Thread: How can I make Campaign Mode work?

Default How can I make Campaign Mode work?

hi everyone, i just started getting into modding rome total war. i kinda got the hang of it all after reading Epistolary Richard's guide for adding new units into the game. everything worked after i added a new unit, except for campaign. the new units even work in custom battle, but everytime i try to start a new campaign, it wont let me.

Since i added a new spartan unit into the game, i decided to play as the greek faction. so i choose greek and hit continue/next, but it just brings me back to the single player menu. would anyone know what might be wrong?

in custom battle, i chose every greek unit to play as, and they all work. other faction i just hit random and the game still loads properly. just campaign seems to not work. also, everytime i exit the game, a message pops up saying that i need to add two factions in the data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign - descr_strat.txt i added the command "-show_err" to the rtw shortcut, which is how i got this message.

any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Finder of Little Oddities Senior Member Makanyane's Avatar

Default Re: How can I make Campaign Mode work?

I'm assuming you added your new units to an army in descr_strat.txt ?

If so you have probably made an error where you added them (or if you are unlucky in some random part of file you typed character in by mistake!)

the message about needing to add two factions comes up because you have broken the descr_strat.txt file so it is not reading your factions. The error should be somewhere above the end of the second factions entry. If you can't spot it revert to the original one and make changes again.

And welcome to the forums
    Last edited by Makanyane; 05-09-2007 at 20:04.
    Not used mods before? Looking for something small and fun?!
    Download the:

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

Welcome indeed

As Mak said, it sounds like the problem is because of something you did to your entry in descr_strat.txt

If the only edit you've made is adding some of the new spartans, then it might save time just to start adding them to a vanilla (unmodded) descr_strat.txt

Remember, always make backups, often

Good luck.

thanks guys. but quite honestly, i didnt make any changes to the descr_stat.txt, except to move the greek_cities into playable factions. also added more denarii for the greeks to play with. this worked fine in 1.0, then i patched the game to 1.3 and then 1.5 this is the exact message that pops up:::

error in data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign - descr_strat.txt line 38, column 1.
    Expected faction - must add at least two factions to the world

and my dumb self forgot to make a back up of this file only. but then again, i didnt change all that much. if it's not too much of a hassle, can someone post the original descr_stat.txt ? thanks.

Finder of Little Oddities Senior Member Makanyane's Avatar

Have a quick look at the descr_strat file you are using. The early versions had the win_conditions section I've marked in bold, near the top:
    ...thrace
    numidia
    slave
    end

start_date -270 summer
    end_date 14 summer

win_conditions
    land_owner 20 100
    land_owner 20 100
    land_owner 20 100
    land_owner 20 100
    land_owner 20 100
    land_owner 20 100
    land_owner 20 100
    land_owner 20 100
    end_win_conditions

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    ; >>>> start of landmarks section <<<<

landmark pyramids_and_sphinx 181, 12....
    1.5 shouldn't have that and that will generate the error you are getting as 1.5 no longer recognises it.
    If you have that try deleting that whole section.

If I understood you right and you patched over a modded version you may have other problems as well though
    Not used mods before? Looking for something small and fun?!
    Download the:

oh wow.. that worked!!! thank you sooo very much!!! im sure no other problems should arise because i didnt start modding until after i patched the game to 1.5 :) thanks again for all the help guys!!