'll do a search, eventually.

Beware! Relentless Looter! Member Flavius Merobaudes's Avatar

The only reason for units not to be available in the campain is that there's no building they're recruited at.
    Simply go into export_descr_buildings and attach the unit you want to the building you feel is suited for them.

For example, I've given the HRE the military academy and made it recruit "Landsknechte", giving them exp +1 in the officers academy. Otherwise HRE wouldn't have any decent pikes, and who wants to rely on mercs.
    I'm not sure but I think Dism. Gothic Knights aren't available either. But who needs them if Zweihaender can do the same job much cheaper.
    As for religious fanatics, well they're disgusting fanatically religious and I don't use such guys in my honorable armies.

Friendly Resident Knight Member Fußball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flavius Merobaudes
    For example, I've given the HRE the military academy and made it recruit "Landsknechte", giving them exp +1 in the officers academy. Otherwise HRE wouldn't have any decent pikes, and who wants to rely on mercs.
    I have not played a campaign so long to be able to use landsknechte, do you know the map regions in game they are recruitable? As cool as it would be to have them recruited via a castle or city it is correct they are recruitable as mercenaries. Even though historically during the Renaissance they were a large part of Imperial armies of the time, they were still mercenaries. Not to mention used by other European countries as well at some point, France, Spain and Poland to name a few.

Quote Originally Posted by Flavius Merobaudes
    I'm not sure but I think Dism. Gothic Knights aren't available either. But who needs them if Zweihaender can do the same job much cheaper.
    As for religious fanatics, well they're disgusting fanatically religious and I don't use such guys in my honorable armies.
    Gothic Knights have much better armor, 14 in stats as compared to Zweihänder with 11. They also have magnificent armor, which just for the beauty of it makes them better imo. I do not understand why CA left them out though. Definitely mod worthy for v1.2.

I never use religious pilgrims or fanatics either. For mainly the same reasons as you stated. Though the current campaign I am playing I bought one unit of fanatics just for the fun of it.

Tschüß!
    Erich

Things are getting better. Well, not as good as yesterday, but definitely better than tomorrow! ~Old Russian Joke

The export_descr_unit says Landsknechte are to be hired in the late era by the HRE. Actually, I don't know how mercenaries work in M2TW and if they are resticted to certain regions or to regions currently belonging to a certain party. So I guess they can be hired by anyone in central europe. So in theory even the mongols could hire them if they made it into Germany.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    type Landschneckt Pikemen
    dictionary Landschneckt_Pikemen ; Landsknecht Pikemen
    category infantry
    class spearmen
    voice_type Heavy
    accent German
    banner faction main_spear
    banner holy crusade
    soldier Landschneckt_Pikemen, 60, 0, 1
    attributes sea_faring, hide_forest, hardy, can_withdraw, mercenary_unit, pike
    formation 1.2, 1.2, 2.4, 2.4, 8, square, phalanx
    stat_health 1, 0
    stat_pri 12, 4, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_blade, piercing, spear, 25, 1
    ;stat_pri_ex 0, 0, 0
    stat_pri_attr spear, long_pike, spear_bonus_8
    stat_sec 10, 3, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_blade, piercing, sword, 25, 1
    ;stat_sec_ex 0, 0, 0
    stat_sec_attr no
    stat_pri_armour 0, 6, 0, flesh
    ;stat_armour_ex 0, 0, 0, 0, 4, 0, 0, flesh
    stat_sec_armour 0, 0, flesh
    stat_heat 2
    stat_ground 1, -2, 3, 2
    stat_mental 9, normal, highly_trained
    stat_charge_dist 40
    stat_fire_delay 0
    stat_food 60, 300
    stat_cost 1, 350, 155, 105, 80, 350, 4, 80
    armour_ug_levels 0
    armour_ug_models Landschneckt_Pikemen
    ownership slave, hre
    era 2 hre
    ;unit_info 11, 0, 4

I haven't played long enough either to know in which numbers they come as mercenaries, but considering they made up the bunch of armies in 30-years-war I doubt it'll be sufficient.

Furthermore, they were no exclusive pike formations but were mixed with arquebusiers at the corners and some swiftly deployable Zweihänder which made them extremly versatile and hard to crack. The only real danger were artillery shells, but considering the logistical problems of deploying artillery in these times, they were fielded very seldom only. And why don't they get any armour upgrades?

You're right, Gothic Knights are better than Zweihänder as a unit per se, but I found Zweihänder to do their work quite good, espacially with the armour upgrade. And considering the use/cost ratio, it seems to be wiser to use them in campaigns.

blaaaaaaaaaarg! Senior Member Lusted's Avatar

If mercenary units have other factions apart from slave on their ownnership line, it means that the merc unit is available to that faction in custom battle.

Relentless Bughunter Senior Member FactionHeir's Avatar

I wonder why they were spelled "Landschneckt" in the files actually, and also say this when clicked on instead of the proper "Landknecht"

Btw, you can't hire those from buildings in the campaign because they aren't listed in the descr_buildings file. Add em and you can.
    Want gunpowder, mongols, and timurids to appear when YOU do?
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Click here to read the solution
    Annoyed at laggy battles? Check this thread out for your performance needs
    Got low fps during siege battles in particular? This tutorial is for you
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

I see.

This is an excerpt from descr_mercenaries in the imperial_campaign folder:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    pool Northern_Germany
    regions Stettin_Province Hamburg_Province Frankfurt_Province Magdeburg_Province Breslau_Province
    unit merc cog, exp 0 cost 200 replenish 0.36 - 1.0 max 1 initial 1 religions { catholic } crusading
    unit merc cog, exp 0 cost 1000 replenish 0.02 - 0.10 max 1 initial 1
    unit Mercenary Frankish Knights exp 0 cost 1080 replenish 0.01 - 0.06 max 1 initial 0 end_year 1300 religions { catholic orthodox }
    unit Mercenary German Knights exp 0 cost 950 replenish 0.01 - 0.06 max 1 initial 0 start_year 1300 end_year 1500 religions { catholic orthodox }
    unit Landschneckt Pikemen exp 0 cost 530 replenish 0.08 - 0.25 max 4 initial 0 start_year 1470 religions { catholic orthodox }
    unit Mercenary Crossbowmen exp 0 cost 860 replenish 0.08 - 0.25 max 4 initial 2 end_year 1300
    unit Mercenary Pavise Crossbowmen exp 0 cost 930 replenish 0.08 - 0.25 max 4 initial 0 start_year 1300 end_year 1400
    unit Mercenary Arquebusiers exp 0 cost 830 replenish 0.08 - 0.25 max 4 initial 0 start_year 1400 events { gunpowder_discovered }
    unit Mercenary Spearmen exp 0 cost 660 replenish 0.08 - 0.25 max 4 initial 1 end_year 1470
    unit Pilgrims exp 0 cost 35 replenish 0.36 - 1.0 max 4 initial 1 religions { catholic } crusading
    unit Crusader Knights exp 0 cost 220 replenish 0.15 - 0.35 max 4 initial 1 end_year 1300 religions { catholic } crusading
    unit Crusader Sergeants exp 0 cost 110 replenish 0.15 - 0.35 max 4 initial 1 end_year 1300 religions { catholic } crusading

There seem to be some other regional mercenary pools including Landsknechte: Southern Germany, The Netherlands, Burgundy and Poland

But they don't come in the numbers at least I would need them. They replenish in the same amount as crossbows, which is way to few.

Relentless Bughunter Senior Member FactionHeir's Avatar

Nothing that you can't change ;)
    Want gunpowder, mongols, and timurids to appear when YOU do?
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Click here to read the solution
    Annoyed at laggy battles? Check this thread out for your performance needs
    Got low fps during siege battles in particular? This tutorial is for you
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)