Thread: minor factions. do you cheat?

Default minor factions. do you cheat?

Although I played the other factions in vanilla and rtr, I still havent played any other faction than rome. So I figured out it was time to try out another, and decided for pontus because of their interesting units and strategical position. Now I played at VH/M and I must say, it is indeed very hard.

I know that you have to expand or disband units. So I tried to expand first, but in the time I had 3-4 cities (no reasonable income because i couldnt afford buildings) i had a debt of 20000. So I disbanded enough units to get in plus: that were all units except family members. Then I was attacked by some stacks of crappy seleucid spearmen and had no chance.

So I tried again with another approach, disbanding in the beginning to build up economy slow. It turned out my economy couldnt even pay my family members, and within 2-3 (269) years seleucids attacked again.

So what do you do? Fight you through with you initial units until you have all Asia Minor and can begin make a profit? This also means you will have to wait for more interesting units (the reason Ill play Pontus) until most of the campaign practically had come to an end.

Or do you use the add money cheat? I mean, on vh and with the EB scripts the AI gets lots of money, so maybe its just fair that the human player begin with say 40000 instead 5000?

Default Re: minor factions. do you cheat?

Sinope is a definate first. Trade from the sea is a big plus. Trapezous is also a good second if you want to try and dominate the seaboard. Byzantion is fantastic if you can get there, mines make for lots of money. Some people have sworn by taking Kappadokia from the Seleucids, but I see that has paramount to suicide.

Personally, I stand down all troops except for ones needed to take Sinope. You'll go into red this way, but not by much. Then take Trapezous, and rest for awhile. Build up trade in those two provinces and, because you'll be at war with KH get a treaty with the Maks asap for even more trade. As soon as you get back in the black, sweet talk AS with some money every turn, just to slow their wish to attack you. Also send a diplomat east to make friendly with all the soon-to-be enemies of AS. Once you have enough money for an expeditionary force either head across the sea to Byzantion for the mines, or up north to the Bosporous settlements to monopolise on sea trade in this area.

Thats always a good start. Also it will be slightly easier in the next release as the Pontic bodyguards won't suck as much; they are getting a much needed make-over.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader
    Hayasdan Faction Co-ordinator

Thanks for the tips. I didnt think about paying tribute to the Seleucids.

Quote Originally Posted by Foot
    Also it will be slightly easier in the next release as the Pontic bodyguards won't suck as much; they are getting a much needed make-over.

Foot
    Actually I was quite surprised that these units werent stronger, they had this cataphract look, but I found it difficult to rout even weak units with them.

Quote Originally Posted by kalkwerk
    Although I played the other factions in vanilla and rtr, I still havent played any other faction than rome. So I figured out it was time to try out another, and decided for pontus because of their interesting units and strategical position. Now I played at VH/M and I must say, it is indeed very hard.

I know that you have to expand or disband units. So I tried to expand first, but in the time I had 3-4 cities (no reasonable income because i couldnt afford buildings) i had a debt of 20000. So I disbanded enough units to get in plus: that were all units except family members. Then I was attacked by some stacks of crappy seleucid spearmen and had no chance.

So I tried again with another approach, disbanding in the beginning to build up economy slow. It turned out my economy couldnt even pay my family members, and within 2-3 (269) years seleucids attacked again.

So what do you do? Fight you through with you initial units until you have all Asia Minor and can begin make a profit? This also means you will have to wait for more interesting units (the reason Ill play Pontus) until most of the campaign practically had come to an end.

Or do you use the add money cheat? I mean, on vh and with the EB scripts the AI gets lots of money, so maybe its just fair that the human player begin with say 40000 instead 5000?
    I suggest to take all the rebel cities you can and position your army to attack and take the three seleukid cities as soon as possible. Once the seleukid are kicked off asia minor you may build your economy.

Quote Originally Posted by goolasso
    I suggest to take all the rebel cities you can and position your army to attack and take the three seleukid cities as soon as possible. Once the seleukid are kicked off asia minor you may build your economy.
    Have you done this?

Actually I was quite surprised that these units werent stronger, they had this cataphract look, but I found it difficult to rout even weak units with them.
    "Cataphract look"? Ha, they are glorified skirmishers. Overhand spears make for crap charging weapons so they won't break anyone in a hurry. The early bodyguard for them now is much better, full on charge and break them cavalry. I haven't yet seen their stats, it depends on what mount I can give them, but they will certainly be an asset for Pontos. Personally however, I never use my general's bodyguard if they are heavy cav unless I really have to. I find them too overpowering, particuarly the heavy cav ones. If they could be smaller, about 20-30 max on huge, I would be really happy. But thats my own personal tastes.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader
    Hayasdan Faction Co-ordinator

"Cataphract look"? Ha, they are glorified skirmishers. Overhand spears make for crap charging weapons so they won't break anyone in a hurry. The early bodyguard for them now is much better, full on charge and break them cavalry. I haven't yet seen their stats, it depends on what mount I can give them, but they will certainly be an asset for Pontos. Personally however, I never use my general's bodyguard if they are heavy cav unless I really have to. I find them too overpowering, particuarly the heavy cav ones. If they could be smaller, about 20-30 max on huge, I would be really happy. But thats my own personal tastes.

Foot
    Well it depends on the faction I guess. As Rome I avoid using the bodyguards for the commanding general (but not for the tribuni), but for other factions it makes sense that the general shows his personal courage. But I dont know what honour code they had in Pontus, probably rather like Dareios.

What I did in my new Pontus campaign is first take all units but my 70 year old king and 1 unit and take Sinope. Then I went for Nikia, since I know the Seleucids will try to soon and it will cause a war between us*I wish you had the option to refuse to defend those rebel cities sometimes* that I definately can't afford. I've just taken Byzantium, after I sit back and build up a new army I'll go after Trapezous, Ani-Kamah, and Ankyra.
    I shouldn't have to live in a world where all the good points are horrible ones.

Is he hurt? Everybody asks that. Nobody ever says, 'What a mess! I hope the doctor is not emotionally harmed by having to deal with it.'

Send one army to Sinope, and one to Mazaka. It will be 20 turns before the AS sends a good army against you. With the army in Sinope, attack Nikaia. With the army from Mazaka, unite with Nikaia army outside Ipsos. Then go for Sardis. Take Pergamon, Halikarnassos and Side. Then go for Byzantion. You'll do fine. Fight every battle.

Try one of the money scripts. This is an answer to both this and the "EB on M/M thread".

Have you done this?
    First I've taken sinope, then byzantium and the city before it (I don't remember the name). It was then the turn of ipsos and the other seleukid city. Finally return to mazakia. At this point the seleukid could attack you only from the mountain pass for mazakia (the one without the rebel city). I've placed there in the border a fortification with a unit of skirmisher and the seleukid stopped for several turns (stupid AI!!!). You can take a breath, repay the debts (build slingers at the start, don't worry about the debt), conquer pergamon, halikarnasso, the galatian city (it's not a good choice to attack those cities at the start, because of their strong armies), etc... This worked for me even at VH/VH! If you leave in peace the seleukids they will surely attack from multiple fronts an their general will recruit all the mercenaries available.
    Last edited by goolasso; 05-10-2007 at 08:51.

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

Sinope is a definate first. Trade from the sea is a big plus. Trapezous is also a good second if you want to try and dominate the seaboard. Byzantion is fantastic if you can get there, mines make for lots of money.
    I'll add that if you want to stay friendly with the Arche Seleukeia as long as possible, you should take Nikea (or whatever the city next to Byzantion is called) fairly early.

(there's a script that causes you to be at war with any faction that attacks that city or Byzantion)