Thread: Timescale change problems

Exclamation Timescale change problems

I'm not interested in MODing my M2TW, 'coz i'm very satisfied with its engine, units, history, realism..and so on. BUT ONE THING should be mended=...the TIMESCALE....this means, that in average-whitout modding M2TW- one turn is equal to 2 years in the game. It makes the game so slownly in improvements, and battle preparations. Did take really 2-3 years to cross England with an army? I think NOT. Did take 4-8 years to build a simple church (not a cathedral)? Nooo

So I decided, that I try to modify the TIMESCALE in the game. I found on my own the text file, what I think needed...the desc_start.txt. It contains the playable, unlockable, and nonplayable nations ( I unlocked my nation , the hungarians )..and here you can find a word timescale. After it in the same row, there is a number...It was 2.00...I understand , that it means for me the one turn=2years..I wrote it to 0.50..This succeeded, 'coz in the new campaigne, what I begun after this simple MODing one turn meant only a half year in the game. I WAS HAPPY, till I begun to think about its possibe effection on the game other features..like historical events ( like plague, mongols, the gunpowder appearance..and so on)...The QUESTION IS=
    After this little mending, the mongols will appear after 1200 (ca. 1210-20), and plague won't appear in the earlier times, then it was in the original 1turn=2years situation?? So the question is , that the game uses the number of turns or the yearnumber to make a historical event, or anything else...AND What do you think about this changes in my game, will it cause an error while I'm playing, or will it make differences in the behavior of the nations, and its improvements, and anything????

Default Re: Timescale change problems

I have also question about this (dont have M2TW yet).
    Is it possible to get 4 turns per year by only changing timescale in M2TW, with correct aging of characters, or do we still need script to do the work?
    Thanks.

Harbinger of... saliva Member alpaca's Avatar

Moved to modding questions.

And is it possible to change the timescale in a current campeign, or do you need to start a new one for the changes to occur?
    "Cum vellet, congrederetur: intellecturum, quid invicti Germani, exercitatissimi in armis, qui inter annos xiiii tectum non subissent, virtute possent."
    Ariovist in Ceasar's De Bello Gallico

Aktacy Bei Member Eastside Character's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by VictorDeCaen
    So the question is , that the game uses the number of turns or the yearnumber to make a historical event, or anything else...
    And the answer is yes, the game uses turns for triggering historical events.

Quote Originally Posted by VictorDeCaen
    AND What do you think about this changes in my game, will it cause an error while I'm playing, or will it make differences in the behavior of the nations, and its improvements, and anything????
    I think the change is in plus, but this is my due to personal likes and dislikes. As for any errors caused by the changed turn-year ratio I must say that I changed my game to 1year=2turns and haven't experienced ANY problems/crashes connected with it. Concerning the behavior of AI controlled factions I'm not really sure as in what way your change can make them act differently than in vanilla. I haven't tested it thoroughly but my guess would be that there is no major difference in how the AI acts.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles Sueborum
    And is it possible to change the timescale in a current campeign, or do you need to start a new one for the changes to occur?
    I think you need to start a new campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by LorDBulA
    I have also question about this (dont have M2TW yet).
    Is it possible to get 4 turns per year by only changing timescale in M2TW, with correct aging of characters, or do we still need script to do the work?
    Thanks.
    I suspect it is possible but I havent try this. Theoretically you just need to change the year-turn ratio from 2.0 to 0.25. The characters will however always age 1 year every 2 turns. I don't know if a script will do a trick here as I'm not into scripting.

Cheers
    EC
    Last edited by Eastside Character; 05-16-2007 at 14:48.

The characters will however always age 1 year every 2 turns.
    Is that sure? If so it' terrible. In RTW characters always aged in winter.

And the answer is yes, the game uses turns for triggering historical events.[/QUOTE]
    I believe the answer is yes, but that events are triggered by years, not number of turns. So, if an event happens in the year 1180, no matter how many turn-per-year you select, an event will still happen in the year 1180.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastside Character
    I suspect it is possible but I havent try this. Theoretically you just need to change the year-turn ratio from 2.0 to 0.25. The characters will however always age 1 year every 2 turns. I don't know if a script will do a trick here as I'm not into scripting.
    Wrong, characters in M2TW age one year every Winter turn. So, its the number of Winter turns that pass that determines a character's age in years.
    Marcus Camillus

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."
    -- William Shedd

Relentless Bughunter Senior Member FactionHeir's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Camillus
    I believe the answer is yes, but that events are triggered by years, not number of turns. So, if an event happens in the year 1180, no matter how many turn-per-year you select, an event will still happen in the year 1180.
    Yes and no. Events are triggered by years, but years passed, not set years.
    I.e. if an event is to occur at 48 52, it means that at timescale = 1, it will happen after 48-52 turns. On timescale = 2, it will happen after 24-26 turns etc.
    Want gunpowder, mongols, and timurids to appear when YOU do?
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Click here to read the solution
    Annoyed at laggy battles? Check this thread out for your performance needs
    Got low fps during siege battles in particular? This tutorial is for you
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)