Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Citadel of Alamut [Concluded]

Default Citadel of Alamut [Concluded]

November 1256 AD,

The invasions of the Mongols have driven thousands of refugees from all places to form into groups, seeking safety and protection. One such group, the Orgahs, people from all different backgrounds and nations of the earth, were starving and thirsty in the sun-scorched desert of Iran. They were pursued by Mongols, led by the terrifying Hulegu Khan. Who were they, in this position, to refuse the shelter of a seemingly abandoned fortress, with a unique water supply and walls to rival Constantinople or Antioch? Lured by safety and water they entered the Citadel of Alamut.

But it was not deserted. Within cellars and secret rooms there were men, trying desperately to conceal themselves, some claiming to be servants, others shown by their actions to be assassins. The Mongols, despite the impregnability of the castle, layed siege and stipulated their conditions:

'The Orgahs will be allowed to leave, if all the Assassins are handed over to the Mongols.'

It seemed like relief, but the post script revealed otherwise.

'However, I cannot depend on your judgement, or honesty yet. You must be tested, your skills of perception and war measured. I have sent a number of my spies amongst you once I knew you would reach this place before me. Every night, they will kill some of your number, and every day, you may execute one of your number. Only one. I hate cheating. Once they are all killed, you will be allowed to leave, and the survivors will be given rewards above their station. I will trust your judgement on which of the people here are assassins, and which are servants once this has been done.

Also, your martial skills will be tested to the limit. Every now and then, I will send a champion to face one selected by your number. If three of your champions are defeated, I will launch an attack. I do not see why I should wait here in the sun if I can simply storm the place. Be warned, as time goes on, my patience will run out.'

He did not believe they could pull off the coordinated skills and judgement calls needed to lynch all of his spies before they killed all of the townies, nor to select and find among their number Champions who could face the Mongols. But the Orgahs were no ordinary people, and among their number were more men of importance than Hulegu Khan had ever guessed possible.

---

Basic rules of Conduct:
    No quoting PMs, either privately, or Chat logs, privately (in chat, by PM) or publically (in the thread). Ditto translating then quoting. Paraphrasing PMs, or quoting from in this thread/the information thread or past mafia games is fine.
    Dead may not PM or discuss PMs.
    No multiple accounts. If I find someone is using these, they will be WOGGED for certain.
    Voting is not necessary, participating is. People who post very little or very insubstantially (e.g. post a spam post once every round and say nothing linked to the game) will be wogged.
    Please don't spam the thread. A little banter is fine, but excessive spamming and 'empty' posts will be punished.

---
    Game Rules:

Basic mafia:

Every night phase, the Mongol spies will kill some of your people.
    Every day phase, you have to vote on one person to lynch.
    The number of spies will be linked to the number of participants.

Advanced:

The Roles:

Most players will have a special role, of some kind, and unique/differentiated victory conditions. Even the Mongol spies will be varied.

The Champions:

On days 3, 5, 7, 9 and 11, a Mongol Champion will be sent to face a man elected by the townies as their own champion. The results will be decided on by a combat system. The loser will be killed. If three of these challenges are lost, the Mongols will invade. This will be very bad for the town.

The Weapons Store:

There is a store of weapons in the fortress. It is operated mechanically, and a player must pay some of the little money he has saved into a receiving slot to get the weaponry, equipment or armour he wants. Gold may be gained by looting the body of a Mongol champion, or by killing people. A per turn bonus is being considered, but isn't likely.

Fighting:

Every player has set fighting skills, from 1-10, at the start of the game. By certain actions, they may increase these fighting skills and gain proficiency with different weapons. They must gain the weapons in question to use these proficiencies, though. Some players will start with weapons. Others will be less fortunate. Certain weapons will be triggered and granted to players by certain events. Some of these triggers may be shown beforehand, others may not be.

The seven weapon proficiencies are: Bow, Mace/Staff, Sword, Spear, Axe, Fist, Knife

There is at least one weapon for each proficiency available. Fist proficiency does not require a weapon to use but is fairly ineffective. I do not intend to turn the game into a number-crunching D&D type battle system. Combat will be relatively simple to understand. Anyone may kill using weapon skills at night. Suffice to say, this is a risky strategy.

Duels:

Three duels per round. Same combat system as not described fully above. Players may not fight more than one player in a round, nor may they make more than one challenge in a round. The player who triumphs in a duel will get a payment from the

---

Basic victory:

The town wins when all spies are dead
    The spies win when all Orgahs are dead. A Mongol assault does not mean an automatic loss for the townies, but will certainly result in more trouble for them.

So, anyone interested? Fighting will be kept secondary to lynchings and spy kills. Special roles should be available for just about everyone, unless we get a really large number of participants, at which point they'll run out of originality.

'My intelligence is not just insulted, it's looking for revenge with a gun and no mercy. ' - Frogbeastegg

SERA NIMIS VITA EST CRASTINA VIVE HODIE

The life of tomorrow is too late - live today!

Default Re: Citadel of Alamut

Stig ist in, jawohl mein Herr

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

la in.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

/in

*reads rules*

excellent

I finally get to try my hand at a dueling system...
    Last edited by Sasaki Kojiro; 05-08-2007 at 23:33.

I like it so much I will put a fun version of duels in my own big mafia. Just because I like them.

They won't fit in my setup anyway to make them that important

I guess i'll be in.
    "I thought CA was unarmed? Unless he got some samurai swords or something... I only got some rocks and some sticks." Shlin in BR realizing he has no weapons what so ever.

In I am,

Getting lynched twice over silly reasons at early game isn't a good experience, everyone knows.
    Medieval 2: Total War Guide to Traits and Retinue
    "Tenderness and kindness are not signs of weakness and despair but manifestations of strength and resolution." - Khalil Gibran

World War 3 erupted in mid-1960's: NATO - Warsaw Pact Conflict multiplayer Interactive, choose one from several available countries

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

OMG!!! A mafia involving the mongols! This is simply too good to be true! Sign me up!
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

might have to put a duel system in mine as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

Bam! In!
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

I'm in, although I prefer a game of simple mafia, this looks promising.

Ekklesia Mafia: - An exciting new mafia game set in ancient Athens - Sign up NOW!
    "Oh, how I wish we could have just one Diet session where the Austrians didn't spend the entire time complaining about something." Fredericus von Hamburg

In.

Are the duels fatal?
    From wise men, O Lord, protect us -anon
    The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of millions, a statistic -Stalin
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

In.

Hello Orb, how many people are needed to join before the game start?
    Medieval 2: Total War Guide to Traits and Retinue
    "Tenderness and kindness are not signs of weakness and despair but manifestations of strength and resolution." - Khalil Gibran

World War 3 erupted in mid-1960's: NATO - Warsaw Pact Conflict multiplayer Interactive, choose one from several available countries

Im in

maybe this will force me to post more often than I have been because I'd hate to be WOGGED
    All the time I hear women say chivalry is dead...it's true, chivalry is dead and women killed it - Dave Chapelle (Killing them Softly)

Just your average Senior Member Warmaster Horus's Avatar
    Besancon, France: a stepping stone to greatness. I hope.

In.
    Gah, I can't resist Org Mafia...
    The Throne Room: "Less a forum, more a way of life." Econ21
    Don't hesitate to visit the Mead Hall! A little more reading, a little less shouting, please.
    Join the latest greatest installement of mafia games: Capo di Tutti Capi!
    Check out the Gahzette!
    By the by, are you interested in helping out the Gahzette? Think you could be a writer, reporting on the TW or Org community? Then check the Gahzette Thread or drop me a PM!

Back.

Duels aren't fatal. The game will be started when I'm ready. I'd be careful putting duels as standard in mafia. People don't need them in the games. For mine, I liked the martial tone and it makes it easier for the role variations. It also adds a little bit more trust and so on.

I'll be advertising a little more widely too first.

Can junior members post in the gameroom?

---

Weapons:
    A weapon has three values: Type(sword, knife, axe/mace/staff, bow, spear, fist), Penetrative Power (1-10), and cost

A weapon of the bow, spear or axe/mace/staff types requires two hands to use.

Armour has two values: protection, and cost
    Shields also have two values: protection, and cost

Combat system:

1) Weapons vs. Armour:
    Take each combatant's armour values and subtract from those their opponent's penetration values. If the result is positive, the combatant gains that bonus. Having a weapon with excess penetration doesn't help.

2) Weapon types
    Some weapon types have bonuses against others (bonus applied to fight value, not penetration). These are the bonuses/penalties:

Fist: no bonuses
    Knife: +1 against Fist
    Sword: +1 against knife
    Spear: +1 against staff/mace/axe
    Bow: +1 against axe/mace/staff, +1 against spear, -1 against shield
    Staff/Mace/Axe: +1 against shield

A non-proficient fighter cannot make use of the advantages of his weapon type and also suffers a -1 penalty. Staff/Mace/Axe type weapons generally have the highest penetrative powers, fists the lowest.

After these bonuses have been applied, the fight is concluded by the highest of the resultant fight values. The town may get some information on the Mongol champions on the morning of battle, and will be able to pick their own champion accordingly.

Also, every day there will be some minor votable event.
    E.g. Weapons crate discovered. One of the Assassin cult is found...etc.

'My intelligence is not just insulted, it's looking for revenge with a gun and no mercy. ' - Frogbeastegg

Just your average Senior Member Warmaster Horus's Avatar
    Besancon, France: a stepping stone to greatness. I hope.

As for the new members, they have to ask Sasaki to give them the permission to post in the Gameroom.
    In fact, they can't post in the whole "Miscellaneous" Section of the Org, except the Watchtower.

Now, the duel system sounds nice.

minor votable event
    That means we have to vote to decide what event we want, or?
    One of the Assassin cult is found
    What kind of consequences would that have?
    The Throne Room: "Less a forum, more a way of life." Econ21
    Don't hesitate to visit the Mead Hall! A little more reading, a little less shouting, please.
    Join the latest greatest installement of mafia games: Capo di Tutti Capi!
    Check out the Gahzette!
    By the by, are you interested in helping out the Gahzette? Think you could be a writer, reporting on the TW or Org community? Then check the Gahzette Thread or drop me a PM!

Back.

Quote:
    minor votable event
    That means we have to vote to decide what event we want, or?

My apologies, unclear: An event, which the town will have to vote how to resolve.

Quote:
    One of the Assassin cult is found
    What kind of consequences would that have?

Wait and see consequences :)

Wow the dueling system is so confusing...
    "I thought CA was unarmed? Unless he got some samurai swords or something... I only got some rocks and some sticks." Shlin in BR realizing he has no weapons what so ever.

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

Im in, I guess.

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    But when all is said and done
    It's you I love

Feeding the Peanut Gallery Senior Member Redleg's Avatar

I am in
    O well, seems like 'some' people decide to ruin a perfectly valid threat. Nice going guys... doc bean

Master Procrastinator Member TevashSzat's Avatar

in just dont expect me to be active till after APs
    "I do not know what I may appear to the world; but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me." - Issac Newton

15 so far.

About to spread the word, as it were, to the Frontroom and Backroom.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Confusing. Full of shifting alliances and ambiguity.

Of course I'm in.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

Add me.

hmmmm....i'll be in but give me the most inactive role.
    I support Israel

I'll give it a try
    When it occurs to a man that nature does not regard him as important and that she feels she would not maim the universe by disposing of him, he at first wishes to throw bricks at the temple, and he hates deeply the fact that there are no bricks and no temples
    -Stephen Crane

Still warlusting... Member Warluster's Avatar

In!

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lorenzo_H
    hmmmm....i'll be in but give me the most inactive role.
    Dead?
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast