Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blair sets departure date

Default Blair sets departure date

I'm surprised no-one has posted this yet. Anyroad, as Lyntons bestest pal, I would like to say this to him.

Good riddance to bad rubbish and don't let the door hit your arse on the way out.

linky

So, what does the Orgahs think of the man? Should have gone sooner? Or should he have given it, say, another 10 years?

American viewpoints especially welcome. You lot love him over there.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Jillian & Allison's Daddy Senior Member Don Corleone's Avatar

Default Re: Blair sets departure date

Isn't it funny, you guys loved Clinton and we loved Blair? Maybe that's the answer, Slick Willy in Westminster and tony Tony comes to DC?

I think it's sad and unfortunate that our current administration has no concept of perception in the world at large. Rather than being viewed as a partner, with his own concerns and own decisions to make, our ham-handedness allowed Blair's enemies to portray him as a lapdog.

I understand he may not have had the greatest run with domestic policy. I think we know a thing or two about that as well.

All I have to say is I hope the 'special friendship' can survive Gordon Brown. Things are definitely going to be different this summer.

Edit: What am I worried about. If it could survive "W" (I think we all know how popular he is at large in the UK), I think it can survive anything. Perhaps Louis licking his chops waiting in the wings might be a tad premature.
    Last edited by Don Corleone; 05-10-2007 at 15:43.
    "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
    Don Vito Corleone: The Godfather, Part 1.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneApache
    American viewpoints especially welcome. You lot love him over there.
    I think the UK as a whole has been an over the top gracious friend. The fact that Blair stuck with it in Iraq even in later stages of the event strikes me as suspect. I think he might have thought that loyalty would equal influence, sadly he mistook the current bush with his father.

That said, I dont know a great deal about his domestic policies to comment at length, the northern Ireland bit the last few days is a nice end for him, but wasnt the momentum heading in this direction anyway, with or without Blair?

I think his stand on the environment is noble and I had hoped that the influence or "capital" he had attained with Bush through his loyalty would have gotten more out of the Bush admin by way of pushing green issues.

In the end Im conflicted about Blair in relation to the U.S. Im not sure his intentions were national or global (by way of influence), that said he certainly set up good will with the american voting public for his loyalty and that might pay dividends down the road.
    There are few things more annoying than some idiot who has never done anything trying to say definitively how something should be done.

Sua Sponte

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

You've only got 48 more days of Blair. I suggest long walks, hand-holding, maybe writing each other a poem. Savor these last few precious moments of your PM.

Quote Originally Posted by article
    He acknowledged his government had not always lived up to high expectations but said he had been "very blessed" to lead "the greatest nation on earth".
    *looks at the anti-bristishism thread*

Well, I wish him all the best, now that he finally made a good decision.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

RIP Tosa, my trolling end now Senior Member Devastatin Dave's Avatar

Good guy, especially for a liberal. Best of luck to him. Hopefully the Brits will find someone with testicles to replace him, but I fear they've become very French on the Island lately.
    RIP Tosa

Blair a liberal?
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Blair a liberal?
    To some people, everyone who isn't a member of the American Republican party is a liberal. And then there are the RINOs, they're liberals too, don'cha know.

Also note how dear Dave hasn't heard about, or hasn't understood the significance of the new French president. Time to pick a new country for ending all arguments, sir.

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

He is dishonest, corrupt and incompetant. His lasting legacy will be the final death of faith in British Politics.

I will concede than much of the target-culture Blair pushed was pioneered by John Major but just because he didn't invent it, that gives him no excuse to perpetuate it up the wazoo.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

RIP Tosa, my trolling end now Senior Member Devastatin Dave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    To some people, everyone who isn't a member of the American Republican party is a liberal. And then there are the RINOs, they're liberals too, don'cha know.

Also note how dear Dave hasn't heard about, or hasn't understood the significance of the new French president. Time to pick a new country for ending all arguments, sir.
    He is the leader of the Labor party correct. Anyway, the French election and the reaction of its people (including their "youths") shows that they have a long way to go.
    But then again you're a "independent" who never criticizes anyone on the left. So, in a way, we are more alike than you realise. Wrap your head around that one my prehensilled tailed friend.
    RIP Tosa

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

The Labour Party currently occupies the Left of the Political spectrum, the LibDems the centre Left and the Conservatives the centre Right.

Don't let the name fall you.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Second-hand chariot salesman Senior Member macsen rufus's Avatar

Blair a liberal?
    From DD's perspective, I'm sure he is for all we might see him as an Orwellian schemer and authoritarian over here.

@Odin:

I think his stand on the environment is noble
    IMHO I think his (meagre) environmental credentials went right out of the window when he took power. That to my mind was the first big disappointment with "New Labour". He might shine against Bush, but that's saying naff all. Still, it would be naiive to expect any political party to honour election pledges.

I think his legacy will be tainted by Iraq, the increasing centralization of power and the surveillance state, and the undermining of cabinet government.

Goodness only knows what Brown will really be like. I find him a lot harder to read, although I expect he'll be more steady and thoughtful, and less impulsive than Blair. But that impression could as easily have come from the Brown spin dept.

Recent developments in Ulster will go on the plus side of his record, for sure, but who can tell how much of that was down to him personally, or just the zeitgeist.

I can't help wondering what the past few years would have been like if John Smith hadn't died when he did, I believe he had the makings of a fine statesman. Nonetheless, for him or agin him, Blair was definitely a significant figure and his legacy will not be truly understood or evaluated for at least another decade or so.
    ANCIENT: TW

A mod for Medieval:TW (with VI)

Discussion forum thread

Download A Game of Thrones Mod v1.4

Quote Originally Posted by macsen rufus
    @Odin:

IMHO I think his (meagre) environmental credentials went right out of the window when he took power. That to my mind was the first big disappointment with "New Labour". He might shine against Bush, but that's saying naff all. Still, it would be naiive to expect any political party to honour election pledges.

I think his legacy will be tainted by Iraq, the increasing centralization of power and the surveillance state, and the undermining of cabinet government.

Goodness only knows what Brown will really be like. I find him a lot harder to read, although I expect he'll be more steady and thoughtful, and less impulsive than Blair. But that impression could as easily have come from the Brown spin dept.

Recent developments in Ulster will go on the plus side of his record, for sure, but who can tell how much of that was down to him personally, or just the zeitgeist.

I can't help wondering what the past few years would have been like if John Smith hadn't died when he did, I believe he had the makings of a fine statesman. Nonetheless, for him or agin him, Blair was definitely a significant figure and his legacy will not be truly understood or evaluated for at least another decade or so.
    Odd, his portrayl in the US media as a champion of the environment was played out rather loudly, as I reflect thats when he was taking over the EU presidency. Green issues are a little indulgence of mine (dont tell my conservative friends), and, again, from his portrayl here he certainly made the issue a talking point.

I think the taint of Iraq is going to follow a lot of people, however I think Blair's rational was slightly more noble then some. I recall a speech he gave after 9/11 that he vowed to stand "shoulder to shoulder" with the U.S. on terrorism.

While hindsight allows us to classify that as a poor decision (in the case of Iraq) I as an american appreciated it. For me, i'll remember that. The environmental issue is hard to contrast and compare because here in the states we are so far in backward that Blair seems a beacon. AS world leaders go, with clout in the U.S. he was the most vocal "green" I heard.

Not being schooled in all the goings on in Northern Ireland it seemed to me that the march toward power sharing was the only conclusion left after all that was under the bridge. Perhaps Blair benefits from the timing? It did happen under his watch, and while it would be fashionable to minimalize his influence on that outcome, I'll give him a check mark on the positive side for it.
    There are few things more annoying than some idiot who has never done anything trying to say definitively how something should be done.

Sua Sponte

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

I'm surprised no-one has posted this yet.
    I read it earlier today, but, like everybody else here, we didn't want to rob you of your glorious moment.

My opinion of Blair is ambiguous. I think the bad aspects will be posted by plenty of others in this thread. As to the good, here's something for all you British to ponder about: over roughly the past decade, which country has seen the most progress, has had the better understanding of the challenges and opportunities of globalisation, has had the better government: France under Chirac, America under Bush, Italy under Berlusconi, Germany under Schröder, or Britain under Tony Blair?

Sink your teeth into that one, IA.
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm no fan of Blair. But I shudder at what Brown unleashed will do. Under his direction we have increased the complexity of the tax system every year until we have the honour of having the longest in the world.

So, apart from increasing complexity of, well, possibly everything I imagine a shift the the Left as again money is lavished on Public Spending; the Unions might also get a closer relationship again as well.

Best he stayed on so we can all bemoan the Tories for a few years...

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

He is dishonest, corrupt and incompetant.
    Perhaps he will enter Irish politics .

On a positive note Blair did carry on Smiths much needed reform of the Labour party , though some may consider that he went too far .
    Also sticking with the Peace process , funny that Blair announces his actual departure and Ahern announces that he is going to stand down .

What he will probably be remembered for as his legacy is the complete mess and deciet over Iraq .

Pining for the glory days... Member lancelot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Odin
    I think his stand on the environment is noble...
    Oh yea, after announcing his decision to step down today in his constituency he takes a private jet back to London...

What an eco warrior.

On the thread topic...the only reason I can think of that I want him to stay is that his replacement could be worse...
    "England expects that every man will do his duty" Lord Nelson

"Extinction to all traitors" Megatron

"Lisa, if the Bible has taught us nothing else, and it hasn't, it's that girls should stick to girls sports, such as hot oil wrestling and foxy boxing and such and such." Homer Simpson

He's going on my birthday.
    it's the **** that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come

Come to daddy Member Geoffrey S's Avatar

I'd be happier about him going if it didn't mean we're headed for a Britain under Cameron...

There was a lot of promise in Blair, backed up by an incredible pr machine in the first years. Just think what kind of a PM he could have been and be remembered as if the promises had matched up to his obvious skills! I guess his time in office will be remembered as a wasted oppurtunity for real, effective change.
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

Quote Originally Posted by lancelot
    Oh yea, after announcing his decision to step down today in his constituency he takes a private jet back to London...

What an eco warrior.

curious you quoted me, but thus my response....

Based on my comparative of what we have here in the U.S. he's far more seasoned a combantant in the eco war, but far be it from me to praise someone from another country

Sua Sponte

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

I like Tony Blair - personally, he's quick witted and charming; politically, he got it wrong on Iraq but has overseen significant improvements in most areas of British life (economic, educational, health, Northern Ireland, even crime).

But I was about to curse him for being a war criminal this evening when I heard a rumour on the Channel 4 News that the official secrets trial concluded today concerned a discussion between him and GWB over bombing Al Jazeera. Thankfully, I checked online and found out he argued against such a move (apparently to be carried out against AJs HQ in Qatar, although some say GWB was not serious in his proposal to bomb an allied country).

However, the fact that my immediate reaction was to believe he was colluding in such a despicable move does underline that he has lost even my trust in his judgement.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Who knows? Maybe the Liberals will suddenly wina majority -- or even those SNP chaps. Now there'd be a bit of fun.

"The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Arlington, Texas, United States of America.

Quote Originally Posted by macsen rufus
    He may not have been the greatest eco minded president but Bush did an amazing amount of ecological stuff in Texas while governor. He was the governor who lead Texas to be the leading state in wind power. Without his determination to help free Texas from oil and other forms of power, electricity would be pricey. Not to mention the massive amount of innovation that has been created in wind farms from the rapid growth in Texas. The sheer size of these monsters compared to what they were 10 years ago is amazing.

There are now parts of Texas that are nearly exclusively serviced electricity by wind energy. Bush is solely to thank for this.

As for Blair, sad day, he was a good man, and a good leader. He had the balls to lead, and not to be chained to the gallop poll's. Sad, if only he had the will to stay to be voted out honorably.

The USA has lost a great friend today.
    Wine is a bit different, as I am sure even kids will like it.
    BigTex
    "Hilary Clinton is the devil"
    ~Texas proverb

As for Blair, sad day, he was a good man, and a good leader. He had the balls to lead, and not to be chained to the gallop poll's. Sad, if only he had the will to stay to be voted out honorably
    Unfortunately he his and did. His entire agenda was tabloid driven, even the Iraq war. He thought that the populace would 'come around' to his decision.

Terrified of what happened to Kinnock in the '92 election, when the media slaughtered the Welsh wind bag, he promoted a culture of spin and double, or even triple announcements on the same thing.

The man is fixated by the media.

Anyway here's fun clip of our great leader...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9dg8Eoj3RM

Blog Entries

Personally, I've always been a bit iffy on Blair. I'm not so sure that Americans love Britain because of Blair, rather the other way around. As I recall Americans also liked Churchill, Thatcher, and *gasp* Majors.

I'll be just as glad to see GWB go as Blair. OTH I'm rather worried about what lies ahead, I can't imagine the level of political incompetance to get any lower than it has on both sides of the pond, but then again, I've been wrong before...

Come to daddy Member Geoffrey S's Avatar

"The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffrey S
    Absolutley freakin' brilliant.

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

A taste of our incoming Great Leader, as interpreted by Rory Bremner.

while im normally the first to jump on the "complain about blair" bandwagon i have to say i dont think any of the opposition through out the years would have done as well - we occupy a very bad place in politics right now... all the leaders are morons...

Frankly if Brown comes to power i think ill vote for blair mark 2 aka Cameron even tho i think he will be an awful leader - anything to avoid Brown

Awaiting the Rapture Member rotorgun's Avatar

While there are many who can find fault with him, and I have a few bones to pick with him myself, I cannot bring myself to dislike him. As he has been a faithful freind to the United States, I honor him. It takes great courage to remain faithful to your allies, especially when they are making such obvious blunders. I will also miss his performances during PM time, which I am able to watch from time to time on CSPAN here in the States.

Good luck Mr. Blair.

Incidentally, he has an open invitation to visit my family and I any time that he should care to visit. It would be an honor to have him as our guest.
    Rotorgun
    ...the general must neither be so undecided that he entirely distrusts himself, nor so obstinate as not to think that anyone can have a better idea...for such a man...is bound to make many costly mistakes
    Onasander

Editing my posts due to poor typing and grammer is a way of life.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast