Thread: Nubia for the Nubians!

Default Nubia for the Nubians!

I don't know how to do mods, but I think a Nubia mod might be interesting.

The Nubian spearmen don't make much sense. First, the Nubians were famous for their bowmen, not their spearmen. Secondly, for most of the period covered by the game the Orthodox church (Alexandrian branch) was dominant in Nubia, so these should be Orthodox units . (The same applies to Abyssinian Guards, but one thing at a time.)

So, I would be interested to see a mod something like this:

1: a new territory (possibly unlocked Sahara, even though it is in the wrong spot) for the Nubians, either as Orthodox rebels or as an Orthodox faction

2: Fine quality Nubian archer units, which can only be raised in Nubia or by the Nubians. Might as well let them have Abyssinian guards too.

3: Perhaps it wouldn't be fair to take away the Nubian spearmen from the Muslim factions and upset their roster. Besides, I think the in-game description of this unit specifies that not all "Nubian" spearmen are really from Nubia. So I think it would be fine for the Muslims to keep that unit.

Unfortunately, it wouldn't be possible to be completely historically accurate. Nubia was not really a single united kingdom. There is nothing in the game to reflect the high political importance of mothers of kings, or the fact that the throne was inherited through the female line, or that kings had to be priests, etc. Oh, well.

Anyway, does anyone know if a Nubia mod exists? Is anyone interested in making such a mod? Would anyone else like such a mod?

Actually, it would be an amusing twist if a black African power overran Europe.
    In those simple times there was a great wonder and mystery in life. Man walked in fear and solemnity, with Heaven very close above his head, and Hell below his very feet. God's visible hand was everywhere, in the rainbow and the comet, in the thunder and the wind. The Devil too raged openly upon the earth; he skulked behind the hedge-rows in the gloaming; he laughed loudly in the night-time; he clawed the dying sinner, pounced on the unbaptized babe, and twisted the limbs of the epileptic. A foul fiend slunk ever by a man's side and whispered villainies in his ear, while above him there hovered an angel of grace . . .

Arthur Conan Doyle

Default Re: Nubia for the Nubians!

I believe you're referring to the Makurians, the most dominant Nubian kingdom of the period? The Nubian Spearmen in the game are not representative of Makurians but of Nubians in general. I believe they're meant to represent the slaves taken from the border provinces and and possibly other non Nubian sub-Saharan African peoples. I have them modded to throw javelins to give them some more versatility.

You know, I çuite like the new "Egyptian feel" of the Egyptians, in the PM. Having those very-homeland restricted nubian axemen and spearmen gives it a "Old Egypt with a slight islamic facelift" feel. That, and a "Heart of Darkness" Africa surge feel. Not sure which. But it does give that impression.

(Now, if the Byzantines were prone to treachery and internecine wars as described in the campaign starting menu... you don't get too much of a "Cunning and Devious Greeks" feeling with Emperors with such a huge influence that can take over half the world without suffering a bloat)
    Iä Cthulhu!

Thanks for clearing the water, Cambyses II. Actually, I was lumping all Nubian kingdoms together for convenience. That way, they could be dealt with as just one province. But if you are correct, and the Nubians in the game are slaves of the Muslims, then I guess a Nubia mod is moot.
    In those simple times there was a great wonder and mystery in life. Man walked in fear and solemnity, with Heaven very close above his head, and Hell below his very feet. God's visible hand was everywhere, in the rainbow and the comet, in the thunder and the wind. The Devil too raged openly upon the earth; he skulked behind the hedge-rows in the gloaming; he laughed loudly in the night-time; he clawed the dying sinner, pounced on the unbaptized babe, and twisted the limbs of the epileptic. A foul fiend slunk ever by a man's side and whispered villainies in his ear, while above him there hovered an angel of grace . . .

Arthur Conan Doyle